Settling in to the new job (which requires lots of playing of video games and playing on the Internet, gasp!)

:)

Envy... rising... :P

Anyhoo, I'd love to see your take on old Vladimir Pugh.

• 6 months later...

The blog! It lives yet!

Just a quick update - Due to Mass Effect (all three, back to back, same character...) getting in the way and having a wedding to pay for, much of my modeling time went down the drain, but I did get some vacation days this week to at least catch up a little. I did some minor colours on the whirlwind and did some spraying for the Vindicator dozer blade! Hurrah!

22691196166_48372601bf_z.jpg

It's a small image, but hopefully it gets the point across. I felt yellow and black hazard stripes were a) redundant and :cool: a little too Iron Warriors. Red was an option, but I think this white and black stands out and is extremely striking. I've still got to touch up and whatnot, but I've quite pleased with the chevrons themselves - Good practice for my eventual Saim-Hann vehicles!

Edited by Inquisitor Engel

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the support guys! :smile:

Well, I'm not ENTIRELY sure why I can't get my whites balanced currently, so these shots of my completed whirlwind and [almost] finished vindicator. The actual colour is the same as the Land Raider (well, a little different, the switched to the new paints made things a little different)

22529272010_f4e808e6c5_z.jpg

I have a penchant for naming whirlwinds "His Wrath" and this one is no different. My signature also adorns the front next to the devotional script.

22728391851_9a2601dde5_z.jpg

I need a soft sponge to do a bit of weathering, just towards the bottom of the blade. Again, I tend to prefer things more clean looking, but I'm sure the dozer blade is going to have SOME stuff they just can't get off...

Anyway, now these are done, I have 2 Honour Guard, Vladimir Pugh, a librarian, a 5-man devastator squad and a predator to finish this arm up! I managed to get ahold of a spare banner from the 25th Anniversary mini, so that will need to be give to... well someone. Anyway, things are coming together - It's only taken me AN ENTIRE EDITION OF THE GAME to get to this point.

This means my Eldar should be done sometime in 2016. My Night Lords? Who knows. Hopefully with a decent Night Lords Horus Heresy novel a dedicated workspace will speed that up...

(well, a little different, the switched to the new paints made things a little different)

And how do you paint them now (if you don't mind sharing)? The yellow looks really good.

I really like that Whirlwind (such a rarity these days) and the Vindicator looks good too ;)

Ludovic

• 2 weeks later...
And how do you paint them now (if you don't mind sharing)? The yellow looks really good.

Not too different from before. Basically, I cheat. :wink:

• Spray Tamiya Camel Yellow (for polycarbonate, oddly enough) over unprimed model. This can take SEVERAL, VERY light coats as it can slide over the plastic, but white and black undercoats didn't get the desired effect.
  • Spray with purity seal, testors dullcoat, matte finish whatever, otherwise further layers of paint just slide off.
  • Selective wash of equal-parts Gryphonne Sepia, Devlad Mud and water. I put it in gaps, greaves and anywhere I want there to be the appearance of shadow.
  • VERY light drybrush of golden yellow to bring the colour up. Depending on your drybrushing, this may take a couple of coats to get the desired colour. I assume now you'd use Yriel Yellow, which seems fine on highlighted points. (See next step) Luckily I drybrushed everything I'd need to be yellow some time ago.
  • Do metal/shoulders/Aquila as desired. I do bright red with a black wash.
  • Use straight golden yellow/Yriel Yellow for a highlight.

Yriel Yellow seems to cover MUCH better than Golden Yellow used to, and with a lot less green to the thinner layers. Overall I'm pleased with the switch, but haven't had to drybrush a model up to par yet. We'll see how it goes when I get to my remaining honour guard...

I really like that Whirlwind (such a rarity these days) and the Vindicator looks good too :thumbsup:

Thanks! I've loved Whirlwinds since 2nd Edition! I always hope they'll make a comeback in rules... They do nicely against Nids still though.

Forge World put up the 6th Ed updates for Sevrin Loth. He's sat on my shelf for about 18 months and after seeing his new rules, it was time to get painting! This is the most work I've put into a model in two days, but I'm pleased with how he's turning out.

22096058233_b3b72f3c43_z.jpg

The raised detail on his cloth is a pain to paint cleanly, but I'll keep on it, otherwise I'm very pleased with how he's turning out. He'll be playing the role of Franz Grenstein of the Imperial Fists. Since Loth's rules just say "Force Weapon" and I've since used his axe elsewhere, he received a stave, mainly because I think it looks cool.

• 2 weeks later...

Right, other than getting a very small Imperial Fist decal to go inside the shoulder-pad Aquila, Chief Librarian Franz Grenstein of the Imperial Fists Librarius is done! I'm absolutely thrilled with the blue, came out perfectly. He still needs to be sealed (after the decal) so please forgive the shiny-ness. :smile:

http://i.imgur.com/MZO9TRw.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/MljwEp4.jpg

And since I can't abide backpacks with banners, he received a Grey Knight backpack.

I've also decided to abandon my current Helbrecht-based Pugh conversion. I've ordered Astarion Moloc from Forge World and will be converting him. He may well lose the dual Thunder-hammers, but I think it's a win in the end.

call me crazy but I seem to recall a lot of discussion on the internet if the picture in c:sm of the chapter master entry, depicting a marine dual wielding thunderhammers was vladimir pugh or not. That said, it's your model, go nuts.

Is the stormbolter the way to go from a tabletop perspective? one more shot at range is kind of mediocre. Wouldn't a combi weapon potentially bring more to the table?

call me crazy but I seem to recall a lot of discussion on the internet if the picture in c:sm of the chapter master entry, depicting a marine dual wielding thunderhammers was vladimir pugh or not. That said, it's your model, go nuts.

Yeah, that was the original model but based on what we know about Pugh from the novels, it's not really his style. He's a methodical planner, quiet and not given to rousing speeches, but he still leads from the front. I think this model captures that a lot better than my previous effort:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/britboyinTx/_MG_4764.jpg

He's a little meh compared to the patience and more judicious choices in converting. :P Sometimes, less is more.

I like to think of the one in the Codex as a more bombastic previous Chapter Master. I daresay if they ever do move the IF background forwards though, Lysander will most assuredly be named Chapter Master.

Is the stormbolter the way to go from a tabletop perspective? one more shot at range is kind of mediocre. Wouldn't a combi weapon potentially bring more to the table?

Probably. ;) it's still definitely a possibility, I have to decide if I even like that position, as the Tartaros Pattern storm bolters are much longer than other ones and I think sets the balance off a little. We'll see.

While some more parts for Pugh come in though, I can do some work on the last members of the Honour Guard.

http://i.imgur.com/lRKtQ89.jpg

Excuse the poor lighting, just a quick WIP shot. And yes, Sicarius is now Chief Apothecary. (Nothing rules wise, but I felt he should be included)

• 4 weeks later...

What will you be equipping the honour guard with? With the different rules for power weapons you could come up with some interesting stuff.

There's a couple already done. I think a single axe is in there in the most awkward pose ever from the master of the chapter box.

In other news ...

FOR DORN AND THE EMPEROR!

http://i.imgur.com/YEPSKMZ.jpg

Side view:

http://i.imgur.com/R45fabC.jpg

Still working on this bolter arm and re-positioning a chapter icon on top of the Minotaur, now shaved. I little green-stuffing is required for the sword arm, but it's just setting into position now. Edited by Inquisitor Engel

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8041/7933898212_44b4205129_z.jpg
Incredible work.

How about instead of a bolter, a powerfist, like the sergeant in the MKII Veteran squad?

Mayeb a sculpted bolter on the back. Kind of an awesome pelvic thrusting, leading from the front pose, and means that the model can be used as Calgar should you so choose (Powerfist, storm bolter, power sword combo)?

Thanks for the compliments guys! Can't wait to get to painting. Trying to decide between the yellow like the rest of actually having him be gold, in the vein of Dorn himself and one of the other known Imperial Fist successor Chapter Masters (Helbrecht's armour is gold, whereas Kantor's seems a little more 'functional' and blue) Part of the consideration is the slight 'beaten metal' texture of some of Moloc's armour plates.... Edited by Inquisitor Engel

Mayeb a sculpted bolter on the back. Kind of an awesome pelvic thrusting, leading from the front pose, and means that the model can be used as Calgar should you so choose (Powerfist, storm bolter, power sword combo)?

I'm not quite that good with the hacking and the cutting and creating...

Very nice! I love the pose. Although i do have a rather silly question is the ancient greek helms and style suitable for an Imperial fists army?

The thought did cross my mind. I've filled in or filed off all the greek symbols and not putting the giant head crest on greatly diminishes the minoan look. The helmet can be excused as an ancient piece of armour, from an old Crusade-era bit of Terminator armour development around the Iron armour phase.

Shaping up nicely. The sword really fits as well I think. Its about the right size for such a large model.

Thanks! I had my doubts, what with it being bigger than a marine and all. I do feel it's a little... plain for a Chapter master, but most eagle wings are too big. The curved Blood Angel half-wing might work, with a skull instead of the blood drop... This one. http://www.modelbits.co.uk/images/blood_an...accessories.jpg

Thoughts?

Annnnnnd a quick update on the Chief Apothecary... I've spent a lot of time on his shoulder and... well... not a lot of time on anything else...

22094451404_b7c0b2e574_c.jpg

I carefully cut, sanded and greenstuffed around the former Ultramarines U and created a circle. I think it came out quite well.

Sorry for the dark picture. Just a quick update shot with the phone... Edited by Inquisitor Engel

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
It's been a long, long time! Last time I updated I was looking to buy a house and in the intervening year and a half (Eep!) I've bought a house, gutted a kitchen, built a workbench in the garage (airbrushing! yay!). I left one job for another, then got recruited by a local startup in January from the second job. Because of the weird-ass shape of my study, I also had to have a desk custom built as well...

But it's all done! So without further ado - AN UPDATE!

It's been a long time since I've been painting, so I'm going to have to build the skills up again it seems. Sigh.

22728402381_7a9424fc46_c.jpg

22728403801_3da75bc55d_c.jpg

And my new set up!

http://i.imgur.com/wTuYqQZ.jpg

Looking good, Engel! Glad to have you back among the living and back to painting! Feel free to swing by the Imperial Fists sub-forum when you have the time to; we'll doubtless be having a painting competition starting within the next month or so (nothing big mind you, just something to get people together :))!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! I'll try and check it out! 

It's been a crazy week or so. I'll be out of town all this week for GDC in San Francisco. Plus someone pushed my mailbox over, so I'll be rebuilding one of those as soon as I get back. (Manly things!)

I did get to do some work on the Master Apothecary though. It kind of bums me out that he's the guy who gets to be the warm-up mini after my break, but it is what it is.

22691214236_efa366fdaf_c.jpg

I also cut and reapplied his decal. Re-learning my "round circle on a curved shoulder pad" method of microsol, water, spit and tissues took a couple of tries, but I'm reasonably pleased with the result. 

22728405611_6b2047518f_c.jpg

I'm also now remembering how much worse everything looks when I take close up pictures of it. :tongue.: