Night Lords 18th Battle Company (Treadhead)

Here is #3. No tutorial yet, as he was 90% done when the Tut pictures started. #4 is on the way and being documented. No progress on the helmets worth posting. Hope you enjoy, Melta gun guy.

gallery_31335_1757_65543.jpg

gallery_31335_1757_34225.jpg

gallery_31335_1757_59547.jpg

DeathByFear; I know what you mean about those Elysian Snipers. *Wink Wink*

Firefighter X; You rock sir. I've thought a lot about doing the Haunter, but every time i think about it i decide not to. If i'm making standard marines look as imposing as I can i don't know how I'd do a Primarch any justice. That and I believe Primarchs to be pretty damn cool. I wouldn't want to nail Cruze down to a specific look any more than I'd like to limit the modeling potential of Warhammer...if that makes any sense.

I got the plasticard about 3 years ago in a Hobby town outside of Knoxville. It came in this orange plastic sleeve called plastistruct or something. I got a trial sleeve so i have all these funny tile shapes of different sizes that i've been lucky enough not to run out of. Let me see if i can dig a link up.

Dan

Just looking at the parts list you use for each mini is astounding.. What's your hobby budget per month? LOL

A few questions sir.

Why are the shoulderpads and packs that dusty pewter color?

Is the Brownstuff way easier to work with than the GS?

Where'd you score the small diameter brass rod?

Is a tut for Dansizing on the way?

Dost mine eyes deceive me or have I spotted a resin cast skull and chain in pic #1.?

I'm amazed everytime I come here...You just keep delivering top shelf stuff.

A word hasn't been invented yet to describe the magnitude of greatness you've reach here Dan..

I mean how do you describe something, like this thread, that is smoother than Keith Stone and tougher than Chuck Norris' beardhairs?

/fanboi mode <OFF>

FFX

Edited by Firefighter X

Ohhh sweet! :wacko: another gorgeus one! Love the chest plate on this one and looks like he is about to jump bost a big astartes jump and land before some sucker and releav him of his head :huh: And very nice and cool to see that you use the raptor shoulder plates aswell to tie in the raptor part even more in your insanely sweet models!

Though id like to se some hooks or something more on that wicked weapon of his.. ? looks a bit bare sofar.. ? might be that its still in wip... :o cool none the less!!

Cheers and salute untill the back pains gets to me ;)

Edited by Xavier Targhost

gallery_31335_1757_59547.jpg

DeathByFear; I know what you mean about those Elysian Snipers. *Wink Wink*

Dan

Not to be judgy or anything but this doesnt look near as menacing as the second raptor... IMO you should let the CC weapon be looser like the second raptor; this raptor just looks a bit tense to me. And the melta just looks a little off. Its got a weird angle to it. I see this raptor with a lot of potential its just not being portrayed correctly. To me this raptor looks more like he is lunging forward and his weapons should be a little behind his core. Thats my thought about this raptor. But of course it is your opinion how your models be portrayed. Any way you do it it is still going to look damn near breathtaking.

And those Elysian Snipers; Forge World knows how to make some great figures, the Elysians are just some of them. You just gotta love 'em.

Ah i guess you can't argue with the truth. The only comments i've gotten about this guy have been negative. At least they have all been constructive. truth be told i don't think i can match the pose of #2. I will work on this guy a little tomorrow. It's a shame too because i was prett pumped about his chest piece. I'm stuck in a kind of, keep them nuetral state of mind. I don't want to commit too much to a hack/shoot pose so i've been tip toeing around these guys. Opinions are welcome

FirefighterX

Why are the shoulderpads and packs that dusty pewter color?

That's what's been happening when I leave my bits in Superclean a little too long. They are tarnished, but otherwise fine.

Is the Brownstuff way easier to work with than the GS?

I think so. I had an old ribbon of GS that was very inconsistent and gave me nothing but troubles. I like the brown because it seems softer, and dries harder.

Where'd you score the small diameter brass rod?

There are these little bags in every Hobby Lobby called Sizes & Shapes "your bread and butter for scratch building" They have everything from finger sized tubes to tiny little ones to pin and convert with. It's a clear plastic bag with a blue label. $16.

Is a tut for Dansizing on the way?

Yeah, i mauled legs #4 so pictures are coming slowly. Rest assured a tutorial of my unnecessarily complex true scaling is on the way.

Dost mine eyes deceive me or have I spotted a resin cast skull and chain in pic #1.?

Yeah, i think i counted the skulls up once and was close to 60 or 80. I don't remember off the top of my head. When the new Marauder Horsemen came out some buddies and I split about 8 boxes. I made off with the skulls 'n' chains, they got space wolf heads, for like three months...I've only made about three or four of the resin ones. I still have a huge amount of WHFB skeletons to work with before i get too desperate.

What's your hobby budget per month? LOL

Oh have I been thinking of ways to answer this...I Still don't know how

Edited by Dan The Deamon

The chest piece is a marvel and the composition of the combipistol is a masterstroke.

Nobody has a beef with his modelling or his detail or your method of truescaling (never that!), the trouble is with the pose. Is he cold and stamping his feet? Doing the hokey pokey? It's ambiguous and not especially threatening at present, which jars somewhat when contrasted with his physical form - which is threatening indeed.

Can you break him at the pelvic ball socket and lean his torso to his left? That would shift his weight off his right leg (which would put him in motion a bit and change the whole ball game, but a little motion might still fit your neutral idea).

If you replace his right foot with an up-on-the-ball-of the-foot one then he's landing - also neatly explaining why his arms are out. Might not gel with the rest of the squad, but have a look.

Don't worry about altering the arms until the feet-and-legs-to-shoulders relationship is defined. That informs the arms what their options are.

Is it too late to replace one or both of the legs entirely? Both feet touching the ground gives you options.

I think that a simple fix would be just to rotate the arms a smidge so they are pointed just a little bit behind the body. It would look like he is landing on a charge or lunging into a charge. Just thought I would put that in there. BTW theres no beef with the model, I saw that chest piece and i was in complete awe... After staring at it for about 2 minutes I just thought the pose looked a little awkward, Thats all.

Opinions welcome on the helmet.

gallery_31335_1757_27304.jpg

gallery_31335_1757_135196.jpg

Marshal 2, i pretty much paint one at a time. When i try and do more i find that I rush and mess things up.

Raptor #3 has been altered. Pictures shortly.

Edit, new shot of helmet, and re-done #3

gallery_31335_1757_57700.jpg

Dan

Edited by Dan The Deamon

I like the sculpt. In the first couple pictures it looks to be a bit too high up though; the neck is too long.

Yeah I really should have done something about that before Pics. It's just resting in the neck joint for pictures of the sculpt at this point. I haven't done any carving to get it to fit flush yet, so yeah it looks funny.

The helmet on both raptors is the same sculpt. I just stuck it on #3 so i could put some updated pictures of the pose and different views of the helmet. It does have a Predator feel which i kind of like. I tried to screaming vox grille on the 1st one and didn't really like the feel of it. I still like the blank face and scary eyes of the masks so it may be a middle ground I play around with. I still have a handful more helmets to do so i'll have opportunities to try it out.

The top and mouthpiece are really good but, the sections beneath the eye-lenses are very uneven in comparison.

Personally I'd redo those to be just as smooth as the upper trim.

If that makes any sense.

Edited by Brother Nihm

Good responses and crit on the helmet guys. I went ahead and glued the helmet onto the mini just to keep the project moving but the design is evolving based off your responses. Here's two more of the squad. Raptor #3 was torn apart because he just wasn't up to par...

So Mercutian has got to be one of my favorite up and coming members of First Claw. After The Core and a little piece of art in the new BA codex i decided this needed to be done.

gallery_31335_1757_32308.jpg

gallery_31335_1757_58054.jpg

I'll play it as a flamer with flechette rounds, or a MoK, or a sorc. Whatever, I want my raptors to have a Heavy Bolter.

Honored brother of the Taurus marines. Joined up with my 18th raptors.

gallery_31335_1757_181.jpg

And finally i've decided to put some of my older models to use. Some have been promoted to new models and some torn to shreds to maintain those "working" members of my Co. The vets are going into a Chosen squad, with some upgrades of course.

gallery_31335_1757_44243.jpg

Dan