your banner design is fantastic, can i ask your permission to copy it for myself?

gallery_25584_1014_2759005.jpg

printed on 10cmx15cm photo paper, they look amazing and are the right size to fit to the company standard bearer

while on normal paper it looks a bit washed out

gallery_25584_1014_1850344.jpg

Edited by odinswolf

Outstanding Fists! Great work there. I do have a comment though. Although the white shoulder pad trims are correct, Imperial Fist Veterans do not wear white helmets but rather yellow helmets with a red stripe.

If you are interested, here is a complete guide to Imperial Fist colours and insignia:

Imperial Fists colours and insignia guide

Looking forward to seeing more!

• 2 weeks later...

Outstanding Fists! Great work there. I do have a comment though. Although the white shoulder pad trims are correct, Imperial Fist Veterans do not wear white helmets but rather yellow helmets with a red stripe.

If you are interested, here is a complete guide to Imperial Fist colours and insignia:
Imperial Fists colours and insignia guide

Looking forward to seeing more!

Not that I'm not thankful, but it's my army, I'll paint it how I want.

I saw the colour guide on The Phalanx while I was doing research. In my opinion, the red stripe looks stupid and hasn't been seen in a GW publication in YEARS. (Their current terminators have plain yellow helmets!) The white helmet looks way, way better and is far, far more recognizable from a gaming point of view than just shoulder pads.

While at Lenton, I had the developers commenting on how nice they looked and no one brought up that they were 'incorrect.'

Also, in current works, it's stated explicitly that company shades and exact placement of markings are left up to the company captain, and Chapters can change their exact heraldry on the whim of a chapter master, which is why the Ultramarines 2nd company changed from yellow to gold, etc. (There's an example of an entire chapter changing their squad markings and such somewhere in 4th edition too, but I can't recall where, for penance I believe)

Moving on...

I'm back from the UK and managed to squeeze in two games, one against Tyranids on the FABULOUS new FW Planetstrike fortress board. This was open gaming night.

22717019985_86a2858a5b_c.jpg

1500 points. This was not going to be fun. Tyranid shooting REALLY hurts. :sad:

22728209331_4f7cfa7c34_c.jpg

This unit started at the back, Librarian threw them to the back of the encroaching Tyranid horde and they kicked some major butt, wiping out a genestealer squad before being charged by another unit of genestealers, some hormagaunts and a carnifex...

After the critters took out the squad and the Carnifex took out the Librarian, Lysander managed, in two round of combat, to outright knock the head straight off the carnifex and make the gaunts and genestealers run off.

22691022736_e602ca81b6_c.jpg

Then the stealers turned around....

And this happened...

22717022985_3066918462_c.jpg

The Tyranids ended up tabling the poor Fists...

In the other game, 1000 points versus Tau, the Fists won 7 KP to 1 KP. The Assault Marines really proved their worth, accounting for nearly a KP per turn!

There was another battle report, but my lips are sealed on that one. :wink:

your banner design is fantastic, can i ask your permission to copy it for myself?

Not a problem. :smile: If you'd like the original .PSD I'd be more than happy to send it your way.

printed on 10cmx15cm photo paper, they look amazing and are the right size to fit to the company standard bearer

while on normal paper it looks a bit washed out

Yeah I printed it once on the clear decal paper and once on the white, it the black certainly seemed deeper on the clear one. I had to fresh-install OSX a few weeks ago (bigger hard drive! :biggrin:) and haven't gotten around to calibrating my screen yet, so that may be why. Edited by Inquisitor Engel

Nice to see your progress :smile: and as always love your army and your fists.. they are like i imagen them to be in colurs and stile :biggrin: so a big salute and cheers to your army there mate :smile:

Thanks! :biggrin:

I actually noticed, during the games where people came by and went "Ooo yellow marines ..... oh..... well painted yellow marines.... nice, mate." That my Lysander is MUCH better painted than my Ultramarines conversion of him, the face especially.

Compare:

22703446382_832ed7091e_c.jpg

22093828424_cc6a77e386_c.jpg

Win.

Edited by Inquisitor Engel

• 4 weeks later...

ALRIGHT!

Finally got some work done and some Forge World delivered (which I'm kind of frightened to paint to be honest! Such beautiful stuff!)

First up, 2nd Assault Terminator Squad Sergeant Fios.

22094269354_1bf35963b4_c.jpg

I've used parts of Commander Culn (to be turned into a Vulkan counts-as) to make the Terminator Sergeant Maustin a lot cooler. I'm excited about painting him, although having to use the FW shoulder pad when none of the other models in the army have it bother me, but not too much.

22691027336_99e773e40e_c.jpg

And look who arrived....

22690548726_cc6df982ee_c.jpg

With retinue!
22093799124_10f0dc45ec_c.jpg

Back row, left to right: Familiar, Heirophant, Inquisitor Lord Engel, Sage
Front fow, left to right: Mystic, Acolyte, [inquisitor Lord Engel], Mystic
Very front: Heirophant

There will also be a 'Warrior' made from an Eldar Ranger to keep with my old =][= warband, which was much, much smaller. He'll count as a Servitor with Heavy Bolter.

I may be splitting this up in larger games, with the acolyte counting as an Ordo Heretic Inquisitor instead, that way getting some different henchmen in.

Fantastic retinue I may have to look into getting those acolytes. is the Inquisitor the same size as a Terminator?

Indeed he is, the acolyte himself is Inquisitor Lok from FW (who came with the servo-skull). The other resin ones come with Rex and the other two are made from the WFB Wizard box.

Today I finished the rest of the Assault Terminators!

22529099450_75328aebca_c.jpg

These three can be thrown easily into a squad with the two from the other squad to form a 5-strong TH-SS squad, or vice versa for 5 LC squad. Versatility is key.

I'm also really keen on the Saim-Hann helmet on the base, which makes me really think really positively about the next army project. (Are any of us ever truly done?)

The lightning claw ones:
22728222971_a98b92f6c5_c.jpg

22094274694_ba09144fb5_c.jpg

The full squad! Bwahahaha!

I've also started some assembly-line painting which is... bleh. I've been doing test models and characters for so long it's a big change moving to multiple models like this. I'm excited though, once I get them to a basic level, I'll take each one and give him the attention they deserve.

Damn you Henry Ford!

lol!!

ive tried this but i often find myself completly finishing the paint on each model induvidually before moving on to the next.

"insertcoolsmilyhere"

ive tried this but i often find myself completly finishing the paint on each model induvidually before moving on to the next.

Terminators are a LITTLE easier because there's more to paint, but the sternguard and vanguard drove me nuts...

Started work on some support today. :wink: Grey Knights!

I'm going for the Index Astartes look but I'm generally really crappy at doing black, so I thought I'd do something different.

The IA Scheme:
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/warhammer40k/images/e/ed/Grey_knights_codex2.jpg

I'm doing SOME modification as on the new models, it'll be a little too dark.

For the black I decided to do something different. Adeptus Battlegrey foundation (do foundation paints smell weird to anyone else?) and then I picked out the script and gave the entire thing a wash of Badab Black. First stage of highlights is Adeptus Battlegrey again, then Codex Grey.

22702998382_0b822e8c99_c.jpg

I love it.

I also messed with the pose of the Brother-Captain, chopping his arm off and slapping the sword on, because the sword is way cooler.

22528624630_c9e7c4764c_c.jpg

I'm very excited about getting this squad off the ground.

looking pretty awesome!

although AFAIK grey knights are an illegal ally to normal space marines, at least they were in the 4th edition and i hadn't heard of them changing that.

(though I've seen some stranger pairings lately, like an inquisitor leading the deathwing. how can the secret be kept if the inquisition helps them do the hunting??)

I like your nice, solid army you have going on! I visited early in the makings, and now I'm back to see how far you've gone ;-D Very far indeed...

I kinda like the idea of using other characters with some added iconography!

And I must say, geniuses must think alike or something, I did the same-sorta thing with for my command squad with the chapter masters!....just not to the level of your conversion.

I've never been a fan of bright yellow tanks, but that Land Raider is superb.

And the new allies shall be superb with them all!

looking pretty awesome!

Thanks! :tu:

although AFAIK grey knights are an illegal ally to normal space marines, at least they were in the 4th edition and i hadn't heard of them changing that.

You can take Grey Knight allies in any of the Imperial Codices, the list in Daemonhunters states "Space Marines including variant armies such as Blood Angels, Space Wolves, Dark Angels*, Black Templars, Salamanders and other Index Astartes chapters." (*Hunt the fallen is ignored if this is the case)

What you CANNOT do is include Space Marine units as allies in a Daemonhunters army with Grey Knights. If you fill the 1 compulsory HQ and 2 compulsory Troops with Grey Knight units from the DH 'dex, you can't take Space Marines with it. If you fill the 1 compulsory HQ and 2 compulsory Troops with units from a Space Marine Codex, then you may take Grey Knights as allies.

I think another highlight would do wonders, just on the most extreme edges. Very fine line highlighting..

I can't really do the whole edge highlighting to extremes. I never have, it strikes me as too unnatural. This is probably the most extreme my highlights will ever get, and certainly the most extreme they've ever been.

I just think natural progressions and highlight 'limits' look more natural. *shrug*

I like the yellow, but the writing on the hands and hip areas aren't as good as the rest. Right now it's just a bunch of wavy lines. With a Larger capital letter in the beginning (like in incunables and such), it would look a lot better with a minimum of effort. :smile:

Some of them do have the larger letter, I just try and avoid using it too much. These aren't for show, they're just goal-level (ie better than average) table top minis. You can tell what it is, and that's a big accomplishment.

I might use the larger first letter a little more often though.

Nice Knights. What colour grey is it?

Astronomican Grey base with a heavy badab black wash, highlights of Astronomican Grey and Codex Grey. I'm so incredibly pleased with how it worked out with no outside help!

I finished the test mini! :biggrin:

22703001142_d648bbca29_c.jpg

22528627450_184a5a7e08_c.jpg

The shield is traditional GK livery, but I might darken it a little bit, not quite sure yet. I wish the shields were just a liiiiiittle bit smaller.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright! A week of training n00bs at work, late nights and the girlfriend being gone two weekends in a row (sadface) means I completed a grand total of... two... more Grey Knights.

22095413603_d3a69071ef_c.jpg

The shields will be done with the Forge World decals, which I just ordered (along with the Valkyrie transfer sheet!)

I'm very happy with the Brother-Captain. Sawing the arm off was kind of a pain but it worked out in the end. Why on EARTH he's the only model in the group that has his arm attached to his body is beyond me... The sword looks better.

I'm going slow, but I'm very happy with them. The Sisters attached to the other Inquisitor (or whatever I do) will be red, and whilst in Inquisitor (the game) and older short stories, Engel wore black power armour, I feel that having him match the Grey Knights TOO much would be weird.

Suggestions? (Engel will be portrayed on table-top by Rex)

• 1 month later...

Behold: I return!

The Forge World Space Marine decals set saved me big time on the shoulders. These are fabulous, almost perfectly fitting decals that make the model pop like I couldn't even try to. My freehand has gotten better, but these really look great.

The newly finished Grey Knights, since last posting. New decal applications for the previous three can be seen in the group shot.

22716558235_5829837da0_c.jpg

22690561256_da1cd9cee1_c.jpg

22690567796_15bce2f64f_c.jpg

These guys have taken me a LONG time, but I'm very very pleased with them. Whilst they might not "fit in" with the rest of the army (somewhat deliberately I might add) I think they really pull off the Daemonhunters vibe.

Ideas for Inquisitor Rex are very appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

So this is a fairly quick turnaround time, I have to say.

Next up will be the last 5 Vanguard (why 10? I have no idea) followed by a dreadnaught to break up the infantry streak.

So, the terminators:

22728224841_c35ec99824_c.jpg

I love this pose. Definitely my favourite, one of my Ultramarine terminators shares the same pose. I deliberately kept the script and other details to a minimum to emphasize his fist-ness. He works well, the epitome of an Imperial Fist terminator, unto the breach and all that.

22094283784_30edac6359_c.jpg

This one is an exercise in "Dammit I don't have enough spare shoulder pads after that conversion earlier." I'm actually happy with the flavour it gave to him, adds something to an otherwise bland pose.

22728232801_ae194e45ec_c.jpg

The awkward placing of the purity seals here is due to lifting the arm up too high and out too far to add some variety into the poses. *sigh* It works, but barely.

22094281884_833a81225c_c.jpg

The unfortunately named-at-birth "Asscan" who, not unlike Major Major Major in Catch-22, was always destined to live up to his name...

I've already shown a rough pic of the sergeant, but here's a better one.
22728226641_6aab3da0ce_c.jpg

I love this. Culn's sword and storm bolter work really well here. If I ever do another marine army (or ever re-do my Ultramarines) there will be another use of these bitz. The body is being used to create a Vulkan stand-in. (2+ save = Terminator armour)

Pics of him will come later, for now, group shot.

22529113050_59ee6df204_c.jpg

This brings me to 5 standard Terminators, 10 Assault Terminators and 5 Grey Knight Terminators.

Planet strike is going to be beyond a blast as the attacker... :evilgrin:

Any suggestions for my Hector Rex paint job? I'm going to try and fit him in somewhere...

• 1 month later...

The cast eagle helms are fantastic, the colour is consistent and beautiful across the board, and there are some really fun poses and subtle conversions. Fantastic stuff, from start to finish!

I really, really like the terminators: brill poses, and lovely painting. In particular, I'm really glad that you've decided to move away from the horrid 'red stripe' veterans. While red and yellow are a great combo, I think at this scale the vibrancy doesn't work, and draws attention away from the detail on the miniatures. White is a much better option, to my eye, and fits perfectly with the background – as you've noted. In addition, it's mentioned in more recent background than 2nd ed. Ultramarines that the Codex describes a number of different approaches to marking out a marine's status, and that altering the markings periodically is encouraged.

The mindset of forcing everyone into a limited scheme based on a few throwaway lines goes against the creativity of the hobby, in my opinion, so I'm really glad to see you stretch your wings and paint them how you like them. :) I had a similar 'crisis of codex' with my Ultramarines, and I'm really glad that I stuck to my guns and declared my paint scheme an alternative from a specific historical campaign. Fits perfectly with the official background and I think it looks just spiffy!

Talking about painting, have you considered a colour scheme that works around purple for Hector Rex? It's a complementary colour to yellow (have you tried using a little Leviathan Purple for neutral shades on your marines? It's fantastic), so should fit in nicely. Alternatively, a jade green Rex would look great, and would stretch nicely to the robes of his minions.

Keep up the good work.

Edited by Apologist

The cast eagle helms are fantastic, the colour is consistent and beautiful across the board, and there are some really fun poses and subtle conversions. Fantastic stuff, from start to finish!

I'll shorten all of your stuff here and just say thanks! It's really, really great to get some honest, solid feedback on everything. I love it - thank you SO much. It's definitely a good way to get some motivation :lol: I've got a dreadnaught ready to go... but alas... I just finished a move into a new apartment, so a lot of things are you know, packed away and such (frown). I HAVE managed to finish the Vanguard but I need to set up a light box.

Pics will come!

I really can't thank you enough for the solid feed back - I tried searching for your Ultras, but couldn't bring my google-fu to the fore just now, I'd love to see them!

Seriously, I can't think you enough. This is the single best feed back I've ever received. *high five*

Talking about painting, have you considered a colour scheme that works around purple for Hector Rex? It's a complementary colour to yellow (have you tried using a little Leviathan Purple for neutral shades on your marines? It's fantastic), so should fit in nicely. Alternatively, a jade green Rex would look great, and would stretch nicely to the robes of his minions.

Purple is a little terrifying to be honest, I've never done it before. Doing it at first on such an amazing model is a little daunting. Green is a lot less daunting (I have a Biel-Tan army after all, with green guardians!) but that seems to be Rex's colour and he's really only supposed to be a stand in.

Purple definitely has some promise. Different... I might try it on a spare... something sometime. I'd prefer a really, really, really dark purple rather than Emperor's Children-purple... I like it. The more I visualize it... cape colour and acolyte colour would definitely be a challenge - red for some of the acolytes is something I'm quite interested in, it looks so Adeptus-Terra-ish...

• 1 month later...

*loud whistle*, *very low bow*.

you sir, have one of the most beautiful IF mini's I've ever seen...a real inspiration for me. I am a novice and chose to do IF after failing with my BT's (but i may take them up again when i've actually finished an army!)

keep up the amazing work!!!

For Dorn and the Emperor of Mankind!

BB Ludovic