I vote heavy flamer. All a "heavy" flamer is is MORE FLAME then a normal flamer. (Higher str, and lower AP) I think they would work perfect, and if I can get my hands on some of those same bits, ill use them for my Sternguard H.Flamers

I vote heavy flamer. All a "heavy" flamer is is MORE FLAME then a normal flamer. (Higher str, and lower AP) I think they would work perfect, and if I can get my hands on some of those same bits, ill use them for my Sternguard H.Flamers

Most of the more interesting bitz for my Deathwatch came from the Blood Angels Death Company box (different arms for weapons, running legs, more interesting chest plates etc. and had the BA iconography filed off or otherwise hidden. If you look, you can still see some of the rope X's and whatnot, but those look cool.

The Blood Angels range has some brilliant conversion opportunities. I plan on incorporating Sanguinary Guard jump packs onto my Grey Knight teleport units because the teleport units look lame and the idea of "Silver Angels" appeals.

Also, paint the feathers black and give them to some Night Lords Raptors. >B)

In all honesty, sharing this stuff does make me want to do more, but not thinking that anyone is watching is a little disheartening. Come on, if you look, please show a little love. Thanks to all of you that have, the feedback keeps me going!

Thanks!

I have [almost] completed the first three members of the Deathwatch. I just need a new micron-pen for the script and some minor black lining and I'm done.

I used Adeptus Battlegrey for a very subtle highlight, to the same level of contrast as my yellow on the Fists. I prefer it to the super sharp highlights, especially on black. While I like it on my Grey Knights, I just like the more subdued tone here. No offense to those than love the contrast, I've seen it done spectacularly well, it's just not for me. :-)

First, there is the Raven Guard, who I'm most happy with of the three of them. The reason for his apothecary bottles? Science. Raven Guard have always struck me as a bit into research.
22690717976_0935a5e8be_b.jpg

Then the Space Wolf, whose shoulder pad shows its age very quickly. Raised detail it not always good detail.
22690713556_2b29a10ff7_b.jpg

And finally, the Red Scorpion, who I quite like.
22528791040_62da0debc2_b.jpg

The white chest detail will be an ongoing theme where it can be incorporated, I think it stands out and contrasts very well, and the red weapons really pop. I'm very happy overall with them.

Of course, the obligatory group shot and a shot of the shoulder pads.

22727914721_ac98222e3a_b.jpg

22690725786_ef9bcd7785_z.jpg

So - What say you, brothers?

Edited by Inquisitor Engel

The Blood Angels range has some brilliant conversion opportunities. I plan on incorporating Sanguinary Guard jump packs onto my Grey Knight teleport units because the teleport units look lame and the idea of "Silver Angels" appeals.

I just ordered my part for the same idea. I had tested a pentagram design on the bace with no luck in coolness, so great minds must think alike...then again I think anyone who likes GK's hates the packs for interceptors...

regarding your DW, i would, if you have the time and the skills to either wash or high light the letters on the DW shoulder pad with a brighter silver to make them stand out a bit more. you should also consider trying to get the hand and arm of the DW marine with the chain sword to have different tones of metal: the hilt of the chain sword looks like it's the same as the arm. In fact i would use the same silver/metal tone of the DW pad/arm on the chest icons as well to maintain balance of color on your models but only if you can make the sliver/dw metal stand out from the gunmetal/weapon parts.

My personal opinion is counter to fluffy regarding the trim on the RIGHT should pad, I've never thought that metal/silver was proper and that it should always be the same black as the rest of the armor.

Great to see this resumed. Good looking minis as usual there Engel ;)

A couple of questions for ya.

- Any updates on the Pugh conversion?

- How do you paint your red cloaks/tabards?

Cheers

- T14

After read this whole thing i love your painting only thing was on your banner i saw you have soul drinkers symbol on there too i thought they where dubbed heretics and was wondering why you chose to add there symbol to the banner.

After read this whole thing i love your painting only thing was on your banner i saw you have soul drinkers symbol on there too i thought they where dubbed heretics and was wondering why you chose to add there symbol to the banner.

I thought three looked better. :(

That said, there's been no further information on the Soul Drinkers after the most recent novel, which ends with them being taken into custody by Lysander. They could be made to go on a penitent crusade or other such actions. That said, it's still part of their history.

regarding your DW, i would, if you have the time and the skills to either wash or high light the letters on the DW shoulder pad with a brighter silver to make them stand out a bit more.

They've been washed and drybrushed and washed again, unfortunately with many of the older metal shoulder pads, the detail isn't quite as crisp as I would like. I'll be re-washing with Badab Black again with a fine detail brush once I've brushed up a bit more.

In fact i would use the same silver/metal tone of the DW pad/arm on the chest icons as well to maintain balance of color on your models but only if you can make the sliver/dw metal stand out from the gunmetal/weapon parts.

Originally they were. I found that much metal to be... unappealing. The silver harmonizes with the black, the white contrasts it. I'm all about making things pop and the white does that. :)

My personal opinion is counter to fluffy regarding the trim on the RIGHT should pad, I've never thought that metal/silver was proper and that it should always be the same black as the rest of the armor.

I think it looks very odd, especially on the Red Scorpion. I've considered it, but it's per Codex and... sometimes I'm like that.

Great to see this resumed. Good looking minis as usual there Engel :)

Thanks! :)

- Any updates on the Pugh conversion?

None yet, I'm getting back up to par with these Deathwatch (black is more forgiving than yellow!) and then some more Imperial Fists before FINALLY doing Pugh...

- How do you paint your red cloaks/tabards?

Red Gore base followed by a black wash then a red wash. Then I highlight up with a mix of red wash and Blood Red, slowly decreasing the amount of ink and occasionally throwing some Black wash on deeper recesses. The final highlight is pure Blood Red.

It's fairly quick and it looks great - it's given me enough confidence in my red to do my Eldar as Saim-Hann when I'm done with the Fists (and Grey Knights... and Night Lords....)

• 2 weeks later...

Ladies and gentleman, a quick update.

This is the Chapterhouse Studios Howling Griffon shoulder pad.

It. Is. Exquisite.

22716727045_d1dc987d83.jpg

The detail is phenomenal. If I'd have had this before I started the Fists, they'd be quartered and sprayed!

I also love the squareness of the quarters. I was tempted to go all yellow or all red, given HG colour scheme but IA9 came to the rescue with the night-world Howling Griffons. Since the armour IS all black, I figured he'd like to keep his true panoply on display. :wink:

• 4 weeks later...

I say come on baby, do the locomotion with me.

Go-go Marines. Love it.

Ha!

It's time for some more Deathwatch!

Group shot of the Deathwatch I've already finished:

22727922391_fbb705d66b_z.jpg

The Howling Griffon -

22093985614_883e0f3519_z.jpg

The Ultramarine -

22690735236_607b1739a4_z.jpg[

The Iron Snake -

22095590813_d919611bde_z.jpg

The Blood Angel still needs a bit of green stuff in his wrist, but I'm very pleased with his shoulder pad -

22095596843_43e507b0a4_z.jpg

The Blackshield -

22528801850_6c81294ae3_z.jpg

The Angel of Absolution (decal to be applied later) -

22727931011_c67e887ed4_z.jpg

The Captain - Still WIP. He was going be a Lamenter, but now I think the black and white will be too much of the same, so I'm looking for a really striking, unique Chapter to make him, preferable with a bright colour, to contrast. 22095593843_3710d13d95_z.jpg

That's all for now folks. The next update will include a proper Imperial Fist. I promise. :smile:

The Captain - Still WIP. He was going be a Lamenter, but now I think the black and white will be too much of the same, so I'm looking for a really striking, unique Chapter to make him, preferable with a bright colour, to contrast. Thoughts?

Sons of Medusa?

Awesome Death Watch! With that sword the Captain would look great as a Black Templar or Storm Warden... I know the BL doesn't fit your 'Bright contrast' plan but it would be fitting.

How about making the captain... a White Scar? Plenty of WS shoulder pads knocking about on ebay. <_<

Not a bad idea - I feel that since the Space Wolf has a lot of 'wolfy' things, the Captain would have some things that allude to White Scars and he... doesn't. However, it's definitely a good, contrasty suggestion.

Sons of Medusa?

Bright green. Not a bad idea. I will mull it over.

Awesome Death Watch! With that sword the Captain would look great as a Black Templar or Storm Warden... I know the BL doesn't fit your 'Bright contrast' plan but it would be fitting.

The Storm Warden Silver shouldpad is cool, but I think it matches the Deathwatch shoulder pad a little too much.

Thanks for the compliments and ideas. I'll mull them over. ;)

Be strange. I vote for the Angels of Fire.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/2/22/Angels_of_Fire_Marine.jpg

Chapter Symbol

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/8/88/Angels_of_Fire_Pad.jpg

Be strange. I vote for the Angels of Fire.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/2/22/Angels_of_Fire_Marine.jpg

Chapter Symbol

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/8/88/Angels_of_Fire_Pad.jpg

I also vote for the Angels of Fire, I've always wanted to make some but I can't paint flames at all.

what about making your capt a doom eagle or a silver skull marine? or you could nab from my avatar and do a capt from the Invaders chapter (plug plug plug)

The Invaders is an idea, but both the Silver Skulls and Doom Eagles are silver/gunmetal, which I feel is too close to the Deathwatch arm on the other side. I do love the Doom Eagles Chapter symbol though.

Scythes of the Emperor could use some loving.

I would so do this if their background colour wasn't black. :D Perhaps I can make that Blackshield a Sycthe of the Emperor.... I think I might.