Thousand Sons - Those Once Loyal - Contemptor Dread WIP

Aasfresser

Fantastic work! The colour scheme is brilliant -- love the Kraken, the red robes and heavily verdigris'ed helmets. Speaking of which, I would never have expected those Maxmini heads to work so well for a custom IG/cultist regiment.

Großes Kino! :smile.:

Thank you very much, Kraut! I was surprised myself with the helmets. Unfortunately one of them is way to bulky for a normal human GW model. It looks even awkward on a SM/CSM. 

The red and black colour scheme will look nicely next to my TS.

Yup, that's a really characterful cultist medic right there. Great work, Aasfresser. :smile.:

Thanks Augie! I feel a bit stupid to invest so much time and money into 4 point models that will die as soon as someone looks at them. But it's so much more fun than painting that awful maulerfiend... 

And again, a bit of cultist-wip-spamming.

I planned to finish the rapier and the gunner but then... well I couldn't resist to try the cultist colour scheme on one of the palaceguard cultists based on the tempestus scions.

He is not finished yet. There is a lot to do on the backpack and all of the leather strips on this arms and legs, as well as the lenses on the helmet and backpack and screens on his arms. But he already looks ok. I just don't know where to put a Kkraken on him. All the free surfaces are way to small O_o

Here he is:

med_gallery_76164_9665_153399.jpg

And, although I only finished one culist, I wanted to see how they will look among their masters.

med_gallery_76164_9665_154233.jpg

I think they will just fit nicely into my TS force :)

Nice cultists are you planning to expand beyond 40k with the 1k soms

I'm still waiting for the Prospero-book and cool TS minis from forgeworld. In the artworks, the TS wear already blue armor with gold trim around the time of the siege of terra. So, yes, I will expand beyond 40k with the TS.

I' m sorry, but you have to banished to warp. You make us others look bad ...

Seriously, your cultists are just great. keep 'em coming!

There will be more ;) I just have to start finally with my CoCVIII vow...

The cultists look amazing!  Where did you get the inspiration for them Aasfresser?

Thanks! I draw my inspiration from the internet, forums, books and random thoughts that come up while I'm supposed to work :D

In the artworks, the TS wear already blue armor with gold trim around the time of the siege of terra. So, yes, I will expand beyond 40k with the TS.

Where is this? I thought they still had the red in the siege.

Wow, Aasfresser, I'm already a massive fanboy of yours and your Thousand Sons – but your cultists are just brilliant. You have some very inspiring, characterful, extremely well done models there. I salute you.

I'm excited to see you pulling off painting weathered brass (or bronze) that looks very natural, textured and dark and grimy. I absolutely love it. This is exactly what I was hoping to achieve when I get to paint the first couple of models towards my R&H army in the not-so-distant future ... only that I've no idea how to do it. Would you mind sharing your recipe? How did you to the weathered brass?! Please! 

Thanks heaps in advance!

Yup, that's a really characterful cultist medic right there. Great work, Aasfresser. :smile.:

Thanks Augie! I feel a bit stupid to invest so much time and money into 4 point models that will die as soon as someone looks at them. But it's so much more fun than painting that awful maulerfiend... 

Ow man, you got me riled up with that comment. Dude. The points cost doesn't matter. It's the enjoyment you get out of it - and the joy you got out of painting this model was almost palpable. I have a ten-man cultist squad made from servitors and guard bits that took me ages to collect the bits for, build and paint. it's only 50 points, bu it's still the unit that I am most happy with out of all my Chaos models. :) Kudo's to you for giving a 4pt model your all! :tu:

Ow man, you got me riled up with that comment. Dude. The points cost doesn't matter. It's the enjoyment you get out of it - and the joy you got out of painting this model was almost palpable. I have a ten-man cultist squad made from servitors and guard bits that took me ages to collect the bits for, build and paint. it's only 50 points, bu it's still the unit that I am most happy with out of all my Chaos models. :smile.: Kudo's to you for giving a 4pt model your all! :thumbsup:

I just want to 2nd this statement, and in fact look at it the other way. 

Its 4pts, you will be able to use it all the time! So i put extra effort in to these guys knowing I will have them on the table the most. 

In the artworks, the TS wear already blue armor with gold trim around the time of the siege of terra. So, yes, I will expand beyond 40k with the TS.

Where is this? I thought they still had the red in the siege.

There is awesome illustration of a traitor-all-star-team on the bridge of the Vengeful Spirit. Among those there is Ahriman, clad in cobalt blue armor and some Thousand Sons in blue, too.

Looking really good so far, fair collection of pieces you draw from to make a single unified model. Bravo!

A whole squad of them will be ace, until they get flamered and all that work gets removed :sad.:

Thanks! Yeah... Flamer-shmamer. Who cares :D

Wow, Aasfresser, I'm already a massive fanboy of yours and your Thousand Sons – but your cultists are just brilliant. You have some very inspiring, characterful, extremely well done models there. I salute you.

I'm excited to see you pulling off painting weathered brass (or bronze) that looks very natural, textured and dark and grimy. I absolutely love it. This is exactly what I was hoping to achieve when I get to paint the first couple of models towards my R&H army in the not-so-distant future ... only that I've no idea how to do it. Would you mind sharing your recipe? How did you to the weathered brass?! Please!

Thanks heaps in advance!

Thanks! Well, there is absolutely no special skill or technique involved... simply the Modelmates Verdigris Green and Verdigris Blue. I paint the area in a Bronze or Brass tone and then I apply the green verdigris and let it dry for a few moments. Then I apply the blue verdigris in some places and let it dry. That's all :D

Ow man, you got me riled up with that comment. Dude. The points cost doesn't matter. It's the enjoyment you get out of it - and the joy you got out of painting this model was almost palpable. I have a ten-man cultist squad made from servitors and guard bits that took me ages to collect the bits for, build and paint. it's only 50 points, bu it's still the unit that I am most happy with out of all my Chaos models. :smile.: Kudo's to you for giving a 4pt model your all! :thumbsup:

I just want to 2nd this statement, and in fact look at it the other way.

Its 4pts, you will be able to use it all the time! So i put extra effort in to these guys knowing I will have them on the table the most.

Don't you worry! That comment was simply my sense of humor showing xD

I would always prefer to build more interesting miniatures, don't worry.

Here is the next one, all finished but for the lenses on the helmet and some kraken-freehands.

med_gallery_76164_9665_325262.jpg

^^absolutely. My cultist-servitors have been a staple of any list I've build. Giving cultists eveything you've got pays off!!

I love those servitor-cultists, btw.

And now he is finished.

med_gallery_76164_9665_42497.jpgmed_gallery_76164_9665_51215.jpg

The mini-kraken is not optimal, but its ok. I have to think about alternative arm positioning for such small areas.

On his right shoulder I put one of the awesome magic sigil decals from FalloutHobbies. All the Militia-Cultists will get a magical sigil for protection and such. My cultists are firm occultists :P

And this is what I came up with for the Palace Guard. They need a Kraken on them somewhere, too. So I put that "thing" on this guy.

med_gallery_76164_9665_123723.jpg

I have no idea how you manage to gget such small detail in there. Bravo.

Thank you!

Aasfresser - The cultist are looking cool & really like the icon on the right shoulder pad. Also how your Call of Chaos vows getting on?

Thanks IP. Actually the speed my CoCVIII vow is progressing is pretty slow. I habe 3 unfinished Screamers, 2 primed Spawn, 1 primed Jumppack-Sorc, a Mauler in pieces and another sorc that looks like this:

med_gallery_76164_11041_65201.jpg

I'm really fond of the cultists. My Black Legion relies on the "armed rebels / Chaos militia" kind of cultists, à la Dark Vengeance, but that's always refreshing and inspiring to see other kind of mortal followers.

Edited by Vesper

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks!

So no new progress on the CoC vow but I managed to build something at least.

There was this unfinished maulerfiend based on the body of a necrophinx starring at me and after 2 days with some GS and a tube tool it started to look like something 40k-ish with a tzeentchian hint.

Here it is:

med_gallery_76164_9665_63685.jpg

med_gallery_76164_9665_70937.jpg

med_gallery_76164_9665_218030.jpg

med_gallery_76164_9665_196774.jpg

med_gallery_76164_9665_160280.jpg

I like how the rather small skelleton giant head gives the whole miniature a slightly absurd and grotesque look.

C&C is always welcome!

• 2 weeks later...

WOW

I love your idea for the Maulerfiend it looks great and really works quite nicely for Tzeench.

Also I really like your cultists they look great keep up the good work

Thank you!

So my CoC vow... well, it doesn't look that great but there's progress!

The Rapier is finished! Ok, the crew still isn't, but the carrier is :smile.:

med_gallery_76164_9665_133102.jpgmed_gallery_76164_9665_27285.jpg

The gunner is nearly finished. Just the lenses on the helmet and the yellow stripes to do...

Then there is something happening with the Thousand Sons Maulerfiend, the first one.

med_gallery_76164_9665_70348.jpgmed_gallery_76164_9665_70049.jpg

And the Base.

gallery_76164_9665_66247.jpg

There is still a LOT to do.... but I like where it's going.

And then there is stuff I didn't vow.

The Faceless Man a herald of Tzeentch, he will be the manipulating and corrupting force behind my Renegade Militia Cultists.

med_gallery_76164_9665_166119.jpg

And I just realized that my second maulerfiend kind of looks like a assyrian lamassu/egyptian apis mix. I'll go with the term "Lamassu" when I refer to it in the future.

med_gallery_76164_9665_33201.jpg

I put some more cables on his neck to cover some parts of the neck that weren't so nice. He will get horns with a sun disc for his head, for the extended apis vibe :biggrin.:

Edited by Aasfresser