That is looking awesome! Definitely looking forward to more of this contemptor.

I am at a loss for what head to use. I was wondering about the tartaros helmet but would that be too small too?

Now with the stripes it is looking better, Ahrimans head would work fine I guess, but maybe Kraut is right and you could use AoS chaos heads, some of the blood warriors ones would look great with the crest trimmed.

I looked at some of the blood bloody bloods and I found a helmet that I really like! That one:

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/XmgAAOSwtGlZA2~c/s-l1600.jpg

Thank you for the hint!

I have an unpainted old metal dread and instant mold. I'll try to dig it out tonight but it may be buried behind the stuff I've been bringing back to the house from storage (a mountain of boxes) will see what can be done.

If you find it I'd gladly take a GS cast! Take your time :wink:

That is looking awesome! Definitely looking forward to more of this contemptor.

I am at a loss for what head to use. I was wondering about the tartaros helmet but would that be too small too?

Thank you! I don' really like the look of the tartaros helmets. I will try some of the FW TS heads (achean, etc) and some others like the one Traitor suggested.

As I mentioned above somewhere my main inspiration is the old metal aspiring sorcerer from the old upgrade kit. Ideally I get a similar looking helmet.

20120927-082134.jpg

Edited by Aasfresser

First press molded GS added. The scarab and the wings are just a premature mock up, I have to do new more crisp ones and combine them somehow with GS. The legs can be positioned differently at the hip, depending on the end pose.

gallery_76164_9665_8043.jpg

gallery_76164_9665_49379.jpg

Some bits should arrive today, lets see which ones will end on the dread :)

The Contemptor seems to be coming along swimmingly! Really like the press-molded detail (although I would also like to see at least a mockup with the Magnus breastplate).

The "axle" for the legs seems a bit long, throwing off the proportions of the lower body a bit, although I suspect that's only a mockup anyway?!

As for the head, at this point I think you should probably just go with a Thousand Sons head -- a Scarab Occult head should work really well. It's probably preferrable to have something with a slightly TS/Tzeentchian design over something less interesting that just happens to be the exact right size. The only readily available alternative that comes to mind would be one of the Helbrute heads. Here's the one I think might work.

Anyway, looking forward to the next update! :smile.:

EDIT: One more idea: This may seemingly come a bit out of the left field, but have you considered a cut-down Custodian head?

Edited by KrautScientist

DO IT.

The Contemptor seems to be coming along swimmingly! Really like the press-molded detail (although I would also like to see at least a mockup with the Magnus breastplate).

The "axle" for the legs seems a bit long, throwing off the proportions of the lower body a bit, although I suspect that's only a mockup anyway?!

As for the head, at this point I think you should probably just go with a Thousand Sons head -- a Scarab Occult head should work really well. It's probably preferrable to have something with a slightly TS/Tzeentchian design over something less interesting that just happens to be the exact right size. The only readily available alternative that comes to mind would be one of the Helbrute heads. Here's the one I think might work.

Anyway, looking forward to the next update! :smile.:

Thank you Kraut. Yes, the axle is only a mock up. I looked at the FW contemptors and their axle is a bit longer than the GW contemptors one. By direkt comparison I find the postioning of the legs, the to short axle and the bulbous head to be the most offending bits on the GW contemptor. As for the head, yes, now that I have one of those SO helmets here I see no other need to look further. Its perfect. It still needs some fitting and cabling though.

The Magnus plate was unfortunately glued together with plastic glue and primed. I'll have to cut away the whole lower part and dremel the heck out of some of the inner areas to get it into a nicely fitting piece (red marked). I'm just hesitating because that chest piece is so nice and somehow cutting away so much of it just doesn't feel right but it would look so schei

Yes, agreed: The Scarab Occult head works so well it's uncanny!

As for the breastplate: Interesting. The detailing on it is obviously top notch, but it could become one of those elements that threaten to overpower the rest of the model. I do think you might need to lose (or shorten) the nipple horns: While I kinda like them on Magus, seeing how they have been a part of his artwork for such a long time, they seem a bit overwhelming here, plus they would also seriously limit the Contemptor's movement, it seems.

(...) it would look so scheiße if I leave Magnus metal abs on that dread.

Ohh, I see what you did there ;) You're right, though: If you want to keep the breastplate, you need to lose the abs.

Edited by KrautScientist

Yes, agreed: The Scarab Occult head works so well it's uncanny!

As for the breastplate: Interesting. The detailing on it is obviously top notch, but it could become one of those elements that threaten to overpower the rest of the model. I do think you might need to lose (or shorten) the nipple horns: While I kinda like them on Magus, seeing how they have been a part of his artwork for such a long time, they seem a bit overwhelming here, plus they would also seriously limit the Contemptor's movement, it seems.

This is what I fear, too. But looking at a mockup of the whole dread with weapons and the legs I think its ok. Especially because there is some more bulck and detail coming to the midsection and the shoulders and weapons. But the horns could be to redundant, considering, Maggie is still waiting to be assembled and painted. It will be hard to replace them nicely, but The Traitor for example did an astonishing job with that. I'm really undecided.

med_gallery_76164_9665_57602.jpgmed_gallery_76164_9665_45135.jpg

Yeah, actually I was going to suggest something pretty much like what Traitor did with the horns: Still think they are too big and clunky, but I am of course willing to reserve final judgement until I see what else you have planned for the Contemptor's body.

I will remove them. After staring at the dread for a while, I remembered what I still had planned for the head crest. I will cover the empty spots the horns will leave with something like a scarab or something I can easily sculpt or press mold. In the end, like with the old TS aspiring sorcerer, two bands with stripes will go down from the sides of the head crest and hopefully will cover my awefull sculpts. But first I'll stripe the patchy priming.

Always worth trying to shorten them like Kraut says, if you dont like it cut them off :) 

I also recon it will not look so bulky if you change the pose slightly, make it so he is twisting at the waste in the direction he is looking. I really wish they had made the contemptor legs in seperate parts to make it easier to repose. I think they look to static at times. 

Well, I must say that I like it better with the press molded parts, Magnus plate gives him way too much bulk in my opinion and the horns are too big for him, weather you change their position or not.

However the concept is good, so maybe you could try searching for some smaller horns to fit the model better? Or even make them yourself with GS? I really like the press molded bits you made, you should keep that aesthetic.

Hmm, hmm...have you thought about outright replacing the dreads front with Magnus' plate? That would solve the problem with too much bulkiness and if you leave the upper part of the collar it seems to be a pretty good fit. Other than that it's a great start, love the press-molded details.

Hmm, hmm...have you thought about outright replacing the dreads front with Magnus' plate? That would solve the problem with too much bulkiness and if you leave the upper part of the collar it seems to be a pretty good fit. Other than that it's a great start, love the press-molded details.

I was thinking about this too, is it possible to give it a try at least without ruining the front too much?

I'm sad that the horns will be gone. Even though I thought they are too big and needed trimming, I like the TS aesthetic of them. But wait - perhaps you could add the hrns from the Chaos Chariot?  They are much shorter and go up - which would look great, I think. It wouldn't be a huge hassle to integrate them into the empty horn sockets with some greenstuff. 

12-chaoschariot%20(20).JPG

Hmm, if you're cutting the off anyhow, why not try shortening them? You wouldn't lose anything, and chances are, it'll end up working much better.

I cut them off, because I heve new plans for those exact horns :wink: And I think trimming them would have destroyed all the nice details on those horns.

Always worth trying to shorten them like Kraut says, if you dont like it cut them off :smile.:

I also recon it will not look so bulky if you change the pose slightly, make it so he is twisting at the waste in the direction he is looking. I really wish they had made the contemptor legs in seperate parts to make it easier to repose. I think they look to static at times.

Those legs are terrible, not the legs per se, but their pose. Unfortunately I don't have a thin sharp saw, otherwise I'd cut them at the joints and make them reposable.

Well, I must say that I like it better with the press molded parts, Magnus plate gives him way too much bulk in my opinion and the horns are too big for him, weather you change their position or not.

However the concept is good, so maybe you could try searching for some smaller horns to fit the model better? Or even make them yourself with GS? I really like the press molded bits you made, you should keep that aesthetic.

Then let me show you something (pic below). I think after some dremeling and without the horns it looks quite fitting. The press molded parts were a bit to "blurry" and I didn't know how to exactly combine them. I thin I go with Augustus suggested horns, they look fitting.

I have to second the press moulded details on this one, the Magnus centre sticks out to far even with the horns gone or shortened I think it swamps him and the mock up of the press moulds looked like a solid idea.

After some more dremeling I think it fits very nicely.

I was thinking about this too, is it possible to give it a try at least without ruining the front too much?

I thought about that, but I'm to coutious/anxious. I tried to dremel a bit of the collar away and now it fits better, I think.

I'm sad that the horns will be gone. Even though I thought they are too big and needed trimming, I like the TS aesthetic of them. But wait - perhaps you could add the hrns from the Chaos Chariot? They are much shorter and go up - which would look great, I think. It wouldn't be a huge hassle to integrate them into the empty horn sockets with some greenstuff.

I really like the idea. Hm... I have to search for more useful bits, so shipping for those horns won't cost so much.

And here he is, mocked up and blue tacked. I think I'll head Isengrins advice and dremel some more, very carefully.

med_gallery_76164_9665_73623.jpgmed_gallery_76164_9665_65428.jpg

Edited by Aasfresser

I like it! I think the breastplate works really well now, and the added bulk really shouldn't be too much of a problem, as long as you add some decoration to the rest of the model as well.

I don't want to get your hopes up for nothing, but maybe I have those horns Augustus linked...will have a look once I am back home tonight: If I still have them, they are yours, if you want them.

Looking at the side shot you have a breastplate over a breastplate which is what makes it look off and over burdens the orrigional frame.

The front shoot looks great so beading it in further would be an improvement.

Edited by Mechanist

I like it! I think the breastplate works really well now, and the added bulk really shouldn't be too much of a problem, as long as you add some decoration to the rest of the model as well.

I don't want to get your hopes up for nothing, but maybe I have those horns Augustus linked...will have a look once I am back home tonight: If I still have them, they are yours, if you want them.

I'd gladly take it!

Looking at the side shot you have a breastplate over a breastplate which is what makes it look off and over burdens the orrigional frame.

The front shoot looks great so beading it in further would be an improvement.

Let me dremel some more and wait for the shoulders to be finished. I promise, it won't look overburdened. 

Well, it actually looks better than I expected, but I agree with Mechanist. However I guess it'll be perfect once you dremel enough.

Trust me, the only thing I can do by now is TS and tzeentch :P

This is starting to look very, very promising, especially with how well you've painted the infantry and Magnus.  I saw your conversion on the Natka site and was very impressed. :smile.:

Thank you! But I never painted my Magnus so far, and my last Natfka update is about a year old. Could it be you mistake me for the The Traitor?^