All this talk of serfs has gotten me thinking. The notion of nine thousand seems really quite low to me. These populations have millennia to grow, and a lot of space to do it. Between crewing the Chapter fleet, the basic support staff for a Fortress-Monastery (each of which might be the size of a hive city), providing specialized support for the Chapter (artificers, etc), that population could be in the tens of thousands on its own. Beyond that, there would be families, the support for those who serve the Chapter directly (farmers or other food producers, miners and forgeworkers), as well as any armed forces the serfs provide... And on top of that there would be an entire bureaucracy that governs the population. Administrative staff, police forces, any kind of self-government they have (since I really doubt that Marines would be directly involved in that). Really, I think that serf populations would be more like self-sustaining nations that could reach populations of hundreds of thousands assuming they have the space and supplies to support it.

Between providing armed forces for the fleet and garrisoning any permanent installations a Chapter might control, the serf militia alone could be size of one or more Imperial Guard regiments, and given that they'd be receiving training and equipment from Astartes, they'd like be comparable to Guard elite forces.

There's a whole world of logistics behind a Chapter that hasn't really gotten much thought put into it, in my opinion. Chapters produce their own vehicles. That requires factories. Who is going to work in those factories? Serfs. Factories require raw materials, and unless a Chapter can import them all, which seems unlikely given that the Imperium is already stretched, those materials would have to be mined, processed, smelted, etc. Serfs would have to do all of that, as most Chapter homeworlds have populations that haven't even mastered gunpowder, let alone the technology required to supply a futuristic military industrial complex. Marines and serfs both need to eat. Food must be grown and processed, stored, prepared, served. Again, I don't think imports could explain all or even a large part of that as a Chapter needs to be as independent as possible, especially given how isolated they are in many cases. Schools, both for children and to develop specialized skills would be needed. It's a vast workforce, an entire society, that would be needed to support a Chapter, far more than just crewing space ships and assembling the odd bolter.

We all know the propensity for human mutation in the 41st millennium. I would think a serf population would have to be self-regulating, with its own police forces, along with the facilities and training to deal with nascent psykers, mutants, etc.

Anyways, I hope that's some food for thought. I'm certainly doing a lot of thinking about the Thousand Swords' serf population and how they function alongside the Chapter.

bah, one day I will have an IA this good >.<

glad to see this thread is still alive and kicking mol

Will it ever die? :)

All this talk of serfs has gotten me thinking. The notion of nine thousand seems really quite low to me. These populations have millennia to grow, and a lot of space to do it. Between crewing the Chapter fleet, the basic support staff for a Fortress-Monastery (each of which might be the size of a hive city), providing specialized support for the Chapter (artificers, etc), that population could be in the tens of thousands on its own. Beyond that, there would be families, the support for those who serve the Chapter directly (farmers or other food producers, miners and forgeworkers), as well as any armed forces the serfs provide... And on top of that there would be an entire bureaucracy that governs the population. Administrative staff, police forces, any kind of self-government they have (since I really doubt that Marines would be directly involved in that). Really, I think that serf populations would be more like self-sustaining nations that could reach populations of hundreds of thousands assuming they have the space and supplies to support it.

I was wrong when talking to you on MSN; this is the exact quote:

'At full occupation, the monastery was home to the thousand battle-brothers of the chapter and their officers, with a supporting staff of servitors, scribes, technomats and functionaries that numbered seven and a half thousand souls.'

So you could end up arguing the number down further, as that number includes servitors and technomats into the 7,500 figure. I don't think that most Chapters would end up with a serf population numbering in "the hundreds of thousands".

(Odd thought - can you imagine what would happen if a Chapter's serfs unionised?)

Thanks for your feedback! I certainly appreciate it. I know this thread can be intimidating to enter, with us Castigator fanboys arguing over the minutiae of things that perplex and bemuse outsiders, but still. ;) Hopefully you'll stick around! Also, there's no 'prying'. Your questions help me because by having to defend and expound upon my ideas, they get tested. The less-resilient ideas eventually fall by the wayside and are replaced by stronger ones. So it's all good!

I see we share developmental philosophies. Through critique, the work grows strong.

And don't worry, I'm a little guilty of fussing over minutiae of my own Chapter, so I understand the temptation.

I've never thought to give the moon a name. I imagine 'Sanctuary' is a term originally derived from those Losancans inducted into the Chapter. I don't think Baraquiel would've called it 'Sanctuary' - for him the only true Sanctuary was faith in the Emperor! So yes, I think there would be some significance with the dark-siders, because if nothing else, it's a primary source of illumination, however dim.

And, given their propensity to see light as a corrupter, is there some sort of ideological conflict in them when it comes to the moon? And the fact that their angels reside there?

Do they have a name for the sun as well?

There will eventually be further work done on the light-siders, which'll go on to detail the planet more. At the moment, they're gribbly, shambling mutants, and that;s all that matters! I think homeworlds open up a lot of problems for a DIY Chapter, as they add a lot of 'baggage'. They should be done well or not at all - and I think personally that too many DIYs utilise their homeworlds as a throwaway section, without giving sufficient importance to them. In the Castigators, however, it serves to mirror the themes inherent within the Chapter, so it works for me.

Awesome, I'd love to hear more about them.

I also found the 'Homeworld' section to be pivotal... in a different fashion. I agree that it is, however you use it, an important element; a lot of things project from it, particularly beliefs and combat doctrine.

I ventured a third of the way through your thread but didn't make it much further. I think the potential for conflict with the Techmarines and the Adeptus Mechanicus, and the inner war that Techmarines might feel, adds depth to the Chapter and also a fair bit of flaw- which is good, as I'm sure you know. Perfection is boring.

The Illuminatus was a good find, thanks.

As with the Knights of the Raven... your Chapter and mine, even before they went renegade, would not be friends. Speaking of which... I'd be mighty pleased if you could give my IA a gander. I've changed some stuff and also polished things, but I know it will need more work. Particularly if I want it to be as awesome as yours.

In response to your long-ago post asking about titles... about all I've got so far is the Warden of the Lost, the Chaplain who took it upon himself to lead the burgeoning ranks of the Death Company after my Chapter fell from grace. I chose 'Warden' because it implies a duty and a burden, as taking on the mantle is a sort of penance for him... but that's getting into material I shouldn't divulge. Suffice to say someday there will be books.

I like the idea of your 'blunt' Librarians having null equipment. It highlights your Chapter's disdain for psykers, makes for a good contrast with other Librarium staff, and seems like the kind of thing knowledgeable members of your Chapter (Lexicanums and up, I suppose) would use, having the know-how required.

I'll hit the second and maybe third parts that I haven't read over the course of this week.

EDIT: Nevermind, apparently I've got better things to do than sleep.

I like how you've thought about serfs in such detail. Certainly made me think even more about them, I've been wanting to flesh them out but it's a hell of a daunting task.

The Truth War sounds very interesting. My eyes might have glazed over in the past dozen pages, so I apologize if I missed it, but what all happens?

Ah, the death of a parent Chapter. Poor Black Consuls. I think this sort of thing can make for interesting inter-Chapter relations, familial or no. It could have a lot of parallels to real life- when someone insults, hurts, or even kills someone you know or love, reactions occur. If a parent Chapter dies, yours might go pay its respects (and try to figure out what they get from the will and testament). My Chapter reacted rashly after the slaughter at Mackan- they're successors of the Blood Angels- and got mauled like a dog who's finally caught that car. What does yours do?

Edited by Imperialis_Dominatus

And, given their propensity to see light as a corrupter, is there some sort of ideological conflict in them when it comes to the moon? And the fact that their angels reside there?

Do they have a name for the sun as well?

They don't see light as a corrupter. One of the things I wanted to move away from was a Mortifactor-esque tendency to describe the inhabitants of dark/dim worlds as being squinty mole-men with an aversion to light. Indeed, Captain Sirius (the third Company Captain) has a starburst as his heraldry, seeing it as a potent analogy for the death and destruction the Space Marines can bring. After all, the Losancan legends say that the Emperor will bring the light back once all the mutants are killed.

I haven't come up with a name for the sun, no.

Awesome, I'd love to hear more about them.

I also found the 'Homeworld' section to be pivotal... in a different fashion. I agree that it is, however you use it, an important element; a lot of things project from it, particularly beliefs and combat doctrine.

To me, the Belief section is the most important of any DIY, and it's one of the most neglected. It's there where you can differentiate between Chapters. I don't care if you have BP+CCW or meltaguns out of the wazoo. What matters is why your Chapter fights, y'know?

EDIT: Nevermind, apparently I've got better things to do than sleep.

I like how you've thought about serfs in such detail. Certainly made me think even more about them, I've been wanting to flesh them out but it's a hell of a daunting task.

The Truth War sounds very interesting. My eyes might have glazed over in the past dozen pages, so I apologize if I missed it, but what all happens?

Don't forget that this thread is 2+ years old, and some of the things I've forgotten. Plus, my opinions on various things have shifted. It's sometiimes good to quote those posts in order to ensure I know what you're talking about! :P But still, I'm glad that the Castigators thread's given you some material to think about.

The Truth War is something I've not detailed properly, partially because my original idea for what instigated it was implausible. The basic gist is that the Castigators were on the verge of being excommunicated because of [something] - only the efforts (and ultimate sacrifice) of First-Captain Lycidius to uncover the truth led to the Castigators surviving. And whilst 90% of DIYs would hate the Inquisition and never go near them again... :wub: ...I decided that the Castigators have grown close to the Inquisition again in the intervening millennia.

Ah, the death of a parent Chapter. Poor Black Consuls. I think this sort of thing can make for interesting inter-Chapter relations, familial or no. It could have a lot of parallels to real life- when someone insults, hurts, or even kills someone you know or love, reactions occur. If a parent Chapter dies, yours might go pay its respects (and try to figure out what they get from the will and testament). My Chapter reacted rashly after the slaughter at Mackan- they're successors of the Blood Angels- and got mauled like a dog who's finally caught that car. What does yours do?

Well, I like to think that the Black Consuls have been given enough wiggle room to survive. The 'current status unknown' in the new Codex provides Black Consuls players with an 'out'. Still, I think the Castigators would've made every effort to uncover the truth and honour their parent-Chapter. A very solemn and sombre time for the Chapter, though.

And whilst 90% of DIYs would hate the Inquisition and never go near them again... ...I decided that the Castigators have grown close to the Inquisition again in the intervening millennia.

well, some kids just don't learn after sticking their finger in the electrical outlet,eh mol? just kiddin' man.

They don't see light as a corrupter. One of the things I wanted to move away from was a Mortifactor-esque tendency to describe the inhabitants of dark/dim worlds as being squinty mole-men with an aversion to light. Indeed, Captain Sirius (the third Company Captain) has a starburst as his heraldry, seeing it as a potent analogy for the death and destruction the Space Marines can bring. After all, the Losancan legends say that the Emperor will bring the light back once all the mutants are killed.

I haven't come up with a name for the sun, no.

My bad. I was a little sleep deprived. On review, I really like that idea- makes your nightsiders more distinct.

To me, the Belief section is the most important of any DIY, and it's one of the most neglected. It's there where you can differentiate between Chapters. I don't care if you have BP+CCW or meltaguns out of the wazoo. What matters is why your Chapter fights, y'know?

I wasn't saying that the Homeworld section was more important, simply that it is important and other sections, like beliefs, stem from it. But I agree.

Don't forget that this thread is 2+ years old, and some of the things I've forgotten. Plus, my opinions on various things have shifted. It's sometiimes good to quote those posts in order to ensure I know what you're talking about! :( But still, I'm glad that the Castigators thread's given you some material to think about.

I had a bunch of quotes... but then the net ate it and I couldn't be asked to go through all 28 pages again.

The Truth War is something I've not detailed properly, partially because my original idea for what instigated it was implausible. The basic gist is that the Castigators were on the verge of being excommunicated because of [something] - only the efforts (and ultimate sacrifice) of First-Captain Lycidius to uncover the truth led to the Castigators surviving. And whilst 90% of DIYs would hate the Inquisition and never go near them again... :D ...I decided that the Castigators have grown close to the Inquisition again in the intervening millennia.

Nice.

Well, I like to think that the Black Consuls have been given enough wiggle room to survive. The 'current status unknown' in the new Codex provides Black Consuls players with an 'out'. Still, I think the Castigators would've made every effort to uncover the truth and honour their parent-Chapter. A very solemn and sombre time for the Chapter, though.

True.

Sketched this today...

Cpt. Malus of the Castigators 9th Co.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Cpt_Tiberius/Malus_lr.jpg

As you can see he has seen better days. As you can see he has extensive bionics due to an exploding plasma cannon when he was a young devastator marine. While trying to hold back a tide of foul ork while his battle brothers retreated to or advantageous ground he was hit with a lucky rokkit attack. The foul Xenos weapon struck his Plasma Cannon causing a catastrophic explosion. His remaining squad mates battled their way to his prone form, expecting to find him dead, but not wanting to leave his precious wargear and geneseed behind. Instead they discovered that despite his grevious wounds he still clung tenaciously to life. Following the battle the chapter apothecaries were able to return him to fighting form, though the explosion had cost him his right arm, right leg, his right lung and part of his ribcage, and also his left hand.

Despite some of the more zealous members of the chapter and their feelings about augmetics, he endured and through tenacity, and sheer force of will advanced to the height of Company Captain. His years of experience in devastator squads gives him tremendous insight into the use of heavy firepower, and many has been the time where the precise application of his company's armament has swung the tide of battle in his chapter's favour.

In the picture you can see his favoured weapons, Foebreaker, a mastercrafted thunder mace, and his beloved stormbolter, Wrath of Heroes.

Hope you like it. :HQ:

-T.

Awesome drawing Tiberius. Malus looks like the bad-ass of the Castigators. (That's a hard choice too!) I really like his personal heraldry, the two cannons crossed with a skull overhead. It's much different than the rest and shows creative flavor. :tu:

thanks! I am glad you guys like him. I have been trying to find time to draw him for some time. But, alas, real life keeps getting in the way.

I will try and do a better drawing of his head when I get a chance. :D

-T.

Yay, Captain Malus! Because half the Castigators are twisted, emotionally-stunted and physically deformed cripples. :blush:

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Castigators/Malus-headshoulders.jpg

You know I like it, but thanks Tiberius. (One down, nine more to go...?) :D

Edited by Commissar Molotov

Seerbrun is a great artist, but he's taken a great deal of liberty with the Castigators he's drawn. He named his Chaplain 'Karakalla', which isn't even a Latin name, forcing me to come up with a long and torturous explanation of how Chaplain Coratus acquired such a monicker. Equally, he drew what he liked on the Captain. And that's his right - I don't want to take anything away from the huge favours he's done for me. But you can understand why I'm keen to keep creative control of the Castigators after experiences like that.

So you want the real reasons? It's because an artist decided to draw things with little understanding for how it would affect the fluff. If you want the fluff reason, Castigators are entitled to wear the Inquisitorial symbol as an honour marking on occasion. Marines that are seconded to the personal service of an Inquisitor, or who join the alien-hunting Deathwatch are entitled to display Inquisitorial symbols upon their armour when they return to their chapter. As for the wreath of thorns, he would've been assigned it for ar act of extreme valour that directly contributed to an Imperial victory. Caphius has such a long history of service that he could've received it at any time. Bluntly stated, I'm not going to make up battles on the spot to cover up the fact that I haven't detailed it. As stated, Caphius was meant to be a background character. A hugely influential and important background character, but just a background character. The Second Company is featuring in my Castigators fiction, Machinery of Hate.

Karakalla is a latin name, in a sense. Its modeled after Caracalla, who was an Emperor of Rome (who just happened to be an angry person too, killing his brother and trying to erase him from history). I prefer K's, as they are unambiguous with regards to pronunciation. I was just looking through the thread here to see what was going on with the Castigators while I haven't been looking, but unfortunately, it seems that I only discovered that I was making things harder. It makes me 'lol' and cry at the same time. Sad panda.

In other notes, I would be willing to host the old Castigator site. Perhaps if it was up, when I do decide to draw Castigators (as I might again in the future), I might stand a better chance at doing so without flubbing stuff up.

Karakalla is a latin name, in a sense. Its modeled after Caracalla, who was an Emperor of Rome (who just happened to be an angry person too, killing his brother and trying to erase him from history). I prefer K's, as they are unambiguous with regards to pronunciation. I was just looking through the thread here to see what was going on with the Castigators while I haven't been looking, but unfortunately, it seems that I only discovered that I was making things harder. It makes me 'lol' and cry at the same time. Sad panda.

In other notes, I would be willing to host the old Castigator site. Perhaps if it was up, when I do decide to draw Castigators (as I might again in the future), I might stand a better chance at doing so without flubbing stuff up.

Hey, Brun. It's good to hear from you! We haven't heard much since your fire. I hope you're doing well.

I didn't realise you'd renamed Caracalla - that explains why my google searches never really came up with anything worthwhile. The explanation I came up with was that during the War of Woe (where the Castigators sustained heavy casualties) the Space Sharks that fought alongside the Castigators named him 'Karakalla', the Tethyian word for 'Heavy-Hearted', such was his sorrow at the deaths of his Brothers. With the Crux Terminatus that you'd drawn him with, I had Karakalla as the First Company Chaplain, making Renatus Master of Sanctity. So whilst it was an initial hardship, it resulted in a nifty bit of fluff and a greater understanding of the Chapter.

Equally, your drawings informed my understanding of Caphius/Lycidius to a great extent, and the character wouldn't be who he was without them. I can understand how annoying it'd have been if I'd been weighing you down, telling you what had to be on every single shoulderpad or armour-plate. So I don't begrudge you at all! If worse comes to worse, I can adopt a policy roughly similar to that of a Black Library continuity editor - it's simply 'your interpretation' of Caphius - Brother Varen likely won't model Caphius exactly the same, so that's 'his interpretation'. At the end of the day, I'm fortunate to have created a Chapter that sparks peoples' creativity and gives them enjoyment. :)

The point I was really trying to convey to Varen was that I just didn't know every detail of Caphius's life, and that I hadn't informed the details you'd added on to him.

As to the old Castigators site, it was deleted without me having a chance to back up my data (a terrible host, IMHO) and so I had to start over from scratch. At the moment I can't afford the domain, hosting or even to pay the web designer - so castigators.com might be delayed a while. (Student life sucks!) That said, I hope to have it online by January 2009.

At the request of Varen, I've been working on Castigator timelines. In an effort to not go insane, and inspired by the latest Space Marine codex, I've encompassed a period between 749-999.M41. That 250-year period allows us to look at more recent events, and it focuses on contemporary characters who are still alive. This is not exhaustive, and indeed needs a lot of work from all of us, but it's definitely a start.

I've moved around, edited and changed a number of events that've been submitted by Ferrus and Darth in an attempt to make them more cohesive.

Castigators Timeline, 749-999.M41
YearNotes749.M41The War for Sadizar IX: At the behest of Inquisitor Krymlic, the Castigators exterminate a heretical cult on the hive-world of Sadizar IX. It is eventually discovered that a Tyranid Broodlord had infected the hive. Two squads of the First Company's Terminators, are deployed into the underhive. The Chapter fights terrifying battles in cramped tunnels, accessways, vents and ducts but emerges victorious.797.M41Death of Third Company Captain YYYYYY. XXXXX becomes Captain.815.M41Death of Fifth Company Captain Midian. Escalus becomes Captain.845.M41Death of Third Company Captain XXXXX. Sirius becomes Captain.856.M41The Belaxalar Xenocide: The world of Belax was stark, with an atmosphere high in gaseous ammonia and low in oxygen. Elaborate crystalline cities dominated the landscape, inhabited by the Belax, a young and belligerent race with advanced technologies. The Belax utilised birthing chambers, fluid-filled tanks that could hasten the development of the young. The technology had even been used to improve upon their anatomy, breeding warriors with armour plates, poison sacs, spiked knuckles and other such martial modifications. Vicious wars between the nation-states of Belax were not uncommon; indeed the only thing capable of uniting the disparate peoples of the Belaxalar would be an Imperial invasion.

Captain Caphius, at the behest of Chapter Master Avitus, conducted a Xenocidal campaign against Belax so that the Adeptus Mechanicus could conduct mining operations upon it. The Second Company fought a ferocious war against the Belax, before emerging victorious. By the time the Second Company left Belaxalar, all of the Belax had been utterly wiped out. The Adeptus Mechanicus abandoned the world less than a decade later, after finding that the ore extracted from the planet was not of sufficient quality to merit excavation.

899.M41Death of Avitus: Chapter Master Avitus is killed in battle. Before he dies, he names First-Captain Quintilius as his successor. 4th Company Captain Ostorius becomes First-Captain, Timon becomes Fourth Company Captain.900.M41The Garrett Insurrection: The entire Chapter mobilises to prevent the Word Bearers from activating an infernal device as the 'Eternal Engine'. Ancient Constantine unfurls the Crimson Standard of the Castigators and the Master's Household deploys into the fray. The Castigators, holding true to the Emperor's light, descend upon the Word Bearers, determined to punish them for their blackest heresies. After a week of fierce fighting, the Third Company stand ready to assault a breach in the enemy lines. Chapter Master Quintilius orders Constantine and a portion of his Honour Guard to fight at their head. He decrees that the battle would be won when the Crimson Standard is planted atop the broken bodies of the Word Bearers.

The breach was a swirling maelstrom, a seething press of bodies. Blood was a fine mist in the air, split only by the sound of blade against blade and the screams of the dying. Casualties on both sides were high, but the Castigators would not relent until they achieved victory. Ancient Constantine was wounded many times before succumbing. Blood poured from his injuries; it was clear that although he was grieviously hurt he would not give up. Raising the standard high, he roared his defiance and led the renewed assault. The Castigators fought determinedly against the Word Bearers, eventually achieving their victory. As Constantine lay dying, he passed the standard into the hands of Rhetoricus, one of his Honour Guardians. Rhetoricus was installed as the Chapter's Ancient, embodying millennia of unbroken tradition. Many of the Chapter's most dedicated and devout have borne the Crimson Standard into battle, through death, destruction and despair upon a thousand worlds. To the Castigators, it is a point of pride that the standard has never fallen to the ground, passing directly from one warrior to another.

The pride the Castigators took in thwarting the Word Bearers was far greater than it could've been against any other force. No Space Marine ever feels so alive as standing victorious over their fallen Brothers, and the enmity between the Castigators and the Word Bearers is great indeed.

923.M41Death of First-Captain Ostorius. Fifth Company Captain Escalus becomes First-Captain, Cascarus becomes Fifth Company Captain.939.M41The Zarath Strand Reprisals: The Fourth Company aids the Thousand Swords and the Judicators in crippling two Ork Waaagh!s threatening a vital Imperial shipping route. In a ferocious boarding action, the Castigators dispatch Warboss Grimskar. The Castigators withdraw, leaving the Thousand Swords to eradicate the last vestiges of Ork resistance.985.M41: Warboss Duffdreg da Destroya rises to prominence among several Ork clans within the Howling Stars. Duffdreg is distinctive in that he is an albino - the primitive xenos believe that his white skin marks him out as the chosen of their Gods, and unite behind his singularly bellicose vision. Rallying his forces, entire worlds fall in a few short weeks. The Castigators move quickly to halt the Ork threat. The Second Company fought valiantly, scoring victory after victory. The Ork forces retaliated, bringing their full force to bear. The Second Company advanced on Duffdreg's forces, combat-squads using their flamers to scour the aliens from defending positions before closing into combat. Few of the Company emerged unscathed from the campaign. Caphius himself was grievously wounded, but refused to allow the Apothecaries to tend to him whilst the xenos forces still posed a threat to the citizens of the Imperium. The Warboss managed to elude the Castigators, escaping into the warp. All the same, however, his assault upon the Howling Stars was over, and that was considered victory enough. Still, the Chapter would swear fell oaths of vengeance against Duffdreg, determined to crush him should their paths cross again.987.M41The War of Woe: To avenge the losses eighty years earlier, a force of Word Bearers under the command of a Dark Apostle known only as 'The Father' engineers a plot to trap and destroy the Castigators. The Fifth Company suffers heavy losses, including the death of Captain Cascarus, but with the aid of the Space Sharks, the newly-installed Captain Anteas is able to thwart the Word Bearers. Believing that the Father wishes to recreate the Eternal Engine, the Fifth Company fights against a daemonic incursion to avenge the fallen - only to find that the Apostle only intended to inflict heavy casualties on the Castigators and mire the Fifth Company whilst a heavy raid was conducted by the Black Legion against the planet of Vatrax.989.M41Commander Quickblood: Acting in conjunction with the Ordo Xenos and a strike-force of the Deathwatch, the Fourth Company under Captain Timon strikes at Tau space. They are opposed by Shas'O Tash'var Raal, known as Commander Quickblood.990.M41The Achenite Apostasy: Fifth Company thwart a heretic insurgency on the world of Achenar. Assault Sergeant Atellus executes the Planetary Governor and finds out that under ancient laws, he had become his inadvertent successor. Atellus quickly abdicates his position, though his Brothers are sure not to forget his acute embarassment.992.M41The Second Tyrannic War: Hive Fleet Kraken // Captain Sirius focuses his attentions upon on the Tyranid menace, a continuation of the Third Company's prior actions against Genestealer cults within the Howling Stars.994.M41
  • The Oubliette: The Third and Fifth Companies fight in the defense of an Inquisitorial citadel besieged by a splinter of the Iron Warriors legion engage led by Warsmith Ares Vrolok. Cast out from the Iron Warriors, Vrolok had fought for ten thousand years to further his own aims, leading those loyal to him on a rampage across many worlds, gathering renegade Marines to his cause. Vrolok attached and besieged the Inquisitorial Fortress-world of Tynax after hearing rumours that precious STC fragments had been recovered by the Inquisition. An avid technophile, Vrolok was determined to have the fragments for himself, and assaulted Tynax. The Fortress was defended by a small contingent of Adepta Sororitas, attached to the personal retinue of Inquisitor Lord -------.

The Castigators' Third Company assaulted the Iron Warriors in an effort to delay the traitor Marines. Whilst battle raged, elements of the Fifth Company helped organise a rapid evacuation of the Fortress, ferrying the STC fragments to safety. The Techmarines hastily rigged charges within the fortress, designed to annihilate intruders. The Castigators retreated as soon as the relics were safe - the Captains knowing that the Space Marines would only dash themselves to pieces if they resisted the Iron Warriors for too long. After the battle, Captain Anteas received the Sword of Sorrows from a Canoness of the Adepta Sororitas.

• The Fifth Company is blown off course after departing Tynax, and put in at Karthagot Nova for repairs, becoming the first Castigators in millennia to visit the Thousand Swords' homeworld. While there, they are invited by Chapter Master Zeuxis to join in the extermination of a Dark Eldar kabal.

995.M41The War for Maethax: The Second and Fifth Companies engage Word Bearers on Maethax, a densely populated world in the northern reaches of the Ultima Segmentum. A dark and troubled world, Maethax's numerous manufactora produced weapons and other materiel for local Imperial Guard forces. When the Castigators received news of an armed insurgency on Maethax, they dispatched the second and fifth companies to respond. If the production centres of Maethax were disrupted, forces for sectors around would be compromised. When scouts uncovered evidence that the Word Bearers were involved, the campaign became even more vital to the Castigators. This marked the third time in a century that The Father had assaulted the Castigators in order to further his own inscrutable aims.

After a ferocious six-month campaign, the Castigators were triumphant. The battles on Maethax had been bloody; the Fifth Company participated in bloody street-fighting to recapture the city of Bacchat. Bacchat was a dismal place, blanketed by the roar of machinery and sporadic showers of acid rain; nevertheless, it was a vital strategic point, and the Castigators fought mercilessly to reclaim it - an attitude that won them the campaign. At the height of the campaign, Captain Anteas avenged the death of Cascarus by killing the Father. After the battles for Maethax, the second and fifth companies returned to Losanco triumphant. Having dealt the heretic sons of Lorgar a blow that would surely be felt within the Eye of Terror itself, Captains Caphius and Anteas were lauded for their strategic acumen, and began the process of rebuilding their Companies from the reserves.

997.M41
  • The Pursuit of Melchor: Anteas and the Fifth Company attempt to hunt down the Black Legionnaires that raided Vatrax. Pursuing Melchor to a desolate world within the Tau Empire, Anteas was unable to prevent Melchor descending into a subterranean crypt and retrieving a daemon-axe known as Soulrender. The Fifth Company is forced to retreat in the face of overwhelming Tau forces, and leaves the traitors and the xenos to do battle.
  • The Undertaking to Sirroij: Master Quintilius dispatches the Third Company to the world of Sirroij after the Castigators receive word that the planet's promethium miners had lain down their tools. The Castigators had somewhat of a stake in Sirroij - the planet's mines provided the Chapter with much of its promethium requirements. Industrial disputes on Sirroij could compromise the Castigators' ability to wage war. Captain Ramus, the Chapter's Chief Victualler, was tasked with resolving the Sirroij by any means necessary. To achieve those ends, the Third Company and Captain Sirius were to support him.

998.M41The Fourth Company is lured back to Tau space, where Shas'O Tash'var He'yth Mont'da R'myr - Commander Darkspear - attempts to avenge the death of his mentor, Commander Quickblood.999.M41The End Times:

-----------------

Now, something to work out. I said in a previous post to Varen that Caphius has been Second Company Captain for anything up to 300 years. Quintilius becomes Chapter Master in 899.M41 at the death of Avitus. At that time, he's First-Captain and Caphius is Second Company Captain. In 999.M41, a century later, Escalus is First-Captain and Caphius is still Second Company Captain. Where did Escalus come from? We have to assume he was another Battle Company Captain, chosen by Quintilius in an effort to thwart Caphius's promotion to First-Captain.

899.M41 - Avitus (Chapter Master), Quintilius (First-Captain), Caphius (Second Company Captain), Escalus (unknown.)

900.M41 - Quintilius (Chapter Master), Unknown First-Captain, Caphius (Second Company Captain), Escalus (unknown.)

999.M41 - Quintilius (Chapter Master), Escalus (First-Captain), Caphius (Second Company Captain)

The thing is, whilst I'd figured Quintilius and Caphius were roughly the same age (with Quntilius being perhaps younger than Caphius), I always figured that Escalus was substantially younger than Caphius and Sirius - though older than Timon and Anteas. Which is leading me to suspect that between Quintilius and Escalus, there's been another First-Captain. That must be all the more galling for Caphius, to have watched at least three other Marines (Quintilius, our mysterious new First-Captain who needs a name and Escalus) all take the position of First-Captain whilst he remains Second Company Captain. I find Caphius a very interesting character in that sense. There's a Captain in the Apocalypse book who was denied election to Chapter Master, so he took most of his Company and went traitor. Caphius would never do that, but he's stewingas Captain of the Second. He wants to be like Lycidius, to exceed Lycidius, but he's an imperfect reflection of his hero. I did write at one bit that Quintilius particularly likes Timon (going so far as to award him stewardship of the Chastener) and is potentially grooming him as a future Chapter Master, which perhaps even means that if Quintilius died and Escalus became master, Timon might become First-Captain!

The thing, of course, is that Caphius would be a terrible Chapter Master. He's too much of a zealot, and would endanger the carefully-brokered pacts the Castigators enjoy with the Adeptus Mechanicus, the Adeptus Astra Telepathica and the Navis Nobilite. Of course, it doesn't stop him coveting the position...

What I'd like to do, then, is to work out the dates and ages for the Captains of the Castigators (specifically the Battle-Company Captains) so we can work out what's happened. And then we need to work out which Company Escalus came from, as well as the mysterious First-Captain between Quintilius and Escalus.

Food for thought!

Well could he have come from the 5th? Anteas is a new captain, correct? Maybe Escalus was his predecessor? As for the mystery captain, How about Ostorius? it's the middle name of the first Praetorian chosen by Augustus, and he was later Prefect of Egypt.

-T.

(dang, just realized that's ANOTHER captain I have to draw...sigh, no rest for the wicked. :P)

Anteas became Captain in 987.M41 upon the death of Cascarus, though Cascarus could've come after Escalus.

So in 899.M41, Quintilius becomes Chapter Master, and appoints Ostorius as First-Captain from the Third, Fourth or Fifth Company. Upon the death of Ostorius (who must've had a relatively short reign as First-Captain), Escalus is taken from...

I think it partly depends on how long Timon, Sirius and Cascarus had been Captains. I like Escalus coming from the Fifth. It works with Cascarus and Anteas both being relatively young, dynamic, vibrant Captains. It somewhat ties in with my thoughts that Caphius might dislike the Fifth Company, seeing it as a historical hotbed of radicalism and 'moderate thinking'. I seem to recall that Darth had suggested Sirius being around 270 in 999, meaning he'd have been born around 729ish. If we assume he was at least 100 before becoming Captain, then that's 829... either way, if we want him to be the second-oldest Captain after Caphius, then Ostorius must've come from the Fourth Company. Of course, the later Ostorius dies and Escalus takes up the mantle of First-Captain, the less time Timon's been in the job, and I thought of him as quite a comfortable, middle-aged Captain, au fait with the role of Master of the Fleet. As a result, I'd probably have Ostorius die in the 920s, with Escalus becoming First-Captain, and Timon then having been a Captain for at least 70 years.

As of 999.M41, Anteas will've only have been a Captain for 12 years, Timon for 100, Sirius for 170 (at the moment) and then Caphius for anything up to 300. That makes the turnover rate seem not so bad! (I haven't even started on the Reserve Companies! Oh my!)

But yes, we need to try to clarify some ages so we can get set on locking this timeline down. :P

Chapter Masters of the Castigators, 749-999.M41
NameFromToNotesQuintilius899.M41999.M41Current Chapter MasterAvitus???.M41899.M41None at present

First Company Captains of the Castigators, 749-999.M41
NameFromToNotesEscalus923.M41999.M41Current First-CaptainOstorius899.M41923.M41KIAQuintilius---.M41899.M41Became Chapter Master upon death of Avitus

Second Company Captains of the Castigators, 749-999.M41
NameFromToNotesCaphius---.M41999.M41Current Captain

Third Company Captains of the Castigators, 749-999.M41
NameFromToNotesSirius845.M41999.M41Current CaptainCaranatus797.M41845.M41KIATyranus---.M41797.M41KIA

Fourth Company Captains of the Castigators, 749-999.M41
NameFromToNotesTimon899.M41999.M41Current CaptainOstorius???.M41899.M41Became First-Captain in 899.M41

Fifth Company Captains of the Castigators, 749-999.M41
NameFromToNotesAnteas987.M41999.M41Current CaptainCascarus923.M41987.M41Killed by Word Bearers, 987.M41Escalus---.M41923.M41Became First-Captain in 923.M41Midian---.M41---.M41Interred within Dreadnought, ---.M41

Two more things for the timeline. The dates are my own best guesses, so feel free to change them (or any of the details) as you see fit. It's not like it's going to conflict with any of my stuff. :huh:

952~ XXth Company fights alongside the Thousand Swords 2nd Company to defeat the Daemon Lord Urvog the Nauseating, with the Thousand Swords suffering heavy casualties to allow Captain Y time to close Urvog's warp rift and stem the invasion. Before parting ways, Captains Xharp and Y exchange honours, Y receiving the Golden Hand and Xharp the Crown of Thorns.

994~ The Fifth Company is blown off course after departing Tynax, and put in at Karthagot Nova for repairs, becoming the first Castigators in millennia to visit the Thousand Swords' homeworld. While there, they are invited by Chapter Master Zeuxis to join in the extermination of a Dark Eldar kabal.

Third Company Captains of the Castigators, 749-999.M41
NameFromToNotesSirius845.M41999.M41Current CaptainCaranatus797.M41845.M41KIATyranus---.M41797.M41KIA

I’ve decided that Sirius’s predecessor will be named Caranatus. He was young when first elected to serve as the Third’s commander in 797.M41, and only did so for a minor period as Captain. His death occurred on the world of ----- in the beginning of 845.M41. (I’ll need to detail this much more, as you can see) Sirius is then appointed Captain of the Lightbringers in 845.M41. This shows Caranatus as a Captain for only forty-eight standard Imperial years. Tyranus would have led the third company elements that partook in the campaign on Sadizar IX. I’ll need to come up with some background for him as well.

As you can see I’ve decided that Sirius was born in the year of 739.M41. He then works his way up the ranks in the Chapter for 116 years until he is selected to become the leader of the Third in 845.M41. So he’s 260 years old, and has been a Battle-Company Captain for 154 years.