Thanks kage.

Sorry my little "Tantrum" Is unnecessary..

Being Stuck between not feeling like my Alpha legion Design is Detailed or fleshed out enough yet, and the Offer to sell, had me sitting around staring at my desk the entire Day I had set aside to sculpt my little toy soldiers..

The ability to slap together an VIIIth legion Marine and have him Ooze more character than the models for the legion im actually trying to flesh out, proves I have more detailing to do..

Don't beat yourself up too much man. Alpha legion is a rough one to tackle because they're all about subtlety. It's easy (relative where your sculpting is concerned lol) to throw bat wing icons, skulls, and chains on a model and people will know it's a Night Lord. Same goes for Khorne, Nurgle, Slaanesh, and Tzeentch. They all have very distinct bits and pieces that make it clear what legion they belong to. Making Alpha legion is a true test because you have to impress by deliberately dressing down. They're tactical operators, they aren't loud and bombastic, they are tacticians and pragmatists. Chains and skulls aren't stealthy, neither are giant batwings.

I think your AL guys are coming along really nicely, don't get too discouraged. If you feel up to it, something I've always loved on AL guys is cloaks like you gave your one Plague Marine. It fits their whole Fremin Feydakiin/operator vibe. Just some food for thought, don't give up though!

Thanks kage.

Sorry my little "Tantrum" Is unnecessary..

Being Stuck between not feeling like my Alpha legion Design is Detailed or fleshed out enough yet, and the Offer to sell, had me sitting around staring at my desk the entire Day I had set aside to sculpt my little toy soldiers..

The ability to slap together an VIIIth legion Marine and have him Ooze more character than the models for the legion im actually trying to flesh out, proves I have more detailing to do..

Like Heinrich said, don't beat yourself up too much about it. An offer like that requires some serious consideration, especially with the constraints you set for yourself on the hobby.

Looks great! I like the new distressing of the big head on the base.

And this will probably be something incredibly simple that I'm gonna facepalm about once you reveal it, but did you do the little conical spikes on the backpack?

I would like to offer my two cents here on your commission dilemma Z, if you haven't made up your mind already. I think that you should go ahead and sell the Nurgle and Slannesh marines. While your work on them was amazing to say the least I think that getting rid of them and focusing on the Alpha Legion will really force you to expand your modeling skills in new directions. The fact that you are coming up with new and innovative ways to depict an unknown legion says volumes already. You don't have established archetypes to fall back on and you have to constantly forge ahead to make a unique and recognizable army. I think that will be much more satisfying in the end.

@Kage they aren't conical, They little four sided wedge spikes.. The kinda look round in these pics though..

Im not at all adverse to selling any project Ive ever worked on.. Fact is It's quite the opposite. I usually just see all my flaws when I look at any of my finished work and cant wait to get rid of it and try to do it better..

However, the plan was to build a playable list this time around.. While Im not sure how everyone else plays their Chaos army under the current dex, I dont use regular troops at all..

I run a Marked Lord, Elites((plague/noise marines)) as my troops, Drakes, and either oblits, or Havocs.. So This troop build was purely Aesthetic in the first place..

Either Way it doesnt really matter..

Join us in 30k. Join us. Join us.

Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew.  Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew.

Join us in 30k. Join us. Join us.

Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew.  Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew.

Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew. Part of the ship, part of the crew......

lol

http://i.imgur.com/lpKtUY0.gif

Prettymuch speechless with regard to the sculpting here, it really is astounding.

I have a couple of minor questions, if you don't mind:this is probably an odd one, but how difficult is it to make those spikes you put on the alpha legion backpacks? They put me in mind of the sons of horus reavers, and that's a very good look. I don't have a great deal of GS skill or any real sculpting experience to speak of, but I'd like to give the spikes a shot if they're not too tough - any tips?

The other question is about the night lorfd backpack. It looks great, I assume it's a CSM backpack with the... pylon things... cut off and the vents attatched straight to the main power plant? How involved is this? Is it easily replicable, or does it take hours of sawing and rebuilding? (and again, is there a particular trick to it? I'd like to try it)

Ah what the hell

Part of the ship, part of the crew, part of the ship, part of the crew, Part of the ship, part of the crew, part of the ship, part of the crew

Part of the ship, part of the crew, part of the ship, part of the crew, Part of the ship, part of the crew, part of the ship, part of the crew

Despite the creepy Davy Jones vibe I brought into the room (the HH forum has quite the recruitment drive huh? lol), I would truly love to see your interpretation of the Infiltrator armour from Legion, set in the 30k realm. With your skill, and love of the shadowed XX, I really think you could knock it out of the park.

lol

Despite the creepy Davy Jones vibe I brought into the room (the HH forum has quite the recruitment drive huh? lol), I would truly love to see your interpretation of the Infiltrator armour from Legion, set in the 30k realm. With your skill, and love of the shadowed XX, I really think you could knock it out of the park.

Quite a Recruitment drive indeed.. 

Ive considered it.. Ive looked in on all your work a number of times as well and been tempted even further..

But for as slow as I work, a box of 10 marines for 30$ will last me a month or 2, of just sitting back converting every one.. One or two of those ill turn into special characters for commissions on the side and pay for the next box without even trying.. If I was to move into 30k I would actually have to work, and do real commissions to afford it..

Prettymuch speechless with regard to the sculpting here, it really is astounding.

I have a couple of minor questions, if you don't mind:this is probably an odd one, but how difficult is it to make those spikes you put on the alpha legion backpacks? They put me in mind of the sons of horus reavers, and that's a very good look. I don't have a great deal of GS skill or any real sculpting experience to speak of, but I'd like to give the spikes a shot if they're not too tough - any tips?

The other question is about the night lorfd backpack. It looks great, I assume it's a CSM backpack with the... pylon things... cut off and the vents attatched straight to the main power plant? How involved is this? Is it easily replicable, or does it take hours of sawing and rebuilding? (and again, is there a particular trick to it? I'd like to try it)

For The spike I drew an X on piece of plactic card and plopped a tiny piece of greenstuff in the middle of it.. Using the lines to keep  straight its easy to take your time and make a nice little spike. After it was cured I cut it off of the plasticard and glued it to a stick and used that to make a pressmold so I could mass produce 20 at a time. The trick is to do/pick One and mass produce it so they all look identical..

a rounded spike is even easier having to just roll out a little Greenstuff cone on your table and do the same..

As far as the backpack goes, that was really simple. You can Tell they were just added on.. took just a couple of quick cuts and a loyalist pack for reference.

When I really started sculpting I Was Playing Orks, Ogres, and Beastmen.. Im really good at fluid sculpts(faces, musculature, etc..), but I never really done a lot of the rudimentary sculpting, Making simple design choices like keeping all helmets on, a challenge for me.. I cant do what I'm best at to distract you from my bad design choices..

I've been looking at a lot of artwork, and ive removed all the wax purity seals from the model((I'll keep them on the base)). I'll be replacing them with Different icons/pins.. The spikes on the back pack were small and understated so I changed them..

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff70/Zsoulless/DSC02566_zpsa02d7f52.jpg

Ill be adding scales to the cape I think, to give me that reptile(hydra) feel while still remaining understated..

Thanks Guys! I like the direction its going and I don't see any Blaring problems..

I popped the scales on his cloak.. center pouch on his shoulder must have gotten smooshed and I'll  replace that.. My chainmail needs work but I'll leave it, I'll Just make sure to practice that more along the way..

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff70/Zsoulless/DSC02573_zps0e33d6db.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff70/Zsoulless/DSC02577_zps3b6ecb62.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff70/Zsoulless/DSC02572_zpsefdf8dd6.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff70/Zsoulless/DSC02569_zps842056da.jpg

im Letting him sit a few hours, Then I'll Prime Him and work on Knocking out my paint scheme..

Should be a lot Easier to build a cohesive Unit once I Have One Fleshed out..

With any luck we will be looking at my Effrit Stealth Squad/Seeker Squad Omega soon..

Archived