Evening all,

I have finished the seventh Night Lord to date and am now working on the second (third) Sergeant. My plan is to use the chap with the Lightning claw and bolt pistol in my command squad and then replace him with a sergeant using a Chainglaive. Give the first Night Lord painted for this army a more prominent position in the army :)

Ok here he is:

SAM_1263.JPG SAM_1264.JPG SAM_1265.JPG

I was unsure about using a helmet with a bionic eye but am pleased with how it worked out.

C&C welcome as always :tu:

Nemac

The new mini looks great as usual. If you're elevating the lightning claw guy to command squad are you going to add more stuff to him too? I mean he looks awesome as is already but with your skills some more trophies or a skin cape could look really cool. 

Ok so I have finished the latest Sergeant for my Night Lords. This is one of my favourite models to date, very happy with the pose and how the loin cloth came out. I filed down the chaos markings on the Raptor chainsword so it was a little more 'plain'. The loincloth is a cast from one of the Black Templar tabards and then pushed into place with a silicon shaper.

Night%2BLord%2BSergeant.png

The head is from the Chaplain Cassius model  with the bottom connector removed so it fits into the MKIV torso.

I have also received my copy of Burning of Prospero, It is brilliant in my opinion. So many parts for me to play around with it's not even funny. On that note my next three marines have been assembled and are nearly ready to go.

SAM_1281.JPG

I have a small amount of clean up to do on these and then decide whether to add a few more skulls and bits. I may not add any of those bits to these guys as they all have the flayed skin on shoulders and under the leather straps on one guy. I am really looking forward to painting MKIII terror masks.

C&C welcome as always :tu:

Nemac

Best Night Lords I've ever seen! They truly stand in midnight clad! The "base" power armour colour is fantastic, the converting tasteful, and just the right amount of lightning! I bookmarked this for the likely eventuality of painting some Night Lords!

Thanks Chaz, kind words :). I'm pleased you have book marked this but if I can be of any further assistance then please shoot me a PM. I am already trying to sort out a tutorial on how I do the armour so hopefully you will have a better reference :tu:

Sweet work, they are well up there along with your Word Bearers amongst my favourite trator-logs.

Thanks very much  Pheidias :), My Word Bearers are on the back burner at the moment but with the release of Custodes I may have a little something soon involving the Gal Vorbak and a Guardian Spear :wink:.

Update coming shortly.

Nemac

Evening all,

I have finished my first mini from Burning of Prospero, a MKIII marine:

SAM_1289.JPG   SAM_1291.JPG 

SAM_1295.JPG

Very much enjoyed painting this guy but it is a lot more work than the MKIV marines but never mind, only 29 more to go :cry:. 

C&C welcome as always :thumbsup:

Nemac

Stunning!

Thanks very much Bio :D

Wow the terror mask looks great on the MKIII head too. Also I'm excited we get to see at least 29 more Night Lords from you :smile.:

Thanks Vairocanum :D, I also have five terminators, five more MKIV, and I am hoping to get hold of Sevatar or Curze soon. I really am excited to have the primarch.

Nemac

Best Night Lords I've ever seen! They truly stand in midnight clad! The "base" power armour colour is fantastic, the converting tasteful, and just the right amount of lightning! I bookmarked this for the likely eventuality of painting some Night Lords!

Thanks Chaz, kind words :smile.:. I'm pleased you have book marked this but if I can be of any further assistance then please shoot me a PM. I am already trying to sort out a tutorial on how I do the armour so hopefully you will have a better reference :thumbsup:

I will, thanks! A tutorial would be amazing when I do start painting up some Night Lords (it'll be a much later point, currently working on an Alpha Legion force with Renegade Guard, Crimson Corsair, and Thousand Son allies)! 

Love the MKIII! The red hand detail is a lovely touch!

Seeing that MKIII makes me think they could work as EC's now! I wasn't convinced, as the official paint jobs are pretty uninspiring! 

I've never really associated MKIII with NL's but that marine looks one brutal Son of a ..... Awesome work with the terror markings. Love this thread, I really want to do Night Lords again....

Thanks Chaz, kind words :smile.:. I'm pleased you have book marked this but if I can be of any further assistance then please shoot me a PM. I am already trying to sort out a tutorial on how I do the armour so hopefully you will have a better reference :thumbsup:

I will, thanks! A tutorial would be amazing when I do start painting up some Night Lords (it'll be a much later point, currently working on an Alpha Legion force with Renegade Guard, Crimson Corsair, and Thousand Son allies)! 

Love the MKIII! The red hand detail is a lovely touch!

Thanks Chaz, I have a day off tomorrow so I will try my best to get that tutorial sorted out. I can't promise anything though as my memory has a habit of failing me on a regular basis. I even had to start over on one of my Night Lord's because I forgot about the shade haha. I went with one red hand, for reasons previously mentioned :D

Seeing that MKIII makes me think they could work as EC's now! I wasn't convinced, as the official paint jobs are pretty uninspiring! 

I've never really associated MKIII with NL's but that marine looks one brutal Son of a ..... Awesome work with the terror markings. Love this thread, I really want to do Night Lords again....

I was the same regarding the MKIII at first but after a very inspiring google search, found that they could look pretty good. I think EC's could look pretty sweet in MKIII so I would like to see what you end up doing :tu:. Thanks for the kind words, I will try and continue making you want to join the midnight clad :wink:

You are really cranking these out Nemac, great work all. I like your idea with the GS tabard too btw, one I will definitely borrow.

Thanks very much Midnight :D. This is actually the longest I have ever spent painting a single miniature lol, It does help that I am really enjoying these though. The little tabards are so simple but work out pretty nicely, It isn't my idea though, I have to credit some guy on YouTube who's name escapes me. The one thing I will say is once the front has been put into the mold it may be an idea to use your shapers to make a few 'folds in the back otherwise you end up with very flat cloth/skin on one side and all the detail on the other.

Next MKIII will be up tomorrow and then I will spend the day on that tutorial :)

Thanks again folks.

Nemac

I'm not using any filters or enhancing the photos, just adding borders which are 'Blacknin' and 'Cornered' :). On my Word Bearers I used a ghostly looking filter called 'Antonio'. Hope that helps. I am also nearing completion on that armour guide :tu:

Nemac

I have been asked by a few people how I paint my Night Lords so i have spent this morning making a quick tutorial explaining how I paint the main armour panels on each miniature.

Stage 1:

Stage%2B1.JPG

Starting with a basecoat of black primer and then painting in all the armour panels with Abaddon Black.

Stage 2:

Stage%2B2.JPG

I painted in armour all the edges of the armour with a 1/1 mix of Abaddon Black and Kantor Blue (Regal Blue is the old colour)

Stage 3:

Stage%2B3.JPG

This time I painted Kantor Blue over the areas leaving the previous colour showing towards the centre of each panel.

Stage 4:

Stage%2B4.JPG

I then washed the armour on the model with Drakenhof Nightshade (old colour is Asurman Blue). My pot is fairly old so seems to give a slight gloss effect when dry which I don't mind at all.

Stage 5:

Stage%2B5.JPG

This time I painted a 1/1 mix of Kantor Blue and Caledor sky (old colour is Enchanted Blue) over the areas as an edge highlight.

Stage 6:

Stage%2B6.JPG

This time I added Fenrisian Grey (old colour is Space Wolves Grey) to the mix in stage 5 and painted it on as a very thin edge highlight and not letting it go to the darker parts of the model such as the inside of the legs. You can also repeat stages 5 and 6 for the lightning patterns, just adding in pure Fenrisian Grey at the points where the lightning arches and splits.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this is useful to you folks. This is just how I do it but am sure you can tweak it to your own specific needs :smile.:

Nemac

Archived