Weheeee! LotD!!! I hope you do a fine job of them :lol:

I'm actually so not satisfied at this point (started doing the bone last night) that I'm going to strip them to metal and start again. I'll probably avoid doing the all black prime, probably sticking to white prime for the flames and Denheb Stone for the bone and paint the areas black when they need to be, avoiding a good goop of black in the process.

They've been pushed to back so I can do my Counts-as-Vulkan (Captain Culn with a spear and flamethrower powerfist) and a cheap captain for smaller games (power sword and bolter, the end). I'm going to pick up a sonic cleaner this week.

I guess I'm just too used to doing really bright models. :Elite:

Weheeee! LotD!!! I hope you do a fine job of them ^_^

I'm actually so not satisfied at this point (started doing the bone last night) that I'm going to strip them to metal and start again. I'll probably avoid doing the all black prime, probably sticking to white prime for the flames and Denheb Stone for the bone and paint the areas black when they need to be, avoiding a good goop of black in the process.

They've been pushed to back so I can do my Counts-as-Vulkan (Captain Culn with a spear and flamethrower powerfist) and a cheap captain for smaller games (power sword and bolter, the end). I'm going to pick up a sonic cleaner this week.

I guess I'm just too used to doing really bright models. :P

What you may want to do is prime the models by hand, no? It would be easier to put the different paints at the right places.

Anyway, are there going to be more Imperial Fists?

Kee up the good work! :blink:

• 6 months later...

Anyway, are there going to be more Imperial Fists?

Not soon enough, Brother.

*ahem*

It's taken nearly seven months but I think I'm starting to get back into the swing of painting. Truth be told I'm still not happy with the photographing situation in this apartment, but thins will have to do. I got insurmountably busy at work and had to balance all of that with friends living much further away than they used to, video games and all sorts of things.

I also don't typically paint much in the summer... I just don't seem to be in a very Sci-Fi mood when it's nice outside.

Now with Halo: Reach occupying a lot of my time I'm back in Sci-Fi mode and things have tapered off at work. I'm painting up my Vindicator currently and am working on a stand-in generic captain just to bring my skills up to par again.

See what happens when you take a break:

22703528562_0d1b0e944a_z.jpg

My abilities haven't dropped off as sharply as my last three-year hiatus so that's good...The good/bad news is I leave for Mexico on vacation next Monday. Ah well - still, more to come! :laugh:

Edited by Inquisitor Engel

• 3 weeks later...

Great stuff. Truly inspiring.

Thank you sir!

Thanks for the kind words.

The pictures make them look SO BAD sometimes, especially having to take them with my phone due to the current lack of photo space. :sad: I can see all the worst mistakes and little lines... ugh.

Anyway - In addition to work on the Vindicator (which really just lacks the dozer blade, which I have NO IDEA how to paint! Ideas?) I've also been slowly putting paint onto an old stripped Emperor's Champion for Pugh's command squad.

I've been wrestling with what colour/how to do the command shoulder pads for a while now. Obviously they shouldn't have white because that's first company and these guys are beyond it. All yellow is meh.

After finding this image by the extremely talented badaboom, I hit upon the idea of black trim and white shoulder pads, a la Black Templars.

22728281241_6576921836_c.jpg

The Fists seem to maintain close ties to the Templars, or so it would seem and since the Black/White was the original colour of Sigismund, the original Emperor's Champion, I thought it might be a cool way to distinguish command units.

So, what do you think? VERY WIP by the way, lots of tidying up to do! And flash apparently makes the white look thicker than it really is... it's actually quite smooth.

22691088446_194166e0c6_c.jpg

I'm thinking of making the tabard (and therefore everyone else in the squad's capes) red. That's obviously a first layer of white on there. Thoughts?

I'm really liking the black and white shoulder on the Champ.

I also think that red on tabards/capes/etc. will look good up against that yellow armor.

Thank you!

It is done.

22727292746_ba9b6e1cd9_c.jpg

I've also started some work on a Deathwatch squad (obviously another Sternguard squad) because I like the idea. I'm trying to find sculpted, individual shoulder pads to represent the Chapters. Having already procured Ultramarines and Blood Angels I'd love it if anyone had resources for individuals for the one GW sells as 10-packs (Mentors, Genesis Chapter etc.)

Pics of them to follow.

• 2 weeks later...
Oh yes, that is one nice, rich and pure!

Thank you! I really like it. It looks even better with the Fists icon in the middle! White's still a giant pain to get smooth over yellow though! :)

Well the Emperor's Champion is done!

I'll have pics of him tomorrow but he's turned out EXCELLENTLY. I unfortunately had to waste a couple of decals trying to get my method down again (and thanks to the microsol, redo the white on his shoulder pad) but I'm genuinely thrilled with the result.

Now, in the meantime I've taken a lot of bitz from the Blood Angels Death Company box (oh man, I wish I could do Blood Angels, those things are amazing) and a lot of spare bitz myself and started making a Deathwatch Kill Team.

I plan on solely using the metal Deathwatch pads as the plastic ones just don't do it for me but I also plan on not having a single Imperial Fists marine in it.

I do however, need your help!

I've posted a thread in the general discussion area and gotten a little bit of traction from the extremely awesome and generous Arn Greybeard!

Ideally, I'd love to have sculpted shoulder pads for each of the Chapters represented (aside from two planned Blackshields) but unfortunately GW only sells them in batches of ten and FW only does terminator pads. (Boo, hiss!)

So I turn to you.

If you have a single or a couple of sculpted Space Marine CHAPTER shoulder pads (no plastic Deathwatch or Crux Terminatus ones please).

Specially I'd like some of the following:

• Forge World Raven Guard Should Pads (the less ornamented the better)
  • Aurora Chapter
  • Eagle Warriors
  • Genesis Chapter
  • Ragnar's Company

If anyone has 10 or so of the metal Deathwatch shoulder pads, that would be awesome. The plastic ones just aren't as cool.

If anyone can help, that'd be lovely. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice IF

Thank you!

Now, for a brief change of pace. :smile:

I think it's fairly obvious that I wasn't happy with my first attempt with the Legion of the Damned. Doing them ALL black and then going over the details made for poorly done detail.

So I stripped them and went for it again, this time avoiding painting anything that need to be painted flame or bone. I am much, much happier. This is simply a test model, but I'm quite happy with it. My apologies for the quality, I'm still working on getting a decent light-box.

22703537142_809b840f52_o.jpg

Tonight? More Deathwatch modeling (sans Chapter shoulder pads still... see above.)

Cool LotD, but yellow yellow yellow all the way!

It shall come. :wink: Doing the darker stuff to get my skills back up to speed over the winter I think is a good method to my madness. Yellow is a very unforgiving colour to work with. Black I can repaint over and over if I mess up! :wink:

The LotD marine is looking sweet. Looking forward to seeing those Death Watch marines too.

Though they're not painted I can give some show to the poses and ask for some poster input! The Deathwatch have arrived...

They're really just an amalgam of bitz really. There's a captain, some Death Company, some Command Squad bits... all over the place really. I prefer the ornamented and decorated veterans for Deathwatch, rather than MIB style smoothness.

22703550662_4b28e13a92_o.jpg

This is the Captain. He's got a powersword from an Empire Wizard kit which I thought was more fitting of his Lamenter's roots (he'll have that checkered shoulder pad facing forwards!) since the BA and their successors have a Renaissance vibe going on. I really enjoy the pose.

22691096436_c8e2886a81_o.jpg

Generic run and gun.

22691092146_4883457d19_o.jpg

In-progress aiming marine. This one will be a Blood Angel.

22529178320_ff8eb10f57_o.jpg

A Space Wolf. Dual-wielding hand flamers just count as a normal flamer. I thought the mayhem he could wreak suited a Space Wolf's style.

22691107096_b45d6967e7_o.jpg

The Ultramarine in a very 'aliens' sort of pose... "They're in the walls!"

Now everything below this line is up for suggestion on Chapter and which two become Blackshields.

So the following are candidates for Blackshield. For those not in-the-know, Blackshields are Marines whose chapters were destroyed, excommunicated or went rogue why they were deployed with a Kill-team. The Marines paint their Chapter-pad all black. I imagine they're total badasses given that they have basically no down time and are PERMANENTLY serving on the Deathwatch.

22691097586_97ccf04aba_o.jpg

The old Deathwatch rules had an Assault 3 Heavy Bolter available. To do them justice, I thought a running HB marine would fit the role nicely.

22717095785_2bb0c968b4_o.jpg

Apothecary to recover gene-seed for Chapters represented and to study alien life they encounter. Someone with biology experience might be needed every now and then...

22728289211_4ffaae7f1c_o.jpg

I just like how serious this guy looks, taking down aliens left and right, making sure he gets the most out of every shot while still acting like he owns the place.

22691099506_8f38586923_o.jpg

Just a simple run-and-gun.

22728295221_2db9957247_o.jpg

And finally, the marine surveying his damage. I liked doing something simple with the kneeling legs.

So I have a plan for two Blackshields. Currently I'm in possession of a Red Scorpions shoulder pad, a Raven Guard shoulder pad, an Angels of Absolution decal or 40. Still looking for other sculpted ones if anyone would like to donate or trade. :smile: Any suggestions for which shoulder pads go where would be delightful.

Happy hunting!

Well I'd suggest the Heavy Bolter Marine be an Imperial Fist, the Apothecary a Red Scorpion, the reserved looking Beakie a Blackshield (looks very professional after all), the run and gun the other Black Shield, and the kneeling Marine a Raven Guard.

Really can't get over the awesome pose of your Deathwatch Captain ^_^ .

Also the dual hand flamer wielding Space Wolf is great and using it as a flamer inspired.....might have to nick that if you don't mind!

Keep up the great work!!!

I'm not sure if I understand the Blackshield thing though...if they were excommunicate, then why would they be DW, which is like...as close to the =][= as you can get?

Basically the Marine in question was on-loan when his Chapter went bonkers/lost/collectively sprouted extra faces. Since Deathwatch squads have a lot of autonomy, the Marine in question, upon learning of his Chapter's fate, removes any connection to it and basically serves the Emperor permanently as a Deathwatch Marine.

I imagine there are also plenty of Inquisitors who would turn a blind eye for the skill Deathwatch Marines collect.

Sigh...you never cease to amaze...

Nonsense, you can do it too! It's just about choosing the right bitz. :wub:

Basically the Marine in question was on-loan when his Chapter went bonkers/lost/collectively sprouted extra faces. Since Deathwatch squads have a lot of autonomy, the Marine in question, upon learning of his Chapter's fate, removes any connection to it and basically serves the Emperor permanently as a Deathwatch Marine.

I imagine there are also plenty of Inquisitors who would turn a blind eye for the skill Deathwatch Marines collect.

Oh I get it, so he was inducted into the Deathwatch before the chapter went 'poof'. Gotcha. Thats cool.

I think the Lamenter marine is lovely looking. Followed closely by the guy with the HB.

@Inquisitor Engel: your yellow is very clean and smooth = nice!!!

the marines with the mark IV helmets ae my fav, (thats not cause i personally love the mark IV armour and helmets......."much" lol)

with your death watch, they are ALL very nicely posed giving them excellent character; question: are you running them in games as sterngaurd vets?

I'm currently building the 4th company of the Imperial Fists, only have two Cpt varients painted up, one counts as Sicarus, 1 tact squad (2nd squad) and three members of my 7th squad (assault squad)......out of a company....ALOT to paint/ buy/put together yet.

within my company though i'm adding an "elite tactical squad" (counts as sterngaurd for rules) and they are all ex Deathwatch members, and ALL will have Mark IV and VI helmets.

again.....Great models though