Isengrin's Forge: A knife in the dark +Havoc+

What is it with all the Thunder Warriors lately -- seems to have become quite a trend ;)

That being said, your model stands a head above the rest! Fantastic kitbashing, and a wonderful paintjob to boot. That sword is just gorgeous! :)

That is AMAZING....

Thanks man!

Awesome mate. Great use of Zuphor's head there. The paintjob is stunning too, a really baroque, aged look.

I tried a few new metals from Scalecolor which I hadn't used before and put more texture than usual on the armour surface...and so far I'm very happy with it. When you mentioned Zhufor I had to do a quick double take because I wasnt sure anymore which one I used. But it's actually one of the heads from the FW Khorne terminator upgrade. :sweat:

I only have nice things to say so brace yourself. :yes:

The Thunder Warrior is an absolute beast.

The Sicaran has a nice heavily battered look suitable of a relic tank.

I haven't commented on the latest Plague Marine yet, but the white highlight works like a treat.

Haha, I braced myself but still blushed a bit. :tongue.: Thanks man!

Very Blanchitsu, I like it.

Thanks! Yeah it seems all of my paint jobs end up like this, no matter what I paint. :biggrin.:

What is it with all the Thunder Warriors lately -- seems to have become quite a trend :wink:

That being said, your model stands a head above the rest! Fantastic kitbashing, and a wonderful paintjob to boot. That sword is just gorgeous! :smile.:

Thanks buddy! First time that I painted a sword with this molten effect and it's supposed to show the harmful radiation emanating from ancient power swords of the Unification era, which were as dangerous to the wielder as they were to their enemies. It's probably not visible in the pics but hat's why he's got a bionic left arm.

It really is curious that all of a sudden so many thunder warrior conversions emerge out of nowhere and I'm totally up for it.

• 2 weeks later...

5E5E5E; center; padding: 12px 8px 12px 8px; border: 1px solid #DDD; margin-left: 0 auto; text-align: left; color: #fff; text-indent:10px; font-size:130%; ">BARAQU +++ ONEIRID SCOUT NJORUN X714

"Dreams surely are difficult, confusing, and not everything in them is brought to pass for mankind

For fleeting dreams have two gates: one is fashioned of horn and one of ivory

Those which pass through the one of sawn ivory are deceptive, bringing tidings which come to nought

But those which issue from the one of polished horn bring true results when a mortal sees them"

The Oneirophrenic Gates

gallery_92971_16177_184593.jpg

gallery_92971_16177_393530.jpg

gallery_92971_16177_78799.jpg

What is it with all the Thunder Warriors lately -- seems to have become quite a trend :wink:

That being said, your model stands a head above the rest! Fantastic kitbashing, and a wonderful paintjob to boot. That sword is just gorgeous! :smile.:

Thanks buddy! First time that I painted a sword with this molten effect and it's supposed to show the harmful radiation emanating from ancient power swords of the Unification era, which were as dangerous to the wielder as they were to their enemies. It's probably not visible in the pics but hat's why he's got a bionic left arm.

That's a great idea! It really looks like a corrosive, radioactive piece of equipment, and I love the idea that, underneath the bulky ostentatious armour, the rot has already set in :wink:

Excellent work on that latest model as well -- I am getting a serious Weirdingway vibe from these, which is a huge compliment in my book :wink: Is that orange rod actually transparent, or is it just a really, really good paintjob?

Keep up the amazing work!

Edited by KrautScientist

That's a great idea! It really looks like a corrosive, radioactive piece of equipment, and I love the idea that, underneath the bulky ostentatious armour, the rot has already set in :wink:

Excellent work on that latest model as well -- I am getting a serious Weirdingway vibe from these, which is a huge compliment in my book :wink: Is that orange rod actually transparent, or is it just a really, really good paintjob?

Keep up the amazing work!

Nobody gets off easy during the Unification, so yeah the rot has definitely set in. :nuke: I also like the idea of the standard symbolizing a supposedly brighter future held high above his head with the corrosive sword waiting underneath to cut down every form of opposition.

Weirdingway for sure had an influence on (at least) the paint scheme and I've got a whole mood board set up with mostly his stuff. :laugh.: Some of his minis feature teal and orange, which I wanted to incorporate too, but with a different style of course. The staff is painted with Vallejo Orange Fluorescent and Transparent Yellow over a white layer.

Always appreciate your comments! :thumbsup:

Yeah, I love how your models hint at the fact that the unification, while a momentous event, really wasn't this bright, hopeful moment, but rather - also - a dirty war fought with every trick in the book. At the same time, the ostentatiousness of the Thunder Warrior's armour makes it clear how the Emperor really sees his armies as these paragons of a new, glorious mankind -- anyway, there's a lot there to unpack and a lot of narrative potential!

• 5 weeks later...

I think he looks really nice sans a little detail: with both arms like this, he looks a bit awkward (like "I don't really know what to do now"). I can't put my finger on it, maybe you could turn one of the arms a tiny bit? I actually like this non-action pose, I just think he could use a bit more ... expression in his posture :)

Certainly off to a good start, those claws look brutal, @ranulf the revenant does have a good point, there is something a little off with the arms, perhaps the arms are a little too straight?

yeah, I think that's it. they look unnaturally straight in this picture (maybe it's really just the picture). I think it would look better with the elbows turned outwards more, while the hands (/claws) would be turned more inward. It would convey more tension, I think :).

I kinda like the straight down dead weight looks of his talons lends gravitas to an otherwise static pose. To me it emphasizes the length of the talons’ blades and also seems like the moment just before he bursts into violent brutal action with them and lends to a foreboding sense of what they can do and what is to come. The other sense is that he is perched on something; ready to launch himself into the fray; sizing up his prey in a creepy kind of way; which also suits the model.

But, maybe I’m just a bit too into this hobby...

Edited by Yosef Hausakluif

My brain went straight to 3rd ed raptors with the flared intakes, being long they'll further accentuate his height

I like the dead arm stance, as tho he's waiting for you to make the first move, and could wait forever daring you to flinch.. like a coiled viper or something.

Menacing!

I think he looks really nice sans a little detail: with both arms like this, he looks a bit awkward (like "I don't really know what to do now"). I can't put my finger on it, maybe you could turn one of the arms a tiny bit? I actually like this non-action pose, I just think he could use a bit more ... expression in his posture :smile.:

Certainly off to a good start, those claws look brutal, @ranulf the revenant does have a good point, there is something a little off with the arms, perhaps the arms are a little too straight?

yeah, I think that's it. they look unnaturally straight in this picture (maybe it's really just the picture). I think it would look better with the elbows turned outwards more, while the hands (/claws) would be turned more inward. It would convey more tension, I think :smile.:.

I think it is the combination of the straight arms and the twisted torso. The former looks like he is standing to attention and the other just doesn't.

All good points. The elbows are bent ever so slighty so the arms are not completely straight but it's not really visible from this camera angle. What probably irks me the most are the thumbs because they don't go with the flow of the claws and arms and stick out like, well, a sore thumb. :sweat:  That's why I repositioned them after snapping the pic and now they are more in line with the other claws.

I'm not sure if bending or moving the arms a bit would work, because my intention was to have him at rest but perched at a high point as if observing the battlefield and ready to pounce in an instance...and it might encroach on jazz hands territory if the claws are twisted outwards. I think I'll have to fiddle about with them some more.

I kinda like the straight down dead weight looks of his talons lends gravitas to an otherwise static pose. To me it emphasizes the length of the talons’ blades and also seems like the moment just before he bursts into violent brutal action with them and lends to a foreboding sense of what they can do and what is to come. The other sense is that he is perched on something; ready to launch himself into the fray; sizing up his prey in a creepy kind of way; which also suits the model.

But, maybe I’m just a bit too into this hobby...

If you are I'm too because that's what I was going for. :teehee: I wanted to emphasize the weight of those talons - they are massive after all even on a guy like him - and show him how he's sizing up his next prey.

My brain went straight to 3rd ed raptors with the flared intakes, being long they'll further accentuate his height

I like the dead arm stance, as tho he's waiting for you to make the first move, and could wait forever daring you to flinch.. like a coiled viper or something.

Menacing!

Do you mean those from the 3.5 codex? I have a few of them in my bitzbox but unfortunately they are not big enough for his frame. But I think jump packs in that shape would work best, I just have to think of something to fit his size.

Thanks for the comments guys, they help a lot!

I am not sure those are actually bigger. Maybe they just have the square holes for the primaris torsos.

All of the other pieces marked PM (for Primaris Marines) have this on them: "These are designed to fit  the new larger "Prime" marine (PM) or chaos marine models"

So it's up in the air, but the one that says SM states it won't fit Primaris.... So possibly?

I'm not sure about your stance on 3rd Party parts, but if you're looking for larger jump packs, PopGOESTheMonkey has some that are based on the old metal/finecast raptors that are sized for Primaris Marines:

710x528_26171191_14236092_1566314908_6a5

Oh those look very nice. I'm not opposed to using third party bits at all.

I am not sure those are actually bigger. Maybe they just have the square holes for the primaris torsos.

All of the other pieces marked PM (for Primaris Marines) have this on them: "These are designed to fit  the new larger "Prime" marine (PM) or chaos marine models"

So it's up in the air, but the one that says SM states it won't fit Primaris.... So possibly?

Yeah that's the big question. If they are the same as the old raptor packs it wouldn't make much sense to get them, but fitted to primaris size might be enough.

Yeah that's the big question. If they are the same as the old raptor packs it wouldn't make much sense to get them, but fitted to primaris size might be enough.

Not a primaris model, but his Shapeways site should give you a sense of scale.

Thanks for the link! The pic gives a pretty good idea of how big the pack is and it seems to be the right size.

I have been refurbishing a couple units lately, among them a sicaran tank and a maulerfiend. Now it was time to attend to my Gal Vorbak masquerading as Night Lords possessed. Back when I painted them the first time I mostly left them untouched aside from a few small alterations because those models are simply gorgeous. As a result they might not fit in 100% with the rest of my army but I'm ok with that. :sweat:

So here's the first possessed after receiving his new polish.

gallery_92971_11994_255219.jpg

gallery_92971_11994_251089.jpg

gallery_92971_11994_69649.jpg

gallery_92971_11994_365180.jpg

Edited by Isengrin