Isengrin's Forge: A knife in the dark +Havoc+

I am loving these, keep them coming.

Excellent painting, the yellow armor is super crazy looking!

Thanks a lot guys! I've already started painting the next plague marine, who should be done shortly. Right now I'm pondering a small change with the icon bearer though, because the horn on his helmet just doesn't look right...might just cut it off.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright here we go, plague marine no.3 is finished. I added a bit more white to the highlights and also did more glazing and mixing colours while they were still wet. What do you guys think?

gallery_92971_11994_21345.jpg

gallery_92971_11994_32027.jpg

gallery_92971_11994_106181.jpg

gallery_92971_11994_40073.jpg

gallery_92971_11994_94085.jpg

To top things off, here's a nice group shot of the unit as it currently is.

gallery_92971_11994_47499.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely amazing work. Kudos! Love the grimmy look! You have managed to express a messy look without being messy yourself :smile.:.

Thanks man! I'm trying to get a dirty and really battered look for them without it being too random, so it's nice to hear that. :smile.:

They look disgustingly cool. Kind of terrifying, actually.

Thanks! Fits right in with my Night Lords then. :biggrin.:

Fantastic gribbly bits to form the mouth of the gun. Nice and creepy, like the fleshy bits you've done on your nightlords.

Thanks! Yeah I wanted to convey a visual connection between the troops, like the fleshy bits and the bases, to tie them together for when they take the battlefield as one army.

Really like the yellow armor, looks great!

Thank you! :smile.:

This is what a Plague Marine looks like! Great work with the yellow armour, looks dirty but in a controlled manner.

Very inspirational, must resist doing a side project... :wallbash:

Haha go ahead man, I'd love to see a little side project from you. :wink:

I have to say, painting a different unit with its own paint scheme is a really nice diversion and has rekindled a bit my motivation to paint more Night Lords. I added even more white to the mix with my fourth plague marine and I think I'll go back to the others to do the same there. With only one more marine left to paint the unit will probably receive a couple new recruits soon in the form of another bolter dude and a champion, which would coincidentally bring their number to seven - just how it's supposed to be. :tongue.:

gallery_92971_11994_333633.jpg

gallery_92971_11994_72739.jpg

gallery_92971_11994_535497.jpg

gallery_92971_11994_404417.jpg

gallery_92971_11994_97362.jpg

• 1 month later...

Oh man I have so much love for these! This was the exact look I went for when I played DG in 3.5 but I never got any pics. I miss that army...

I’m glad I didn’t now though because these would put them to shame! <3

Man good old 3.5 codex...those were the days. It's never too late to rebuild that army, after all my Night Lords' origins also lie in those times. Thanks!

Thes plague marines are so full of win mate - very different to the norm. The red eye glow fits so well with them, brings the whole evil ‘I am going to infect you’ dial up to 11 :thumbsup:

Disgustingly brilliant!

Thanks buddy! I think the red eyes work even better with the added white highlights. Brings them out even more. :laugh.:

You always excel at making true scale Chaos Space Marines that are brilliantly menacing and darkly majestic -- those Plague Marines are truly something else, though. I love the fleshy barrel on the heavy weapons guy! :smile.:

Very high praise, thanks man! Glad you like them. I'm really happy with the fleshy parts and similar stuff will be on other plague marines as well but I don't want to overdo it. GW already packed them full with mutations and it's quite a task to keep them from looking too busy.

I don't think I have ever posted it here, but a few years ago I painted a Sicaran and in the process used a bit too much chipping fluid. Not that it was bad, but I just was never completely convinced of the paint job, so now that I had some time to kill I went back and refurbished the tank.

gallery_92971_11994_519219.jpg

gallery_92971_11994_704892.jpg

gallery_92971_11994_290644.jpg

gallery_92971_11994_38229.jpg

gallery_92971_11994_85477.jpg

gallery_92971_11994_245133.jpg

Going to second MagicMan - that Sicaran looks fantastic in Night Lords colors. I'm really liking the skulls mounted on the left side as well, they're a great addition and really give the model some extra character.

Your Death Guard are also really good - yellow works surprisingly well on the models, and it definitely offers a welcome contrast from the usual green tones you see them in.

Wow. Love the deep blue tones on that tank.

Love that colour scheme for the Plague Marines too!

Thanks man!

Going to second MagicMan - that Sicaran looks fantastic in Night Lords colors. I'm really liking the skulls mounted on the left side as well, they're a great addition and really give the model some extra character.

Your Death Guard are also really good - yellow works surprisingly well on the models, and it definitely offers a welcome contrast from the usual green tones you see them in.

Thanks! I'm really glad now that I didn't forget to put some trophies on the Sicaran. Even though it's just a small addition it does lend a lot of character to the vehicle.

• 4 weeks later...

So grimdark I live it! You have a really wonderful painterly style that give so much feeling to tour work, it’s really great! What’s next?

Thanks man! At first I tried to paint the tank with airbrush, but in the end it was only good for a foundation. That painterly style demands a brush after all. :sweat: As for the next project, it's time to take a closer look at the greater myths of the Unification Wars.

That tank is superb!! The blue is really nicely done, looks amazing!!

Thanks! Glad you like it!

Edited by Isengrin

BARAQU +++ EMISSARY OSTISOI FINISTERE

"I offer neither pay, nor quarters, nor food

I offer only hunger, thirst, forced marches, battles and death

Let him who loves this world with his heart, and not merely with his lips, follow me"

The Emperor at the Siege of Mount Alborus

gallery_92971_16177_326259.jpg

gallery_92971_16177_22518.jpg

gallery_92971_16177_47246.jpg

gallery_92971_16177_253202.jpg

gallery_92971_16177_66769.jpg

gallery_92971_16177_53236.jpg

Edited by Isengrin

I only have nice things to say so brace yourself. :yes:
The Thunder Warrior is an absolute beast.
The Sicaran has a nice heavily battered look suitable of a relic tank.
I haven't commented on the latest Plague Marine yet, but the white highlight works like a treat.