Khorne's Eternal Hunt - KrautScientist's chaotic WIP thread: Fine-tuning Eightbound...

Thanks a lot for the continued feedback, everyone! :)

@ Auggs: Ba-dum-TISH! ;)

@ Thousand Eyes: Hmm, you are really not too late, because I just didn't want him to be as dynamic as, say, the FW model or the new plastic 40k version. I liked the idea of capturing the Eight Captain during one of his - increasingly rare - lucid moments. There's also the fact that his pose is ever so slightly reminicent of the classic 40k model, and I really like that touch.

@ k0hnahrik: I did think about adding some nails, yeah -- but I'll be honest: That head is pretty much perfect the way it is, and I am pretty reluctant to touch it and potentially mess it up. Maybe a small augmetic plug here and there on the back of the head? But I do kinda want to leave it alone, to be perfectly honest ;)

@ Vairocanum: Huh, I actually keep going back and forth over whether or not to add some pouches or grenades to his waist. On the one hand, I think I should, both for the sake of "realism" and because it would bulk out his silhouette a bit. On the other hand, I really like the model's silhouette and want to keep it that way, lest I, you know, bulk out his silhouette -- as you can see, it's all a bit complicated... ;)

That's a reaaaally cool take on Khârn ;) The chestplate and head are particulary good !

However I think like TRIBUN for the mk3 backpack I think it could add a nice touch !

Malchy

Nice conversion, but the backpack doesn't fit Imo. I would try something more archaic for this legendary warrior, like the mk 3 backpack.

Wait a second, that's an authentic second edition backpack right there -- you cannot possibly get any more archaic than that ;)

Seriously, though, there's a number of reasons for my choosing the backpack I did. Just off the top of my head...

• It's a shout out to Forgeworld's 30k Khârn, for one, who basically has the exact same mark of backpack. I even tried to replicate the World Eaters symbol. Granted, he is also wearing what looks like a customised suit of Mk. IV armour, but I did want to include a shout out to the official model, and the backpack seemed like an interesting idea
  • There's also the fact that I wanted the backpack to seem like a logical pre-cursor to the backpack 40k Khârn has. Now this is slightly tricky, because the classic (metal/Finecast) Khârn clearly has a slightly more elaborate Anvilus backpack, while the new plastic model's pack pack is rather narrow. Towards this end, the pack I chose looks like it could have "evolved" into either design.
  • I also wanted to push the idea of a suit of "mongrel plate", as I think the World Eaters are probably scavenging whatever they can and repairing and creating their armour with all the parts they can get their hands one, given their massive casualities due to their specific way of waging war.

So yeah, you might not agree with my choice from an aesthetic standpoint, and to that I say: Fair enough. But I did really put some thought into this ;)

Cheers, guys! :)

@ Kordhal: He's only slightly taller than a stock Marine, but the tweaked silhouette (thanks to the breastplate) really sells him as a character with a bit more presence. I'll post up a scale comparison picture on Saturday or Sunday, when I'm back home.

@ TRIBUN: I hope you're genuinely convinced, though, not merely strong-armed into accepting my explanation ;)

@ Neil101: Neil, mate, izzat you? What a pleasant surprise! I am sure you'll like it over here: There's a certain vibrancy and constructive spirit about this board that I think you'll appreciate! :)

Aye it is.:wink:  yeah just stretching my wings getting a feel for the forums before setting up a wiplog. 

"I am sure you'll like it over here: There's a certain vibrancy and constructive spirit about this board that I think you'll appreciate!"           yeah I agree.

Cheers, guys! :)

An entire week has gone by in a blur, mostly thanks to the two conferences I visisted last week, but today I can finally show you some comparison pictures with my recent 30k Khârn conversion, like I promised:

So first up, here’s a picture showing my 30k Khârn next to a standard 30k World Eater and to the – rather massive – new plastic 40k version of the character:

30k-kharn-wip-11.jpg

As you can see, he’s about as tall as a standard Marine (the guy on the left appears taller because there’s quite a bit of basing material underneath his feet), yet at the same time, the combination of the Mk. III legs and the beefed out torso give him a slightly more massive look, which I think really fits the character and serves as a hint at the even more massive, imposing figure Khârn will have grown into, probably thanks to the war god’s influence, by the 41st millennium.

As a fun detail, the press-molded symbol on his backpack actually prompted me to add the same detail to 40k Khârn, both as a piece of continuity, but also because that empty panel on the back of the backpack really bothered me, and this seemed like the perfect solution:

30k-kharn-wip-15.jpg

I really wanted my own 30k Khârn to be like a bit of a missing link between the other versions, and I think this part of the project has been a success: If you look closely, you’ll see several elements on the model that point to the different incarnations of the character, both in 40k and in 30k:

different-versions-of-kharn-2.jpg

Oh, and while we are at it, here’s a picture showing every version of Khârn currently in my possession, including the true scale-ish custom Khârn I created back in 2014:

different-versions-of-kharn-1.jpg

Come to think of it, this seems like the perfect opportunity to give that particular model a bit of extra airtime, because I am still pretty pleased with it, and I think it managed to hold up, even when compared to the new “official” 40k Khârn:

true-scale-kharn-1.jpg

true-scale-kharn-2.jpg

true-scale-kharn-3.jpg

A closer look at the model can be found here, in case you are interested.

As always, let me know what you think! :)

Cool Khârnate lineup you have there, buddy! I still think truescale Khârne is the best one, seeing as he is bellowing at the skies - as if it has just started raining blood as a boon from Khorne. It's just a wicked incarnation. :tu:

Glad you're back, btw :)

Cheers, guys!

It occured to me today that I have one week left to paint an Angron model for the Loyalty and Treachery event, and I really want to finish my latest, converted plastic Angron, so I devoted a bit of time today to sorting out the last parts of the model in need of some cleanup. Take a look:

we_angron-wip-20.jpg

Angron's now holding that tangle of viscera he has in the Wayne England artwork, for one. And don't worry about the tinfoil on his shoulders: The XII Primarch won't be getting some super tacky coloured hairtips, but I've rather used the tinfoil as a base to build up his cape with some extra GS on top of it:

we_angron-wip-21.jpg

I really want to keep the cape a separate part during the painting progress, and the tinfoil allowed me to build up a cape that conforms to the shape underneath while also being easy enough to separate afterwards.

Expect some pictures of the finished cape really soon! And then it'll be painting time...

Can't wait to see this guy painted up! Also, using tinfoil to be able to separate it later sounds like an interesting idea but how are you going to keep the tinfoil in place? Are you gluing it or pinning it somehow?

Thanks, guys! :)

The tinfoil idea was actually something I came up with myself, and I am pretty pleased with it, to be honest: Since the foil can be bent to conform to a certain shape, there's really no need to glue it to the model or attach it otherwise, if you are careful. Yet it will also "isolate" the surface of the model against bonding with the GS on top, making it easy to take the two parts apart again. Granted, it would have been even easier had I attached it to something solid. The pauldron's weren't glued in yet, however, and so the whole thing turned a bit finicky.

Anyway, the experiment was still a success, so here's Angron, ready for painting:

we_angron-wip-23.jpg

we_angron-wip-22.jpg

we_angron-wip-24.jpg

we_angron-wip-25.jpg

Now to give credit where credit is due, Capt. Jack's tutorial on creating fur here was really helpful, and I tried to adapt it to my inferior skills. I also used an old toothbrush to create some extra texture.

So in order to show you what's happened under the hood, so to speak, here's another look at the GS'ed shoulder area:

we_angron-wip-26.jpg

And here you can see how the body and cape can easily be separated again:

we_angron-wip-27.jpg

Looks great, Kraut. Thanks for the link to the 'fur tut', too. That might come in handy one day. :tu:

what's going on with that right shoulder? Pic is a little bright?

Haha, you just outed yourself as a 'picture viewing only, reading is for nerds' kinda follower! :p