Yeah, I'm rereading the Enforcer books and at one point, the main character is riding in a motorcade of 6 rhinos and two repressors, all full of arbites, driving down streets cleared by many many squads of arbites, and pulling up to a building cordoned off by, you guessed it, more arbites. Just so she can go to a meeting. 

They are fully capable of 40k sized engagements.

To me, primarchs and knights seem more out of place in a 40k scale engagement. But, that's probably because I came up in a different time in 40k, when a space marine squad cost 300 points.

18 minutes ago, Inquisitor Eisenhorn said:

Aren’t they more like the feds?  The =][= are the spooks was my understanding.  

In that they spend most of their time meddling and steering places on a planetary level rather than enforcing laws as we might understand police to. Though obviously they have in house muscle :)  

Inquisition obvious also fit the bill, albeit more of the undercover/black ops types most of the time,

Edited by Noserenda

1 hour ago, Ripper.McGuirl said:

Yeah, I'm rereading the Enforcer books and at one point, the main character is riding in a motorcade of 6 rhinos and two repressors, all full of arbites, driving down streets cleared by many many squads of arbites, and pulling up to a building cordoned off by, you guessed it, more arbites. Just so she can go to a meeting. 

They are fully capable of 40k sized engagements.

To me, primarchs and knights seem more out of place in a 40k scale engagement. But, that's probably because I came up in a different time in 40k, when a space marine squad cost 300 points.

I would love to see Arbites as a standalone army, and also always enjoyed the Shira Calpurnia trilogy. Gonna give my Enforcer copy a rereading.

My personal subjective opinion: 2k points games are skirmishes in 40k, kill team is like two squads fighting a 5 minutes engagement in the middle of a skirmish. Epic is a real 40k engagement as read in the fluff. So Arbites makes sense as a 40k army in the current ruleset.

Both kill teams look great, It's quite nice how well the kabalites hold up. But I have zero interest in the terrain, so the box is not for me!

Honestly, I'd be fine if they were elite agents of the imperium that had the inquisitor's "go in any transport rule" so they can borrow chimaeras, tauroxes, rhinos, etc. Would be a nice replacement for non-cadian vets in imperial guard.

6 hours ago, Inquisitor Eisenhorn said:

Aren’t they more like the feds?  The =][= are the spooks was my understanding.  

I'd say so, some sort of federal agent x judge dredd x religious zeal mash-up

echoing that yeah, not everything needs to be a full fledged army or faction, some things fit in smaller scales
a vehicle and hq to add a splash to some imperium soup would be perfect, or inquisition kitchen sink faction

Edited by spessmarine

19 hours ago, Lexington said:

They won't do this, because Business, but I think it'd be fun to have a sort of mid-scale mission type in 40K that can only be played in Patrol-sized game, and where smaller armies of things like Arbites or Enforcers or whatever could operate. Factions like that could get a few troop types, a couple of vehicles, maybe some bikes or other similary-sized esoterica, but nothing more. Honestly, Genestealer Cults would be way more appropriate in that scenario than they are in 40K proper.

You mean like boarding actions?

15 hours ago, Mana said:

I would love to see Arbites as a standalone army, and also always enjoyed the Shira Calpurnia trilogy. Gonna give my Enforcer copy a rereading.

My personal subjective opinion: 2k points games are skirmishes in 40k, kill team is like two squads fighting a 5 minutes engagement in the middle of a skirmish. Epic is a real 40k engagement as read in the fluff. So Arbites makes sense as a 40k army in the current ruleset.

Both kill teams look great, It's quite nice how well the kabalites hold up. But I have zero interest in the terrain, so the box is not for me!

Said this in a 40K FB post, that games in 20+mm scale are only skirmish games and not ‘army’ games.

4 hours ago, spessmarine said:

I'd say so, some sort of federal agent x judge dredd x religious zeal mash-up

echoing that yeah, not everything needs to be a full fledged army or faction, some things fit in smaller scales
a vehicle and hq to add a splash to some imperium soup would be perfect, or inquisition kitchen sink faction

I feel like they could be though as much as genestealer cults or militarum tempestus are. Bespoke units plus allies. Prolly not the most competitive but would be super cool to play especially since lore supports them. Narratively very cool.

I like them but not as much as I had hoped. The armoured legs and semi armoured torso is a bit odd, I like that you can see the uniform tunic but might have worked better if the thighs were unarmed too. If I get some it'll probably be to use as outland enforcers.

I think given the size of 40k games it'd be plausible to run them as a Precinct with Taurox and Valkyries supporting while fighiting a Genestealer, Cultist or even Ork invasion. I think for the most part this will be a gimmick 0-1 type unit for 40k at best. 

I'm a big fan of the Adeptus Arbites and boarding actions. I can't tell you how happy I am that there are going to be official rules for the Arbitrators in Kill Team - now people don't have to use my sucky version (and I can stop working on the update for this version of the Kill Team game). While I'm not a huge fan of the Drukhari as a faction, I can definitely use those models to give my Anhrathe a bit more character.

The callback to the original Adeptus Arbites models is evident, though it's clear (and understandable) that the new version deliberately distances itself from both Judge Dredd and the different versions of the planetary Enforcers of the Necromunda range (though GW makes it clear that you can also use these Adeptus Arbites models as Enforcers in that game). It's interesting that the armor on the limbs only covers the front, and the lack of armour on the abdomen makes me wince :facepalm:. I'm sure I can cope with that flaw, however. Plus, and this is the important part, they have boomsticks!

As for the potential for the Adeptus Arbites in the Warhammer 40,000 game (vice just in Kill Team), they are natural enemies of pure cultist armies, whether Genestealer or Chaos, and natural defenders of any planet of the Imperium that is either in rebellion or under attack. While not identical to an army of the Astra Militarum per se, they have sufficient resources to mount credible military action for a short time (weeks/months) until better equipped and larger forces such as the Astra Militarum can arrive in theater. It would be easy to "expand" the range with a minimum amount of effort, mostly by using existing kits from the Adeptus Astartes/Adepta Sororitas (the Rhino) and Astra Militarum (lots) ranges. A simple Adeptus Arbites vehicle conversion sprue - either a generic one for multiple kits, sprues for specific kits, or both - could do the trick. Expansion beyond that could happen, too, allowing for some more street level equipment.

Personally, whether or not GW ever decides to expand the Adeptus Arbites into the Warhammer 40,000 game is irrelevant to me - I'll just use them in Kill Team and Necromunda.

While I was sorely tempted by the Into the Dark set (I'm also a big fan of the Imperial Navy boarding parties and their boomsticks, but the Kroot just didn't do it for me even though they're fantastic models), I'll definitely be getting this box.

I think they'd make fine Black Templar neophytes, as well. Not that there's anything wrong with the existing kit, but for one: a great option for helmets that doesn't look out of place and should be proportioned properly, and two: perhaps a more ornate/honored position among the neophytes to account for all the extra bling.

2 minutes ago, Khornestar said:

I think they'd make fine Black Templar neophytes, as well. Not that there's anything wrong with the existing kit, but for one: a great option for helmets that doesn't look out of place and should be proportioned properly, and two: perhaps a more ornate/honored position among the neophytes to account for all the extra bling.

I'm all for reappropriating kits for other purposes, but this is the second time I've seen a comment about turning them into Neophytes for BT, and I don't personally see it, beyond the potential for the helmets. 

I think the buttoned uniform under the armour is too formal for BT, and the ornate shoulder pads and armour feels like something that more senior Castellans, Marshals, etc. would wear, not the lowest squire amongst their ranks.

The new box is interesting. I would have expected daemons vs dark eldar with the title being "soulshackle".

Arbites. They do look cool and I do see more medieval theme in their armour. I guess the 32mm base is to represent them as being the elite version of the normal space cops on 25mm.

Dark Eldar. This team interest me as I always was interested in starting a dark eldar team. I am probably going to see if there is a splitter in local shop.

39 minutes ago, Arbedark said:

I'm all for reappropriating kits for other purposes, but this is the second time I've seen a comment about turning them into Neophytes for BT, and I don't personally see it, beyond the potential for the helmets. 

I think the buttoned uniform under the armour is too formal for BT, and the ornate shoulder pads and armour feels like something that more senior Castellans, Marshals, etc. would wear, not the lowest squire amongst their ranks.

That’s fair, though I attempted to account for that with my final sentence. My crusade is much more ornate and decorative in general than the standard/common depiction, so not an idea that would appeal to everyone but feels perfect to me.

Could also be used as a separate entity of PDF on the shrine world my crusade recruits from. All sorts of fun options.

1 hour ago, Brother Tyler said:

As for the potential for the Adeptus Arbites in the Warhammer 40,000 game (vice just in Kill Team),

If stuff like the star striders can get 40k rules, for sure these guys will. There's just no way they wont. Even if this one set would end being extent of it, theres no way at least that wont happen.

47 minutes ago, Khornestar said:

What we got works, would work if it just had more body poses..  for the love of everything, just make a primaris scout kill team, GW

Re: use as neophytes, Could sculpt or shove an apron/tabard into the unarmored tummy as well to hide their vulnerable spot.

Just now, Doghouse said:

Thinking about it they might be a nice base model for household troops for Knights.

Also a great idea.

Edited by Khornestar

8 minutes ago, Marshal Reinhard said:

If stuff like the star striders can get 40k rules, for sure these guys will. There's just no way they wont.

Article on WarCom states: "You can also arm them all as shotgun-toting Vigilants or riot-shielded Subductor squads for use in games of Warhammer 40,000."