[HH1.0] Sons of Horus Tactica

Dorrance

Reavers are getting 3As each and the Chieftan is getting 4As that's only 14As less than a 20 man assault squad so you're getting a good deal really. I've had my Reavers kill Terminator squads just down to sheer weight of attacks but I would advise this if they get stuck in combat they are dead.

Pretty positive if you run the numbers, combat shield assault squads will mince an equal point amount of Reavers.

Hi all!

I am the new guy here. Just starting the Horus Heresy, and decided to go with sons of Horus (with luna wolves armor paint job).

After a long month's of thinking which HH army should i go with, finally i decided for the Horus, as he is the primarch that would fit my playstile the most. 

However, i am not in 40k waters for a long time. I played it long time ago, in 2006. probably the last time. And while i do look at some battle reports now and then, and read some stuff (mostly fluff).. i am not rly taht deep into rulls it self.

What i would like to know, is  - are the reavers better unit to pick, over assault squad when i have on my list Horus?

Reavers strike me as really expensive unit, for what they can do. But i read a lot about them, being rly good choise for sons of horus.

However Reavers give me +1A, and ap3 guns (+5pts cost permodel), cant go over 15 models (do i need more?), and the cost of 5 of them with jump-packs is 185 Flat equipment with outflank spec. rule

With assault squad i get 10 marines for 175, and they do recive outlfank thro Horus(?).

Is there somethign that i missed? Is taht +1A that expensive? Or jumpacks cant DeepStrike anymore, and therefor go to the reserves?

Reavers used to be awesome because they could be geared as assault marines or combi-weapon seekers, while being better and more or less the same cost or cheaper than those alternatives. Then the core list got updated, and now veterans are the combi-weapon masters, assault marines are a lot cheaper, and seekers are their own unique animal.

a litte off topic but with all the sons of horus fluff experts here i figure here is among the best place to ask, what colurs would a sons of horus primus medicae in terminator armour be? white ? green with white ? anyone know pfrebly in detail legs green torso white? white puldruns or? really unsure about this help would be apriciated so i can get him ready for my list before event :smile.:

thanks!

Like Marshal said, there's no real set scheme. Spots of white here and there help, white narthecium, white pauldron, depending on the model you could easily pick and choose good locations to add white to to make it clearer. Throw on the apothecary symbol somewhere too and you're good to go.

In my list i intend to use: DeepStrike Horus with a gruop of 10 (maybe 9) justerians with combi-melta's.

Is that good thing to do with such a expensive unit? Since i dont have any ways of transport except Phobos land raider, which is not enough for all of them.

Should i enclude apothecary with this unit + 9 terminators? How should i play this unit? DeepStrike and shoot, then next round Horus goes soloing? How do you guys play this... I figure, they can kill something when they deepstrike, so probably better weapon option is combi-melta, over plasma?

Beside this mega unit, i intend to deploy (in 2500pts) :

Vindicator laser aray  (dozer blade, tl bolter) x2

Land raider Phobos (dozer blade, extra armor, multi melta) 

Contemptor Mortis Dreugnoth (TL lascannon, extra armor) 

Veteran Squad  (10 men, artificier armor, power fist)  x2

Rhino (dozer, extra armor, combi weapon) - for a veteran squad

Assault squad (15men, artificier armor, powerfist, melta bomb)

What do you guys think? This is more less all i have (well i have more marines, and dreadnoght) :D

They have the Legiones Astartes rule so I would say yes, could be a potentially dangerous unit to roll around

I wrote up a list (2500 points) with 4 of the dudes and an apothecary on a bike, all with plasma except for the latter.

12" scout, 12" move, you now have crossed any table to get within 12" to double tap, or have effectively a 48" threat range....:O

After reading that Outriders suggestion last night I had a tinker with a list of mine, for the same points as a pair of Plasma Executioner Preds I could roll a largish squad of Plasma Outriders or split them into two smaller units, and the best part is they would probably throw out more pain aswell...

And the mobility is just the icing on the cake!

Edited by Rangaman

After reading that Outriders suggestion last night I had a tinker with a list of mine, for the same points as a pair of Plasma Executioner Preds I could roll a largish squad of Plasma Outriders or split them into two smaller units, and the best part is they would probably throw out more pain aswell...

It's just one of those overlooked units - I was trolling through BattleScribe to finish a list and I rediscovered them lol.

You get the ability to jink, have BS5 plasma spam, 12" continuous movement, and all the legion RoW benefits too!

It's just one of those overlooked units - I was trolling through BattleScribe to finish a list and I rediscovered them lol.

You get the ability to jink, have BS5 plasma spam, 12" continuous movement, and all the legion RoW benefits too!

Just when i thought I was almost done with my SoH for now...too bad I just bought a new army to start :(

Edited by Rangaman

So I'm about to start a Sons of Horus army in a slow grow campaign at my local club. The starting size of the campaign will be 500pts with 1hq 1troop req and no vehicles with more than a total of 32 armor (so only rhinos really). I have had som help from Rangaman with my inital force and after dabbling with bscribe I've come up with this:

+++ 500pts kampanj (Warhammer 30,000 - The Horus Heresy v40) (499pts) +++

++ The Age of Darkness (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List v201) (499pts) ++

+ HQ (65pts) +

········Legion Centurion (65pts) [Power Armour]
············Consul [Delegatus]

+ Troops (434pts) +

········Legion Terminator Squad (215pts) [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Chainfist, 4x Legion Terminators, Lightning Claw, Plasma Blaster, 2x Power Fist]

········Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (219pts) [6x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Veteran Tactics: Marksmen]
············Additional Wargear
················Combi-weapon [Combi-weapon: Plasma gun]
············Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier [Multimelta]
············Legion Veteran Sergeant [bolt Pistol, Bolter, Power Fist]

+ Legion +

········Legiones Astartes [  XVI: Sons of Horus, Traitor]

········Rite of War [Pride of the Legion]

+ Force Organization +

········Force Organization
············Battles in the Age of Darkness [ Age of Darkness Primary Detachment]

I could've just run 3 vet squads in rhinos with 30pts upgrades but I think this might be more fun. Thoughts?

Jup, it's playable. But consider the following things:

Take a Delegatus with AA and PW.

Veterans in Rhino with Combi Weapons beat Terminators in my opinion.

Take at least one quad mortar with shatter shells.

I agree, its not terrible and the Terminators, while being slow, will be very hard to kill at 500 points. The Veterans would actually do better rounded up without Combis in my opinion but you should try them as they are, the fun thing about slow grow campaigns is you get to expand your force as you go.

One thing I will suggest is downgrading the Terminators to Axes or only Powerfists so you can add some upgrades to the Delegatus. He gets a free MC weapon, so you might aswell use it. AA is almost mandatory on him and the Vet Sgt, atleast in the future...

Jup, it's playable. But consider the following things:

Take a Delegatus with AA and PW.

Veterans in Rhino with Combi Weapons beat Terminators in my opinion.

Take at least one quad mortar with shatter shells.

Yeah I will definately add a PW for the delegatus to take advantage of the master crafted rule. Not so sure he needs AA since I plan to run him with the termies.

I don't think I want to use a mortar at 500pts (I own three), it doesnt feel thematic to a small skirmish force

I agree, its not terrible and the Terminators, while being slow, will be very hard to kill at 500 points. The Veterans would actually do better rounded up without Combis in my opinion but you should try them as they are, the fun thing about slow grow campaigns is you get to expand your force as you go.

One thing I will suggest is downgrading the Terminators to Axes or only Powerfists so you can add some upgrades to the Delegatus. He gets a free MC weapon, so you might aswell use it. AA is almost mandatory on him and the Vet Sgt, atleast in the future...

I tried to sprinkle some none ini-1 weapons for the termies to use the Merciless fighters rule but it might be better to run power axes instead and keep it cheap(need to make them swapable since I will probably want fists later on).

Another question: In the AoD army list it says terminators can take a Deathclaw Drop pod. What is this?

In the legion book it says that SoH terminators can take a Dreadclaw Drop pod. This unit has different rules and point costs between the legion and Aod book, which is correct?

So I made a Long March list that includes 5 lascannon marines with a rhino. My thoughts are:

1.)Stay embarked so that the squad isn't KO'd the first round of shooting if you don't get it.

2.) your first turn, disembark the lascannons, shoot them with rerolls on 1's. Flat out with the rhino to block enemy LoS

3.) move Rhino away to create fire lane for your lascannons and flat out when needed to obstruct enemy LoS on your relentless lascannons. They can move with the rhino, using it as cover.

Edit: this will be the squad I leave Maloghurst with, he makes them fearless (don't want your lascannons running away), can soak up some hits, and can counter assault a unit to let your lascannons fire for another turn.

Edited by depthcharge12

Question on a raw vs rai thing. They gain relentless at the start of the turn/movement phase right? Many faq''s say that an embarked unit is not actually on the battlefield for many different rules purpose's. And following that logic  the unit is not in your deployment zone until you disembark them. 

Question on a raw vs rai thing. They gain relentless at the start of the turn/movement phase right? Many faq''s say that an embarked unit is not actually on the battlefield for many different rules purpose's. And following that logic the unit is not in your deployment zone until you disembark them.

Could be true, honestly I think it's splitting hairs. Even if it's true, you can just deploy them behind the Rhino and it'll block LoS with such a small squad ;)

No, not by a long shot. They cost the same amount as a plasma gun, and all that's going to get you is one less shot (with less range, irrelevant in terms of bonuses but scatter is likely applicable if you're spending points on plasma pistols in order to get a turn 1 bonus) for the same cost. If you're putting it on a Sergeant, buy a combi-weapon instead.

Are plasma pistols worth taking in SoH now?

Bs 5 with death dealers and when using the Long March rite of war, they're BS10 effectively for the first turn.

Plasma Pistols not worth taking, Plasma guns on the other hand.....now there's a winning mix I feel (particularly with the first turn alpha with the Long March) but even then, BS5 with them means you have a much higher chance of deleting the majority of a squad in one volley.

That's why all my Justaerin are being fitted with combi-plasmas so they can just *boop* a squad out of existence (hopefully)

Hey guys,

I would like  your opinion on the following unit used in a 2,500 point army with the Long March.

7 Veterans with 6 combi-meltas, meltabombs in an Anvillus Dreadclaw

Total points is 324

It is a good squad for killing vehicles. Not expensive (too) much. I would pull them in my list if only i had dreadclaw. :smile.:

On the other side, i would like to ask players ... are librarians any good here to use? 

I was thinking to use a librarian with my assault squad, perhaps (maybe) he would be better over  a chaplain with them?

How do you use your librarians, if anyone realy does :biggrin.: I havent seem much of them being used in 30k. Do they simly suck special versus primarchs, or they are just not good point cost effective?

Edited by JohnnyDorianx

Divination libbys are hilarious good fun when combined with the right squad and if you roll the powers you want.

Get off prescience and the malediction power with your volkite culverin and giggle as the opponent is showered in rending Martian death ray.