Khorne's Eternal Hunt - KrautScientist's chaotic WIP thread: Fine-tuning Eightbound...

Oh, it definitely did happen, no worries there ;)

Here are the new pictures:

30k-world-eaters-vexillarius-wip-7.jpg

30k-world-eaters-vexillarius-wip-6.jpg

30k-world-eaters-vexillarius-wip-5.jpg

I think he's basically finished at this point -- the rest of the detailing will be achieved during the painting stages.

As always, let me know what you think! :)

Thanks a lot, guys! :)

Now I don't have a major update for you today, but I am pretty happy that a couple of job-related trips to Hanover this week provided me with the perfect opportunity for making some much needed purchases at a local FLGS:

week-11-1.jpg

With my supplies thus replenished, I think I'll soon be able to start painting my recent Angron kitbash (hence all of the metallic colours). I also finally picked up a box of the Aos Blood Warriors, mainly for conversion fodder, really. And indeed, one of the fantastic helmets from the kit finally served as the perfect choice for Lorimar's second in command, First Hunter Alrik Skarn:

alrik-skarn-2017-wip-2.jpg

alrik-skarn-2017-wip-1.jpg

alrik-skarn-2017-wip-3.jpg

This guy was originally my first really involved conversion after getting back into the hobby after a long hiatus: I converted him during the first days of 2011, and have kept tinkering on him time and time again in the years since. But at long last, he now has just about the perfect helmet, so I think I can finally consider this conversion finished -- phew! ;)

Oh, and during a recent visit to an artistic school, I was able to rescue a little something from the trash bin: the remains of an art project:

week-11-2.jpg

Call me crazy, but I think the broken parts of this face could make for some rather cool 40k terrain pieces with a bit of work.

So yeah, as always, let me know what you think! :)

Alright, I'll indulge you: You're crazy. ;)

But seriously: Alrik looks like a fantastic kitbash! He oozes character, and has that primal 'bellowing in rage' vibe going on, that I so love in the original Khârn model. 

I'm also very pleased that you finally bought a set of Blood Warriors - I remember when I bought mine about a year ago, that you wanted some of those helmets. As you know, I had need of them myself for the recent surge in my KDK force, but I like to think that gave you an extra push to get your hands on a full kit yourself. They're really fantastic miniatures, and I'm excited to see what you will pull off with them! 

To be sure, I remember some great feedback you gave me on my conversions (not the boots, although I am also curious how you will solve that particular issue), namely that in order to make them look more 40K vis-à-vis fantasy, to add cables to their abdomen. I wonder if you're going to do that, and if so, would you be in need of a GreenStuff Tentacle maker? 

Thanks a lot, guys! :)

@ Auggs: Haha, yeah, I was always going to end up with a box of those Blood Warriors in the end, wasn't I? The only problem is that I actually really have enough 40k chaos conversion fodder to last me for ages, so I don't really need to buy any more, really ;)

As for the boots issue, you know what: I may end up not even using those lower bodies for my World Eaters: There are so many options for them (a Chaos Blood Bowl team? My INQ28 collection? My Traitor Guard) that I could actually use them on any number of things, and only use the Blood Warriors upper bodies (combined with, say, Chosen legs) for my 40k army. We'll see...

What's funny is that here I am with a kit chock-full of 40k Khornate conversion goodness -- and the first thing I do with it is to mock-up a 30k conversion. Go figure...

Anyway, here's an early peek at the model in question:

30k-k-early-wip.jpg

Does anyone have an idea who this might be. I'll give you a hint: He's not really a member of Lorimar's 4th assault company, but rather a bit of a "guest star", so to speak... ;)

As always, let me know what you think! :)

Does anyone have an idea who this might be. I'll give you a hint: He's not really a member of Lorimar's 4th assault company, but rather a bit of a "guest star", so to speak... :wink:

As always, let me know what you think! :smile.:

Hmmm. World Eater, check. Big axe, check. Plasma pistol, check. Not donning all his power armour, possible I can't quite see his axe arm. So...

Khââââââârn

Whoever he actually is, he looks great so far. Where's the head from?

Edited by Quixus

Great use of the blood warriors torso, I ended up buying regular chaos warriors mayself as I liked the capes, but lately I've been questioning a lot my choice with all of this awesome BW conversions lying around! 

Thanks a lot, guys! :smile.:

Indeed, there's no fooling you lot: That early mockup shown above will hopefully grown into a suitably impressive representation of the World Eaters' 8th Captain. I am not a huge fan of Forgeworld's Angron model for various reasons, and seeing how I already converted and painted my own version of 40k Khârn, this seemed like a fun project :wink:

@ Quixus: The head's from the new Assault Marine kit, I believe.

@ Nemac Vradon: The parts of the plaster face will probably end up as three separate terrain pieces (something like the broken aquila that comes with the Honoured Imperium kit). My current plan is to maybe add some bitz to provide a hint at the actual scale (some battlefield debris, a fallen Ultramarine, stuff like that) and to paint them to match the bases of my 30k World Eaters. That way, they'll work as regular 40k terrain, but could also be used for a potential Armatura-themed display board at one point (don't hold your breath, though): Statuary at that scale is definitely a thing in the Imperium, and especially so at the heart of Guilliman's domain :wink:

In the meantime, I have finally managed to put some paint on the next member of my squad of tactical veterans, the Astartes bearing a massive and brutal looking autogun, to be precise:

30k-world-eaters-autogunner-6.jpg

30k-world-eaters-autogunner-7.jpg

Now the first draft version of the model still had a standard Mk. 3 helmet, but then I saw Nemac Vradon’s fantastic conversion of Uzas (of First Claw fame) using one of the FW World Eaters helmet to great effect, and so I allowed myself a small indulgence and ordered a single head from a bitz-seller to give my model that little bit of extra oomph.

The model also features a shout out to one of my favourite 30k World Eaters armies: Mr. Poom’s World Eaters occasionally feature weapon casings in the Iron Warriors-styled hazard stripe design, and I included a variant of the design on the backup chainsword mag-locked to the legionary’s armour:

30k-world-eaters-autogunner-8.jpg

30k-world-eaters-autogunner-9.jpg

30k-world-eaters-autogunner-10.jpg

So yeah, it might be slow work – in keeping with my general laziness – but my small collection of 30k World Eaters keeps expanding one model at a time — not too long now, and I might actually end up with a full squad! Shocking, I know… :wink:

world-eaters-tactical-veterans-techmarin

EDIT: Update post with better pictures

Edited by KrautScientist

Love it! As if that Heavy Bolter/Autocannon and his heavy chainsword with a sabre grip (what an amazing detail is that) didn't already give it enough, that helmet certainly gives him some OOMPH!

Thanks also for that shoutout to Nemac's first claw, I had no idea he as doing it. Reading that, I remember some good times discussing helmets :biggrin.::wink:

Speaking of which, how do you like these helmets from FW?

Hidden Content
99550102208_WorldEatersMkIIVeteranHeads0

Reason I'm asking is, I have some for you...

EDIT: btw I really like that Warhounds symbol on his right vambrace. :thumbsup:

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Thanks a lot, guys! :smile.:

@ Auggs: Haha, yeah, I was always going to end up with a box of those Blood Warriors in the end, wasn't I? The only problem is that I actually really have enough 40k chaos conversion fodder to last me for ages, so I don't really need to buy any more, really :wink:

As for the boots issue, you know what: I may end up not even using those lower bodies for my World Eaters: There are so many options for them (a Chaos Blood Bowl team? My INQ28 collection? My Traitor Guard) that I could actually use them on any number of things, and only use the Blood Warriors upper bodies (combined with, say, Chosen legs) for my 40k army. We'll see...

What's funny is that here I am with a kit chock-full of 40k Khornate conversion goodness -- and the first thing I do with it is to mock-up a 30k conversion. Go figure...

Anyway, here's an early peek at the model in question:

30k-k-early-wip.jpg

Does anyone have an idea who this might be. I'll give you a hint: He's not really a member of Lorimar's 4th assault company, but rather a bit of a "guest star", so to speak... :wink:

There we go. Mk III legs are the right fit for the Blood Warriors torso and arms. I haven't been super impressed with the leather boots look when the legs from the kit are used in 40k, but you have the right look going on there. Nice work, as always. And as with many other things, consider it stolen! :smile.:

Looks like some torso sculpting/filling is in order. Not a huge challenge, but it looks like the parts don't mesh super well. I remember carving away the top part of an existing torso when I used one of their chestplates for my juggerlord.

Edited by Venomlust

I can't even tell you how subtle and perfect WE it is that you replaced the chainsword hilt with a curved one from the Berzerkers sprue.

Bravo. 

I'm also not much of a fan of the FW Khârn model, and I love your take on it. The head, in particular, is a nice touch. I do agree with Venomlust, however, that the torso is much busier and curvier in terms of ornamentation than the MkIII legs, and could use some sort of simplification, even if that includes some removal of the trim.

Edited by bloodhound23

Cheers, guys! :)

Regarding that sabre hilt on the chainsword, the funny part is that this was actually a bit of an improvised way of adding a grip to a CSM chainsword, back before sheathed chainswords became readily available courtesy of the plastic Mk. III Marines. That being said, it does seem pretty World Eater-ly, doesn' it? Probably because the grip came from one of those ancient Khorne berzerker backup swords ;)

@ Thousand Eyes: Borrow away, mate! ;)

@ Auggs: I originally kinda hated those helmets, to be honest, but they have grown on me, especially the faceplates (as evidenced by my recent autogunner). I still think the implementation of the caedere remissum (i.e. the proto bunny ears) seems a bit lazy, but I've seen some hobbyists put them to excellent use nonetheless -- Wilhelminiatures comes to mind. Which is all a rather roundabout way of saying that, yeah, I could definitely use some ;)

Speaking of the Warhounds symbol on the vambrace, I cannot shake the feeling it should have faced the other way... ;)

@ Venomlust: Shaving off the top of the Blood Warrior legs? Brilliant! That's exactly what I did, and it worked like a charm -- I've seriously cleaned up that Khârn conversion in the meantime, so expect some new pictures soonish!

@ bloodhound23: One thing I do like about the official FW Khârn is how there's a certain gladiatorial flair to his armour, and I think the extra trim really fills that role on my conversion. Plus the Mk. III legs also have some areas that can (and will) be painted in bronze, so it shouldn't be too much of a jarring contrast.

@ Eberious: Cheers, mate! :wink:

And thanks for all the Likes, everyone -- you know what, though: You can totally comment on this thread, in addition to liking my posts. That would be, like, totally awesome :wink:

So here's that cleaned-up Khârn WIP I was talking about:

30k-kharn-wip-1.jpg

30k-kharn-wip-2.jpg

30k-kharn-wip-3.jpg

As you can see, I actually switched his weapons around, which arguably brings him much closer to both the classic and new 40k incarnations of the character -- it always seemed like a weird part of the FW model to me that he was holding Gorechild in the "wrong hand", especially since even Angron wields it with his left.

This also gave me the opportunity to swap in a wonderfully clunky CSM plasma pistol -- I realise that 30k plasma pistols have this "Martian Deathray" look, but I prefer a weapon that looks like it could actually be used to clobber an opponent over the head -- plus it's, once again, closer to classic 40k Khârn's pistol. So it should really be no surprise that I've basically settled on a pose that recalls the classic metal model as well. I really like the pose so far. Do you guys think I should stick with it?

Edited by KrautScientist