Khorne's Eternal Hunt - KrautScientist's chaotic WIP thread: Fine-tuning Eightbound...

Cheers for the kind words, guys! :smile.:

That guy looks absolutely burtal, dude! 

The entire miniature strikes me as a leap forward in your conversion style, actually. I would say that your style (like mine, in a way) is heavily influenced by '90s GW publications, and still retain that slight 'comic-y' tinge of flavour. This guys is moving beyond that and shows a sense of rough realism that came into GW culture with the Horus Heresy world building of Alan Bligh. This miniature isn't playing. This guy means business and he's going to kill you and then maim and burn your body. 

Wow.

Gee, buddy, that is high praise indeed! Thanks a lot!

I will say that this whole project seems like a bit of an evolutionary step in that, after all these years of building and painting World Eaters, I have now arrived at the point where the models actually end up looking very close to the way I've always wanted them to be: massive, baroque, highly individual and very sinister.

So anyway, Meteor Hammer guy's base isn't even done yet, and I still couldn't stop myself: I had to built another one...

new-we-kitbashes-wip-24.jpg

new-we-kitbashes-wip-25.jpg

As always, let me know what you think! :smile.:

Edited by KrautScientist

I bought a khorne start collecting set box just to get the bits I wanted to kitbash 8 berserkers. I planned on selling what I didn't use to try and recoup costs.

I'm glad I haven't sold them yet as your conversions give me loads of inspiration to kitbash more! Thanks and keep them coming!

Cheers for the feedback, everyone! :)

@ Dwango: Haha, NEVER sell anything off until you're sure you won't be able to use it -- then again, that's certainly my inner packratism speaking, so YMMV ;)

@ Lexington: Cheers, buddy! :) Glad you like the model -- I am really fond of it myself. To be fair, though, it really takes lots of cues from a similar model ElDuderino built a while ago -- I merely chose a more "at-rest" pose and a different head.

@ Grailkepper: Oh my, I hadn't even seen those before! Very cool! The guy with the chainglaive, in particular, would make for a pretty cool gladiatorial World Eater, I'd say. Some of the other guys look as though they've let themselves go, though ;)

@ infyrana: It's the ball and chain from one of the AoS Slaughterpriests (the one that came free with that one issue of WD a while ago, to be precise).

@ theNublet, Auggs & Midnightmare: Cheers, gents!

In other news, I should finally have some pictures of the "ball&chain-guy" on his finished base for you tomorrow -- completed the model today, but then failed to take some pictures while lighting conditions were still good ;)

That greataxe-wielding Berzerker is something else! Really cleverly done too, the lower legs, helmet, shoulders and backpack really make the Blood Warrior body blend in seamlessly.

The meteor hammer guy is looking good too! Seeing him painted makes me glad you stuck with that build, he looks really nice with some colour. As a side note, I'd almost be tempted for the base to paint some streaks of blood along the floor behind the flail, as if he was dragging it along and smearing the ground behind him with gore.

Cheers, Evil Eye! And *teehee* do I have news for you :wink:

It was always clear that I would want to add some kind of "special effect" to the base, and the idea of a trail of blood had indeed already occured to me. I did, however, want to take things just a bit further still...

meteor-hammer-base-pip-1.jpg

meteor-hammer-base-pip-2.jpg

The idea was to make it look as though the World Eater had just crushed some unfortunate opponent's skull and was dragging his still-bloody weapon behinf him, but I also tried to go the extra mile and include some bone splinters :wink:

And here's the finished model:

2020-world-eaters-1.jpg

2020-world-eaters-4.jpg

2020-world-eaters-5.jpg

2020-world-eaters-6.jpg

2020-world-eaters-7.jpg

2020-world-eaters-3.jpg

2020-world-eaters-2.jpg

And here's a closer look at the base again, now with the meteor hammer in place, obviously :wink:

2020-world-eaters-8.jpg

2020-world-eaters-9.jpg

And here's another group picture of the new World Eaters models I have managed to finish so far:

2020-world-eaters-10.jpg

It's also painfully obvious that I'll be ending up with more than eight models, mostly because I cannot stop building stuff. Case in point, here are the next guys in line for the painting desk:

new-we-kitbashes-wip-26.jpg

For today, I would like to point out two models in particular. The first is the guy with the two-handed axe I already posted earlier -- I am still stupidly happy with him, to be honest:

new-we-kitbashes-wip-29.jpg

new-we-kitbashes-wip-28.jpg

new-we-kitbashes-wip-30.jpg

The other model was converted yesterday when I realised I still needed some kind of icon bearer -- I am a bit of a traditionalist in that respect: Every squad of traitor legionaries needs an icon bearer, and those new-fangled, backpack-mounted icons just don't cut it for me.

On the other hand, the idea of a World Eater lugging around a massive standard always seems a bit iffy. However, there was one model I have always loved for striking just the right balance in this respect: the metal World Eaters icon bearer from the mid-90s. And seeing how one side objective of this particular project has been to give shout outs to classic models or artwork, I couldn't resist the temptation to just rebuild that particular model for the new millennium. Take a look:

new-we-kitbashes-wip-31.jpg

I've had to flip the model horizontally for logistical reasons, but apart from that, the new guy is a fairly involved attempt at a proper re-interpretation of the classic sculpt. I didn't have one of those old banner tops, unfortunately, so I used what felt like the next-best thing: a Wrathmonger/Skullreaper standard that seems like it could be used as a weapon in its own right with its many vicious barbs and bladed edges.

Here's a closer look at the new model:

new-we-kitbashes-wip-32.jpg

new-we-kitbashes-wip-33.jpg

new-we-kitbashes-wip-34.jpg

As always, let me know what you think! :smile.:

Edited by KrautScientist

That crushed skull is absolutely brutal! Probably one of the nastiest details on a 40K model I've seen in a while. Excellent work!

The icon bearer looks great too, but something about the pose isn't quite right. I think it's the pistol arm; somehow it's just off. The rest of him looks great though!

“You knocked my block off!” :lol:

Looks great! Love the group shots as well. The standard bearers are a really awesome touch that I don’t see enough of anymore. I had intended on doing them for my wolves but it didn’t really ever happen other than Logan's big army standard. I’d like to not drop the ball for my R&H army though.

Is painting the next squad next or some new infernal bloody creation? :D

Oh you sicko! Those smashed skull shards! Really gives that guy a load of purpose and character.

Really like the big axe guy. He is smouldering. The armour has come off particularly well on him too. Like an old school idea of chaos armour. Also something that GW seems to have gone back towards with their new sculpts.

Ditto on the big axe guy, really has a lot of presence, you know?

The bannerman though, I'm not a huge fan of his pose. The icon is so big and off to the side that his left side looks bizarre to me if it's doing anything other than counter-balancing. Feel like his left arm should be lowered, or swapped for one that's more bent to give the feeling of running.

Like, I think his lower body looks like it's running, his upper body looks like it's action-posing, and his head doesn't really go with either?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! And that's definitely some food for thought regarding the icon bearer. I will say that some of the dodginess of the pose seems like it's already present in the classic model, and that's what I am trying to re-imagine, so I only have so much leeway. That being said, I'll mess around with that pistol arm a bit and try to improve the model.

@ Auggs: No can do about the sword, buddy: Those stupid berzerker swords are only detailed on one side, and it happens to be the wrong side, so they are right out here. That said, I am pretty happy with the knife/dagger, though, because it kinda ties into the background of my World Eaters as hunters and trophy takers -- that's why I have been trying to feature more flensing knives on these latest models, and this guy fits right in ;)

In other news, I have literally had to scrounge for scraps of hobby time lately, but today I can at least show you a PIP of the guy with the two-handed axe that is reasonably close to being finished -- still missing some detail work and cleanup, though:

world-eaters-kitbash-pip-12.jpg

world-eaters-kitbash-pip-13.jpg

world-eaters-kitbash-pip-14.jpg

As always, let me know what you think! :)