Khorne's Eternal Hunt - KrautScientist's chaotic WIP thread: Fine-tuning Eightbound...

Those look excellent. 

I think my favorite part of the conversion might actually be the bone cross-guard. I though "Man, that's a cool sword" Scrolled down, and then discovered that you had converted it. It looks like part of the original model.  

Damn Kraut, those are rad. The middle man has got to be my favorite, tho. Are you planning on doing up the other 2 models in the kit, or just keep it at a 3 man squad? Either way, really looking forward to seeing them painted. 

-Tarvick

Gosh, godlike conversion work as usual... Those blightking are fantastic  but the mix with the chosen and the sense of detail on the backpack modification let me voiceless. :biggrin.: Thanks again for your great work and the inspiration that gave me^^

It´s a good thing that I´m traveling otherwise I would have already bought a box of these bad boyz :D

Great work as usual

I really like the first one and the heavy.

The second one is a little off for me. Might be the photo though but the fact that the backpack is less prominent than the other two minis keeps the WF aspect.

I would add more vents and tubes still .

but once again  it might be just the picture. 

The heavy really rocks. 

I´m keeping my eyes pilled to see more!

Cheers for the comments, guys! Working on these guys is really a lot of fun at the moment, and I really seem to have hit my stride with them.

@ Darth Mustard: Hmm, I did try adding more vents to the second model's backpack, but it just ended up looking strange and goofy -- maybe I'll just have to live with the fact that he's the most medieval of the bunch? ;)

@ Tarvick: The plan so far is to turn at least four of them into true scale Plague Marines. The fifth model is actually the first one I started working on, but I am slightly unhappy with it right now -- we shall see.

I did start working on the squad's icon bearer, though, and am pretty happy with how he's coming along:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/10/30/659508-Blightkings%2C%20Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Death%20Guard%2C%20Kitbash.JPG

Still missing the actual icon, as you can see. But the rest of the model is mostly there. As always, let me know what you think! :smile.:

Edited by KrautScientist

I've been following your latest conversions of the Blightkings with keen interest and I'm so impressed with your work that I'm seriously considering purchasing a box of these myself. I just have a few questions if like to ask you before I take the plunge. I'm planning on using the kit to make some true scale marines like you have but I am not really a fan of Nurgle and his minions. Do you think that there are enough bits included in this kit to make my marines less "Nurgly" and more unaligned with some conversion work? I plan on removing or filling in the most obvious diseased looking parts. Do you think that I could replace the legs on some of them with terminator legs? It looks like terminator arms fit with very little trouble, I'm just hoping that the legs are close in size and proportion as well. Any insights you could provide would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, you two! :)

@ mikhail: Those are some interesting questions that I've actually been thinking about quite a bit! By and large, Terminator bitz are a pretty good fit for the Blightkings: Termie arms fit without a hitch (even in those cases where you splice together an arm from different parts). Terminator pauldrons should also work really well (although I've found the Blightking shoulder pads more interesting so far, which is why I've mostly used them). It should also be possible to replace the Blightkings' lower legs with Chaos Terminator legs: If you carefully cut off the Blightking legs above the knee and swap in some Chaos Termie greaves, that might work pretty well. I won't do it on my own models, because I'm happy enough with them, plus the solution would be rather expensive, but the option is clearly there. Replacing the entire leg would be more complicated, due to the way the Blightking models are constructed.

As for making non-Nurglite models out of these, well: Two out of the five models come with fully/mostly armoured options that should be relatively easy to de-nurglify (see my second Plague Marine and the heavy bolter guy for reference. Jeff Vader's model here is also a good example.) These models do have some mutated parts or rusted armour, but it should be able to get rid of most of that. One further model (the icon bearer) is armoured but has a bare right leg and arm that would have to be replaced. And two of the models are so bloated and/or mutated that they could really only work as mutants if you don't want to use them as followers of Nurgle. So whether or not this kit is worth it for you really depends on how adventurous a converter you are.

Hope this helps! :)

They're looking great!

Each one is really unique and personalized, but they're visually very coherent as well.

Only thing that doesn't do it for me 100% is the zombie head on the heavy Bolter guy, but that'd mostly be down to personal preference.

KrautScientist, I really love the latest set of conversions you've done, they've been great, but the only thing that keeps picking at me is that they don't look as 40Kish as your previous stuff has done, and I think I finally settled on what it might be. There just don't seem to be any exposed power cables, and while I realize this is supposed to be heavily mutated power armor, it is such a hallmark of 40K that I guess I just expect to see some even on Chaos minis. Even the new Chosen from DV have the fleshy tubes where the power cables used to be. The other thing is the ribbed flexible joint armor and the leather boots feel too much visually like leather boots. I guess I would just like to see some more cabling run between the various armor plates, possibly with guitar wire, that would help it feel more "on" for 40K. However, as I don't even do conversions like these, I realize I don't know how much work or anything I'm really talking about.

So in closing, I really do love them, they have a nasty Nurgle menace vibe!

Nice work! I really like the banner, for reasons you've stated, and it fits in well with the work you've done. I'm with Flint, I'm not a huge fan of the zombie head, but I like how it evokes ye old Death Guard art. Can't wait to see 'em painted!

-Tarvick

Thanks for the positive feedback, people! As for the various suggestions:

1.) I see where you're coming from regarding the lack of cabling. This problem might not be all that easy to solve, because most of the armour plates fit together very closely, with little room for additions like that -- however, I'll take another look and maybe add another cable here and there.

2.) For the record: That head on the heavy is not a zombie head, but one of the bare heads that came with the Blightking kit: It's so wonderfully gross that I couldnt resist using it, and that particular model was a great fit, due to the gorget piece that would have made a helmeted head look pretty boxed in. Anyway, I think the face will look great when painted -- trust me! :)

Keep the feedback coming, guys and girls -- it's what keeps me going! :)

I that these look awesome and suitably Nurgle - and plague marines are a lot more forgiving than other (cult) marines when using WFB models as a base. I do agree with others about the cables and especially the leather boots, but I get that they would be hard to fix. DragonLover and Bryan Blaire both had good suggestions for the cables, plus MkIV plate, for example, has *very* exposed cabling. Flattened green stuff cable maker cables could maybe do the trick? 

In any case I love 'm, and I totally dig the bare head. Keep it up Kraut, I can't wait to see these painted. :tu: :D