[DW] Blackthorn and Swordhand: OOC Thread

Commissar Molotov

To bad you lot couldn't bar the door and burn down the temple...:whistling:

At any rate, I should have my post up sometime this morning... once I figure out what I want Tyber to do then figure out a way to do it... So far I'm leaning towards having Ryken hand over a plasma flask, then using the bolt pistol to detonate it so that the explosion cuts a hole big enough and deep enough in the floor for us to drop through to the basement... or at least have it weaken the floor enough that the weight and ground pressure of the Chimera is enough for it to fall through the floor surprising anything below (and wreaking the suspension of the Chimera in the process)...

Strat wise, I think using the side halls to funnel the enemies to us into rather tight confines would work best since it limits how much of...well... anything can get at us.

In either case, I feel like charging down the center, even those with Jump Packs, to get to the Broodlord asap without first thinning the ranks seems like a surefire way to get instagibbed.

Splitting the team in half and going either side hall would work. Alternatively, we could just hunker down in the entrance room we're in and funnel them all to us.

To bad you lot couldn't bar the door and burn down the temple...:whistling:

That is an excellent idea. But totally unheroic. So, sadly, no. :wink:

Depends on whom you ask... the Vikings found ti very heroic to do to monks during the various invasions of England...:wink:

But seriously though, anti-climactic as it would be, it would be efficient.:yes: (Not that I've had characters do things like that in past campaigns or anything...:whistling:  )

I suppose the counter would be that you may not be able to guarantee the Broodlord's death if you do that! 

Xin - my thoughts are that the Assault Marines could use their jump packs within the main chamber.

Steel - Per post #1020, this underground temple is relatively deep underground - further than any basements. You will have trouble doing something like that!

Mazer: 

Similar to what I said to Steel - I can't imagine a lizard-bull the size of a rhino will fit all the way down! Narratively, once you've broken the grox and crushed the  rebels outside, Akkad can make it downstairs.

I know CM, but it could get us blow the maze of meat walls though, make it harder for what ever is ambushing us to ambush us. Tyber doesn't do stealth, and chasing shadows irritates him to no end, as per one of the first posts in the main thread where he lamented about it being a bug hunt, saying that chasing shadows was beneath Astartes, a task better left to the Imperial Army.:happy.:

Edit: on a second thought, CM what pysicic disciplines does Ryken have access to? For instance, does he have access to the Divination discipline from Dark Haeresy 1.0? (specifically the dowsing power?)

Edited by Steel Company

Steel - there is no maze! If it hasn't been communicated well, look at this article to give you a sense. You're simply in one large room with lots of meat hanging from the walls. 

With that said, you have more immediate problems to hand! 

I know CM, but it could get us blow the maze of meat walls though, make it harder for what ever is ambushing us to ambush us. Tyber doesn't do stealth, and chasing shadows irritates him to no end, as per one of the first posts in the main thread where he lamented about it being a bug hunt, saying that chasing shadows was beneath Astartes, a task better left to the Imperial Army.:happy.:

Edit: on a second thought, CM what pysicic disciplines does Ryken have access to? For instance, does he have access to the Divination discipline from Dark Haeresy 1.0? (specifically the dowsing power?)

He's a Pyromancer I believe Steel.

MR.

He's a Pyromancer I believe Steel.

MR.

darn... ahh well, that's fine for now...

Post is up, and thanks for the clearing up what I thought was going on CM.:sweat:

I think what I put up works, should flush it out of cover pretty quick.:wink:

Edit:

Tyber's general thinking in my post:

When your quarry goes to ground, leave no ground to go too.

--The Operative, Serenity

Edited by Steel Company

My vote is to keep them pinned from the front and draw them in....

Until the rest of the team crashes through the roof with the 2-12 and buries them beneath a gazillion tons of rubble and tank.

Wouldn't that be utterly cinematic :)

Swordhand Players: 

As the next part of creating your characters, the members of Kill-Team Swordhand have 40 requisition each to gain extra equipment. 

As this is something the IX doesn't include yet, I would encourage you to check out the Living Errata (Pages 10-14) - you may select any items with a blank renown requirement. 

In addition: 

Weapon Upgrades per p.157 of the core rulebook; useful for things like sights, melee attachments and the like;

Special Issue Ammunition per P.159 

(Hellfire Rounds at 25/magazine, Kraken at 5/magazine, Metal Storm at 15/magazine, Stalker Rounds at 5/magazine - all of these costs halved for pistols!) 

Any other equipment (such as auspexes, etc.,) from either the core rulebook or the Rites of Battle lists. 

Let me know if you have any queries regarding this; 

Slips/A.T./Xin: 

As it appears I'm running Vaidan and Varvost (and potentially may be doing some of Greysight's actions) I am happy for you to discuss and suggest. Equally, if Mazer/Steel wish to do so, that could be cool. Both Vaidan and Greysight have hellfire ammunition. It does seem that moving up to the doors may be useful. Varvost has the Whirlwind of Death talent so he is better against hordes now, but he also has abilities that he can use against single powerful targets also. 

Hopefully I can get down there with Ryken soon-ish, before combat is over.... just need to flush our quarry out of hiding and kill it, the Chimera should help with that...

With Varvost having Whirlwind of Death, he is going to be a real murder machine against hordes now, especially with having swift attack.

Tactics wise, forcing the targets to you, through a limited engagement arc is a solid course of action, trapping them with limited advancement also works really well... like perhaps set them on the other side of the fast moving water and gunning them down there... I think that could be done by having a faster Astartes (Atratus) draw them in with weapons fire, leading them back to everyone else set for an ambush.

I will mention though that I feel like we wont be all that able to drag them too far from the "Church" in question AND that the building obviously has more than one exit. So, for one, we cant let the Broodlord out of our sight; if he does, he might go to ground and regroup with more cultists slowing us down.

So, we have a few options that I can see:

• Stay where we are and funnel them to us; doable and possibly one of the better options since it means we're all within arms reach to aid one another.
  • Split into two sub-sub teams and break left/right and funnel the enemies to us through the sub rooms we can see on the map.
  • Go Balls to the wall and rush down the center and do whatever we can to kill the Broodlord ASAP.
  • We move as a group through one of the side rooms instead of splitting up.

So since I took Signature Weapon with Vorr he gets his Soundstrike Missile Launcher for free - the armoury says the launcher gets frag and krak missiles as standard but you can buy extra it says this: Requisition value is only for evaluating requests deemed “excessive”. So I still have 40 req to play with so think I will take a Concussion Missile for 20 Req and a magazine of Hellfire Ammunition for his Bolt Pistol at 12.5 Req (should I round that up to 13?)

Vorr has a little Req to spare if any Swordhand marines want 7 or 7.5 Req?  

(I was kinda tempted to grab the Astartes Armoursbane Missile Launcher but we aren't in the Jericho Reach and it seems like it would be really powerful with a natural +20 BS!)

Edited by Reyner

Since I get a free clip of Special Issue Ammunition I'll take a magazine of Hellfire bolts for free, then take another clip of Hellfire (25 Req), and a clip of Metal Storm rounds (10 Req). I'm left with 5 Req that someone else can use or that I use for something I might have overlooked.

I am kind of tempted to take a shotgun (although it's not that much better than a Bolt Pistol :sad.:) or a Chainsword for close encounters.

Assault-variant shotguns do have fully automatic fire, allowing them to be used to suppress targets at short ranges and at point blank you add together the extra hits for autofire and scatter - for example if you hit by 6 DoS (easy to do against hordes) you'd get your full five hits from the shots and three more from scatter.