Khorne's Eternal Hunt - KrautScientist's chaotic WIP thread: Fine-tuning Eightbound...

An icon so covered in blood it is almost oozing. A back story detailing a contained daemon thirsting for spilling blood. Nothing depicts a banner if rage better imho! Cracking job!

Well done on the execution too. Adding so much blood effect is a risky business.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! Like I said, the amount of blood effect on the icon made me slightly nervous, but I think it really works on the finished piece.

So here's a look at the finished squad, then: Meet "The Hateful Eight":

the-hateful-eight-2020-1.jpg

the-hateful-eight-2020-4.jpg

It’s a bit pathetic, really, to have taken more than twelve months to come up with this squad, considering other people have used the Covid19-induced downtime to chew through dozens or even hundreds of models. But if nothing else, this squad comes closer than any of my previous attempts to encapsulating what I think World Eaters should look like — or rather, what my World Eaters should look like. And in that respect, at least, this definitely feels like a triumph! ;)

the-hateful-eight-2020-3.jpg

One thing I might still have to tweak is the number of skulls present on the models: Right now, there are 35 skulls across the entire squad. Plus, y’know, the eight that are still attached to their respective necks, at least for now… And I would like to bring that number up to 40, for fairly obvious reasons — then again, the composition of the squad could still change, so maybe I’ll a bit.

Because you didn’t really think this project was over, did you…? ;)

While I may have the first eight in the bag, there’s an entire batch of possible aspirants for a second squad. Take a look:

new-we-kitbashes-wip-48.jpg

So maybe we’ll end up with “The Hateful Sixteen”, after all?! If all goes well, these two gentlemen should be next on the painting table:

new-we-kitbashes-wip-49.jpg

For now, though, I am really happy that I have managed to complete this first tentative squad before GW actually releases new Khorne berzerkers/World Eaters models. ;)

Oh, and here’s a photo of the eight models alongside “Euron Hearteater”, who could probably be considered a honorary member of the squad by now, on account of finally seeing some paint during the same period of time:

2020-world-eaters-25.jpg

Incidentally, because the project so far has been focused mostly on the converting and painting angle, most of these World Eaters still lack a name. So I would be happy for you, my readers, to suggest some names for the members of the Hateful Eight!

I must give fair warning, though: My eventual selection will be purely based on my personal taste.

That being said, I would love to hear any suggestions, so if you want to name one of these gentlemen, let’s hear your ideas!

And, as always, let me hear what you think! :)

Impressive work on the Hateful Eight.

If all goes well, these two gentlemen should be next on the painting table:

new-we-kitbashes-wip-49.jpg

The one on the right is clearly wearing a breastplate salvaged from a LOYALIST Marine's armor, with a LOYALIST icon (the winged skull) still visible upon it. I'm surprised the World Eater didn't deface the icon to make a statement, the way Talos did in Aaron Dembski-Bowden's Night Lords novels.

Impressive work on the Hateful Eight.

If all goes well, these two gentlemen should be next on the painting table:

The one on the right is clearly wearing a breastplate salvaged from a LOYALIST Marine's armor, with a LOYALIST icon (the winged skull) still visible upon it. I'm surprised the World Eater didn't deface the icon to make a statement, the way Talos did in Aaron Dembski-Bowden's Night Lords novels.

It’s a tribute model. The art that inspired the model has roughly the same chest plate.

Amazing conversions, almighty master of skulls :)

new-we-kitbashes-wip-48.jpg

Ok. The guy with the GS cable in the front row. I need to know where does that helmet come from, because I've never seen it before? AOS Blood Warriors? I looks like something I would love for my NL.

Apart from this, awesome stuff as usual! The icon bearer is a great tribute to the original! As for the use of Corpsegrinder heads, well, you know I am an advocate of that :d. I still don't like the horns of that particular helmet, tho, and somehow kind of "clashes" with the rest of the squad's. However, I trust your judgement. They still look badass.

Keep delighting us with your minis!

Great to see the triumphant return of Eternal Hunt, and what a way to come back! The Hateful Eight are a fantastic collection; iconic and individual all at once. Each really captures a different aspect of the World Eaters, and more broadly, of Khorne as a whole. The blood god would be pleased!

Thanks for the very kind words, everyone! That is so nice of you all! :)

@ Lucerne: *Tehee* ;) Seriously, though: Don't forget how many people have managed to finish army after army during the Covid19 downtime. And I've managed to finish the last models for ONE squad...

@ Bjorn Firewalker @ KBA: Like KBA pointed out, it is indeed a tribute model, built to resemble Lheorvine Ukris, from the Black Legion series of novels. Lheor wears a pristine Imperialis breastplate, hence my use of the bit.

@ Midnightmare: Thanks a lot, mate! :)

@ Master Umbra: That helmet you are asking about came from the Skullreaper/Wrathmonger kit (WFB/AoS) that is still available. A word of warning, though: Due to the shape of those helmets, they start to look really hokey when you clip off the helmet crests. They also come without necks -- definitely facts to be aware of before you plan a conversion around them.

@ apologist: Thanks a lot! Knowing your own, in-depth character creation, that really means a lot!

@ Yosef Hausakluif: Thanks a lot!

@ Kizzdougs: Dude, given the quality of your own work, that is high praise! :)

So anyway, just a bit of light kitbashing for today -- because I am already thinking about more World Eaters, of course...

One thing I have wanted to try for a while now is to use one particular body from the multi-part Plague Marines for a World Eaters champion. Here's a quick mockup:

new-we-kitbashes-wip-50.jpg

new-we-kitbashes-wip-51.jpg

There's such a massive, workmanlike look to that studded suit of Mk. III armour, and I think it works really well for an officer of the XII legion as well: It really makes the model look as though this guy has really been at it for ten millennia ;) Of course there's still a lot of work left to be done: I'll need to clean off some of the Nurglite gribblies and add quite a few details, but this should be fun!

Using this particular body actually left me with the parts that are normally used to construct a Plague Marine with one of the special weapons from the kit. I still had some of the cheap-o Easy To Build Plague Marines from the early issues of Warhammer 40.000 Conquest knocking about, fortunately enough, and discovered that it was pretty easy to use one of them as a replacement:

snapfit-plague-marine-conversion-8.jpg

snapfit-plague-marine-conversion-9.jpg

snapfit-plague-marine-conversion-10.jpg

So yeah, that's it for today. As always, let me know what you think! :)

new-we-kitbashes-wip-52.jpg

Thanks a lot for the feedback, guys! :)

I have worked on the World Eaters champion in Mk. III armour a bit more:

new-we-kitbashes-53.jpg

new-we-kitbashes-54.jpg

new-we-kitbashes-55.jpg

The Nurglite mutations have been shaved off, and while I still want to tweak some details, most of the assembly is already there. I am really happy with the overall look, to be honest!

I've also messed around with another Plague Marine:

snapfit-plague-marine-conversion-11.jpg

It's not that much of a conversion (yet) -- the model is mostly an attempt to channel Jes Goodwin's classic metal Plague Marine (and the sketch that model was originally based on):

jes-goodwin-plague-marine.jpg

As always, let me know what you think! :)

@ Master Umbra: That helmet you are asking about came from the Skullreaper/Wrathmonger kit (WFB/AoS) that is still available. A word of warning, though: Due to the shape of those helmets, they start to look really hokey when you clip off the helmet crests. They also come without necks -- definitely facts to be aware of before you plan a conversion around them.

One thing I have wanted to try for a while now is to use one particular body from the multi-part Plague Marines for a World Eaters champion. Here's a quick mockup:

new-we-kitbashes-wip-50.jpg

Yesss, that is one hell of a Khorne worshipper! The Mark III looks suitably good on him-he looks like a veteran of the Long War. I would say it fits World Eaters quite a lot, more than NL, tbh. I chose this body for a NL conversion specially because it is not too Nurgle's Rot-heavy. There are very few details to get rid of. And the head you chose is pure brilliance. Looking forward to the end result!

Also, thank you for your warnings concerning those heads! It's a bit like the Corpse Grinder ones, then: you need to glue them to a marine's neck in order to make them fit well. 

Cheers for the comment, mate! As for the helmets, I'd say the missing neck is less of a problem than the weird shape they have without the helmet crest -- that being said, you could probably mitigate that problem quite well by replacing the Khornate helmet crest with something a little more Night Lord-esque, thrifty kitbasher that you are ;)

In the meantime, some more Plague Marine upcycling:

snapfit-plague-marine-conversion-12.jpg

I've addes some GS cabling to the model on the left and in the middle: On the left guy, they plug the gap between the arm and body. On the model in the middle, they replace the really cartoony tentacles and also bring the model closer in line with the Jes Goodwin piece that inspired the conversion. The model on the right is simply an attempt at combining leftover parts with yet another cheap snapfit Plague Marine -- what I really like about the guys on the left and right is that they mostly use the leftover assembly options from the model I used for my latest World Eaters champ:

new-we-kitbashes-53.jpg

So I do get to be thrifty for once ;)

snapfit-plague-marine-conversion-13.jpg

Woooooo Krauty's back with a vengeance. 

First off, let me just congratulate you on finishing that icon bearer. he looks like the spitting image of the classic mini that inspired him!

tenor.gif?itemid=12628446

Fantastisc work. Also, congratulations on finishing the hateful eight! Now THAT's a squad of Khrone Berzerkers! Man oh man, they all look great. You are and have been an inspiration to me for years on end now, but this squad takes the cake! I really cannot wait to get started on my own 40 berzerkers using pretty much the same kits as you have used, not quite coincidentally.

And lo! and behold, there's eight more coming in. :woot: :eek: :jawdrop: 

Plague Marines are looking good too. I know that's a bit of a mifffed reply to them, especially considering that I converted and painted 55 of them plus an entire army of death gaurd vehicles, but after those zerkers, you know, everything seems a bit stale. ;)

Keep on keepin on, my friend! 

Hey!

Cheers for the comment, mate! As for the helmets, I'd say the missing neck is less of a problem than the weird shape they have without the helmet crest -- that being said, you could probably mitigate that problem quite well by replacing the Khornate helmet crest with something a little more Night Lord-esque, thrifty kitbasher that you are :wink:

Challenge accepted :d!

Regarding your latest update: the Khornate champion oozes with as much character as blood drips from his axes :d. Regarding your Plague Marines, yup, cabling for gap-filling is the way to go sometimes! Conversions are awesome, as always. Also, congrats for being able to produce such cool models with spare parts. I am speaking with a heavy heart, because I just did not one, but two bits orders.

Keep up the awesome work!

The painted squad look great - cohesive whilst chaotic, a collection of individuals, and so very, very Khornate.

The multi-part PM as a spiky MKIII World Eater looks good - never even thought to use them as non DG.

As you have seen I have a similar fondness for bashing ETB with MP/DI spare bits - be careful, it gets so addictive as to be illness.

Weirdly I have gone the other way with the belcher and I am trying to make the MP one look like my Season 3 one.

I got a Green Stuff World roller and with that and some bendy Zinge wire I will certainly emulate your gap filling with pipes approach.

Great stuff.

Thanks a lot for the feedback, everyone! :)

@ acrowsperch, jaxom & Lexington: Cheers, gents! :)

@ auggs: Haha, happy to be back, buddy! I definitely wish you hadn't posted that terrifying GIF, though -- I haven't been the same since watching "The Grudge" back in the day, so stringy haired ghost girls really do a number on me every single time :(

@ Master Umbra: Thanks a lot! And if it makes you feel better, those parts only became spare parts AFTER I had already bought an entire kit to get hold of that one body ;)

@ Marius Perdo: Thanks a lot! Not gonna lie: I kept peeking at your thread during the conversion process -- you've been doing some awesome work over there! And yeah, that Greenstuff World cable maker is a godsend, isn't it? ;)

So anyway, time for another update:

First up, I am currently working on a smaller trophy pole/back banner, but I am honestly not sure whether it's the right direction for the model:

new-we-kitbashes-wip-59.jpg

Opinions?

My eventual - inevitable - second squad of modernised World Eaters will have need of an icon bearer, of course, so I made a quick mockup:

new-we-kitbashes-56.jpg

And here's the model after I have put in a bit more work:

new-we-kitbashes-wip-61.jpg

new-we-kitbashes-wip-60.jpg

The bolt pistol was replaced with an axe because, frankly, you can never, ever have enough axes on a Khornate model ;) And while this only occured to me in hindsight, the helmet on this guy actually feels pleasantly reminiscent of the helmet designs of the first plastic World Eaters:

old-plastic-zerker-4.jpg

This makes for another pretty cool shout out to one of the classic designs -- just perfect for this project!

Oh, and I also thought it would be fun to take a quick snapshot of all the models in my World Eaters collection that actually use the modernised colour scheme:

new-recipe-world-eaters-2020-4.jpg

In addition to "The Hateful Eight", there's Euron Hearteater, Brother Argus the Brazen (the FW World Eaters Dreadnought I got from my buddy Augustus b'Raass, and, of course,  "The Hound", renegade War Dog.

Definitely not an army, but they do look pretty cool together, if I do say so myself ;)

new-recipe-world-eaters-2020-5.jpg