Khorne's Eternal Hunt - KrautScientist's chaotic WIP thread: Fine-tuning Eightbound...

Cheers, guys! :)

@ ElDuderino: Hmm, I'd say you shouldn't expect too much scultping from me in the future: It's a technique that I can fall back on whenever it's required, but it's not really something that I consider a lot of fun: The stickiness and messiness of it all doesn't really appeal to me, for starters, and it requires far too much patience too ;)

@ LordVelype: An icon of Khorne on the forehead just doesn't seem right to me. Now I realise that this is basically arguing fluff metaphysics, but while Angron is indeed Khorne's greatest champion in the 40k setting, there's also the fact that the guy didn't even know he was wohrshipping Khorne until he was turned into a Daemon Prince. Plus it would just seem too on the nose for my taste -- but there are many icons of Khorne scattered all over the model, so that does seem a bit hypocritical ;)

I settled on a slightly different approach, in the end: I was able to pick up some new hobby supplies in Hanover yesterday, and so I broke out the GS earlier today for some final tweaks: I would have been prepared to add much more cables to Angron's head, but he did feel "finished" a pretty short way in, actually. So here's what the finished head looks like now:

daemon-primarch-angron-wip-34.jpg

Regarding the forehead, I decided to add some small - ambiguously metallic - rivets to Angron's brow as another callback to the Alex Boyd depiction of him.

I also used some GS to add some more detail around his spine and make the whole area look extra icky:

daemon-primarch-angron-wip-35.jpg

So all that's missing is another layer of carefully applied Liquid GS, and then the Lord of the Twelfth Legion might actually be ready for his paintjob...

As always, let me know what you think! :)

Exelent stuff there. the forehead looks a lot more finished in that shot I reckon, the rivets work well and are nice and subtle yet give it the final polish.

Spine is looking ace and a bit of liquid greenstuff should finish the blend between plastic and sculpting up a treat.

Just had some new supplies myself turn up, bunch of silicon tip clay shapers so I'm hoping to get smother results next time I pick up tools. I love using the little one I have but it's not quite the right shape for fully smoothing out bigger areas. 

Cheers, mate! I definitely took some cues from your brilliantly disturbing Daemon Knight's spine when working on Angron, trying to go for a similarly disgusting - albeit much simpler - effect. Really looking forward to seeing the next update on your Knight, by the way! :)

I agree about he icon knifed into his forehead - not necessarily because of fluff reasons, but mostly because it wouldn't seem right for Angron. His face, head and that spine are truly a brilliant piece of sculpting and converting. And those campaign studs hearken back to his days as a 'mortal' in a very smart way. :tu:

I can't wait to see him painted in that beautiful scheme of yours.

Looking very in character for him there. I do like how you are thinking about the choices rather than just slapping on some more Khorne tat for the sake of it. Paint should be tricky but awesome.

Are you planning to go for a darker cooler than your Bloodthirster?

Again, thanks a lot, guys! :)

@ Auggs: I cannot even quite explain why, but I feel exactly the same way: A tattoo or brand with the icon of Khorne on the forehead just seems out of character for him, doesn't it? Good thing I could fall back on the rivets from the artwork ;)

@ Thousand Eyes: Cheers, mate! You'd be surprised at how many parts have been planned again and again before settling on a final version without ever even touching the model: The planning stages for this particular conversion started over a year ago, when I received the second Bloodthirster, and it has taken me until now to actually get started ;) Regarding the skin colour, it will actually be a tad brighter than the one used one my Bloodthirster: Check out the Old Skool Bloodletter on the previous page for the skin tone I will be going for.

@ TRIBUN & Brother-Captain Arkhan: Cheers, guys! :)

So with the last layer of Liquid GS now well dry, here's one last round of pictures of the finished conversion before painting shall begin at some point in the indeterminate future ;)

daemon-primarch-angron-wip-36.jpg

daemon-primarch-angron-wip-37.jpg

daemon-primarch-angron-wip-38.jpg

daemon-primarch-angron-wip-39.jpg

daemon-primarch-angron-wip-40.jpg

daemon-primarch-angron-wip-41.jpg

daemon-primarch-angron-wip-42.jpg

Although not visible in the above pictures, some GS has been added to the curved inside of the Space marine torso piece to resemble the Astartes' torn flesh and muscle -- I think it's going to look pretty convincing once painted.

And here's the finished spine:

daemon-primarch-angron-wip-43.jpg

daemon-primarch-angron-wip-44.jpgI think the

I think the Liquid GS has done a pretty good job of blending the sculpted areas and the rest of the model's back together.

daemon-primarch-angron-wip-45.jpg

I am really happy with the way Angron's face has come out, even if the Lord of the Twelfth Legion seems to be suffering from a slightly misaligned jaw...

daemon-primarch-angron-wip-46.jpg

And here's another look at the tangle of cables, tendrils and chains on Angron's head:

daemon-primarch-angron-wip-47.jpg

daemon-primarch-angron-wip-48.jpg

And finally, a comparison picture with Angron next to my first Bloodthirster: Of course there's no complete disguising the fact that the base model is identical, but I think that I've still done a fairly good job of making Angron look different in silhouette and general direction:

daemon-primarch-angron-wip-49.jpg

So yeah, that's my finished Angron conversion. Phew, this has been quite a ride ;)

In other news, the Khornate Marine Brother Jim very kindly built for me arrived on my doorstep earlier today:

brother-jims-huntmaster-wip-1.jpg

brother-jims-huntmaster-wip-2.jpg

What a wonderful surprise! And what an absolutely excellent conversion! Thanks again, mate! I'll try my very best to do him justice!

Angrons looking great buddy. I can't wait to get mine unpacked and finished. Hopefully I can avoid any breakage in the move.

I saw that guy over in Brother Jims thread. I love the laden backpack look. I'd never have thought of building back pack up like that. :tu:

Thanks, guys! :)

@ Biohazard: Tell me about it -- I can't wait for your next Angron-related update, either! ;) As for Brother Jim's backpacks: Yes, exactly: It's something I would never have come up with myself, but in hindsight, the huge backpacks are such an integral part of the 3.5 Codex artwork, and it's frankly baffling that Brother Jim seems to have been the first hobbyist to pick up on that -- and in a very effective way, no less!

Hehehe just as planned :)

Thanks guys, I like to think the backpack solution came out of my desire to use the chaos helms and horns, without using the chaos helms and horns!

You just need something to mount all those cool bits on.

Krauty your Angron is so good, he actually scares me. Thanks for all the advice man!

(The dudesman looks way better in your thread already! I can't wait to see him painted! Enjoy!)

Hehehe just as planned :)

[snip]

Oi! Don't blasphem in this sacred Khornate thread!! ;)

Also, 'Krauty' sounds so much better than K-Sci! :d :tu:

Edit: corrected darn iPad touchpad typing

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

I am really happy with the way Angron's face has come out, even if the Lord of the Twelfth Legion seems to be suffering from a slightly misaligned jaw...

That's fine, daemons are always distending or dislocating their jaws when they want to swallow something juicy, like say sucking the gooey bits out of that grey knight. Heck maybe he'll just open wide and swallow it down crunching up the armour on the way. 

Seriously can't wait to see this guy get some paints and properly happy to have contributed with some inspiration.

On that note I'll be packing tomorrow night to go back to Korea on Sunday. The Knight is coming with me to keep me entertained in the evenings, it's either that or do as our contractors do; beer and hookers (seriously). I have a plastic crack habit I can't afford that kind of thing (plus the wife might get grumpy among other things).

The only issue is if the hotel room for the first 5 nights has enough light and a good desk and that I can blag one of the two rooms with a desk in the apartment once there's space. Assuming that goes fine expect more updates next week. 

Also, 'Krauty' sounds so much better than K-Sci! :biggrin.::thumbsup:

Huh. Yeah, Which is why, like, it's what everyone online apart from this particular forum has been calling me for years. Go figure :wink:

Anyway, thanks for the continued support, everyone! Today  have this to share with you:

daemon-primarch-angron-pip-5.jpg

daemon-primarch-angron-pip-6.jpg

Look, everyone! It's Angron in speedoes! What a Dreamboat! :wink:

To get the obvious question out of the way first: No, Angron is not going to make an appearance as an eleventh hour ETL vow. I've seriously considered it (a lot, in fact), and although it might be tempting, the project is just too big to rush it along, as I will need to figure out several things about the paintjob first, and I just won't have the time to really pull it all off during the next week. As much as I would love to enter this model in the ETL, I don't want to end up with yet another failed vow (like last year) and with having to wear that stupid oathbreaker badge for another year. And most of all, I want this model to be the best it can possibly be -- for obvious reasons.

Only the skin has been painted so far, but the pictures will at least give you a good idea about the skin tone. There's always a bit of anticipation when painting a converted area, because while we all tend to give conversions a bit of leeway while everything's still grey and green, it all needs to blend together when actually painted. And I have to say I am really rather happy with the whole head and neck area:

daemon-primarch-angron-pip-7.jpg

daemon-primarch-angron-pip-8.jpg

daemon-primarch-angron-pip-9.jpg

With the skin now mostly finished, the model has begun to resemble the artwork it was based on even more closely, which is quite a nice surprise!

I have also been working a bit more on Brother Jim's gift: Now the bare classic berzerker head Jim included with the model is certainly one of my favourites, but it already appears multiple times across my army, and these days I am trying to avoid repeating the same head too often. So I tried several options I had already set aside for this occasion, but in the end, I realised that nothing short of a custom helmet would do, so I made this:

brother-jims-huntmaster-wip-3.jpg

brother-jims-huntmaster-wip-4.jpg

brother-jims-huntmaster-wip-5.jpg

brother-jims-huntmaster-wip-6.jpg

As always, let me know what you think! :smile.:

EDIT: Huzzah! 2,000 posts ;)

Edited by KrautScientist

Hidden Content

Also, 'Krauty' sounds so much better than K-Sci! :biggrin.::thumbsup:

Huh. Yeah, Which is why, like, it's what everyone online apart from this particular forum has been calling me for years. Go figure :wink:

Never knew that, as this is the only online hobby thing I follow or participate in - so I guess the name is apt indeed! ;)

Cool helmet on the Jim-zerker. I love that crest, and the combination with the helmet is genius. Angry Ron is coming along nicely. The leeway given on the head sculpt was justified, and the result stands for itself. :yes:  

That's an awesome helm Krautster I knew you would do him justice. My little dudes growing up so fast; he's even got his own helm. I'm wrapped that you are pleased with the mini.

Angron is looking nice, I've said it before but he really scares the gaff out of me. The destended jaw just makes him look more alive (and hungry!)

Thanks a lot, guys! :)

That's an awesome helm Krautster I knew you would do him justice. My little dudes growing up so fast; he's even got his own helm. I'm wrapped that you are pleased with the mini.

So glad to hear you like the helmet, mate! Your comment is basically the official seal of approval I needed ;) So the helmet it is.

As for Angron, the head and face area still isn't finished, but I absolutely wanted to share some progress shots with you, mostly because I was so nervous about how this area would turn out:

daemon-primarch-angron-pip-11.jpg

daemon-primarch-angron-pip-12.jpg

daemon-primarch-angron-pip-15.jpg

From the beginning, I knew that I wanted to pick out some of the cabling in metallic colours, while the majority would be left in red, in order to show how the Butcher's Nails on Angron's head have turned into something disturbingly organic. The balance wasn't easy to get right, but in the end I decided to paint the smaller, ribbed cables metallic and leave the more organic looking tendrils as they were, and I have to say that I am really rather happy with the result!

Here you can see a top down view of the cables and chains nestled into Angron's mane:

daemon-primarch-angron-pip-13.jpg

Of course the fact that I hadn't spent a single thought on the practicality of painting this part during the scultping didn't exactly make my job any easier ;)

daemon-primarch-angron-pip-14.jpg