Night Lords 18th Battle Company (Treadhead)

gallery_31335_1757_30374.jpg

I've been dying to replicate this guy in some way. There's something about his pose which just reeks of power, speed, and superiority.

Dan

Dan, you my friend are a God at conversion work. The thing that kills me the most is how you make it look so simple and yet so demonically beautiful.

And about the pose, I think it might be the fact that he is standing upright with no action. To me it makes it look more Heroic.

Edited by DeathByFear

I love pretty much everything about that. The pose is "Yeah, I'm just chillin' here, but I COULD lop your head off and tear you into bloody ragged shreds before you even see me move. So go ahead. Make my day." Can't wait to see him with a head. And I like what you did with the Skaven bits, particularly the power-spear.

I mostly like the helmets, but I think the problem's with the chin - it's sort of receded in comparison to the "nose," which I think makes the rest of the helmet look just a bit "off." The artwork (pg.19 and 32 in the 3.5 dex specifically) has the chin jutting forward, which gives the helmet a really aggressive "swooping" sort of look that lends to the whole bird-of-prey thing. My 2 cents. Aside from that they look pretty much just like the artwork, and I wish GW would make Raptors that looked even half this good.

Man, you guys rock. I ask for some opinions and I get a ton of good stuff. I'm going to probably make a new helmet for each raptor. i thought pretty hard about casting up one or two, but i think that would be the easy way out. I guess we'll see what happens in a week or two if i'm tired of making them.

Insane Psychopath, I had some ideas for objectives but never got around to making them. I have a hard time letting something fall into enemy hands that my Night Lords are in desperate need of, So it's been a challenge to think of something to make an objective out of. Mainly because I will probably never secure them and get tabled instead.

Imagine the following:

The people on some Imperial world under attack by your forces are taking hope in some structure or person. You decide it would be prudent to remove the source of this hope, thus demoralizing them and making them that much easier to slaughter at your lesiure. Imperial forces recognize this and move to intercept and prevent your forces from doing so.

Does that sound good?

Alternatively, there's the tried and true "They've got a stock of weapons/power armor/gene-seed/whatever. Let's go take it from them."

Man, you guys rock. I ask for some opinions and I get a ton of good stuff. I'm going to probably make a new helmet for each raptor. i thought pretty hard about casting up one or two, but i think that would be the easy way out. I guess we'll see what happens in a week or two if i'm tired of making them.

Insane Psychopath, I had some ideas for objectives but never got around to making them. I have a hard time letting something fall into enemy hands that my Night Lords are in desperate need of, So it's been a challenge to think of something to make an objective out of. Mainly because I will probably never secure them and get tabled instead.

Imagine the following:

The people on some Imperial world under attack by your forces are taking hope in some structure or person. You decide it would be prudent to remove the source of this hope, thus demoralizing them and making them that much easier to slaughter at your lesiure. Imperial forces recognize this and move to intercept and prevent your forces from doing so.

Does that sound good?

Alternatively, there's the tried and true "They've got a stock of weapons/power armor/gene-seed/whatever. Let's go take it from them."

the world of Genevieve IV is holding out against a dark coalition of chaos forces, the lynchpin of the planetary defence is a communications hub sending regular pict communiques through to frontline forces - seeing this as an opportunity to make the defensive line crumble the night lords are sent to access the comms array and use it to show frontline the commanders being turned/killed/flayed in the safety of thier own bunker... and when the defenders see that, they will be easy prey for the chaos forces

done, the objective you need to model then - is a door in the ground

I havent drooled this much in a long time, you good sir are a madman with a hobby knife. Excellent work.

This may have been asked/answered already, but what is the blade of that weapon from? Its absolutly menacing!

Firstly, I haven't checked this thread for a while - and I must say I'm blown away by the quality.

Secondly, you've inspired me to have a go at some Word Bearers, in this style. Have you written a tut on how you scale your marines up? If not, any chance of a brief overview?

I don't think I've commented on your stuff before Dan but I have been watching this thread unfold with joy and gladness (as well as the obligatory revulsion that such vile traitors are being so splendidly represented).

I can't add much to what has been repeated but I would like to highlight skill and effort you apply to posing the models. Choice of bits, paintwork, adhesion to the established theme, these things have been praised over and over again, but I think your secret weapon is the lifelike poses of your stuff.

Aspiring hobbyists take note!

Wow guys. I don't know where to start. The reaction to the last model has been overwhelming and I'm really pleased that all the little details and extra work i put into these guys is making the grade. I try and spend a lot of time making sure the marines don't look like generic Games Workshop robot poses(hint hint GW) so It's a labor of love and I'm glad it's appreciated.

I had been worried a bit after Games Day because I thought there was no way I'd be able to top the effort and extent of my display army. I'm not so much worried about that problem anymore, I'm happy to say the 18th will continue to push my limits in all things modeling.

The power bill as i've been calling it, to myself really, is a skaven clanrat spear, terminator power weapon housing, and WHFB chaos warrior hand/haft. A little bit of drilling and filing later and it looks like my goal. I wanted something with more reach than your average weapon which also looked sleek, powerful, and fast. I like the extended haft because the Raptor has the ability to use his weapon normally, or drop his grip and get some extra leverage and reach. I went for a weapon with a "i'm going to get you before you get me" feel if you know what i mean. It is a power weapon as Xavier noticed because I imagine my Raptors to be better than Assault Marines. Each man in the unit is to be a veteran and master of his craft, and i don't want to be restricted modeling wise to giving them less than I think they deserve. Maybe GW will give Raptors a little love in the next dex and give them options that other PA dexes are getting. until then it's a CCW.

The heads/hand bit is also a Skaven clanrat bit i believe. it's definitely from the new skaven line.

Ferrus, i'm working on a 3rd Raptor now, and the helmet for #2 so I can get a Tut up. I will be taking pictures along the way in order to log just how i went about doing it. My only answer to the questions from the first helmet was "I don't know how i did it".

Argon, Nihm, and Martemis, I love the ideas for objectives. Those are right up my alley and i'll begin brainstorming for them. I like how they aren't pivotal to a win and if i decide to ignore them it's no big deal. Then again if i do take them it makes for a great objective.

This... is difficult for me to type without swearing.

You're a freaking master at this. You really, absolutely, totally are. That model is breathtaking.

Awe-some. Let's hope I don't F the helmet up.

Dan

Edited by Dan The Deamon

What proper Night Lord can resist capturing and controlling a central comms array, the power generators of a hive/city or the control tower of a star port - so that the civilians cannot 'run away' ? gallery_11038_675_1828.gif

there is a good part the the novel Lord of the Night which is effectively this

haven't got it with me but its attack the enemies eyes hands heart and soul or summit - would recommend that as it sums up night lord objectives very well

That's really incredible work Dan. It's crazy how you keep pushing yourself to create work of such high quality.

How do you like working with the brown putty? I picked some up a while back but have yet to use it. I wouldn't even consider sculpting a helmet out of green stuff, so seeing what you're able to do with the brown makes me want to give it a go.

Considering the amount of detail you put into your work, you should try out some of these rivets from Grandt Line Products. Here's the LINK. Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page to check them out. The .063" rivets are too big for use on power armour but the .043" round rivets look the same as the rivets on the MK6 shoulder pad. The .032" look good on helmets and gauntlets and other little details (unfortunately they don't have any small rivets). I've had good results with them and I think you'd like them.

Keep up the great work man!

The second model is just as great as the first. If you manage to make the head look as aquiline, like your inspiration, it will really be stunning. Your work is actually getting me out of my painting/modelling slump I've been in for the past few months.

Question - you mind if I steal the sword idea, but make it a chainblade? I think it'd look great on a counts-as-Khârn I'm knocking together.

Ferrus, i'm working on a 3rd Raptor now, and the helmet for #2 so I can get a Tut up. I will be taking pictures along the way in order to log just how i went about doing it. My only answer to the questions from the first helmet was "I don't know how i did it".

I meant a tutorial for your truescaling. Sorry, should have been clearer. However, I'm still excited about this <_<

I meant a tutorial for your truescaling. Sorry, should have been clearer. However, I'm still excited about this :cuss

Yeah I wasn't being clear either. I meant i would take pics of the 3nd raptor W.I.P. and the 2nd helmet W.I.P. So yes a true-scale tut is on the way.

Martox, run amok with anything you see. I'm glad you've been inspired enough to get kick started. Best of luck, and keep us updated.

Brother Aristeo, for some reason I started using Brown Stuff back when I began my Daemon Prince. It feels to be a little softer to me, and dries harder so you can carve and file it a little better. I always get a smooth finish when working with it as well. For a little bit there was always consistency problems with my GS. Like little sand pellets or something always ruined the mix so i got fed up and ordered the brown.

Carving and sculpting away

Dan

Ever time I come into this thread I get the sudden urge to sell everything and start over.

EXPAND YOUR CRUSADES.

I'm a fan

DeathByFear

One speeder turned into Two. My Games Day prize paid for about half of one of these.

gallery_31335_1757_62438.jpg

Motivation for using PA dex's other than Chaos is low, so they haven't gotten much attention.

Dan

Dan Dan Dan Dan DAMN DAN !... Where do I even begin sir.

As a latecomer to this awe inspiring thread let me first salute you for chosing a faction of the Ruinous Powers and doing them more justice than is [in]humanly possible. Secondly, I commend and applaud your expert kitbashing skills. You effortlessly combine the most simple and obscure parts from across all ranges. You are truly a master of your craft. Thirdly [ this could be a LONG list ] your painting and sculpting skills are top shelf.

In short sir, I don't think this thread could be any better even if your name was Jervis Doghouse Melnick Perry McVey .

If i may ask you 2 simple questions [ not counting this one of course ].

1. Any plans of giving Night Haunter / Konrad Curze a go ? [ would be a shame not to, espcially with your skills ]

2. You're in North Texas, where in the US do you find 1-2mm plasticard? I can't find any on the East Coast.

Edited by Firefighter X

They are looking good! Can't wait to see the finished project. I love the fact that you just find models that you like and turn them into something related somehow to your Night Lords. I actually had this same thought but i didnt know what to run them as. I was also going to buy the Forge World Elyrian Snipers. They don't exactly fit into the Chaos Space Marines, but hey, who cares. I would use them for friendly games and just the fact that they look stunning and with a little conversion would really be worth it. And if that fails I can always just say they are renegades.