Khorne's Eternal Hunt - KrautScientist's chaotic WIP thread: Fine-tuning Eightbound...

Damn, I could easily have believed those converted Berzerkers were either studio conversions or new plastic releases, they look so natural! The newest (unpainted) dude with the huge axe looks especially cool. I dunno why but the name "Mancleaver" comes to mind.

Speaking of weapons with cool names, I wouldn't mind seeing you make a Chaos Lord (or Champion) with the Berserker Glaive from the 3.5 edition Khorne Wargear list, if for no other reason than I'd love to see how you interpreted that fell artifact and its doomed bearer.

These Chosrn/Berzerker dudes are all the awesome mate, really stellar work. I can only echo what others have said in that they are that good they don’t look like conversions. So much detail on them I can’t imagine how long each one takes to paint!

Haha, yeah, four down, four to go -- technically speaking. I honestly doubt I'll be able to stop at eight... :wink:

Well I certainly hope we see many more.

Unit's of 8 are good though as you get more champions instead of pushing up unit size to 16. For me more champions best when it comes to modeling and painting as each one is a lesser character and the focal point for the unit to play with stories and a bit more detail.

So congrats on the last model of 2019 and I'm looking forward to seeing more into 2020, and having set aside som more time to work on my Knight I'll also be back on the blood god's path for a while in the coming weeks (must finish the Gork/mork anought first though).

Happy new year, everyone, and Thanks for the kind words! I really appreciate it! :)

@ Evil Eye: Don't worry, I am definitely planning some kind of character wielding a two-handed weapon, if only because I have both the two-handed axe-thing from the Blood Warriors and the axe from the Slaughterpriest and really want to put them to some kind of use ;)

@ Kolgrim Deathhowl & Midnightmare: Cheers, gents! That is high praise, indeed!

@ Hungry Nostraman Lizard: Haha, I am pretty much addicted to using that bright blue as a way of adding some oomph to the models, so yeah ;)

@ Mechanist: Oh yes, please, do finish that Knight! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed! :)

Nothing new to show yet, but here's my World Eaters output for 2019:

2019-world-eaters-36.jpg

Just a few models, really, but I am pretty pleased with them nonetheless.

Oh, and I almost forgot my display base for Daemon Primarch Angron, which was really the first model I painted in 2019, technically speaking:

daemon-primarch-angron-and-display-base-

So yeah, here's to another year, eh?

daemon-primarch-angron-and-display-base-

LOTS OF KHORNE LOVELINESS

Stellar work as ever, got to say even though it’s a distance shot, the group photos really shows the quality of your output.

As for Angron, his base is has just the right amount of detail as he is a busy (and big!) model and it is really balanced out. Goodbye Mr Smurf :devil:

I tend to watch your other output through your blog so the full shot with the Heroquest and IQ28 will be very impressive when you post it.
More important for Khorne is that you've got past the stumbling block of the red recipe as your blood red supplies ran out, boosted by the great new chaos kits to play with and inspire I'm sure we'll see many more painted berserkers in the coming year.

As for my knight

it'll be on me desk in front of me Monday in the new house (relocating for work) and since my family wont be moving up to at least Easter I'll have plenty of evenings to get on with it. I'll use my own plog though to explain all that, so keep an eye out early next week for news.
Edited by Mechanist

Cheers for the feedback, guys! :smile.:

@ Bjorn: Haha, I think I intended that shoulder pad more as an artifact and not an actual trophy, but it's always fun to speculate where such designs on a model originated, isn't it?

@ DuskRaider: Huh, the danger here is that the new World Eaters blow my stuff right out of the water, once they arrive, though :wink:

@ ElDuderino: Cheers, mate! There's an additional seven models or so ready to paint, although I may well move beyond that, if fancy takes me. However, what this is definitely not is an attempt to re-do my entire World Eaters army. We are speaking Kill Team scope here, with maybe a couple of additional models here and there.

Only a tiny update for today, as I've only been able to sneak in a bit of kitbashing here and there: I have been working on a couple of World Eaters helmets, just to build up a reserve of possible heads:

new-we-kitbashes-wip-17.jpg

The two helmets on the right are vanilla (new) CSM helmets with added "bunny ears" from the Blood Warriors, whereas the helmet on the left is an attempt at grafting a (old) CSM mouthpiece to a Blood Warrior head, ElDuderino style. This exercise has only added to my appreciation of ElD's conversions in this vein, as the process of making it all fit together is a rather tricky one...

I also couldn't help myself and tried to come up with a model to fit the converted helmet:

new-we-kitbashes-wip-18.jpg

As always, let me know what you think! :smile.:

Why not just cast them once you get to this point? 

Oh Kraut mixing those head crests with the new csm helmets look epic!! I maye now have to take the heads off my new bez and to try this. 

Your angron is epic! cant get over how awe struck i was when i first say you building that 

Can I pick your brains on something? What process do you use for the brass armour trim on the 'zerkers?

I basically want to copy it...for some thing. :smile.:

Kraut Scientist posted it in the previous page of this thread, so I thought the easiest thing would be to repost it for you.

@ Crevette: Huh, my bronze is actually the part of the paintjob I am least content with, but I am of course happy enough to share my recipe: For the base colour, I use a mix of Vallejo Brassy Brass and Tinny Tin (about 50:50), then the bronze areas get washed with Army Painter Strong Tone, then the metal is highlighted with Vallejo Brassy Brass and/or Bright Bronze as needed. Hope this helps! :smile.:

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Can I pick your brains on something? What process do you use for the brass armour trim on the 'zerkers?

Kraut Scientist posted it in the previous page of this thread, so I thought the easiest thing would be to repost it for you.

@ Crevette: Huh, my bronze is actually the part of the paintjob I am least content with, but I am of course happy enough to share my recipe: For the base colour, I use a mix of Vallejo Brassy Brass and Tinny Tin (about 50:50), then the bronze areas get washed with Army Painter Strong Tone, then the metal is highlighted with Vallejo Brassy Brass and/or Bright Bronze as needed. Hope this helps! :smile.:

Well thanks mate, that helps.

Not sure I have easy access to Vallejo paints. I'll see what GW can sell me.

Well thanks mate, that helps.

Not sure I have easy access to Vallejo paints. I'll see what GW can sell me.

Brassy Brass = Runelord brass

Tinny Tin = Warplock Bronze

Bright Bronze = Hashut Copper

There you go :lol:

Brassy Brass = Runelord brass

Tinny Tin = Warplock Bronze

Bright Bronze = Hashut Copper

There you go :laugh.:

I've found Hashut Copper to bronzy bronze for my brassy brass needs!

I've got a new colour to try so I'll stop spamming Kraut's thread now.

Feel free to pop to my WIP thread for more bronzy brassy chat though!

Thanks a lot for the feedback, guys! Great to hear from you all! :smile.:

@ Gederas & Midnightmare: Cheers, guys! While it goes beyond the scope on this forum, I have actually managed to paint exactly one hundred models in 2019, between my World Eaters, INQ28 characters, Blood Bowl Orcs and painting a complete set of HeroQuest:

class-of-2019-4.jpg

finished-heroquest-set-16.jpg

So I am actually really happy with my overall output! As for my World Eaters, though, Mechanist has really hit the nail on the head:

More important for Khorne is that you've got past the stumbling block of the red recipe as your blood red supplies ran out, boosted by the great new chaos kits to play with and inspire I'm sure we'll see many more painted berserkers in the coming year.

This really feels like a huge roadblock has been cleared away after a long period of time -- it's also while I am already back to working on World Eater models, but we'll be getting to that in a second :wink:

Also, @ Mechanist regarding the Knight: YAY! :smile.:

@ Kolgrim DeathHowl & Sagentus: Cheers, gents!

@ crimsonhand: Oh yeah, sure, I could totally cast them -- but I am having way to much fun to come up with new designs, and with a project as focused on conversions as this, I really want every guy to have his individual helmet or head :wink:

@ Rob Wrath & Dr Ruminahui: You guys have already worked out my recipe between the two of you, and Sagentus' conversion chart also seems sound. I will say that I have yet to find a proper stand-in for Tinny Tin (itself basically a stand-in for the old "Tin Bitz") in GW's catalogue. Runelord Brass comes fairly close, but I am not entirely sold on its coverage properties, and it can sometimes end up looking a bit plastic-y, if that makes any sense?!

Speaking of which, while I am actually waiting for the undercoat to dry on my next Hateful Eight World Eater, so I can get back to painting, I have been making some adjustments to some earlier conversions.

First up was this guy here:

new-we-kitbashes-wip-16.jpg

I actually liked the model well enough in principle, although there were a few things that kept bothering me. So I tweaked the model a bit, and here's the final version:

new-we-kitbashes-wip-21.jpg

The bladed crest on his left pauldron was so massive as to unbalance the silhouette a bit, so it was replaced with smaller spikes (I did keep the part for later use, though). The backpack also didn't result in the silhouette I wanted, so I went back to a classic CSM backpack. The biggest change, however, is that the axe was replaced with a meteor hammer, and I am much happier with the model now!

new-we-kitbashes-wip-23.jpg

new-we-kitbashes-wip-22.jpg

I also messed around with this Khorne Havoc:

khorne-havoc-wip-5.jpg

I realised that the missile launcher arm came with an Eye of Horus design on the pauldron, and that bothered me ever so slightly, so I used some jaws from GW plastic skulls to try and turn it into a World Eaters legion badge:

khorne-havoc-wip-6.jpg

I'll admit it's not easy to make out, but it should look suitably different to the original design once painted.

I am currently experimenting with adding a chaos knight pauldron as some kind of armoured cowl, and I kinda like the way it looks:

khorne-havoc-wip-9.jpg

Most importantly, it makes the model resemble the artwork it was based on even more closely:

teeth-of-khorne-concept-by-jes-goodwin.j

As always, let me know what you think! :smile.:

Edited by KrautScientist

I think the cowl is a pretty neat idea, I'd make it just a bit smaller though, it almost looks like the primaris terminator armor now. I'd shave off the ring where the bunny ears were attatched too, it takes away from the vaugely xenomorph-like elongated helmet of from the artwork.

I absolutely love the way you turned the eye of horus into a we symbol! I will steal that idea and use it as much as possible, genius!

The Havoc looks great, and the teeth around the Eye is a genius touch. I love the old "Teeth of Khorne" concept and that artwork in particular, so seeing it made real is great!

The other Berserker looks cool, but even as much as I love meteor hammers/flails I actually liked the way the axe gave him a more balanced silhouette a bit better. Somehow he doesn't look quite right. Every other change I think was for the better mind you. I'd be tempted to either A: have him reverse-grip the chainsword or B: splice the meteor hammer onto the end of the axe grip (or some other similar part), making it into more of a flail admittedly but giving him a more balanced outline. That's just me though, and overall I adore the model. The stance and the choice of helmet really make him look quite brutal.

It's nice to be reminded of how rad Angron's "new" base is. Fantastic work there!

The Khorne Havoc is shaping up nicely so far. I especially like the armoured cowl that you've added. :tu:

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! :)

@ ElDuderino: Yeah, I am still thinking about the fine tuning on that armoured cowl. That being said, I do kinda like it that way, though...

As for the legion badge, steal away! In hindsight, it seems like such a stupidly obvious solution, although it becomes even more trivial now that we have the plastic skull set to work with ;)

@ Evil Eye: I see where you're coming from, but weirdly enough, the old version worked less well from up close than the photo would make it appear. For some reason, the actual model really seems more balanced now -- weird, right? I am still thinking about tweaking the sword, though. We'll see.

@ Dosjetka: Cheers, mate! That is very nice of you to say! :)

@ jaxom: Haha, you know how it is: If you like what you're doing, every workday can be a fun day ;)

In other news, the photo isn't great, and the model still needs quite a bit of cleanup, but I am making good progress on my next Hateful Eight World Eater:

new-world-eaters-kitbash-pip-8.jpg