Today in the hobby I....

Aegnor

Tith I intend to put some time into my current tasks...

Finishing my incomplete vow from WF-FDN. And building a 5 man assault squad... magnetizing them since I need these 5 guys to be kind of flexible... first attempt at magnetizing!

TDBYITH (the day before yesterday), I reorganised my marine bitz box into a new larger one, right before realising I had the contents of two tactical squad and a devastator kit to add to it as well...thinking I should have got a bin at this point for it all :teehee:.

TITHI (had) plan(ned) to actually get a shifty on doing a new devastator squad for my Crimson Watchers. It'll be the first anything I've built for them in nearly a year and a half, and after finally planning out an army list for it all.

But instead I got distracted reading Master of Mankind again, and pondering buying the red books for HH so I can finally stop relying on Battlescribe.

This past weekend I kicked off a fairly involved project for Shadow War: Armageddon.

One part is an Adeptus Arbites patrol team, which is slowly arriving in the post.  There's going to be a heavy Dredd influence (par for the course) but I'm also looking at some interesting cyber-mastiffs, transport vehicles, objective markers, etc. to flesh out the faction.

The other part is a collection of civilian models.  I like the idea of the SWA backdrop being a living environment, compared to the battlefields of 40K.  Some fights may be in abandoned areas, or maybe the populace got enough advanced warning to get out of the way.  But I also want to see fights in crowded marketplaces, across thoroughfares with foot traffic, in refineries with operators scurrying for safety, etc.  Heck, even a good old fashioned barfight would be nice.

Tith I lamented and considered stripping and re-scaling all 300 Space Marines (including some pewter models) from my Vengeance Crusade... a thousand curses be upon thee geedub for creating Marines 4.0... they make the Rogue Trader Marines look like squats (of a maybe Space Marines from epic 40k) from a bygone era, so they'll be sitting in the shelf from now on... meanwhile, the said Space Marines will now need bigger Rhinos too... probably using Rhino Chassis and the Land Raiders all need to e changed into Spartans... and all Predators need to be updated Sicaran chassis... and all Flyers need to be re-scaled, and the Land Speeders need the size increase to accommodate bigger Marine drivers, and all Dreadnoughts need to be Leviathans or Contemptor size... and Terminators need to be re-scaled into Centurion sizes... and I also need to rescale Centurions to be even bigger Centurions... then there are the Flyers... sigh... just to get the uniformity right so that everyone is of the same scale...

Thanks geedub... I'm going to have to sell the car and the house and still apply for another loan... just to get YOUR scale right... a thousand curses be upon thee to those who pushed True-scale Marines... I'd rather have it that the "human" models were just re-scaled to be smaller...

Should I do it though?

Should I descend into deeper madness?

Should I descend into deeper madness?

sounds like you might already have it covered...

:)

all subjective...

Space Hulk (the newest version) looks pretty good for that. Any better suggestions?

i) betrayal at calth; natural activations, you can choose weapon loadouts, relatively simple rules. possibly an easier intro to 'proper' board gaming than space hulk. that said it's just marines vs marines and requires assemble, painting etc. for a complete novice that's a substantial bit of lead time before rolling any dice.

ii) space hulk; more abstract than 'tabletop' so less of an 'intro course to tabletop'. naratively a winner hands down. plus introduces multiple factions (... what? there are other races than those marine guys?!) rules are great, models are assembled,... nothing bad to say about it.

iii) if you're open to other companies anvil (yep, the bitz folk) have a tabletop offering which looks like a simpler (not worse, just less convoluted) game. it's a table top rather than a stand-alone box game but it has alternating activations. i've only test played it a few times but i'm looking to start into it seriously. rules available on line.

iv) the (relatively) newly released battle for vedros starter box has a simplied rule set if you want a stepping stone into tabletop. i think it's only available in US (definitely not in oz) but there's always the ebay.

and finally...

TITH i finally finished printing off my space hulk project corridor segments. still a butt-tonne of work to go assembling and finishing and so on but just getting to this stage is ace.

TiTH  picked up a good deal on someones left over Scouts and Orks from Shadow Wars.   Kinda makes me sad to see so many people buy this box set only to sell off the components and not enjoy the game, but thats there right.  And I got some super cheap minis out of the deal.

Thinking of pre-ordering the SWA book.   Need to figure out how to spend another 75 quid to trigger free shipping here but for the first time in  like forever, I don't think there are any models I really want to spend the money on.     I know sigh...

Hello

One part is an Adeptus Arbites patrol team, which is slowly arriving in the post.  There's going to be a heavy Dredd influence (par for the course) but I'm also looking at some interesting cyber-mastiffs, transport vehicles, objective markers, etc. to flesh out the faction.

Have you seen the Heralds of Ruin stuff? The arbites featured on there were top. Guess you can't use bikes in SW:A, though...

TithI magnetized a miniature for the first time ever... far from finished, but the sgt of my assault squad can now have a powersword, power axe, shield, or plasma pistol...

Will mag the other 4, and as many weapon options as possible... ultimately they can go 5 bare bones, up to 2 flamers, 3 plasma pistols and a myriad of power weapons to make them vanguard vets if need be...

TiTH -  More hobby and less N&R forum reading :tu:

Worked on close combat scouts.    Thought about swapping out the 'rooney' heads for something else but then a line from a William Gibson novel stuck in my head.

His ugliness was the stuff of legend. In an age of affordable beauty, there was something heraldic about his lack of it. 

excerpt from neuromancer

Today in the hobby I browsed through derpibooru.org (do not go there without protection against ponies, freaks, creeps and fetishists) to look for crossover pictures and was extremely disappointed that there was no picture of Warhammer 40,000 inhabitants murdering the hell out of filthy pastel friendship horses.

On a completely unrelated note, I'm pretty sure I'm immune to fear now.