• 2 months later...

I have some shoulder pads coming (finally) to round out the Deathwatch...

For now though, an update. The Legion of the Damned is done, but not sealed on account of the face that it's single digits outside by the time I get home from work. No pics till they're sealed!

Anyway - Winter always does bring out my painting tendencies.

I've started work on the first of Vladimir Pugh's Honour Guard.

22094353974_d9a83a775a_o.jpg

So the question is - What colour do I paint his cape? I've thought about red, white and even blue. Something distinct enough from the other other company colours but... I dunno, red is A LOT of red in one unit...

I'm glad I went with a white, rather than gold or silver, face-eagle though.

Thoughts?

Edited by Inquisitor Engel

So the question is - What colour do I paint his cape? I've thought about red, white and even blue. Something distinct enough from the other other company colours but... I dunno, red is A LOT of red in one unit...

Thoughts?

A primary blue might look rather striking. But I'd be too chicken to try it myself. I'd probably go with white if it were mine.

And so the Fists did fight off some ridiculous Guardsmen who thought eight Griffons and a bunch of Chimera were a good idea.

They were - had we been playing anything other than objectives, I'd have lost sorely.

I did take some piccies though. (Foda_Bett, whose house this was at has more).

http://gallery.me.com/harropj/100103/IMG_7652/web.jpg?ver=12677229470001

I purposefully cut out the sprayed-only Whirlwind and Vindicator. The whirlwind earned itself the "next to be painted" award by wiping out a squad of guardsmen per turn the entire game!

And a couple of Chimera... Wee!

http://gallery.me.com/harropj/100103/IMG_7653/web.jpg?ver=12677229500001

http://gallery.me.com/harropj/100103/IMG_7654/web.jpg?ver=12677229530001

Big S10 AP2 Guns = Scary guns.

http://gallery.me.com/harropj/100103/IMG_7657/web.jpg?ver=12677229560001

The Sternguard managed to do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, though the Librarian did a fine job of carving up a command platoon.

http://gallery.me.com/harropj/100103/IMG_7659/web.jpg?ver=12677229580001

As did the Assault Terminators, led by Lysander who managed to get whacked by a siege shell at the top of turn 5...

http://gallery.me.com/harropj/100103/IMG_7660/web.jpg?ver=12677229610001

But in the end, thanks to the Whirlwind blasting a guard squad off of one objective (the green warjack) and Tactical Squad II's amazing run from cover on the last turn, the Fists seized the day.

Hurrah!

That is some fine, fine looking terrain to play on. I want to run my White Scars over that board. It's perfect for them!

Wow, it's been some time since I last checked out your thread. I read through from the beginning now, and it was a great read.

Highlights are the tight scripture lines on the vehicles and the banner you made. But I also enjoy all the little conversions you've put in to break up the normal squads.

The Inquistion minis and Grey Knights are also a great touch. I wonder how they look alongside the rest of the army?

All in all, a great looking army in a wonderful and consistent yellow. You can be really proud of the work you have done here.

Cheers,

Peter

Just read the thread from beginning to end.

Your modelling and painting are excellent .

Thank you!

I've done with a red inlaying and black outside for the cape. The red/black cape has turned out wonderfully. Contrasts beautifully with the white face-hugger eagle. Going to highlight the black clock (ugh) today or tomorrow.

Re: Blackshields - I've order a Howling Gryphons, Exorcists and Iron Snakes shoulder pads from ChapterHouse to round everyone out, plus a Ragnar's Company from eBay I'm waiting on for the Wolf.

So that gives me:

1. Lamenter Captain (any tips on doing the checkers? I was thinking of painting it black and then taping it off and spraying it white? Or vice versa?)
  2. Ultramarine Scanner dude
  3. Blood Angel aiming marine
  4. Angels of Redemption Heavy Bolter
  5. Flamer Space Wolf
  6. Kneeling Blackshield
  7. Red Scorpion Jr Sergeant (the one with the chainsword)
  8. Iron Snake Apothecary
  9. Imperial Fists Run n' gun bolter. (Unless I can pry the shoulder pad back off, in which case, Howling Griffon)
  10. Raven Guard two-bolter guy. I love ctsteel's suggestion but I just have to have that MKVI helmet with a Raven Guard pad. ;)

And we're back!

Just a couple of shots of the red/black cape. Very happy with it. All to do now is the bolter arm and backpack and the first member of the Honour Guard (not counting the Emperor's Champion, who goes wherever he damned well pleases) is done!

22703556272_1224d96fd0_o.jpg

22728305881_b7f75571f7_z.jpg

And hooray for better, more accurate lighting! Sunlight vs incandescent FTW!

Sir how do you mould youre own helmets etc? like what products and company do you get them from and how do you do it? a PM would be great to or what ever.

But on to the big part, yes i agree with the other comments, your painting is becoming much much cleaner as this progresses, much props to you sir.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of updates!

First off, Legion of the Damned are finally done and sealed, which means I can show them off now. :wink:

22717129735_0819bb813a_z.jpg
Sergeant. I went with the flame on it as I am vehemently anti-backpack accessory. I replaced the flame pack with some large purity seals. I think it works. The final image is a little greener than I'd like but it gets the detail across.

22703576682_b21008e7c9_z.jpg

I am so pleased with my ability to paint flames now. With the exception of filling out this squad, I think I'm done with them for good now!

22095998973_28a501036c_z.jpg

More flame! More bone! Avoiding painting anything that wouldn't be black or metal before white-painting/Foundation painting them seemed to really make these pop much better than before I stripped them.

22691137706_83165d2623_z.jpg

Love this pose.

22094390704_da4307ab2f_z.jpg
A lot of work went into this guys chest... which was then promptly covered by a bolter...

22728341871_3f92d0b9c4_z.jpg

22095974063_29948a685f.jpg

Look what arrived! :biggrin: I didn't get the whole honor guard, just eBayed Loth. Too many Scorpions to remove on the HG, beautiful as they are. Plus, I prefer mine!

A quick shot of the completed Honour Guard number one.

http://gallery.me.com/harropj/100103/IMG_1821.jpg?derivative=medium&source=web.jpg&type=medium&ver=12971291430001

Gotta repaint the base trim all black, but he's done. I'm very, very pleased. I still, however, need to find a permanent and consistent way to photograph. This apartment is KILLING ME.

• 1 month later...
Well I'll be moving to Austin soon for my job. The minis were the first to be packed, but as my girlfriend will be living up in Dallas for the next year or so, I'll have plenty of time to ratchet up things when I get unpacked. Expect large chunks of progress in a few weeks. ;)

Well I'll be moving to Austin soon for my job. The minis were the first to be packed, but as my girlfriend will be living up in Dallas for the next year or so, I'll have plenty of time to ratchet up things when I get unpacked. Expect large chunks of progress in a few weeks. :)

While we all appreciate an active WIPPy log... sucks dude.

That Honour Guard is looking great! And I look forward to your future updates :)

Ludovic

Edit: Forgot to put my name :)

Edited by Battle-Brother Ludovic

• 2 months later...

I'm back. After moving, getting engaged and planning on moving back I've settled in for now and in my spare time will be painting. And playing video games. And working out.

Suffice to say, there will be progress!

In my entire day off, I unpacked everything (finally), watched an entire season of Nip/Tuck and painted two of the shoulder pads for my Deathwatch. Hurrah!

22691148736_c39123cca3_z.jpg

The detail on the Raven Guard is much crisper than that on the Red Scorpion one... alas. they must suffice.

Stay posted.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe an actual marine will illicit a reply....Minor work on the Deathwatch.

I'm almost done with the first, the Space Wolf.

He still needs highlighting, so this is all flats but I'm very pleased, especially with having taken so much time off.

22717153485_601d27582f_b.jpg

22691151796_9186a2f29d_b.jpg

I wasn't a huge fan of the metal SW shoulder pad. It shows its age, it's not very crisp and is a bitch to paint with foundations. Ah well, it gets the job done.

22691153386_9a9075df9b_b.jpg
And the Deathwatch pad. Damned if that little bionic eye isn't tiny! :wink:

I do need a new micron pen before I do any more purity seals....

Anyway, I'm happy. I think I shall finish him and do a lot of the Raven Guard guy next. I like his shoulder pad!