Well I've primed the dread and found that some of the gs work needs some more smoothing.

Once I've done this I'll touch up the primer and start painting.

I'm also gonna take a crack at Watercolour washing since I cant afford to pick up any mineral spirits till next month.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've done the watercolour wash, after putting down a layer of gloss varnish.

Used Paynes Gray followed by Burnt Umber and it's looking promising, just need to let it dry and then clean it up before I can judge properly.

This is not on the dread btw. It's on something a bit meatier :devil:

And here it is :D

med_gallery_39897_5762_1033591.jpg

med_gallery_39897_5762_1446035.jpg

Watercolour wash followed by some carbon marks on the exhausts using a black pastel and finally sponge weathering using P3 Pig Iron mixed with a little glaze medium.

Not quite done yet as I'm waiting for the matt varnish to dry before adding some highlights to the gold and metal areas before a final agrax earthshade wash.

First time I've tried these methods of weathering so please let me know what you think :)

Got the dread glossed in preparation for the watercolour wash, which I will be doing in the next few minutes.

Once it's dry I'll do before and after clean up pics.

With the ETL III looming I'm currently considering what to do for it, I don't have any DA stuff left to paint nor FT and my DIY stuff is almost done for now. Perhaps Chaos?

When last we saw our hero it had improved drastically from how it previously looked...

med_gallery_39897_5762_1678250.jpg

...to this state...

med_gallery_39897_5762_1734096.jpg

...and now here we are after watercolour wash, but before clean up.

med_gallery_39897_5762_742561.jpg

med_gallery_39897_5762_1143415.jpg

med_gallery_39897_5762_830217.jpg

med_gallery_39897_5762_42978.jpg

There's plenty more to do, but I think this is already looking a million times better :)

Comments and criticism welcome.

Thanks, I'm really happy with how it's come out :)

As for the dread it was mainly just clean, repair, prime, find stuff I missed, strip and repeat until I felt I'd done as much as I could. (took about 3 runs).  I'm happy with it so far. :)

@helterskelter - Cheers :smile.: & yup it's an incinerator, dread was previously part of a GK army before I rescued it  :tongue.:

@deathspectersgt7 - Cheers mate :smile.:

Almost took the tip off one of my fingers tonight (slicing bread of all things) so progress may be a little slow on these. But I do have some after clean up pics of the dread which I'll post later, as well as some pics of another repair job which I've started putting the pigment to :smile.:

Edited by Razblood

Here I am again with pics of the dread post clean up.

med_gallery_39897_5762_645263.jpg

med_gallery_39897_5762_780556.jpg

med_gallery_39897_5762_935780.jpg

med_gallery_39897_5762_881550.jpg

The effenct from the watercolour wash is confined mostly to the metal areas, but it has added a slight filter to the white and in places I have left traces to suggest wear and grime.

I'll get better pics once it's done.

As for the other repair job, some of you may remember this unfortunate soul donated to me by a friend.

med_gallery_39897_5762_1525689.jpg

Well I fixed him up a while ago and randomly decided to paint him whilst waiting for the dread's wash to dry, so he he is as he currently stands...

med_gallery_39897_5762_123878.jpg

Blue is done, got the base for most of the other colours down, gold has been based with Humbrol Antique Bronze which is a lovely colour with a really rich tone.

Chapter badge will be on his right knee, hence why it's been based in dark grey, which will be glazed down to black. Challenge will be getting a nice smooth yellow on the tabard :lol:

C & C welcomed and appreciated :)

Libby is done, bar base drybrush and jump pack exhaust.

med_gallery_39897_5762_625210.jpg

Though the jump pack is pretty knackered around the bottom so I'll replace it at some point.

Let me know what you think? :)

Got bored, felt like a change so decided to try a new scheme...well new for me anyway :lol:

med_gallery_39897_5762_1378841.jpg

Wanted to do the classic grey and feel I've got pretty close. Few more details to do, but unfortunately this wasn't a great cast as could happen with the old lead models so some of the detail is lost.

Also not too happy with my freehand Chapter Badge, but I can practice that as I have another 4 of these with various armaments :)

med_gallery_39897_5762_543714.jpg

Comments and Criticisms if you've got em ;)

After getting distracted quite a bit I finally buckled down tonight and finished the dread, here are the pics to prove it :lol:

med_gallery_39897_5762_1316235.jpg

med_gallery_39897_5762_912336.jpg

Also finally got a fine enough pen to do this -

med_gallery_39897_5762_296479.jpg

So overall I'm happy with the recovery effort, it's still quite rough in places but I feel that to put anymore time into it would probably end up with me abandoning it :lol:

Comments and Criticism if you please ;)

On to new things though as I have just acquired a bottle of this -

med_gallery_39897_5762_1158498.jpg

Known by many names including Klear/Future and the primary ingredient in "magic wash" for those unaware :)

I'll be giving this a test run over the next day or so to see how it works.

Cheers guys :)

Not got too much more to do for them, got a Landspeeder coming next week hopefully and after that the army is pretty much done except for iconography and weathering.

Got some DA stuff on the horizon and will probably do more to my FT at some point, also got a bunch of CSM stuff that I could do with getting on with. Seriously considering starting a small Wolves force as well and have a platoon of IG that could do with some paint.

Plenty more to come on here :tu:

Well my first experiments with "magic" wash have been completed and I have to say I think it's a winner.

med_gallery_39897_5762_488053.jpg

med_gallery_39897_5762_1434622.jpg

med_gallery_39897_5762_441359.jpg

Used the Pledge/Klear/Future with various colours of Vallejo ink at various levels of dilution.

The black received multiple washes of black ink, the robes and pauldrons got flesh ink washes and the gold got a combination of flesh and very diluted purple ink washes.

An interesting thing with the purple is that it was an empty bottle which had dried out an age ago and I was planning to use it to store some ready mixed water/Klear, however the mix seems to have revived the dried ink and now it works beautifully :)

I've found you can get some really nice effects with different levels of dilution and this will definitely be one of my go-to's in the future.

So let me know what you think?

Another brief update after I realised that I still have some character models to paint, so here's a WIP Techmarine :)

med_gallery_39897_5762_1716212.jpg

med_gallery_39897_5762_789759.jpg

White is ceramite white washed with heavily diluted black magic wash, which I think makes it look grimy and oily.

The rest is just base colours at the mo.

Comments would be appreciated :)

Also planning for the ETL, currently hoping to make my first vow on the 30th May and my fifth vow by the 5th June (yes, I plan on getting 4 full squads completed within 6 days followed by a character for the last vow) :devil:

Ink:Klear:Water = 2:6:10

I was a bit haphazard about it but believe that was around the right ratio, if necessary you can add more water as it holds it's surface tension extremely well.

If I get the time during the next week I'll do a ratio guide/tutorial/exhibition and post it in painting tutorials :)