Awesome work, dude! I love that colour on the armour. The only critique that I have is that the armour looks a bit too clean. I recon some stains (rust/grime/mould/leaking armour joints) would look fantastic :tu:

Thanks Bio, It's quite nice to do something a little quicker then my Night Lords :biggrin.:.

As I mentioned earlier, here is where I am currently at with my new Foetid Bloat-drone:

gallery_74887_13423_423814.png

I've still got quite a way to go with this but I think with a few hours of slogging away at it, I'll have it done come tomorrow. I have to choose positions for the legs and the wings while trying to spread them out across the body because I really wanted it to resemble a fly, ya know, like Nurgle has lots of. The benefit to this is I also have a couple of those propellers spare for anything I want to do later on.

Let me know what you think, C&C is always welcome :smile.:

Nemac

VERY interesting idea - you've certainly made the little conversion-cogs in my brain turn. :)

Sorry dude, its been too long since I commented.  Loving what your doing and really happy all of your bits are being used!  I cant say I've had much luck in getting very far with my stuff lol  new borns demand more attention than i'd anticipated /doh!

The Foetid Blight Drone looks quality too!  Will be needing to revisit my Air support to counter this  :thumbsup:

Oh, now that is clever! Will this be a Blight Drone or maybe even a Heldrake surrogate? In any case, I suggest some nasty metallic green for the carapace :wink:

The latest Plague Marines are looking absolutely excellent as well (although I have to admit the bare head on the one guy seems just a teeny tiny bit too pedestrian to me, at least for a Plague Marine).

Thanks KS, the metallic green sounds pretty awesome but I would have to work out how to use that and still make him fit in with the Death Guard. I will probably just run it as a Foetid Bloat-drone to be honest, I've still got another two to make :thumbsup:. I was determined to use that head haha.

Bloat drone looks awesome!

Great work on the plague-caster too, he looks much better wihout a face.

Thanks Corswain. I am actually going to make a small change to him, just the sword and the pommel. I found a much bigger (better) plague sword in the kit with the Nurgle fly things so I will switch it up.

Wow that is a fantastic idea! Loving the bloat drone so far, can't wait to see where you go with it!

Thanks mate, see below :wink:

Awesome work, dude! I love that colour on the armour. The only critique that I have is that the armour looks a bit too clean. I recon some stains (rust/grime/mould/leaking armour joints) would look fantastic :thumbsup:

Thanks Kizz, If I add any grime I will probably do it all right at the end I think. I'm still undecided about it and have had arguments both for and against. I will probably go straight down the middle and add a small amount of watered down Agrax under the trim because I still want to keep the majority of the colour I have.

Thanks Bio, It's quite nice to do something a little quicker then my Night Lords :biggrin.:.

As I mentioned earlier, here is where I am currently at with my new Foetid Bloat-drone:

*snip*

I've still got quite a way to go with this but I think with a few hours of slogging away at it, I'll have it done come tomorrow. I have to choose positions for the legs and the wings while trying to spread them out across the body because I really wanted it to resemble a fly, ya know, like Nurgle has lots of. The benefit to this is I also have a couple of those propellers spare for anything I want to do later on.

Let me know what you think, C&C is always welcome :smile.:

Nemac

VERY interesting idea - you've certainly made the little conversion-cogs in my brain turn. :smile.:

Thanks GR, that sounds a little exciting!

Sorry dude, its been too long since I commented. Loving what your doing and really happy all of your bits are being used! I cant say I've had much luck in getting very far with my stuff lol new borns demand more attention than i'd anticipated /doh!

The Foetid Blight Drone looks quality too! Will be needing to revisit my Air support to counter this :thumbsup:

Thanks dude, I don't think they are overly powerful in-game but of course we will have to sort a game so I can try it out!

And below:

gallery_74887_13423_710026.png

I still have a lot of cleaning and tidying up to do but the main bulk of it is done. The guns will be added after painting because it is much easier to do them separately. I have another two of the flies left for the next two which I will probably do together but I need to order a couple more Drones. The previous one has been sold to fund this project but that is of little consequence. It will fund all three so was a worthwhile endeavour :).

As always let me know what you all think!

Nemac

Man, that thing is absolutely incredible! Fantastic work! And as an added bonus, it looks exactly like a bigger version of the bug/fly hovering above the Plague champion's backpack!

If I may offer one small point of critique, I'd say the mandibles/feelers you have added to either side of the face could arguably work better when shortened by one joint.

Wow, awesome idea! I may steal this from you... not sure the turbine on the back works, though. 

Thanks DuskRaider, I quite like the turbine where it is, I have also cut the plate that it would normally attach to so it is attached to some mechanics at the back end of the flies carapace. I will try and get some pictures to show what I mean :tu:

Man, that thing is absolutely incredible! Fantastic work! And as an added bonus, it looks exactly like a bigger version of the bug/fly hovering above the Plague champion's backpack!

If I may offer one small point of critique, I'd say the mandibles/feelers you have added to either side of the face could arguably work better when shortened by one joint.

Thanks KS, that'd a thought about the little fly. I have one of those laying around here somewhere because I took it off the champion. A little clean up and maybe I will add it to the base. Mandibles have been modified so when I get pics I will show ya :)

The perfect conversion!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks Raz, painting is underway at the moment and I have a week off next week so all going to plan I should be able to get it finished fairly soon. Ready to face off against your Dark Anges :D

Thanks for the comments folks, it is very much appreciated!

Nemac

Looks utterly hideous in the best possible way. Great merging of parts. Now, I feel like I need to decontaminate :smile.:

Haha, thank you :D

Awesome conversion!

Thank you :)

Ok, I need some help folks - How would you paint the wings, specifically, the 'arms' that hold the wings. Should I fade them out from the carapace colour to a dark brown like I will with the legs or is there a better way of doing it? A picture for reference:

med_gallery_74887_13423_715089.png

I also finished two more plague marines but forgot to upload them to my gallery:

gallery_74887_13423_193015.png

C&C always welcome!

Nemac

Looking good.

Regards the question I've always felt the carapace and wings on the model(s) in question remind me of locusts. The collar or pronatum just behind the head on the thorax specifically for the carapace (but repeated on models).

Now the "arm" of an insect wing is called a costal. If you look at actual species you often see that the costal is not the same colour as the pronatum or carapace, but the legs are (not the large hind legs with the massive femur, they usually match the carapace). Or in a sense the "small" limbs are all the same colour, whether legs or wings. The massive legs match the carapace.

Depends on the species of course.

The point of the ramble is that as a daemon engine do what you like, but some Googling of insect images might help for inspiration, especially locusts with wings unfurled.

My opinion is the costal should match the legs on yours. I've seem bloat drone wings done with amazing iridescence on the gossamer part of the wings, which would contrast well on yours.

Have you considered doing a pattern on them, like a moth's wings? Say a skull shape, almost like what you see on the thorax of a Death's Head Hawkmoth. They're almost like a blank canvas, you've got room to work with.

I recon the arm of the wings should be the same colour as the legs. The wings themselves would look cool in an off white i think. I like the idea of painting patters on the wings that DR said, maybe try a nurgle symbol silhouette? or would that be to cheesy?  

Looking good.

Regards the question I've always felt the carapace and wings on the model(s) in question remind me of locusts. The collar or pronatum just behind the head on the thorax specifically for the carapace (but repeated on models).

Now the "arm" of an insect wing is called a costal. If you look at actual species you often see that the costal is not the same colour as the pronatum or carapace, but the legs are (not the large hind legs with the massive femur, they usually match the carapace). Or in a sense the "small" limbs are all the same colour, whether legs or wings. The massive legs match the carapace.

Depends on the species of course.

The point of the ramble is that as a daemon engine do what you like, but some Googling of insect images might help for inspiration, especially locusts with wings unfurled.

My opinion is the costal should match the legs on yours. I've seem bloat drone wings done with amazing iridescence on the gossamer part of the wings, which would contrast well on yours.

That was very informative so thank you :). I have found some pretty good images of blue/green bottle flies on google and will keep hold of them for reference. Locusts on the other hand I will have to look up. I also think GW may have missed a trick with this kit, if they had cast the wings in the clear plastic it would have been very helpful!

Have you considered doing a pattern on them, like a moth's wings? Say a skull shape, almost like what you see on the thorax of a Death's Head Hawkmoth. They're almost like a blank canvas, you've got room to work with.

I hadn't thought of that to be honest. It does sound like a pretty interesting idea. I could do something like that but try and give it a very mild appearance, sort of hidden in plain sight :D

Some great ideas here ^^

I'd personally agree with Marius and stick with the scheme from the legs. The idea of some freehand markings is really cool too. :thumbsup:

I agree, 

I recon the arm of the wings should be the same colour as the legs. The wings themselves would look cool in an off white i think. I like the idea of painting patters on the wings that DR said, maybe try a nurgle symbol silhouette? or would that be to cheesy?  

Not cheesy, would work extremely well I think. Maybe the fly symbol would look cool?

Thanks for all the comments and help with this folks. I will be doing the wings to match the legs as that seems to be the way to go!

Nemac

I think I will follow Marius' advice mate, and I have some spare wings that could be stripped but will definetley try DR's idea of painting markings :)

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon all!

I have taken a short break from my Death Guard and have started work on an entirely separate Night Lords force which will mainly consist of Raptors and Bikes and is also more 40k themed. The first model I have for this little warband is my Raptor Champion:

gallery_74887_13568_668494.png

I got a lot of inspiration from around here, Biohazard and Thamier for their fantastic Raptor Champions/lLords and Gunnersberry for the metallic blue colour scheme to name a few (Thanks folks :)). The loincloth/armour is from the Lord Kranon model from Dark Vengeance and the wings are from the Tyranid Gargoyles. The sword is an amalgamation of a Grey Knight and Dark Eldar weapon.

As always C&C is very much welcome!

Nemac

He looks fantastic buddy. I do love that you went with NL's over Black legion for him.

The pattern on the wings is outstanding and is that a metallic sheen to the blue? Again, he's looking brilliant bud :tu:

Oh he's tasty! Fantastic work dude

Thank you :), I have another four built and ready to go. Three are pretty standard but I made one with a banner pole in one hand to represent a Mark of Chaos. I haven't got the new codex yet but I assume you can take marks on NL's. If not, meh!

That's a seriously mean, dynamic pose.  Excellent choice of parts for the built and paint - well worth the extra effort you have put in to the whole.

Must be one of the best models posted here.

Thanks dude, I am pretty pleased with him to be honest. I will try and get some pictures of the back added soon :)

He looks fantastic buddy. I do love that you went with NL's over Black legion for him.

The pattern on the wings is outstanding and is that a metallic sheen to the blue? Again, he's looking brilliant bud :thumbsup:

Thanks Bio :), Both you and Raztalin made good arguments for Night Lords so it had to be done. It is indeed a metallic blue, Vallejo Model Air Artic Blue which already comes as metallic so that helped a lot! He doesn't look too out of place against the rest of my Night Lords but in ADB's (awesome) trilogy it was stated towards the end of book three, If I am remembering correctly, how some of the Night Lords had there own differing schemes - I could just say they are one such warband. 

Thanks again folks - more soon!

Nemac

Really nice pose and use of bits, the red of the wings looks spot on too.

Thanks Pearson :), It is time consuming doing those lines on the wings but I feel they add a little depth to them. 

Wow that raptor champion looks phenomenal! Love the metallic blue and the colors really pop! Definitely looking forward to seeing more 40k themed Night Lords from you!

Thanks Vairocanum :), I think my next models for this will be five more Raptors and maybe a Daemon Prince to lead them, though I am unsure on whether to go with said DP or a Jump Pack Sorcerer instead. 

That raptor champ is somethings else! the wings are great, loving the blue armour and the whole composition of the model. great work all round Nem!!!

Thanks Sagentus, the Icon Bearer is nearly finished and then I am working on the plasma gunner :D

Thanks again for the comments folks.

Nemac

Archived