The Redeemers ~ Black Maru's Order of Redemption

Bukimimaru

I was seriously considering an all DC army, it would look dead cool and I've already got all the models I would need fully painted.

Would I be able to fit an Archangels list in at 1,000 points?

I have none of the Apoc stuff, and with Tycho and Landraider etc that sounds like it wouldnt fit in 1,000 point either.

I was thinking of going with Corbulo (because when else am I going to use him?) a couple of Tacs in Rhinos, Assualt Marines in a Droppod and a Baal Pred.

Seems fluffy but none of it really... clicks.

Personally I will never see Archangels as fluffy, they just seem so shoehorned into the game and underwhelming. Let DA keep their army of TDA thank you very much!

As for a DC army though, honestly one of the more fun and fluffy lists. You could build it around strike force Mortalis from Exterminatus. The Strike Force Mortalis consists of a Chaplain, 3 Death Company Squads, 2 Death Company Dreadnoughts, and a Stormraven. The units in the formation gain the Crusader special rule as well as Fury of the Forlorn, which grants +1 Attack to models in a combat that are outnumbered but do not have the Rampage special rule.

While it lacks the +1 Initiative from the BSF, crusader and extra attacks is pretty great if you run it as MSU, plus its pretty cheap if you keep it small.

I'll need to get my mits on a second Death Company Dread, but that sounds pretty fun.

I've actually got a Storm Raven painted up with a DC theme, so it should look great all together. :)

That clinches it, Mortalis Formation it is.

I'll post up the full list and pics later tonight.

Thanks Charlo.

Well if all goes to plan my little gaming group plans to have a Youtube channel up at the end of next month.

We all got a little sick of the video batreps that just showcase mega cheese lists or use half painted models / terrain, so we've decided to start work on a youtube channel focusing on fluffy games, story driven legues and missions straight out of campaign supliments like Sheild of Baal or Bloodclaw.

We are all in paint / scenery building mode to try and get it ready to go by the end of May.

If it all works out I'll be posting video batreps of all the different BA formations; they may not be great in competative games, but they should have a chance to be represented in story driven narratives.

So this is what I got using the Mortalis formation:

+++ Strike Force Mortalis (1000pts) +++

····Chaplain [bolt Pistol, Crozius Arcanum, Jump pack, Melta bombs, Warlord]

····Death Company Dreadnought [Magna-grapple, Meltagun and storm bolter, Power Fists]

····Death Company Dreadnought [Magna-grapple, Meltagun and storm bolter, Power Fists]

····Death Company Squad [5x Bolt Pistol, 4x Chainsword, 5x Death Company Marine, Jump Pack, Power Weapon]

····Death Company Squad [5x Bolt Pistol, 4x Chainsword, 5x Death Company Marine, Jump Pack, Power Fist]

····Death Company Squad [5x Bolt Pistol, 4x Chainsword, 5x Death Company Marine, Jump Pack, Power Fist]

····Stormraven Gunship [Hurricane Bolter Sponsons, Twin Linked Assault Cannon, Twin-linked Multimelta]

It's certainly not how I would normally run my DC, I generally like to take squads of 7 minimum, and having no drop pods for the DC Dreads is going to be... Different.

But hey, it's a fluffy list, it's battleforged and it should be good fun to play, plus the only thing I need to paint would be a second DC dread that I'm hoping to pick up over the weekend.

Thoughts?

It seems that my plan for an All DC list is out the window.

Getting my hands on a second DC dread has been more trouble than its worth, so I've resigned myself to taking a more "typical" BA list.

BSF - 1000 points.

Captain - Artificer Armour, Bike, Powerfist, Storm Shield, Combi-grav.

7 man DC Squad, Powerfist, Powersword

10 man Tac Squad, Flamer, Heavy Flamer, Combiflamer, Rhino

10 man Tac Squad, Melta, Multimelta, Infurnus Pistol, Rhino

4 man Bike squad, Grav, Grav, Combi-grav

Attackbike, Multimelta

Pros; Fast, tough and should pack a solid punch.

Cons; No OBSEC, low model count, no anti-air, lots to paint.

Thoughts?

Inferno Pistol becomes Combi Melta. Extra 5 points makes power fist into Thunder Hammer.

Because Awesome.

But seriously the 3 inch melta change on a very expensive pistol isn't going to do much

Also your blog and back story is pretty good man. Keep it up! The 'email' conversations at the start are really funny.

Thanks man, glad someone took the time to read them.

I dont have a combi-melta model available at the moment, I used up all my spares making a 4 combi-melta Sternguard squad over the weekend, so the infernus will have to do for now. The legue has a pretty specific WYSIWYG rule.

I only usually take infernus pistols in drop pod meltacide units because you can usually get within 3-6" without too much trouble.

You are totally right about the thunderhammer, the 5 points it costs to go from a powerfist to a bad-ass looking hammer is worth it just for the rule-of-cool. Might see if I can find 5 points somewhere...

Good afternoon Brothers.

I've recently made a new friend who's been collecting Warhammer for a few years, but hasnt played for a while.

He mentioned in passing that he used to paly tabletop games but hasnt found anywhere to play since moving to my area 12 months or so ago. He was exited to hear that I run a gameing group, so I've invited him round for a game.

He plays Tyranids and I remember he mentioned that he likes to take a Flyrant, a Dakkafex and a Harpy, then max out his gaunts with leftover points.

As he hasnt played in a while, I've no intention to take a beardy list and smash him, thats not how I like to play anyway, and certaintly not against someone who is out of practise. That being said, as the guy who runs out little gaming group, I dont want to get pummelled. >_<

I was thinking about taking the following:

Chaplain - Jump Pack.

10x DC -Jump Packs, 1x Fist.

5 x Scouts - Camo-cloaks

10 x Tac Squad - Flamer, Heavy Flamer, Combi-flamer, Rhino

Vindicator - SeigeShield, Bolter

Defenceline - Quad Gun,

Chaplain goes with the DC. Thier job is to scalp anything with Synapse. Take away their fearless and the army should crumble.

The Tac Squad drive around BBQ'ing blobs of gaunts along on of the table flanks.

Vindi drives up the middle of the board and pie-plates whatever it can see, blobs, monsters, whatever.

Scouts sit behind the def line and try to shoot down anything that can fly.

I've got about 125 points left to spend, but I'm not sure what to spend it on.

Bikes? a Meltacide Squad?

Thoughts?

If you could find 10 ten points I have a crazy suggestion.... Baal Predator! With heavy bolters. While the Quad Gun is scaring the Hive Tyrant all that ap 4 is going to force the Harpy to jink or risk some hurt. Plus the AV 13 will be resist to alot of his head on shooting while still being easy enough for him to flank with his fliers to glance to death (don't want to be too cheesy- maybe drop a subtle hint to that effect)

If you have 125 to spend, drop the combi flamer. Three templates is a lot of overlap anyway. That puts you at 135, just enough for the Baal with Heavy Bolters. Then you have 3 tanks, a nice little defense position and a hammer unit. Gives you the option to stay behind the wall and make him come to you, or charge out and contest with all the tanks.

Alternativly, how about I go for a more fluffy list and bring out Karlean and his 'nid stomping boys?

Cpt Karlean

Squad Alpheus

Raffens DC

Cassor the Damned

5x Assault Marines in a pod (Melta, Melta, Combi-melta)

Baal Pred

997 points

Assault Marines drop turn 1 and pop the lynchpin Synapes Monster.

Raffen and his lads hunt down the Carnifex.

The big issue here is not much crowd control or Anti-flyer.

Maybe swap out the Baal for a Vindi?

In the darkest Chamber of his mighty fortress, Black Maru sits in meditation. He had left specific instructions not to be disturbed, but Assault Sargeant Brian of Fahlnor was sure his Lord would make an exception. He raised his mighty Powerfist, and carefully rapped three solid thuds upon the colossal chamber door.

"Lord Maru!" He boomed as confidently as he could muster. "I bring news from Kiba's scouts regarding your investigation!"

"Sod off. I'm busy" came Maru's muffled response.

"My lord, you made Sargeant Kiba swear on the Golden Throne that he would update you as soon as he found the relic."

"Very well, meet me in the war room in five minutes."

"The war room sir?" Brain replied. He had been in Maru's employ since his unceremonious dismissal as Manacurist to Commisar Yarrik of the Astra Militarum, but he had never seen a "war room" anywhere in Maru's sprawling fortress.

"Yes, the War room! Third floor, second door on the left"

"Very well my Lord" shouted Brian, who dared not to mention that the room on the third floor, second door on the left was more commonly referred to as the Kitchen. Maru never did have much of a budget for extravagant things, but his heart was in the right place at it was best to keep up the charade of legitimate Astartes business, lest the inquisition decide to take an interest in what the Order was really up to.

The Grand Librarian Black Maru, master of the Order of Redemption and unenthusiastic hero of the Imperium swooped into the War Room ne' Kitchen and sat down as graciously as one can when clad in power armour and perched upon Swedish snap-fit furniture.

"Well?" He demanded "this better be good, I was deep in study of the various forms taken by Deamonettes."

"It is about this very research that I wish to speak. If you recall, you sent Sargeant Kiba's Rat Pack to locate the Slaanesh relic?"

Maru's attitude visiblely changed from irritated to intrigued in a heartbeat.

"They have it?"

"Well, no, but they have located it. There has been a... Complication."

Maru rolled his eyes like a bored child. "Complications are of no interest to me. Where is the disc?"

"Kiba's scouts have sent word from a planet in a neighbouring sector, 'Hentai IX'. They advise that the planets surface is covered in a harsh toxic slime, and bilious tentacles burst from fissures in the ground."

"Hmmm." Maru's mumbled under his breath, "This does indeed sound like environment one would associate with this particular relic."

Brian lowered his hulking metal fist and gentlely scratched his right leg uncomfortably.

"If I may, sir, what exactly is this relic? It's sounds like a horrifying and tainted artifact. Why would you desire to possess such a thing?"

"The relic is a disc hailing from ancient Terra, containing visual and audio data. It is believed to document the earliest known attacks of Slaaneshi Daemons, who preyed upon the female population of long forgotten Earth race called the Jap-en-eez. I wish to... study it in private and see how this valuable data may benefit our Order."

"A most noble cause" spoke Brian earnestly. "But before going to retrieve this artefact, you must be made aware that the tentacles engorging the planet and not those of the loathed Deamons of Slaanesh, but those of the Great Devourer."

"Tyranids?" Grimaced Maru. "I hate Tyranids. Who do we have available that has experience dealing with these space cockroaches?"

"I belive Captain Red Fox has first hand combat experience, as does Tactical Squad 'Cleansing Inferno' if I recall correctly."

"Very well." Maru declared, standing up and slamming his hand down upon the plastic table. "Prepare my men; we leave for Hentai IX in t-minus... After lunch."

-----------------------------

Well, I finally decided on a list to take on my friends Tyranids. After a lot of to'ing and fro'ing I decided that fluff should be king, and If Blood Angels were to be fighting Tyranids, the best place to look for inspiration would be the Shield of Baal set.

Strike Force Deathstorm:

Captain Red Fox (using Karleans rules)

Cassor the Damned

Raphen's Death Company

Squad Alpheus

Flesh Tearers Strike Force

Black Maru (mlv2 Libby with jump pack)

5xTac Squad with Heavy Flamer and Combi-Flamer on the Sgt.

Drop pod for Cassor.

Deathstorm

Game is Wednesday night, decided to go with the Deathstorm formation, allied with the a Fleshtearer detachment containing Black Maru (Mlv1 on Biomancy) with a Jump Pack to join Raffen's Squad, and a 5 man Heavy Flamer/Combi-flamer Tac squad in a Laserback.  

Just got 3 Tac Marines and the Term squad to paint up tonight and tomorrow.

Wish me luck.

Because I have only ever taken Sanguinary since the new 'dex and I felt like mixing it up. I dont have the cards to hand and I dont know what any of the pwoers are off hand, I jsut remeber that everyone goes on about Biomancy all the time. >_<

Would Biomancy not be beneficial to a 5 man Deathcompany squad?

Which Discipline would you reccomend?

Totally understandable to want to mix it up. As for what I would suggest?

Sanguinary :teehee:

Failing that:

• Biomancy has the potential to turn your Librarian into a beast; it's just a shame when you roll the wrong powers...
  • Divination might be the best for your DC on a whole, having to cast Prescience with a level 1 Librarian could be a problem...
  • Pyromancy is the unexpected and funny option. While it appears surprisingly balanced, it does offer too much close range anti-personnel for a DC-borne Librarian

Divination is a pretty good choice, just hope to avoid Scryers Graze. Telepathy could also be good for Psychic Shrieking some wounds off his big nastiest before you charge. There is also invisibility.... but if you want to be nice just exchange that for something else if you roll it (shrouding?) If tgis guy is still pretty new to 7th.... let necrons/eldar show him how cheesy this game can get.

Once again I had an awesome game and completly forgot to take any pictures. :/

As with all intro / re-intro games, it was a slow affair, but at 1,000 points we had a small enough model count to keep the game moving effectivly. We played Maelstrom mission one, dawn of war deployment.

My list:

- Deathstorm Formation -

Cpt. Karlean

Squad Alpheus

Raffen's Death Company

Cassor the Damned

-Fleshtearer's Detachment-

ML1 Libby with jump pack.

5 man TAC Sqaud with Heavy Flamer, combi-flamer & Powersword on Sgt.

Razorback with Twinlink Lascannon

His List (from memory):

Flyrant - Sything Talons, Heavy Venom Cannon

Carnifex - Crushing claws, Stranglthorn Cannon

Harpy - Twinlinked Strangeler

25 Hormagaunts

20 Termagants with Devourers

Haruspex

It wasnt really what you would call a close game, my unfortunate opponent had some very unlukcy rolls, but as we were just going over the rules neither of us were palying especially aggressivly.

My opponents main issue was (I think) lack of Synapse, once my Presience-fuelled Death Company charged his Hive Tyrant and punched it into oblivion, all his other units lost fearless and were either caught in a sweeping advance or run off the table. 

His Harpy was stuck in an eternal close combat with Cassor, both of us rolling terribly each turn and doing no damage to each other.

The Haruspex charged Raffen's DC and immediatly died without casuing a single wound to them.

His Hormagaunts charged my Terminator squad and they were doing a good job, killing 3 terminators over 2 turns, until they lost Synapse / fearless and then ran away.

Over all I really enjoyed the game, my opponent was a pleasure to do battle with and he has decided to join my gaming groups league that kicks off next month.

Thanks for the advice about Divination, it was seriously helpful for putting the Hive Tyrant down.

In fact my Death Company are on a roll this week, having killed 45 Pink Horrors, A guard Blob with Yarrick (they killed Yarrick 3 times before he stayed down), a Haruspex and a Hive Tyrant. Not bad for a week's work.

So my gaming group is officially moving to Youtube! :D

On the first of June my FLGS is letting us use his store after hours to record our first 4 League games.

The "Six Up Save" league will have all 10 members playing one game against everyone else (totaling 100 games) using the same 1000 point list. Every game will be Maelstrom and Dawn of War deployment.

Confirmed armies:

Naz - Grey Knights

Charles - Tyranids

Dae - Orks

Sam - Nurgle Daemons

Stone - Tzeech Daemons

Matt - Iron Hands / Assassins

Jamie - Space Wolves

Paul - Nurgle Marines

Martin - Eldar

Fortunatly between us and the game store we have about 10 different tables and a bunch of scenery so the video batreps that are going up wont be too "samey".

The idea behind the league is that everyone takes really fluffy armies; something that really personifies a certain eliment of the army or replicates a famous battle from the armies past.

For instance the Ork player is taking a "Scrapheap" theme, with BigMeks and loads of Gretchin, surrounded by Deff Dreadz and Killakanz.

Here's my take on a Fluffy 1000 point BA alpha Stike list:

Chaplain - Jumppack, Bolt pistol, Crozius.

7x Death Company - Jump Packs, Powerfist, Powersword.

Furioso Dread - Frag Cannon, Flamer, Drop pod.

10x Tac Sqaud - Flamer, Heavy Flamer, Combi-flamer.

5x Sniper Scouts with Camo Cloaks.

5x Assault Marines, Melta, Melta, Combi-melta, Drop pod.

5x Assault Marines, Melta, Melta, Combi-melta, Drop pod.

That comes to 996 points and should be a real handful for most of my opponents.

I'm expecting to have a hard time against the Grey Knights because of all the 2+ Saves and the Tzeech list becuase he likes to take Flying Princes.

Archived