Thousand Sons - Those Once Loyal - Contemptor Dread WIP

Aasfresser

It's brilliant to see people being more inventive with their Thousand Sons conversions. There is a tendency for them to be somewhat standardised because of the manner in which they are typically presented and described within the background material. I particularly love the idea of using the Vampire Counts/Undead "ghost" bits and pieces to represent their spirit-selves seeping out of ruptured or damaged armour.

Fantastic work.

Thanks! As for the Thousand Sons: I think to go with the Space-Eqyptians-Summerians theme is the right way to handle them. But for their cultists, well they can be anybody! High ranking imperial officials, members of the Ecclesiarchie, Inquisitors, that guy who cleans your office after work and copies/steals data. Anybody!

Wow i love that standard bearer i like how you have mixed some dark elf parts in

Thanks! But the only dark elf bit is the standard head :D Rest is Cadians, Bretonians and some MaxMinis Heads.

Aasfresser, thinking about making a whole detachement of R&H allies perhaps? :smile.:

To be honest, I didn't want to in the beginning, but now with the cool "start collecting" boxes, who knows :D

Awesome stuff.

Thanks!

I thought I'd leave this guy here - a former Thousand Sons Sorcerer who joined my Iron Warriors warband :smile.:

gallery_43993_7905_173255.jpg

Nice! I like the DA robes. My old TS-Chosen are based on those DA robes. But as a member of the IW, he need more chevrons!

Aasfresser - Once again really great update, the Cultist are looking really cool. Take it you watch Game of Thrones with there Icon/Greyjoys? It would be great to see them go on to a Renegade list with Armour 13 Lost & the Damned.

I watch GoT and I read all the SoIaF books, but the kraken here was inspired by our lord and savior Cthulhu. I

Nice! I like the DA robes. My old TS-Chosen are based on those DA robes. But as a member of the IW, he need more chevrons!

I thought about it but then I didn't find a good spot in the model where to put them :biggrin.:

• 2 months later...

Well.... It was busy the last two months and very very unmotivated.

So I will drop this WIP pictures from a new from old Obliterator. He is not finished by far. I need to tidy up some stuff and finish some of the flesh parts. I think I'll shorten the Helbrute plasma cannon, but I'm not sure yet. Initially I thought I can make the tin abominations the obliterators are look like something that could fit into my TS. But not with all the slapped on flesh on the original model. It's so hard to get rid of, way to much work. So I decided to go with Iron Warrior Oblits. If my GS skills were better one could make an awesome ghostly obliterator burning from the inside. replacing the fleshy parts with flames. Like Ingus from Planescape: Torment, but in Obliterator Armour. But I have to work with the skills I got :smile.:

Damn, now I want to try it....

So what do you think?

med_gallery_76164_10703_125307.jpg

med_gallery_76164_10703_121721.jpg

And a size comparison with a unmodified oblit and a TDA.

med_gallery_76164_10703_52632.jpg

Edited by Aasfresser

• 3 weeks later...

I think it looks cool. 

The Cannon may be a fraction two big, but its not a huge deal

Thank you Uveron! Yeah, in the end, I shortened it a bit. And I still like it!

BEST obliterator EVER!!! from the old metal model anyways!

Thank you!

Agree with Uveron. Looks good, even if the cannon is a bit big.

Thank you very much, Teets!

You are making a great start on that and I am glad to see you back updating.

Thanks! I'll try to post more stuff in the future. If there is more stuff, that is ... :D

Cool Oblit for sure. POlasma cannon is a biiiit too big still, but I'm sure you'll fix that. You're certainly making the ugly models look worth buying with those conversions.

Thank you very much, Augie! Hope you still like him :tongue.:

And here he is, waiting for ETL!

Sons of the Cyclops Black Legion Obliterator WIP 1

Sons of the Cyclops Black Legion Obliterator WIP 3

Sons of the Cyclops Black Legion Obliterator WIP 2

I decided to paint him as one of the Sons of the Cyclops, like my plasma chosen.

And I could finally grab some BaC MkIV Marines! Thanks to a  bits donation from IP I converted two of them to two lowly Rubricae. I like the look :D
They are a bit light on the chaos ikonographies but paint and maybe some GS will help. 

Mk IV Thousand Sons Rubricae

And last but not least, something completely different:

Last year I bought a Space Wolves Iron Priest for my cousin as a birthday present. A few weeks before the new plastic one was released... Well he wanted to put him on a thunderwolf, but didn't knew how to manage the conversion. So I offered him some help. I want my prey to look pretty :ph34r.:

I call this project "Project Wolf Hunt" ;)

Space Wolves Iron Priest on Thunderwolf WIP 1

Space Wolves Iron Priest on Thunderwolf WIP 2

Space Wolves Iron Priest on Thunderwolf WIP 3

Space Wolves Iron Priest on Thunderwolf Base

It was horrible to lengthen the legs and torso to make him somewhat comparable to other normal Space Marines. And the right arm... oh boy was there a lot of rasping, cutting and "drehmeling"... The servo arms will be a custom build after an awesome tutorial from a fellow german hobbyist. I'm still waiting for some bits, though...

The base might be a bit degrading for the Thousand Sons, but if you look very closely, you can see a grenade in the Rubricaes right hand. This puppy will be neutered very soon... I cant wait to see this guy finished. And I can't wait to start the wolf hunt ;)

I think it looks cool. 

Are you sure you're an Iron Warrior?

Look great. I think the cannon is the right size, but that it's too far forward. The shield on the gun should be very close to the shoulderpad, I think, so the lower armour plates actually go behind the elbow joint.

Basically, put the hellbrute elbow joint where the obbies elbow joint would be. Currently it seems way forward.

I was looking at threads with the black legion tag for motivation and oh boy did I find it here.  I just went through your entire thread and part way through dug through my bits box and scratch build a sorcerer.  I want to field the new black legion sorcerer formation but I needed one more.  Seeing how good you made scratch building them seeing easy gave me to idea to be able to do that too.

I think it looks cool.

Are you sure you're an Iron Warrior?

Look great. I think the cannon is the right size, but that it's too far forward. The shield on the gun should be very close to the shoulderpad, I think, so the lower armour plates actually go behind the elbow joint.

Basically, put the hellbrute elbow joint where the obbies elbow joint would be. Currently it seems way forward.

Yeah, I see what you mean. Unfortunately I can't change that now :(

Haha that grenade is a cool detail indeed. You've managed a great conversion despite the difficulties.

Pray tell a linky to the servo arm tutorial?

Thank you! And here's the link. The tutorial is a bit further down the post and it's in German. But googletranslate should help, if not, just ask, I can translate it.

I was looking at threads with the black legion tag for motivation and oh boy did I find it here. I just went through your entire thread and part way through dug through my bits box and scratch build a sorcerer. I want to field the new black legion sorcerer formation but I needed one more. Seeing how good you made scratch building them seeing easy gave me to idea to be able to do that too.

Thank you very much! I'm glad I could inspire you. Don't forget to post your conversions somewhere on the B&C, I'd like to see them :)

The second Oblit is finished so far.

That's him in the beginning:

med_gallery_76164_9728_51299.jpg

And ca. 4 hours later:

gallery_76164_9728_85977.jpggallery_76164_9728_34165.jpggallery_76164_9728_89951.jpggallery_76164_9728_112323.jpg

I like him and his "oven mittens" a lot :D

Next time I try to use some copper wire and more round and plain tubes. I love the tube tool, but some change would be nice. As said somewhere, he will be part of my Black Legion Sons of the Cyclops Allies.

Hope you like him!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, hm... I adjusted the position of the right leg and I guess that solved the pelvis "problem".

Also, the third one is finished! I can't wait to paint them. They will be part of my first ETL vow this year. 

Sons of the Cyclops Black Legion Obliterator Wip 1

Sons of the Cyclops Black Legion Obliterator wip2

Sons of the Cyclops Black Legion Obliterator wip3

Sons of the Cyclops Black Legion Obliterator wip4

Here is the whole group. 

Sons of the Cyclops Black Legion Obliterator Group

Hope you like the last one as well :D

Those Obliterators are absolutely incredible! Fantastic use of the Helbrute weapons -- and especially of the Helbrute faces, as they really sell the models for me!

There's one thing bothering me, though: the topknot on the second guy. I put it down to personal taste, but the feeling got even stronger after seeing the third model. The topknot just seems like a strange addition to models that are otherwise characterised by the juxtaposition of metallic weaponry and armour plates and mutated fleshmetal -- if you want to have something there, I think some kind of helmet crest would work better. I'm also not all that hot on the latest guy's fur trophy, basically for the same reason.

Beyond those small complaints, however, those guys are fantastic! :)