The Shattered Heart Warband. Make it louder.

BrotherJim

Brother Jim this force is truly amazing. Your Plague Force is visually stunning in terms of both conversions and paint job. I also like the way Valerian (sp?) is going with those arms. It makes an Iron Warrior happy biggrin.png .

Very nice work though, I enjoy seeing your conversion work a lot thumbsup.gif . Keep up the good work for the Long War.

Cheers Beachymike123, you are a legend, I'll keep churning out Chaos Marines if you keep watching. After the Virulent Malador I feel like I have levelled up. It's important to me to finish the Black Legion, and repair the paint work I have done so far, but I'm not ready to do that yet. I've realised I still have a whole bunch of bits, and I also have 8 heavy bolter back packs. So I'm probably going to crank out another CSM box and fill some gaps.

My coolest idea I think is to build a heavy duty Black Legion bolter squad. All bolters, all the time. But they will have the chosen back pack conversion. I'll also convert all the guns, perhaps like those wicked twin barrels the AL head hunters have. I also want to do my flying raptors Squad, and maybe some more characters. So that's two boxes. I really want more back packs, but I really don't want to let the 5th edition space wolves in the house, and the long fangs box seems like the only place to find the old dev packs. Aside from eBay, which seems too expensive seeing as I only want the back pack. Plus postage to Aus is absolutely killer.

Two boxes should help me consume what's left in the house, but this weekend I want to address the Black Legion transports. And by address I mean: I'm going to post photos and complain about the situation. Haha.

Anyway anyway I'm getting ahead of myself. I started a thread on ammobunker and I think it will just be easier to it here, most of the words were due to go here anyway.

Cheers Radu Lykan! Yes no matter where I go or what I do, it's just an excuse to post my original Space Wolves army http://z1.ifrm.com/static/emo/7.png the Phil Kelly 5th edition codex was awesome. Growing up a friend of mine collected Space Wolves and he had the 2nd (?) edition codex, they were happy times though I was 9. We had two sets of Necromunda and 2nd edition, Jacob seemed to own just about everything and I was content to own and collect my humble Orlock gang.

So when I got started as an adult it seemed natural to start with Space Wolves. Once I began building and converting, I realised I had made a mistake. What had really seeped into my subconscious from all those years collecting White Dwarf, and many years later, from reading the B&C, was Chaos Space Marines. Particularly the Black Legion. There wasn't a white dwarf of old that didn't have the black legion in it. It just took me awhile to realise that I'm the bad guy http://z1.ifrm.com/static/emo/1.png

Chaos Space Marines seem to encompass everything that is cool about the GrimDark setting in one hit. You don't need a whole army, you just need that one dude, to carry the weight of it all and get that point across. For me, Space Wolves, or vanilla space marines just didn't cut it. There is no hope, no respite, only war.

Fortunately for me the chaos space marine kit seems to have it all. Except the heavy back pack, I have made extensive use of the devastater backpack. Anyway getting myself back on track, I thought I would show the old conversions against some of the new. It was nesseary to completely un-build the old Space Wolves army. I had collected all the classic miniatures, and I didn't like the new direction GW was taking with the Thunderwolves release, the army had run its course. I had learned a lot about the hobby and knew exactly what I wanted to do.

First up is my all time favourite conversion. He is my orginal Wolf Lord, except I did a power armour grey hunter rendition of him. I am basically just building the same character over and over again, but with the Black Legion and the Plague Marines, I think I've finally found my niche.

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/IMG_0664_zps6c4eeab4.jpg

The original, and still the best.

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/0785B3B9-99E3-427D-A599-3F09E057F077_zpsckuyj24p.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/F707E8DC-BE23-4602-95B4-1BF87151B013_zpsg1agdk42.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Thanks Uveron! I'm sorry I missed your earlier comment, that was a good one, I'd like to frame it and put it on my wall :D

I'm super pumped to puzzle out how to best make use of the remaining backpacks I have. I'm debating whether or not to do it all again. The 5 chosen really bother me I wish I had gone with true plasma gunners. I was going to do duel pistols but went with the newer chainswords from the raptors as there are a step above the regular ones.

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/FC8DDE1A-1CEF-4373-9F75-B9AFE44466F3_zpsaopix88z.jpg

I built them purely for aesthetics, but now that I'm thinking about gaming they just feel like wasted bodies. A missed opportunity. I've sworn an oath not to tamper with anything I've finished, so I guess I'll just make more :D

I got a hot tinder date so if you guys never here from me again, it either went really well, or really badly!

Peace

Well my hot date turned out to be kinda dull and depressing. Always worth a spin though, plus I discovered a new Vietnamese place :D

Getting back on with the show, I am gearing myself up to contribute more to the ETL. I'm really just waiting to get paid so I can grab some chaos black, plus I need to check the points on the units.

I'll keep going with the SW's thing, the army is dead now and all I have are the photos. Plus it's interesting to see the progression in my ideas I think.

That's a pretty kewl idea with the bretonnian Knights and Knights household cross over. Makes me think of horse mounted skittari which reminds me of that old cartoon Galaxy Rangers. Which is only a heartbeat away from M.A.S.K and Dinobots. Pop culture has gotten around to ruining those classics yet like it did with Transformers and G.I-JOE. I grew up on breakfast cartoons in the 90's and the GrimDark was there right alongside it. They were the days.

Coming back to the Wolf Lord. There was a TDA version, but the real hero was the Biker Lord. I haven't built a biker lord yet for the Black Legion, I'm thinking I might go with the plague marines instead. Either way the conversion will be almost exactly the same. I love to see how much of those original conversions I was able to cram into my first BL Lord. When working on the Space Wolves my mind was aflame with all the things I would/could rather be doing with Chaos.

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/IMG_0648_zps0f040c4a.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/IMG_06442_zpsc5774904.jpg

I haven't looked at the pictures for awhile. I no longer have these miniatures. He's got the power-fist/lightingclaw combo (wolf claw). I envisioned him tearing up the battlefield on his bike, ripping his enemies clean in half and snatching away their heads. Which fed into the taking and mounting of trophies, and wearing of face plates. It's difficult to see but he has a chaos helm in his hand. It became such a great bit to jump around and mount in different places. It became the bases for so many conversions, some we have seen and others we will see. I've used just the faceplate as shoulder pads, mounted the horns on back packs, used helms as faceplates (the berserkers) used helms as trophies racks. All out of this one idea, the one character.

So many little tricks I didn't even realise, it's cool to be able to trace them all back to this guy.

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/IMG_0679_zpsf0eee3a4.jpg

It's cool to see your Space Wolves, especially since the seeds for many of your chaotic conversions are already evident in those models. Which, in my opinion, begs the question: Have you maybe considered building and painting a small - possibly Khornate - detachment of Traitor Wolves? Hear me out on this:

• the two SW characters you posted have a very sinister feel to them, and it would be really interesting to see that explored further. This would also be a nice way of benefiting from the history and experiences from your old army
  • Khornate Wolves are a natural fit, really ;)
  • a colour scheme based on the standard SW scheme (but with a few suitably chaotic twists) would be ideal for honing your painting even further: Right now, the main problem I see with you Black Legion is that, in order to substantially improve the paintjobs, you will need to find a way to make that black armour look more exciting. You already stated that edge highlighting isn't something you are particularly fond of. So maybe a different colour scheme will energise your painting just as the Nurglite stuff has, and you'll also learn a thing or two while working on the models.
  • a small group of Traitor Wolves can easily be allied with your BL force in a believable way.

Anyway, just a couple of thoughts. On a very self-centered note, whatever you do, remember that one Khornate model you wanted to build, alright? I am rather looking forward to that, for fairly obvious reasons ;)

@ Krauty - haha thanks Krautster as always I love your input! You're articulating exactly the situation as I see it! Personally for me, I don't think I could ever see Wolves going Traitor, which is a real shame because Chaos Wolves is such a great idea, and really works so well! I just get that one bit of fluff stuck in my head, and I cannot go against it.

But I COULD make a renegade element from the space wolves kit, and call them the "Dogs of War", or "Warhounds," or something similar. Semantics I know, but that's just how I look at it. These guys were 13th Company, which I think is the coolest idea, SW deep behind enemy lines, scavaging armour and gear, a fast moving strike force.

I still have the old white dwarfs for the 3rd War for Armageddon I think when then were introduced. (I'll show more photos or maybe start a hall of honour thread for them.)

The real question is what colour would I paint them? I've already gone with Black for my bezerkers, and as much as I like it, it really doesn't leave me much room to play around with colour. As you mentioned I need something new and fresh to paint to keep me energised. I don't think I could bring myself to try painting a RED khornate force. Red and I don't really get along, (I tried blood angels once) plus there is a really large and awesome red Khornate force which frequents these parts, and features traitor wolves already, which goes way beyond anything I could ever hope to achieve. So it just seems beyond me, to even comprehend at this point.

But I really would like to build a khornate detachment from the SW plastics, just swapping all the wolf axe heads for chain axes works so well, as I've done already.

I could paint them black and I think that would work really well, Black Wolves, devoted to Khorne. But as we discussed black doesn't leave much freedom for experimentation.

Your absolutely right of course! We just need to keep turning it over until I find a solution that works for me. I'm absolutely in love with this grey that the wolves are above, its Tamiya ts-66 in a can, xf-75 I think in the pot. Years of colour matching only ever brought me back to Codex Grey. Or basalt grey in the in the Vallejo range.

Further to your idea I was just thinking I cannot really bring myself to paint more Black Legion Troops. It just seems null and void. However I really want to build more chaos space marines from the chaos kit.

Hmm so I really need some fast attack, I want them to be from the chaos kit, and I want to paint a new colour, that's not red.... Hello Night Lords. I think Night Lords would really fit the bill for me at this stage. I could do a ten man troops squad, 5 chosen, 5 raptors and maybe some characters. Maybe just grab the VC kit for kitbashing along with what's left in the house. I think that could work really well to solve all my problems. I wouldn't try to do anything too special, just a humble little force for fun and flavour. And the Night Lords scheme really is the sexiest.

My next thought is to do Alpha Legion. I've never liked the look of chaos alpha legion though, and I've always thought it would be cool to make a whole force of them from MK7. Build them up completely to look like Ultras, scopes, pouches, knives etc and just paint a really simple XX on the left pad. At a passing glance they would like like any regular joe space marine force, only when you lean in close to things start to become apparent. I could paint them blue and line edge in green. I think it would be a good project to build some confidence with line edging.

As it stands I will probably attack the renegades I do have and push some colour around on them. I also want to address the vehicles and bits and pieces I still have left. Which I'll talk about on the weekend.

I'm thinking I might buy another demon prince and keep him straight from the box so I can begin painting him asap. I just really want something fresh and organic to paint, but I still want it to it in to my current quest, so it's tricky.

Lastly I haven't forgotten about your gift! I just decided to use some special pieces I had to order from the UK, so it can take up to 3 weeks for postage to arrive here down under. Sorry about the wait matey! I was intending to use some legs I have here, but I felt that they didn't do the sentiment justice. To really convey my gratitude I have to go beyond what I have done already, otherwise he'll just come off as a cheap knock off version, which isn't what I want at all!

Sorry for the extremely lengthy ramble, I've been typing it up on the train and at work!

Speak to you soon

Guardian31- thanks for the comment matey!

I am sorry doods, you both make a very convincing case, but I already thought this through at the start of the project. There are lots of reasons, some I've mentioned already. Strangely enough my excuses lend me down rabbit holes, like the Age of Sigmar crisis. If I were going to do a Khorne force, I would need to incorporate some of the AOS range. I feel those miniatures are just too nice, and too expensive for me to tamper with. It's sad for me, but I feel like I am slowly being priced out of the hobby. Particularly here in Australia, we have it bad. For instance right now I'd really like to paint something fresh and exciting, and I love the GW boxes, the new Silver Tower is particularly special. However here down under that box is $265. It's just too much to spend on a painting whim. And the miniatures are so fantastic and hyper detailed, I really don't feel I could do them justice, they would just crush me.

So I know it seems a bit strange but that's one of the factors, the minis I want to use are too expensive. Perhaps when the new chaos space marine kit comes out, that might mesh well with the AOS range. Right now I would rather just start a BloodBound Warband and focus on painting, with zero conversions. Which isn't my style at all.

As mentioned kitbashing the SW range with the Bersekers would work really well, but I'm too attached to my old space wolves grey. Plus I'm still kinda keen on the idea of collecting the space wolves range and painting it black.

I've really got a lot of work to do here that I'm exciting about already, but it's always nice to throw ideas around, and I do value everybody's feedback. I am intending to finish the black legion transports (somehow) I may dedicate the other tanks I have to the plague marines, and I still have the renegades and cultist too. Really excited about finishing the demonic element of my black legion, and well as the demon prince. Just quietly the parts have arrived for krautys gift, so I have begun the conversion and he's looking tops so far. I hope Krautster doesn't mind but I am intending to paint him black.

I just wanted to smash through the rest of the space wolves conversions, I am going to be ripping them off a lot when it comes to my plague bikers and I few other things.

Well I think it's pretty obvious to see the overlap between my old Biker Lord, and my new and current Black Legion Lord and Berzerker Lord. I really couldn't decide between the two, so I just went with both in the end. http://z1.ifrm.com/static/emo/1.png If ever I get around to writing up some fluff one of the main themes will be the power struggle between these two characters. The way they challenge each other and keep each other on their toes. The greatest of rivals. When I did martial arts I always felt this way about my training buddies. I didn't like them or not like them, they weren't my friends. They were my rivals. Doing martial arts alone, you can't do anything really. You need a sparring partner. I was grateful to my training partners for being there, and for being better than me, I strove to be like them, I admired them, and I hated them. It was all very complex and for me speaks to the roots of brotherhood and the warrior code. Anyway I don't train anymore but I'm starting to think I should. I'm getting older and I'm getting slower, I need something to help keep me sharp.

Wow got really distracted there http://z1.ifrm.com/static/emo/1.png I'm looking forward to writing stories a lot actually, though it will be embarrassing as heck.

Next up I wanted to show the terminators. The catch here is that I haven't yet tried to emulate the conversions for my Black Legion. This is a really tricky knot. I'm not sure if I want to convert the Black Legion termies at all. They are so iconic and I've never actually owned them before. Further more I just don't know how I will top my old space wolves termies. It took five guns to make one of their guns. I went completely over the top with my chaos helm/face/plate trophies conversion idea. I had so many great ideas I really couldn't fit them all in. Terminators have a lot of potential for converting. I'm hoping if I post the two pictures next to one another that will help me decide. Plus it's really nice looking at the old photos next to the new. 

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/IMG_0669_zpsa36c5396.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/IMG_0674_zps2e36586b.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/IMG_0668_zps44c69922.jpg

Once I began converting like this I knew the project had died. I had moved on in my heart, the glory of Chaos was calling to me. There is so much potential with chaos. I'm really looking forward to building my plague bikers off the back of these conversions. It's another tricky knot. I really want the space marine bikes, but with the chaos riders, and maybe even the DA kit as well. But as a squad they would all need to be unified, so I would need a few boxes of each. If I'm spending that kind of money than I may as well look at the Legion Outriders kit. But I like the old skool vibe my Plague marines have and want to remain true to the all plastic theme. Seeing as I always do extensive conversion anyways, it might just be easier to convert the CSM kit for my riders.... Hmm... That's a lot of work though... Guess that's why they call it The Long War.

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/C5C38C39-75A4-49DF-A636-7AB701552F30_zpswvmkm2i9.jpg

Ok ok I'm sure you guys are sick to death of hearing from me by now. But I can't stop honestly I have a problem. :)

My favourite part about converting miniatures is the blu-tac stage. Finishing miniatures is one thing, but having them alive on your desk and generating ideas for you is so much fun. Normally I cannot cram all of my ideas into one miniature, so this generates an overflow.

At this time I would like to announce that I have built the gift I made for Mr KrautScientist. It's not finished yet, it's only in the blu-tac stage, but this for me is the most fun. I have been jumping around different ideas and combinations, I have built up a few spare weapons.

I thought I would just post the pictures now as this is the real climax. As it stands I will finish the miniature just as it is and paint it in my Black Legion scheme. But I just had the idea that maybe Krauty would like to paint it himself?

Either way I'm really stoked with the miniature and I'm sure he will be too. This is the absolute pinnicle of my orginal idea. He can't exist in my army as he is too much like the other two already, and I want to use the same idea for my biker lord. With my Black Legion Lord Ripper fellow, he has the fully converted chaos armour, plus he has the terminator power claw conversion, so technically he is superior to this new guy.

However the new guy is really slick, he's like a younger, fresher version of Lord Ripper. And he is Highly repeatable. I knew if I did this conversion I would get drawn into wanting to use MKV for all of my beserkers, which is another cash sink.

Anyway all in all let's hope the photos live up to all the words. I'm really happy with the conversion. It was really nice to get back to my grassroots hobby, and to be building something for a friend, is a rare treat. It was a great opportunity for me to get this guy out of my system, and to repay Krauty for all of his invaluable input.

So let me know if you want it painted or if I should just send you him like this with a bag full of bits and you can finish him yourself.

And so it begins

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/E6D0B408-2440-42AC-A152-C7F15A01AB50_zpsbnwz3xsz.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/E5C82F37-35C3-41C7-8DF6-640BF000DDD5_zpsijg7rzzi.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/0C84A519-3CDF-4DDA-ACDB-48A24E84A20A_zpsdzmhz1sb.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/870D90EB-5D7E-4088-B247-8230BA16B948_zpsdvimkevv.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/5DCD3B72-69D7-419C-9314-7DE2790556A1_zpsnmbjipwu.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/E4EDE1F8-D8BC-475E-B01E-E4964568C493_zpsd0wj3glw.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/0C87307B-FE62-47A9-86C6-574F9D3734AE_zpsc4ecy9bp.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/C83C2FCE-05EE-494E-B325-1D9808F673F0_zpsbvikrz8a.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/E5DBF80B-8365-4F9F-8F4B-18DB3C9DE0C0_zpsljlw5rgn.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/8BAFFAD3-FD2D-4FA9-8073-B7C6E7683B49_zpsnaufedor.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/5E9DBEE6-9CC6-499E-A5E3-5A4E2DC1A03B_zpsfphr2k0i.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/8C95AAA4-E039-4D98-89C7-4AAFB70A1BCC_zpsxb1luzir.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/30CF59C3-265B-4772-B4EA-EDB305BE4DE6_zpsaigziuvv.jpg

I really just wanted this guy to be loaded with weapons. He's got a bolter, chainaxe, plasma pistol, powerfist lightingclaw. I realise it's not legal but as a warrior I don't think he would be letting a good weapon go. I also see it as a sign of rank, that he has made his way through all the ranks up to Lord. I'm really happy with the way these conversions all keep coming together. Opening up the legs and using the dev backpacks really provides so much more room to hang all those cool bits.

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/45415517-DEC1-45BE-8E3A-B77E24A91B5D_zps7ivzxz91.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/E5FCA346-495C-43C7-8C8B-7734A7CE1661_zpsyma78yxd.jpg

Getting back to more my own style

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/37B0F0B8-C468-4C81-97FE-29775FFEAA25_zpsnxlc46dc.jpg

Whoa, where to start...?!

Even though it's hard to resist jumping straight to the new guy (drool), let's put that off for a second yet, as I'd like to add two or three final thoughts on the whole SW idea:

While I think your Alpha Legion idea sounds interesting, it also seems like a very different project - almost like a loyalist army, based on what you described - and I think it would have to be planned far differently from any outright chaotic army. Anyway, cool idea, but the other stuff just seems a tad more promising to me right now:

You must realise that those SW Terminators of yours are just some different shoulder pads and a few spikes away from true Chaos Terminators. Just sayin', in case you ever think about reactivating those models for one of your new armies. The second guy from the top, in particular, just oozes menace.

Speaking of the Chaos Wolves idea, look: I feel your pain about the AoS Khorne models, but I also think it's totally possible to come up with excellent Khornate wolves without those bitz. In fact, I think traitor wolves are arguably more interesting when they are not as completely red and brass Khornate as World Eaters. That being said, the idea mentioned above of going for a predominantly brass-based paintjob sound interesting. Plus it would also teach you how to make metallics look suitably interesting, and that - in turn, could become very useful for your Black Legion. If, on the other hand, you are that much in love with grey for Space Wolves, let me just mention that it's fairly easy to convert a standard SW paint scheme into something suitably Khornate. Case in point:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/5/5/798033-Blood%20Wolves%2C%20Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Lord%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Joras%20Turnpelt.jpg

Anyway, what I am saying here is that there's no harm in knocking around ideas for a little bit and see where they land.

Aaanyway, now for the important part: Mate, that Khornate Marine is crazy good! I was actually hoping for something along those lines, with the extended legs and dramatic posing and everything. I love the stash of weapons on his back!

Now I will say that the one thing I am not perfectly sold on yet is the head -- I literally spend ages obsessing about which heads to use on my own models, while I also attempt not to repeat the same designs too often across the army. Apart from that, however, he is absolutely brilliant -- oh, and I would just love to paint him myself, if it's all the same to you, to make sure he fits in with the rest of my force. Plus I can already imagine him looking mighty fine in red and brass ;)

Anyway, fantastic stuff, mate -- as usual! ;)

I totally get the cost thing. The one thing that has helped me out is eBay. You might try looking on there for the particular models or bits that catch your fancy from AoS. I got the Khorne side of the AoS starter box on the cheap thanks to eBay so I think it would be worth looking into. Also I haven't really commented on your models and I have to say they look amazing. The conversions are great and the paint jobs really add to that. I think so far the guy with the Bionic hand is my favorite but you have a lot of awesome looking models and ideas. 

You could simply make the Wolf units part of the Black Legion proper. If I remember the fluff correctly, Abaddon's kept the policy of letting anyone in who'll dedicate themselves to the Long War, and they could represent that nicely.

Would that help your issues with the look?

@ khorne's salesman - woah you guys are really gunning hard for these Khorne wolves from me! I am sorry but it's just not for me. Krauty I no longer have those miniatures, and as you say they are only a heartbeat away from being Khorne wolves anyway, (that's largely why I showed them!) so I wouldn't have to do them again at all! I've been down that road before, and I'll never take a backwards step! Further with the AOS range, and even ForgeWorld, I didn't grow up coveting those miniatures. They are relatively new miniatures. As I as said I decided early on to rule out Khorne as a patron God (he has enough followers already!) I went with Undivided and I would like to explore all themes to some degree.

Moving away from patron gods and back to the miniatures, my original plan still stands, just to build up squads and squads of themed chaos marines, and at the last minute, pull the old switch-a-roo and paint them black.

I'm not sure how I'm going to continue to improve my painting if I do this, but Khorne wolves are not the answer. I am sorry it's really my fault for bringing the whole thing up, but I wanted to show how krautys miniature fit in to the whole picture.

@ Krauty - yes your right of course! I'm using the same head over and over because it's the same dude! I always like to change something though. First he had a topknot, then a mo-hawk pony tail, this time I thought I might try longish open hair. Kinda like predator dreadlocks style.

Heal so need some area of sculpted GS in order to elevate the conversion up a notch.

But I thought you might like to choose you own head and finish the miniature yourself. That's great news, I will just fill some gaps and finalise some things and I will move on to working on something else. I might prime him, but I always use black, so it's better if I don't. I will contact you through the week about it.

After seeing the success of my plague force, I've decided it's going to be worth looking into finishing my Black Legion Transports. Once I can build and finish up a rhino I'll be really happy. At the moment the press mold solution works well for the plague rhinos, but I don't think it will float for the Black Legion. But I really don't want my solution to be "spend more money" I would like it to be something a bit more creative. Not too creative though, I am extremely lazy too, so that's a factor.

Anyway I'm going to grab some plastic card and plastic tube and see what can be done. It won't be this week or next week, but I think I might tear apart some of my old rhinos and attempt to make some plague command shrine field ambulance type deal. Going to have to go have a dig through SKDFZ's thread to put me in the mood.

At the very least I would like to try for some extra armour they way Jamie does with his Iron Warriors. I'm actually reading Angel Exterminatis atm...

Anyway envitably the thread will have to slow down now. I've been making quite the shopping list, I honestly feel all I need to do will be to finish the Black Legion transports, some bikes, and some spawn. All future armies I make will be cheesy and fun. Cheesy in that 80's cartoons way, not in the tabletop dick cheese way.

Most of my best work is behind me, I think that's what I'm trying to say... I really had to kill the wolves in order so that I could make this army, and it's perfect now so I just need to finish it up proper. To be quite honest I don't think I'll be doing much more expansion/collecting.

Im going to review what's left in the house, lay down some plans, hopefully I can squeeze some more of it into the ETL....

Am I Khorne's salesman? Cool. I was more just giving the example to let you know eBay can be your friend for many cool bits and minis. :) I may have missed it but have you done some noise marines? They can give you lots of modeling and painting opportunities.

@ guardian 31 - thanks for the comment mate, sorry if it seemed to get swept up in my dissmissal of the KW idea. One goal I had with the thread was that I wanted to convey just how easy and fun it is to convert chaos space marines.

I've actually been thinking a lot about tzeentch actually...

Sorry man you got in before I got to make my apology! I wasn't directing that comment specifically at you at all, please don't read it that way. That was an all-inclusive dismissal of the KWs idea, just for myself in general.

I'm the king of eBay bro! The new guy is testament to that fact, he was pulled together from left overs and eBay bits, that's why I'm so chuffed with him. Sorry again I really should wait until I've had my morning coffee before I make my replies!

That's the whole essence of the hobby for me, when we were kids white dwarf would have us running off to the recycling bin and gathering up cereal boxes and empty cans and what not for building terrain. I loved those old DIY articles the most.

@ bluntblade - you got it mate but wolves don't go traitor and don't have succesors, so I would need to imagine they are some other feral chapter with a perchant for canines.

Okie dokie well I've finished Krauty's conversion. Just need to fill the last gap around his waist, and fit the shoulder pad.

Really happy I finally managed to fit all of his weapons, it's good that I'm giving him away, I'll have to build another one now. One thing I really like is that he could be just about anybody at this stage. id like to use the different helms to represent different Marks.

its good that I'm not going to paint him, otherwise I would become to attached to him. And it will be really fantastic to see what Krautscientist can do with him. Perhaps he'll wake me up to a recently dissmissed idea.

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/63BA58BA-4C48-46C6-8DDC-387056AEDD5E_zpsgfao2x3z.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/E652B733-6944-4A48-90C1-B33B6C14EBBB_zpstwspokln.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/D3AE6828-2551-42CA-AE26-FDB2D5A84235_zps9y6zoo4v.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/B880F319-039F-4693-A125-EAC0C2C80258_zpsjbhj9zos.jpg

Phew ok that's it that's the final version.

One thing I wanted to make note of, since starting the thread, my internet addiction has gone through the roof! Coupled with my hobby it can become quite a potent elixir, I think that's why I keep getting carried away. So I really need to keep that in check, which is probably why k won't be contributing more to the ETL, I've decided. I think.

Anyway I am sorry for the torrential amount of updating I have been doing, it was nessessary to show the SW before Kratutys conversion, and it was nessessary to finish the conversion before I could move on.

I said I would finish the plague marines, finish krautys gift, and then return to the Black Legion.

Ladies and Gentleman this is a Red Alert! All hands to battlestations! We have incoming! Brace for impact! The Black Legion are back on the work desk! The Black Legion are back on the work desk!

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/678E7D1A-1496-40F7-BDBA-C257D156AF91_zpsnvncjnja.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/7FB268A1-7D63-4788-A9A5-0455CD0AA4F1_zpsno8dhtik.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/D87DB6F2-F121-4100-98B4-EC57ABE0BB33_zpskkwaeoal.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/BA666CBB-C3B1-43A3-A6F1-D76C91DBCA82_zpsp38z4frk.jpg

WE HAVE RETURNED!

(Again sorry for always rushing and being a dick, that's just who I am.)

Hey man, I took no offense to what you posted at all, I thought it was funny :). I'm glad you eBay too, took me a while to get into it and since I have I've found some real cool out of print minis and other nice bits. Different helms for different marks is a great idea, one of,these days I'll catch the magnet bug to do those kind of things. Anyway love the army shot, can't wait to see these guys finished. Maybe a renegade knight in your future? Like not right away but maybe in the future?

Thanks man I'm glad. I hope Krauty isn't upset at me too.

Let's just say that if I were to do Khorne/Wolves/Bezerkers or to pull from any of those themes at all, I would end up with an army of miniatures exactly like the one I have built for Krauty. He's the best really. An army of these heroes would look stellar.

Anyway there was a lot more I had to say, but it all just creates more tension around the subject. This is the B&C and the Chaos forum, so you're not an official member until you've had a meltdown about the fact you cannot have your toy soldiers exactly the way you want them. I feel like I've been annointed.

Anyway the next phase of the project is finishing my BL. I decided to make my second vow in the ETL. But I couldn't make that decision until I went on a wild merry-go-round and touch base with everything again. Since the completion of the Virulent Malador, everything has shifted again, and although it sounds crazy atm, I think the solution is the chimera kit. And the leman russ.

The problem is my Black Legion Rhinos. I'm debating whether to buy the ForgeWorld doors, and extra armour, maybe along with the Dark Works Loricatus mk1 heavy armour, and just finish them up all sexy like.

Or whether to begin scratchbuilding extra armour with plasticard. This is what I need to do. I can practice on some spare rhinos I have for the plague marines, as well as the tanks. I'm so chuffed with the Virulent Malador that I will probably throw the rest of my vehicles into it. The project was a resounding success for me. So they need some heavy support. It's no big deal but it's just a lot of work that I'm thinking of taking on. Whenever I start scratchbuilding armour I usually end up building mad dodgy, physics defying, Necromunda terrain. Which is mad fun and all.

Also I have a few gangs and some ideas about converting Cadians and cultist etc. I thought I could push all of this into a renegade guard force, and start to collect some more tanks to practice scratch building on. Hence the chimera and leman russ being the solution. Otherwise I'd end up building Necro terrain and my room with fill up with grim dark decor. So I want to shoe horn the gangs into cultist or guard squads. I think I need to look at the FW list.

At this stage it's hardly worth showing, because I've just made my vow for my demon prince, but I think it's worth it, just to see the whole mad wheel go around. It's also nice for me to see my W.I.P pile get smaller.

So let's continue...

Here's the next phase, what I would like to finish for the black legion

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/652DA513-D16A-46E2-9E70-CC7C56989041_zps4lui58fo.jpg

Here's the Virulent Malador

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/A11B7E09-DF07-438C-B8F4-EE9A351D2B9E_zpslaj8r4we.jpg

You can see there is still some space for some bikes. And spawn as well! That's all I really want to do, but I owe it to my Black Legion to finish them up.

Here's what I'm thinking of gifting to the plague force, because I've got a pretty solid routine down for them now.

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/448C2725-060C-458F-B7A3-AAC9D14D733F_zpsk50qqpaw.jpg

Or could still be something else on their own.

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/7EC98309-EE08-4194-B499-205A546ADDBE_zpsa8er0fgf.jpg

Now here's some trouble. I've got the old stormtroopers, the Esher gang and some cultists. Also a whole box of Cadians and bits to start build more cultists.

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/F4D25803-78AC-4FA4-A609-FFC1E770C4B9_zpspqmqhwqr.jpg

I need some way to shoehorn them into my project.

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/91E67844-7EA8-40A3-9779-79601F5B41E9_zpsutm6jeaj.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/2D9ACB62-8471-4520-8285-1FC2C88CE379_zpsfa8wcyv1.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/87C568E2-96CD-42B0-B966-F466134A7614_zpsxqtech3r.jpg

I would like to be able to do more conversions to pull these three elements together. Maybe the wych kit plus the cadian and cultist. Or maybe do my own versions of these units or something.

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/939CDEDA-1FC4-4CD7-8C78-046D6E0176E3_zpsnetg2a5b.jpg

I've got the skittari and the magos, because why don't you have the skittari and the magos. I'm not sure how but I would like to pass him off a chaos sorcerer or a dark mechanicus something or other.

As long as I can put him on the table with my chaos forces I don't care which god I need to worship.

And here's the box of junk I need to turn into something cool.

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/EF95AB12-ED37-4604-85F5-77595CB9748C_zpsgna0aqxx.jpg

But then I checked in on the E.T.L and realised we are neck and neck, I'm not finished yet! I still have some work to do!

The last thing I want is to work my Black Legion into a corner where I have three tanks to finish. But I cannot finish them now, whether by scratch build or resin.

So it doesn't matter either way. I may as well keep pushing on with the elements I can finish now.

But I got all excited and starting tearing up

a rhino for my plague command vehicle anyway

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/F7201158-1627-4127-846C-117D9BFBC626_zpsknix5oej.jpg

Ok so once again steering this sinking ship back on course, I have made my vow and returned to the Black Legion

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/98E04E09-9F31-4FD9-9805-596B990E1D00_zps4i0tpolc.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/920A66F4-4362-4948-B746-2C16A14C0990_zpsl0948mac.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/5E86569D-938F-4188-94ED-813079192F76_zpstlxae5bu.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/A2D38D15-F44A-484B-85E1-F8390ED68F33_zpsv1glzigz.jpg

This week I have just vowed the demon prince and the possessed. If somebody could help me out on the points that would be a great boon.

Haha, I'm not worried about being called a Khorne salesman either. That's what I am, through and through. And there's no shame in it ;)

But yeah, if you're feeling like returning to the BL proper for now, that's what you have to do -- chaos is arguably a faction where following your motivation and spontaneous flights of fancy matters more than anywhere else, because that's where the creativity that makes an oustanding army lies. Well, that or another semi-painted mountain of plastic. But I digress...

So, back to the matter at hand: I think the DP and Possessed are a pretty clever choice for your next vow, and here's why: Both will give you the option to experiment a bit, particularly with achieving the right spectrum of flesh tones (ranging from merely slightly distressed to outright icky) while also staying within the Black Legion framework. At the same time, finding the right recipe for painting flesh will then feed back into the improvement of your already existing BL models. The other thing you can practice on these is to give them conrasting, striking eyes and eye lenses (I would always go for light blue, but that's just a personal infatuation of mine). And this, again, will also benefit the rest of your BL army.

The Daemon Prince is looking great once again, stripped down as he is -- what about giving him a mane of dreadlocks? That would look awesome, and I know your GS skills are definitely up to it!

Regarding "my" model, I would love to finish him! I don't think there's much to change about the model at all -- maybe a small Khornate doodad here and there, and just the right head, and we're off. Truth be told, I have already gathered a small pile of heads that I would love to try on him ;) Also, if it's all the same to you, please don't prime him: I would like to make a fresh start once the last bitz and the head have been added on. Man, that guy will be a glorious addition to the 4th assault company. i can't stop grinning...

Ahh good I'm glad we are all on the same page again.

Man I know what you mean in regards to the heads. That's why I'm so stoked with the faceplate conversion. It seems the perfect solution to have your cake and eat it too. You can dramatically change the face of your miniature, without changing the head at all! (Now who's the salesman? :p) I was going to finish this guy with the dreadlock look as mentioned. But I didn't want to damage the area as I knew you would want to personalise the mini somewhat. As an extra special bonus, I will also leave the gap above his holster/waist, and the gap in his shooty arm, for you to fill in and sculpt with greenstuff. ;) I have just finished cleaning the mold lines and drilling the barrels, I'll seal the miniature with plastic glue and leave it there. Normally I would bust out the green stuff and plug those final holes, maybe attempt some hair or something, but I'll just leave it here and pack him up.

Seeing as I am saying goodbye to the miniature, I wanted to snap a whole bunch of photos. I can foresee this is going to play out exactly like my SW. I'll start to miss the mini and post photos of him around the web and the whole cycle will start again. :) :) :)

Actually I'm already planning to build another one exactly the same, it's just all the way at the other end of my list of things to do. So it was nice to jump the queue and build him for Mr Krautster.

Ok so let's look at some pictures. I also got some extra special bonus family photos.

Ok I know the first two photos look exactly the same, but they are slightly different.

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/9902305A-21AC-4E09-A54E-702165B6BD52_zps1lcedcq6.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/52410C5E-0FE1-4635-B0EC-8C48887E84E0_zpsezdziibd.jpg

I like the second one better

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/59840373-ECB2-4036-AA3C-881CD39E7849_zpsze3k1znb.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/BB990DC3-7253-4A65-95DA-E41576AD0EC8_zps48flv3do.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/67378FA9-EE12-465C-BA18-695C90045CAE_zpsuv6fqyge.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/8D5B1E87-8873-4079-A80C-13EAAA8BB2AB_zpsocx0dovt.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/3C5A97BD-E3CA-4023-9E71-F95C9C746E31_zpsbwjuvzzq.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/5D7DAC45-7049-4D9B-8346-07A2FA6CA6BA_zpsic1tksl8.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/0CB3843F-9177-42CD-8359-904F3C8C616B_zpssvcgcirr.jpg

Family portrait time

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/22E0331F-777A-45A2-BBC7-A3A4096C317F_zpsesi0yvmt.jpg

The Berzerker twins, RIP & TEAR

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/FE27922C-9766-4B9E-8463-D0EC7B071EBC_zpsj2vkzzjl.jpg

The Black Legion Lords

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/EB81EBCA-6F37-4B47-B270-FC43831BBD2B_zpstum9vnby.jpg

The Inner Cirlce

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/0A20FF79-40F3-4DB7-BC13-D6A2A5F03E9B_zpsspyzd0mc.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/3C9A5907-D5D7-4D44-97AA-4C887066311E_zpsnfl4bqmf.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y400/jimbo196/92B351CF-4806-439E-99BA-37998401C196_zpshhfavm2b.jpg

Just out of curiosity, BrotherJim. Are you planning on adding Renegades and Heretics to your force? They have nice tanks and ally well with CSMs (they are BB after all).

I'd certainly look forward to seeing your take on the mortal elements of a Chaos force ;)

Edir: double post, on phone, sorry

Archived