Thousand Sons - Those Once Loyal - Contemptor Dread WIP

Aasfresser

Whoa, what an update! The Plague Marines are great, the Obliterator is even better (I still canoot get over the brilliance of that conversion), and the Cypher is absolutely incredible! I really love how he's so pale and sinister, yet also retains a certain nobility. Fantastic stuff!

Those are incredible. I especially like how you did the cables for the plasma cannon on the obliterator, it has a perfect mix of the organic and the mechanical, and it's suitably disgusting as well. I'm also impressed how good the grimy Thousand Sons colors look.

Man, you've got Nurgle's rot & rust down pat and Cypher looks suitably mysterious. But my favourite has to be the Obliterator, the flesh colour alone makes him stand out. It will be great to see him together with his buddies.

Whoa, what an update! The Plague Marines are great, the Obliterator is even better (I still canoot get over the brilliance of that conversion), and the Cypher is absolutely incredible! I really love how he's so pale and sinister, yet also retains a certain nobility. Fantastic stuff!

Thank you Kraut! I'm happy the oblit conversion is so well received. You should check out Isengrins Oblits, too. I've got the idea to use the helbrute heads for the oblits from his thread. And now after some time, I have to say I start liking my Cypher more and more. Checkers make everything so much better, ask the green-skins :D

Those are incredible. I especially like how you did the cables for the plasma cannon on the obliterator, it has a perfect mix of the organic and the mechanical, and it's suitably disgusting as well. I'm also impressed how good the grimy Thousand Sons colors look.

Thanks! But I haven't used TS colors on the oblit :D It's my Black Legion scheme, the black has a strong blue-green portion.

Man, you've got Nurgle's rot & rust down pat and Cypher looks suitably mysterious. But my favourite has to be the Obliterator, the flesh colour alone makes him stand out. It will be great to see him together with his buddies.

Thanks! One of his buddies is already 50% painted. Lets see if I'll find the time to get him done this weekend.

Cypher, the obliterator and the plague marines, all extremely good work :thumbsup:

Thank you Kierdale! Can't wait for some pastel-loving obliterators from you :)

Beautiful update, bro. That Cypher conversion looks truly majestic - so much better than the original. 

As others and I myself have said before, that obliterator is such a brilliant conversion. One of the best out there.

Poop marines are poopy. :tu: 

• 5 months later...

So, with all the new shiny things for the TS I'm a bit overwhelmed. I still have a lot of unpainted Rubricae converted from the BoC box and two Sorc conversions, also a started demonprince conversion and the still not finished Necrosphinxdefiler.... And a box of Cataphractii Terminators which is waiting for conversion into my first Scarab Occult squad, just need some kopesh swords from the TK or the new box. 

I'm going to buy new TS stuff in February, if I can resist the urge... Maybe a small box of SC or Rubrics. Or Arhiman or the Ex Sorcs.... Damn.

I'm a bit disappointed that most of my sorcs don't have staves and I really don't want to change them... I like the look with axes, staves and swords mixed and matched. Time to start finish that DP conversion and some random Rubricae...

So, with all the new shiny things for the TS I'm a bit overwhelmed. I still have a lot of unpainted Rubricae converted from the BoC box and two Sorc conversions, also a started demonprince conversion and the still not finished Necrosphinxdefiler.... And a box of Cataphractii Terminators which is waiting for conversion into my first Scarab Occult squad, just need some kopesh swords from the TK or the new box. 

I'm going to buy new TS stuff in February, if I can resist the urge... Maybe a small box of SC or Rubrics. Or Arhiman or the Ex Sorcs.... Damn.

I'm a bit disappointed that most of my sorcs don't have staves and I really don't want to change them... I like the look with axes, staves and swords mixed and matched. Time to start finish that DP conversion and some random Rubricae...

You seem to be missing asking family member & friends to maybe get you a few box set for Christmas??  Feb a bit to long & it been a while since seen some really cool models update.

As for the Sorcerer, sure if it just game against your friends they'll be ok.  Just let them know before the game start.

Just got the new Arhiman model during the weekend there.  I think you'd enjoy painting the new updated version of this model.  There a lot cool stuff that you don't really see in the photos over on the Games Workshop web site.

I'm starting to see a lot Magnus models been posted up on the Games Workshop army painter group on facebook.

You seem to be missing asking family member & friends to maybe get you a few box set for Christmas??  Feb a bit to long & it been a while since seen some really cool models update.

As for the Sorcerer, sure if it just game against your friends they'll be ok.  Just let them know before the game start.

Just got the new Arhiman model during the weekend there.  I think you'd enjoy painting the new updated version of this model.  There a lot cool stuff that you don't really see in the photos over on the Games Workshop web site.

I'm starting to see a lot Magnus models been posted up on the Games Workshop army painter group on facebook.

Nah, I really have more than enough a t the moment. I'm getting Traitor Legions as a belated birthday gift and my GF and family are gifting me stuff for my plants as I'm going full retard on Lithops and carnivorous plants as soon as I killed of my (fish-free) fish tank during vacation. 

I'm exited for your Ahriman, and I really want that guy on a disc in my army.... I have the old footslogging Ahriman here and I used him in almost 80% of my games. Now it will be 90% :D

At the moment, I really don't care for Magnus. He is to big and unwieldy to transport him. Maybe later next year.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I finally finished a Tzeentch DP conversion I started around 2011,,,, I bought the old metal DP back then and didn't really know how to make him tzeentchian enough. There are many nice conversions on the net, but non quite like I wanted it. With time I tried Balrog wings, dragon wings, LoC wings and the plastic DP wings but one very obvious thing I somehow never thought of: the Necrosphinx wings. And since the burning cariot was released I wanted to use the cheesy old school moon/troll face on something. The transition is a bit messy, but primer and color will cover it. Or maybe I put something there, who knows. 

Hope you like it so far. Pics are bit crappy.

Tzeentch Demon Prince Pt.1

Tzeentch Demon Prince Pt.2

Tzeentch Demon Prince Pt.3

Nice work!

Funny story: I read your accompanying text wrong and thought you finished the DP - with painting. Looking at the pictures I was like 'did he have a stroke? This looks nothing like his normal painting quality!'. But then I realized this is just the conversion that's awaiting painting. lol :D

It really is a cool conversion - very Tzeentchian!

Nice work!

Funny story: I read your accompanying text wrong and thought you finished the DP - with painting. Looking at the pictures I was like 'did he have a stroke? This looks nothing like his normal painting quality!'. But then I realized this is just the conversion that's awaiting painting. lol :biggrin.:

It really is a cool conversion - very Tzeentchian!

Haha, I'm not that crazy -yet. I'M glad that that he is accepted and passes as a nice Tzeentchian Prince. The usefullness of the prince is debatable (I for one love him!), but my regular opponent fears him. My cousin plays Space Wolves and now my sisters fiance started to play those Space Puppies, too. This will be fun in the future :)

I especially love the moon face. It reminds me so much of the troll face and with a potential rerollable 3+/2++  this guy deserves the look. 

After I attached the wings to him, I started to reconsider the choice. The old metal DP fits perfectly on a disc of Tzeentch. The ones from the burning chariot of tzeencht kit is big enough and looks about right, but the feet have to be reposed. So not the legs, but the feet. That would imply to cut through the whole metal feet, losing some detail and greenstuffing - nope thanks. I've done this with my oblits, I will not do this again in the near future :D

Maybe if I can get my hands on the same model in resin... Definitely a future hobby goal.

Nothing really new.  I finished one of the converted BoC Rubric Marines, a second one is waiting for his bolter and some details. 

BoC Rubric Marine conversion No1

And the right arm of the DP with force stave is done:

Tzeentch Demon Prince right arm finished

I fiddled around with gimp and made a mashup of my sorcerers. I was shocked it's only 11 sorcerers (3 more wait for some paint). I need some more TDA sorcs and at least a box of the exalted ones.

Thousand Sons Sorcerers Coven 1

Thousand Sons Sorcerers Coven 2

Edited by Aasfresser

Hah, it seems that sorcerers fill the same slot in your hobby life that killy Chaos Lords have in mine -- there can never be enough ;)

In all fairness, though, those sorcerers are fantastic! It only occurs to me now, in hindsight, how much I have subconsciously channelled at least one of your conversions when building my version of Iskandar Khayon.

Fantastic stuff! And even more stunning when you consider the fact that you had none of the new bitz at your disposal when making these.

I was shocked it's only 11 sorcerers (3 more wait for some paint). I need some more TDA sorcs and at least a box of the exalted ones.

Spoken like a true son of Magnus. :biggrin.:

The Daemon Prince's shoulder pad looks awesome, and your sorcerers hold up very well compared to the new models. It's great to see you back at work.

Hah, it seems that sorcerers fill the same slot in your hobby life that killy Chaos Lords have in mine -- there can never be enough :wink:

In all fairness, though, those sorcerers are fantastic! It only occurs to me now, in hindsight, how much I have subconsciously channelled at least one of your conversions when building my version of Iskandar Khayon.

Fantastic stuff! And even more stunning when you consider the fact that you had none of the new bitz at your disposal when making these.

Thanks! I cant't wait to get my hands on some of those exalted sorcerers for more elaborate conversions. I saw your Khayon, he looked sort off familiar. I like your approach. I even started a comment on him when I first saw him but then gravity happend and I dropped my cellphone. Could catch it in the fall but while doing so I closed the editor and the text was gone... And now I couldn't motivate myself for typing again :P

I was shocked it's only 11 sorcerers (3 more wait for some paint). I need some more TDA sorcs and at least a box of the exalted ones.

Spoken like a true son of Magnus. :biggrin.:

The Daemon Prince's shoulder pad looks awesome, and your sorcerers hold up very well compared to the new models. It's great to see you back at work.

Thank you! I seriously was confused yesterday. I forgot two older Sorcs I painted ca 7 years ago I still own. I don't use them any more and I really should revisit them. Just like a squad of Thousand Sons Chosen with Plasma. Maybe I'll convert them into CC chosen or into a squad of more fancy Rubricae. 

After a night without sleep due to flue induced insomnia, I now have the urge to buy the new Ulrik the Slayer to convert him into a Black Legion Tzeentch Lord. I simply can't any more. Maybe it was the hour of starring on pics of the spures at 2 am and imagining what I have to change and which bits I already own and wicht I would have to buy.

I even started a comment on him when I first saw him but then gravity happend and I dropped my cellphone. Could catch it in the fall but while doing so I closed the editor and the text was gone... And now I couldn't motivate myself for typing again :tongue.:

That's either the worst or the best excuse I have ever heard. Haven't made up my mind yet...

I even started a comment on him when I first saw him but then gravity happend and I dropped my cellphone. Could catch it in the fall but while doing so I closed the editor and the text was gone... And now I couldn't motivate myself for typing again :tongue.:

That's either the worst or the best excuse I have ever heard. Haven't made up my mind yet...

This really happened. Every word is true. Tzeentch be my witness!

I revisited an old conversion I wasn't sure about. It was this Sorcerer on Disc of Tzeentch:

Lord on Disc of Tzeentch WIP front1

I didn't like how the legs worked out. Something was off and missing. So I changed some bits here and there and he now looks like this:

Chaos Sorcerer of Tzeentch conversion on Dics of Tzeentch wip 1

Chaos Sorcerer of Tzeentch conversion on Dics of Tzeentch wip 2

Chaos Sorcerer of Tzeentch conversion on foot wip

I just need a new more tzeentchian looking staff. He looks a bit like the Tzeentchian Pope. I love that hat. 
Now, I dont know if I will field him as an Exalted Sorcerer or as an Tzeentch Herald or a mere culist leader (on foot) but definitely like the idea of him as a summoner in my force. An ancient Thousand Sons Summoner who wears an ancient and archaic mark of power armor. Some sort of old relic from the distant past of mankind, to shriveled in flesh for normal power armor. A bit like Ctesias from the Ahriman novels by John French. He is still a bit bigger than a normal BaC marine but a bit less bulky. 

C&C is very welcome on this one!

Edited by Aasfresser

I'd keep him on the popemobile. Probably most reasonable as a herald, but exalted sorc probably works too.

Yeah, I'll magnetize him. That way I have the most options. But the pope mobile is the greatest of options :D

I finished a a herald of Tzeentch. I used the Sorcerer Lord of Tzeentch from the old Storm of Magic campaign of the tabletop wargame formerly known as Warhammer. I just removed the sword and exchanged it with a ghoul hand. I love that miniature. It was a great opportunity to test Tzaangor skin without owning some, yet.

Herald of Tzeentch