Isengrin's Forge: A knife in the dark +Havoc+

• 2 weeks later...

Possessed are looking great!

Thanks man!

Really nice stuff! Love that shade of blue.

Even though Gal Vorbak are monopose models the sky is the limit when converting them.

Thanks! I think sawing off the upper bodies and switching them around will be a good starting point and I'll probably do something with the pads and heads. Those are the most recognizable pieces on the minis.

Between working on the possessed and cooking up new conversion ideas I came up with plans for another big boi #chadmarine. The first major stages are completed, now finding a right arm and then sculpting on more details are next on the agenda. Some of you might recognize the source of inspiration for this chosen. :wink:

gallery_92971_12020_246774.jpg

Nice work! I really enjoy static posed models like this, full of personality. :smile.:

Thanks! Guess I'm getting pretty good at making those, but the Khorne chosen Urkrathos would be a great candidate for a more dynamic pose.

Lovely model, very Adrian Smith-esque.

I'm currently sourcing pretty much all my inspiration from the 3.5 codex, so lots of Adrian Smith. :teehee: One day I'm gonna build Kthelmir too.

Ooh, yeah I think i know that guy! Very nice work, clean conversion, I like how seamlessly the bits are combined with the sculpted parts. Will he be joined by his friends?

Thanks man! I haven't really thought about it yet, but I'm already envisaging how I would convert one of the Night Lords helmets for Ygethmor...

He looks pretty menacing already. Also like his scimitar/sabre and the fact that with your conversion, the weapon is actually not oversized like weapons in 40k usually are :biggrin.:. He really looks like he could put out some hurt.

It says a lot about the weapons being oversized when the sword still looks good on a marine almost twice the size of the old EC champion. :laugh.:

Ooohhh my dark lords that’s is SUBLIME! Awesome work on beefing that dude up and I am looking forward to seeing more progress.

Thanks! I'm currently going back and forth between plasma pistol and second sword for his right arm...could take a while. :sweat:

This thread keeps getting better and better!!

I try my best. :smile.:

I knew I recognised that mini from a piece of art! Excellent work! 

By the way, this whole thread is a fantastic source of inspiration! 

Thanks! That is very nice to hear!

Either of those options sound good. Or do a holstered or maglocked plasma pistol at his side and another bladed weapon in his right hand.

When he’s done I’d love to see a scale shot of him with marines right off the sprue.

After blu-tacking several options I went with a ribcage and skulls held on chains. I wasn't really feeling the second sword and the pistol looked a bit lacklustre, now he's carrying the trophies of defeated foes with him. He's really gigantic, probably the biggest marine I've built yet and he even towers over my oblit terminators. I'll post a pic with a few of my other marines when he's finished. :thumbsup:

More progress pics. The pauldrons are placeholder for now (as was the case with pretty much all my latest conversions :teehee:)...I'm already eyeing very specific pads and I hope to get them sooner rather than later. The backpack will have to get upscaled but I like this one from the EC champion.

gallery_92971_12020_967770.jpg

gallery_92971_12020_403921.jpg

A question: are the CSM arms by default too short for truescale/Primaris scale?

Your work is as amazing as ever, just curious what you think needs fixing if anything with the regular CSM arm lengths/proportions- upper or lower arm or okay as is?

I think the trophy idea is the better idea for sure! When this guy is done I'd love to see some size comparisons.

It also ties in well with the rest of the army, which was necessary with all the Emperors' Children bits used. Since he's based on a a slaaneshi character he would probably look kinda strange in midnight blue without a few NL add-ons. I made that mistake once already with a Khorne Night Lord. :sweat:

Cracking stuff, the detailed breastplate works really well there and the clutched trophy offsets the pose and drawn blade nicely too.

Thanks man! I spend by far the most time when building a marine just staring at the minis working out the posture and movement, so it's nice to hear that.

A question: are the CSM arms by default too short for truescale/Primaris scale?

Your work is as amazing as ever, just curious what you think needs fixing if anything with the regular CSM arm lengths/proportions- upper or lower arm or okay as is?

Thanks! I wouldn't rule out the use of regular CSM arms because it really depends on the truescaling method - everybody approaches it differently. I tend to bulk up my Night Lords considerably and add height to terminator legs/torsos which makes the arms too slender and (sometimes) a bit too short, but on the other hand I kept the arms for plague marines as they were. If I customize them it's usually to add some length and bulk to the upper arms and elbows.

Sometimes you have to consider practical reasons, like the first marine I built with the new terminator kit just couldn't reach around his chest to hold a bolter...he wouldn't have needed longer arms for anatomical reasons as the new arms looked just fine.

• 4 weeks later...

Im not going to lie, your blue is absolutely amazing, most beatiful Night Lords colour scheme ive seen (dont want to upset anyone!)
Is the a step by step tutorial somewhere to find or a video tutorial? 
you really inspire me as im about to finally start my first Night Lords after yoears of planning, would highly appritiate any helps or tips if its not too much to ask :)

Keep up the good work mate!!!

Im not going to lie, your blue is absolutely amazing, most beatiful Night Lords colour scheme ive seen (dont want to upset anyone!)

you really inspire me as im about to finally start my first Night Lords after yoears of planning, would highly appritiate any helps or tips if its not too much to ask :smile.:

Thanks a lot mate! Since I haven't done a tutorial yet I can only offer a short step-by-step description. The base is Dark Prussian Blue, followed by thinned Deep Sky and Royal Blue, all from Vallejo. I don't exactly blend the colours but what I do is pretty close just very rough and quick. Then I wash the armour with Scale75 Inktense Violet/Black which has to be extremely thinned down. GW Altdorf and Teclis or similar paints are used for highlights. The last step is applying battle damage with black and metal either by sponge or brush. I was actually asked for a video tutorial a couple days ago on instagram so I might try to do one when I have a bit more spare time.

I hope you open a thread with your Night Lords here in the forge...the more marines of the Eight the better! :smile.:

you really inspire me as im about to finally start my first Night Lords after yoears of planning, would highly appritiate any helps or tips if its not too much to ask :smile.:

Thanks a lot mate! Since I haven't done a tutorial yet I can only offer a short step-by-step description. The base is Dark Prussian Blue, followed by thinned Deep Sky and Royal Blue, all from Vallejo. I don't exactly blend the colours but what I do is pretty close just very rough and quick. Then I wash the armour with Scale75 Inktense Violet/Black which has to be extremely thinned down. GW Altdorf and Teclis or similar paints are used for highlights. The last step is applying battle damage with black and metal either by sponge or brush. I was actually asked for a video tutorial a couple days ago on instagram so I might try to do one when I have a bit more spare time.

I hope you open a thread with your Night Lords here in the forge...the more marines of the Eight the better! :smile.:

ah thank you so much!!! you are a Legend! and that step-by-steo would be so helpful

I might do it :D I should probably post one DG on here, to see what people think of it as well :)

Thank you all your help and amazing work, you really inspire me and probably many more!

A few weeks ago I split the dark imperium box with a friend of mine and while the books included will become obsolete pretty soon, there are several fun bits in there which can further fuel my conversion engine. I have to say though that the death guard marines are an absolute pain to work with, those from DI as well as the regular kits. It's the first time in a couple years or so where I had to build the complete mini with arms, pads and backpack attached before painting because there are too many gaps to fill. It was still a lot of fun but also a bit of a challenge.

The first mini I've started to build is a sort of lord of contagion with power armour (what it means for his presentation on the tabletop and his rules...it's up in the air) and following my recent habit of being inspired by official GW artwork I took a few cues from a pic in the old hordes of chaos army book, Korpus Eiterherz (in German). He's not finished yet and the backpack especially will receive more attention but it's going well so far.

Hushrong, I haven't forgotten about the size comparison pics. I'll take some next week when I'll get a short breather timewise. :wink:

gallery_92971_12020_1231516.jpg