[HH1.0] Sons of Horus Tactica

Dorrance

Well they are, you just have to run Orbital assault, which with SoH is super easy and poweful.

You take Maloghurst as your master of the legion and the Orbital Assault rite. Then fill your troops with drop podding vets /readers / teleporting Justaerian etc :biggrin.:

but dosent the justarin have tobe in droppods too?

Jup, thread slowed down a bit, guess because everything had been discussed thrice.. :wink:

Personally I love Volkite. 10 Culverins are over 300 points, but damn, they gun down everything.. sure, other legions might do it better with the same unit, but still, love them.

If you want to go with a cool unit that fits the SoH special rules.. support squads with volkite chargers and CCW. Good punch with 2 attacks base +2 for charging and outnumbering, but the gem is of course bs5 volkite.. 20 St 5 Shots with deflegrate plus charging afterwards is nothing to sniff at.. it's a bit of a terror squad and we know, they are pretty effective.

Hot damn that's a good idea!

That would make them beasts as your primary anti-infantry in an Armoured Breakthrough list.

Actually Sons of Horus get some nice mileage in their Rite from the Culverin squad, since they are relentless in your deployment zone and re-roll 1s on the first turn of the game.

I like the unit too, although I keep it to 8 and spend the points on a bunker with ammo stores.

So, I finally bought Horus. I felt that I needed to paint him and yesterday I ordered it from FW. I know I will field him in all the games I can just because he's so cool, but I wanted to know what do you think about his rules. Stick it with 10 justaerin and a primus medicae? Use his improved DS rule? Get him a transport? Is he too expensive to be effective? Edited by The Traitor

So, I finally bought Horus. I felt that I needed to paint him and yesterday I ordered it from FW. I know I will field him in all the games I can just because he's so cool, but I wanted to know what do you think about his rules. Stick it with 10 justaerin and a primus medicae? Use his improved DS rule? Get him a transport? Is he too expensive to be effective?

Horus is a great combatant, I've seen him decimate infantry, tanks and even rip Knights apart...BUT he really needs a transport. A savvy opponent will just avoid a footslogging Horus and that is a huge chunk of your army being ineffective.

Edited by Rangaman

It's still the most reliable way to get him where you want him to be, while a transport can be destroyed. Now you could include another big combat unit like a full despoiler boat in a Kharybdis or Spartan, and their transport could potentially pick them up later if it's still operational. The retinue of Justaerin being scoring helps you force the issue too. It's about as brutal as death stars get in 30K.

It says terminator armoured unit now that I read it again so you're right, navigator is out until I get a kharybdiss, but a terminator armoured primus medicae shouldn't have any problem. A shame, that -1BS to enemy shooting attacks could have been awesome... Maybe I'll deploy him in another unit and try to attach him to Horus and his justies later, for just 50 points he's great. Edited by The Traitor

It says terminator armoured unit now that I read it again so you're right, navigator is out until I get a kharybdiss, but a terminator armoured primus medicae shouldn't have any problem. A shame, that -1BS to enemy shooting attacks could have been awesome... Maybe I'll deploy him in another unit and try to attach him to Horus and his justies later, for just 50 points he's great.

Just know that, no matter what unit you attach the Navigator to, since he's a Sworn Brother/Agent, he can't ride in any SoH Transports.

It says terminator armoured unit now that I read it again so you're right, navigator is out until I get a kharybdiss, but a terminator armoured primus medicae shouldn't have any problem. A shame, that -1BS to enemy shooting attacks could have been awesome... Maybe I'll deploy him in another unit and try to attach him to Horus and his justies later, for just 50 points he's great.

Just know that, no matter what unit you attach the Navigator to, since he's a Sworn Brother/Agent, he can't ride in any SoH Transports.

Unless you house-rule it, of course.

Good point... No navigator then I fear, as he will be unable to join them without a transport.

On one hand, I find that interaction of being able to join units but not ride with them in their transports to be extremely silly.  On the other hand, the Navigator is pretty awesome and it would be potentially annoying to see him pop up everywhere like we saw with void shield generators and phase shifters. I mean, it's more of a model for FFG RPGs or maybe a Zone Mortalis scenario on a ship. There is really no reason why Horus and his badass Justaerin bodyguard would pluck their Navigator out of his capsule and bring him along for a raiding party. :D

tryed playing last weekend was 1000 points of my SoH allied with another player running alfa legion vs 2000points of orks and we got beat very very badly, what would you guys run agenst a 2000 point ork army ? and why? ( looking for some tactical advice with the list ) thanks! :) Edited by thamier

On one hand, I find that interaction of being able to join units but not ride with them in their transports to be extremely silly.  On the other hand, the Navigator is pretty awesome and it would be potentially annoying to see him pop up everywhere like we saw with void shield generators and phase shifters. I mean, it's more of a model for FFG RPGs or maybe a Zone Mortalis scenario on a ship. There is really no reason why Horus and his badass Justaerin bodyguard would pluck their Navigator out of his capsule and bring him along for a raiding party. :biggrin.:

"COME 3 EYED MANLING! I CAN SHOW YOU THE WORLD!"

I was thinking to fill the compulsory choices with assault squads with combat shields, just wanted to see if anyone else has been running it that way? Only because fleet should help them get to where they need to be pretty quickly.

I was thinking to fill the compulsory choices with 15 man assault squads with combat shields, just wanted to see if anyone else has been running it that way? Only because fleet should help them get to where they need to be pretty quickly.

Combat shields work versus everything and are cheaper than an apothecary. I will go for shields before apothecary. In fact I may even go 5 extra dudes before apothecary. At 15 strong yeah, apothecary away because any bigger is too unwieldy a unit.