Thousand Sons - Those Once Loyal - Contemptor Dread WIP

Aasfresser

I think those two last sorcs are done now.

med_gallery_76164_9665_168304.jpg

The one left on the foto got a collar and is finally done. Righty got a better backpack and cape + fancy new hat. Now I really like them. Time to get some paint on them...

As I mentioned once, I have a set of BaC Cataphractii Terminators that I wanted to convert into Thousand Sons Terminators. I'm so happy I waited until the Scarab Occult came out. This is what I came up with.

med_gallery_76164_9665_91852.jpg

med_gallery_76164_9665_58417.jpg

med_gallery_76164_9665_51516.jpg

He'll get a floaty book for the base and maybe a familiar. The staff head can be exchanged with other staff heads or blades etc. I'm pretty happy with him and I'm looking forward to convert the rest of those guys. I'm going to use them as Scarab Occult but I'll give them other weapon options,too. So that I can use them as normal MoT terminators.

Amazing work on the conversions, utterly inspired!

That new LoC too... Oh my what a model!

Nice addition of the shield.

Thank you!

Is that one staff from the Hurricanum kit?? There were so many good bits in there... The guy's collar was nice too, with the snakes on it.

Yes, that staff head is from the hurricanum but the staff is from the burning chariot of tzeentch box.

Okay... God damnit guys you are making it really hard for me to shy away from the Sorcerer's and play the Ad Mech I already have Hoarded :tongue.:

Nah, sorcerers a way cooler than those machinef***ers. :D

I really love that daemon prince! The moon-face was an excellent idea :thumbsup:

Thanks! I really love that bit. Its hard to resist the urge to use it again.

Oh yeaaah that bladed staff head is the business. Very cool!

That is one of the sexiest terminators I have seen. :ohmy.:

Thank you two! Glad you like him. There are 4 more coming, just need to get some more right Cataphractii arms without a hand or weapon. 

At the moment I'm painting the bird headed sorcerer, when I'm finished with him I'll paint the Cathaphract Sorcerer.

Birdy McBirdface is finished. I'm not to keen on the red cloth, but it adds something to the miniature and seperates him from the other sorcerers I already have. I'll try to incorporate some red cloth pieces to all of those new Aspiring Sorcerers. Hope you like him!

med_gallery_76164_9665_408749.jpgmed_gallery_76164_9665_352945.jpgmed_gallery_76164_9665_534959.jpgmed_gallery_76164_9665_313824.jpg

C&C is as always very welcome!

I once claimed in a comment on KrautScientists Blog that one could use the new Rubric Marines to convert them into normal CSM, like unaligned BL or whatever. To put my money where my mouth is I converted a Khornate CSM, a World Eater or Black Legion Berzerker. Those backpacks a a blast to convert, with a bit of GS skulls fit perfectly into those claws. Rest would be done via the paint job and a khorne freehand on the left vambrace. Only thing that would be hard to do is a running pose because of the overlapping keepads. But bikers should be very easy to do with them as a base. But for a slow and measured approach, those legs are perfect (well. they were sculpted with that in mind). Even a Berzerker or khornate CSM has to stop now and then and pose with a fresh and grisly trophy for the Skull Couch.

med_gallery_76164_10660_40174.jpgmed_gallery_76164_10660_534457.jpg

C&C is very welcome!

_________

wow...i am shamed...

Thank you :laugh.:

The Scarab Occult Cataphractii terminator is done. The stupid gold trim on the cloak is such a pain in the a. to paint. It still looks very crappy. But I'm pretty happy with the rest of the SO Terminator. The dead Space Marine on the base is supposed to be a Space Wolf and there is more than just the backpack but the paint job on the base and the ash let the legs and the torso melt with the base. The pictures are a bit dark and the vallejo matt varish is way to glossy... Hope you like him anyways!

med_gallery_76164_9665_297999.jpgmed_gallery_76164_9665_507403.jpgmed_gallery_76164_9665_389029.jpg

I started on two more Scarab Occult. The right one is equipped with a heavy flamer and a power axe, I just wanted to try if it would work with the normal CSM terminator arms and MaxMini shoulders. I like the look of it so far. Nor I need more left cataphract arms without weapons and more kopesh swords and at least two more Rubricae or Scarab Occult tabards for the remaining terminators. I want to use them as MoT CSM terminators, too, so I will build more of those normal arms with MaxMini shoulders.

What do you think, do the fit?

med_gallery_76164_9665_352722.jpg

Yes I think they look excellent

I am wondering how a CAD with some powerfist terminators would do.. Will probably magnetize my scarab occult

Thank you. This is exactly what I was wondering myself. I want a mix of some power weapons and alternative fists for all of those Cataphractii Terminators, I think I'll use the ones from the set. But I definitely don't want to mix cataphract arms with chaos terminator arms. 

• 1 month later...

Just catching up with the really great update Aasfresser.  Also if your looking for some background, just got my White Dwarf today (subscriber) & it comment that the Thousand Sons will be in the Gathering of the Storm book III.  There also photos of the Ultramarine Primarch against Magnus.

Just catching up with the really great update Aasfresser.  Also if your looking for some background, just got my White Dwarf today (subscriber) & it comment that the Thousand Sons will be in the Gathering of the Storm book III.  There also photos of the Ultramarine Primarch against Magnus.

Yes I saw that as well...

Maybe this is a bad habit I've fallen into the last 10+ years, but I keep thinking Magnus will get punk'd by Guilliman. Should it happen? Doubtful, but GW loves those loyalists something fierce. ;)

Yes I saw that as well...

Maybe this is a bad habit I've fallen into the last 10+ years, but I keep thinking Magnus will get punk'd by Guilliman. Should it happen? Doubtful, but GW loves those loyalists something fierce. :wink:

Thanks IP, I saw this yesterday too at faeit212. I hope they don't sacrifice Magnus and the TS to make Girlyman great again. I thought the whole Ahriman-gets-duped-by-an-upstart-elven-chick thing in the GS II book more than lackluster and ridiculous. So basically I have the same fears and foreshadowing as Prot has :(

I knew you would do awesome work with the new sets Aasfresser! :smile.:

So that's a Scarab Occult headpiece on top of a Cataphractii armour? Did it fit allright?

Thanks Excessus! I hope I'll see some new TS stuff from you, too. 30K or 40k I don't care, as long as there will be more TS.

And yes, the Scarab Occult headpieces fit perfectly on the Cataphractii armor after some minimal cutting.

• 1 month later...

Speaking of Ignis..have we any mentioning of the "order of Ruin" outside the Ahriman series? Like what heraldry they used? Painting-wise those fractal Roscharch patterns are probably ..interesting..to achieve..

As far as I know, no, that's the first mentioning of the "order of Ruin". I would go with geometric patterns on Ignis face, at least that's how I remember they were described. I'm planing a Unit based on Ignis and Credence. The whole idea of an battleautomata commanded by a sorcerer is not new in a Thousand Sons army, but it reminds me of the golems of old. I liked how Khalophis back in the "A Thousand Sons" novel controlled several of them or when he took control ofthe Warlord-Titan Canis Vertex. So awesome.

Wondering if you ever made these miniatures?

I finally got around to converting a pair of these, though still need to paint them and try and work out a set of rules that do them justice.

Main liberty that I took with Ignis was the mechandrites, whilst he's not described with them in the novels, it made sense to me that they should be included.

Ignis and Creedance

• 3 months later...

After a long downtime a managed to start a new project. It is difficult to motivate myself to paint again, but there is always room for some converting.

This is just the start. I want the Contemptor in the end to look like a 40K version of the 30k Osiron Contemptor. For now I want to get the headcrest done and something for the cest. This time I have to use more GS than I like, but I guess I'm overdue learning to do basic sculpts. So far I chose one of the staff heads from the exalted Sorcerers kit instead of a scarab or one of legions symbols. I think it fits well (just blue tacked). In the end the head crest will be inspired by the old metal/resin Thousand Sons sorcerer from the upgrade kit. I just need to find a suitable helmet but nothing comes to mind.

gallery_76164_9665_25793.jpg

Speaking of Ignis..have we any mentioning of the "order of Ruin" outside the Ahriman series? Like what heraldry they used? Painting-wise those fractal Roscharch patterns are probably ..interesting..to achieve..

As far as I know, no, that's the first mentioning of the "order of Ruin". I would go with geometric patterns on Ignis face, at least that's how I remember they were described. I'm planing a Unit based on Ignis and Credence. The whole idea of an battleautomata commanded by a sorcerer is not new in a Thousand Sons army, but it reminds me of the golems of old. I liked how Khalophis back in the "A Thousand Sons" novel controlled several of them or when he took control ofthe Warlord-Titan Canis Vertex. So awesome.

Wondering if you ever made these miniatures?

Not yet, but maybe in the future.

Here's some minimal progress on the head crest. Unfortunately I had no time for more today. There will be some piece of trim running down the middle of the crest from the symbol.

Those stripes are 2mm high. Thanks to Augustus I now know how where to get 1mm glass beads to add some rivets. Next thing will be something on the chest. Either a scarab or somethinf else. There are some nice pieces to copy from Magnus armor.

The crest before trimming:

gallery_76164_9665_67380.jpg

After timming:

gallery_76164_9665_33925.jpg

And with tzeentch symbol:

gallery_76164_9665_27755.jpg

So much more work to do!