Khorne's Eternal Hunt - KrautScientist's chaotic WIP thread: Fine-tuning Eightbound...

Thanks for the positive feedback, people! I really appreciate it! :smile.:

I tried to do some further tweaking on the Apothecary model. After some experimentation, it became clear to me that the only kind of shoulder pad that would match the model's left (Chosen) pauldron would be yet another Chosen pauldron, so I swapped in a new right arm. This has also changed the angle of the spear a bit. Take a look:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/8/23/641367-Apothecary%2C%20Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Dumah%2C%20Khorne%2C%20Khorne%27s%20Eternal%20Hunt.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/8/23/641365-Apothecary%2C%20Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Dumah%2C%20Khorne%2C%20Khorne%27s%20Eternal%20Hunt.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/8/23/641366-Apothecary%2C%20Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Dumah%2C%20Khorne%2C%20Khorne%27s%20Eternal%20Hunt.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/8/23/641368-Apothecary%2C%20Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Dumah%2C%20Khorne%2C%20Khorne%27s%20Eternal%20Hunt.JPG

I think the new shoulder pad makes the model seem less lopsided than before, which is definitely an improvement! I'll add a Forgeworld World Eaters decal to the blank pauldron, which should look nice enough. I also think the new angle of the spear works quite a bit better -- and I am actually tempted to keep it, to be honest. Some people over on Dakka have suggested giving him a chaotic version of an asclepius rod, complete with intertwined snakes and all. But while this is admittedly a pretty sweet idea, I fear it would end up too much like something that would appear in an Alpha Legion army. The spear is clearly not intended as a surgical tool either - he has his narthecium gauntlet for that - but as a weapon (and maybe a bit of a sign of office). One option would be to replace the head with a chainsword blade, creating some kind of chain glaive -- what do you think about that? Would it be an improvement? Not sure myself, because it would certainly make the weapon look less unique...

Anyway, let me know what you think! :smile.:

EDIT: Edited the post for better readability, since there seems to have been a little copypaste accident earlier ;)

Edited by KrautScientist

Looks good, I think you should keep the spear, a chain weapon would look odd I think as the narthecium has a chain cutting tool for tearing through armour, as you mentioned it is a surgical tool but I think it still counts as a weapon if needed and I think variation is good and the spear looks a lot cooler than the common chain weapon.

Really nice stuff.

As for the Apothecary's spear, I think I'll keep it like that. A chain glaive would admittedly seem even more Khornate, but there are already several of those in my army. Therefore, the spear does seem like the more unique option: a special artifact only a distinguished officer of the company would wield.

As a kind of "collateral damage" of my Apothecary conversion, I ended up with several badly cut up Dark Vengeance Chosen, parts of which had been used in the model's construction. So I just experimented with those leftovers for a bit. Take a look:

chosen-kitbash-wip-4.jpg

chosen-kitbash-wip-5.jpg

A pretty straightforward kitbash, this one. I think this guy is either Chosen or Skull Champion material.

The second one is a bit more interesting, even though there's not a drop of glue yet:

chosen-kitbash-wip-3.jpg

chosen-kitbash-wip-2.jpg

I never liked that pair of legs all that much - which is why I still had them lying around - but combined with the Chosen upper body, I somehow think I may be on to something here: A champ or sorcerer, maybe with a slightly nurglite vibe? I am very much open to suggestions at this point, so let me hear what you think! ;)

Oh man the second guy just exudes menace!! Really brutal. A fire ball floating in the claw hand would look epic, as if he is getting ready to throw it at an opponent.

I also like the first guy, for some reason I have a feeling he is a fan of Shakespeare, Alas poor Yarrick! (needs a skull or a severed head with trailing spinal column in his claw hand)

Both are absolutely brilliant!

Definitely thinking the staff or something similar for the left hand. The claw doesn't look bad, but a staff would look far more "classic" I think.

I believe it's the boots and robes as opposed to full power armor that makes that "sorcerer vibe."

i been lurking, not posted much not even in my own thrad, but ks you know i admire youbawsome creations and you should keep up the good work.

now ill follow your advice and post my defiler pics and hopefully it be worthy of the b&c

now show us more stuff ks ;)

• 2 weeks later...

So, a small update today:

First up, you'll never guess what my first e-book purchase for my new Iphone was:

iangron.jpg

Yeah, I know, I am probably a hopeless case ;)

I also have a new conversion to show you. Here's a Champ for my traitorous Space Wolves that I converted earlier this week:

lone-wolf-1.jpg

The model really came together rather organically -- I just went with parts that "felt right" for the character ;)

As always, let me know what you think!

Yay for evil wolves!

On a side note, have you ever considered building Svane Vulfbad as a side project, you know, the chap who said-

"I murdered thousands for the Emperor and he gave me nothing except his damning silence. Now his lapdogs yap for every life I take, while the gods promise me the galaxy."

That would be an incredible addition, and knowing how much you like Terminator Lords...

Edited by YFNPsycho

I'm still in love with these traiter wolves, also upset that if I ever got around to doing any they would be poor by comparrison, I might stick to my big stuff haha.

The new champ is stunning as you said, it just works

This is the first I'm hearing of Svane Vulfbad, I too would love to see your take on it, if you don't I will ;)

Cheers for the feedback, people! :)

@ YFNPsycho: While that quote by Svane Vulfbad is easily one of my favourite 40k soundbites, and while the concept of the character was certainly one of the things that influenced me when creating my own "Blood Wolves", I would much rather invent my own characters than fall back on GW's stock ones. That said, my own Joras Turnpelt is easily as badass as Svane -- trust me ;)

I did some more kitbashing today, fine tuning the Chosen conversions I posted further up in this thread.

You'll probably remember this guy:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/9/7/645468-Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Chosen%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Khorne%2C%20Khorne%27s%20Eternal%20Hunt.JPG

Well, I tried a different head on the model, going for a look that was more "faceless killer". Check it out:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/9/7/645469-Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Chosen%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Khorne%2C%20Khorne%27s%20Eternal%20Hunt.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/9/7/645470-Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Chosen%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Khorne%2C%20Khorne%27s%20Eternal%20Hunt.JPG

On the finished model, the helmet would be painted in a contrasting colour (either bronze or bone-coloured, I think). That said, I am honestly not certain which version I like better and would very much appreciate your feedback!

I also worked some more on the chap that was well on his way to becoming a Nurglite Sorcerer last time:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/9/7/645473-Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Death%20Guard%2C%20Nurgle%2C%20Sorcerer%2C%20Warhammer%2040%2C000.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/9/7/645472-Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Death%20Guard%2C%20Nurgle%2C%20Sorcerer%2C%20Warhammer%2040%2C000.JPG

As you can see, I replaced his bolt pistol hand with a hand that looks like he's channelling his psionic powers. I also gave him a staff weapon -- but couldn't help turning it into a scythe with the help of some bitz.

As always, let me know what you think! :)

Love the Apothecary and Chosen you've gotten together since, KrautScientist! They are looking fantastic!

My only question is whether you plan on and what are your plans for removing that tongue from the ribs (and I ask to be self-serving, as I'm hoping to crib off your creations when I get my second set of six Chosen from DV). :D

Thanks, man!

You make a good point regarding the tongue! My current plan is to add some kind of connection port near the armour's gorget, in order to make it look like some kind of tubing. The alternative would be to scrape it off and try to recreate the lost detail underneath -- and that really doesn't seem like the preferrable option ;)

My favorite part of all your kitbashes is trying to figure out which of the dozen + kits you've pulled stuff from. It's hella entertaining.

Looking great so far! If you're going to go with a bronzey color, I'd def pick the helmed marine. I think it would look awesome against the bone colored ribs. Is that a shaved chaos warrior helm from the Knight kit?

killer ^_^