Forté's creations: Started Crimson Fists (pg 67)

Forté

looking good.

I guess with the weathering advises all depends on how dirty or used you want your tank to look like. (I painted a lot of 1/35 scale models in youth)

So according to my declining memory, if you want to get a metallic effect a black spot covered partially by a metallic paint could give you a nice effect, replace the black by a brown and you have a rust effect

tiny black spot could represent projections of concrete from driving or explsions

you can add flames marks in black for results of closed explosions, Tanks have a tendency to circulate between flames or be a priority target

I would recommend a very very thin wash (black or brown or green) to tie your drybrush paint, it will darken your paint, link your camo stripes and make them pop. Then it´s weathering time again, repeating the previous operation but the effect will be reinforce. (normally I would have done a first wash after the stripes then drybrushed then wash again then drybrush details)

I would suggest to paint your chaotic details now. It´s such a large piece that the pop of colors might not give you the effect you want but also you can weather them the same technics and the same time. You´ll see if you need to go heavier on the weathering or not. With weathering in my experience the first phases always leave you the feeling that you exaggerated it but the wash gives it life. You could do a test on the back of the tank. It always the part that gets the more messy because it accumulates the fumes of the engine. The exhaust pipes can receive a silver drybrush then you can add a purple and orange wash that can give you a burning exhaust pipes effect. They are always leaks in that part of a tank. 

And then it´s wash time. detailing all the tiny lines, bolts with a thin dark, brown wash and a lot of medium 

Yep you´re in for a lot of pain :)

@Darth Mustard. Think I'll be skipping a few of those steps. Plenty to think on for any future armour though.

@DSS7. Just a little late. Khârn is done and dusted.

@Dorns_fist. Cheers. Almost a title for a thread there ;)

Tank's looking pretty sharp so far!:happy.:

Looks much more 'Imperial Guard' than 'Divine Flayer' at the moment, but then I suppose that's the idea! :biggrin.:

It'll be interesting to see just how colourful it finishes up. :laugh.:

Tank's looking pretty sharp so far!:happy.:

Looks much more 'Imperial Guard' than 'Divine Flayer' at the moment, but then I suppose that's the idea! :biggrin.:

It'll be interesting to see just how colourful it finishes up. :laugh.:

I have a free hand in mind but I'll have to see how it goes.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_w-8JKaTohe4/S8Ru4AwubWI/AAAAAAAAWmw/FVKrmmRjoGo/s1600/and_now_its_time_for_something_completely_different.jpg

You can blame Augustus B'rass for this but I've had a look at ome of my old models. Some being the first ones Marines I ever had and talk about a reality check. I'm quite surprised by how I've improved but also at my reluctance to attempt free hand designs when I was trying them before I worked for GW in 1996!

So here are some of the embarrassing articles. Admittedly, quite a few were repainted over the years too.

First up...the original plastics and my first ever paint job (far left)

med_gallery_29004_6198_214287.jpg

med_gallery_29004_6198_437110.jpg

The Terminator Librarian was part of the old Terminator box which I first painted as Blood Angels until the Deathwing expansion for Space Hulk came out and I was painting Ultramarines but liked the bone.

med_gallery_29004_6198_39180.jpg med_gallery_29004_6198_30183.jpg

Centurius...one of those 'you had to be there' to have it models. And the time when LotD could take Librarians. Both examples of my old freehand attempts.

med_gallery_29004_6198_74443.jpg med_gallery_29004_6198_49166.jpg

I loved the Mephiston model when it came out and had to have it.

med_gallery_29004_6198_520961.jpg

Proper Imperial Guard models. The left one was going to be part of a Genestealer Cult and even has a Khorne rune on his helmet (yes, Genestealer Cults could follow Chaos!).

med_gallery_29004_6198_146590.jpg

Who doesn't love assassins. The right one was painted while I worked at GW. Big improvement there.

med_gallery_29004_6198_119746.jpg

Early Khorne Marine and a Librarian from my old Nurgle army. Also from GW days.

med_gallery_29004_6198_152921.jpg

This one was my favourite Liby model and at the time I was liking the idea of Iron Hands. You can see that even then I had hobby ADD. This I think I'll strip at some point. Possibly for a future thing by Captain Semper.

med_gallery_29004_6198_279719.jpg

Have to admit that it's nice now and then to go back and look at your old painting to see how you've improved. Sometimes even remind you of things that you used to be able to do. And this is just my B&C aloud stuff. Still have a lot of Warhammer, Blood Bowl, and other.

Cheers for having this brief look back it time. Back to the current :thanks: :thumbsup:

Nice walk down memory lane. Some great mini's - the paint job is up to a good standard even on your very old ones.  I have kept some of my old stuff knocking around for just such nostalgic reasons, though my paint jobs aren't so good! My 'proper' era was when the 2nd ed box set came out although I cut my teeth on the RT mini's, first codex was Angels of Death (I liked the red dudes and have stayed true) I also had a small Tyranid army which I have not long gave away and Chaos. Seems like so long ago - though I did have a 10 year hiatus!!

Current stuff - your super heavy is really coming along, but my word you Khârn is purest awesome. Great work breathing new life into an old sculpt. I do like it, its just a bit diddy by nowadays standards.

Love it, Forte. And even then your painting was top notch. Especially the LotD models, Mephiston and the last Librarion. Cool stuff. I'm glad you got inspired to do a 'trip through memory lane' and hope this will spur others to do something similar!

+ + + VOW 2 PROGRESS UPDATE + + +

Not long left now till the ETL finishes :ohmy.: :unsure.: :blink.: Better get a move on. Speaking of which...

I've finished up the main 'tank' type stuff and started to add the more Slaanesh details. Starting with the added on details and I'll see how it looks once those are done.

med_gallery_29004_9523_193418.jpg

med_gallery_29004_9523_79014.jpg

med_gallery_29004_9523_145946.jpg

med_gallery_29004_9523_267164.jpg

May be tempted to try to paint a large Slaanesh rune on one of the sides. Influenced partly by this.

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2013/074/8/1/the_mark_of_slaanesh_by_simonbreeze-d5y37du.jpg

Possibly do some marble on a flat plate or two. Maybe even go a bit Jackson Pollock somewhere. We'll have to see.

Thanks for checking in and don't forget your own ETL vows :thanks::thumbsup:

I haven't commented on your thread before, mainly as I have been slowly reading through it. I have never been a fan of the while Slaanesh thing but I love your work. The sorcerer in particular is outstanding and I love your Khârn. Looking forward to seeing the tank finished.

looking good

I like it clean, personally. Would blend well with the rest of your warband. 

You can always try a rune test using photoshop

I remember seeing tank with large chaos stars marked on them like the crew bombed them or quickly paint them and it really worked but they were beige with camo stripes with red or orange stars.

@Demon2027. Many thanks. Glad you made it through.

@Teetengee. I'll be aiming more for the primary colours so should be ok. More like this.

7379778796_d84e717bb2.jpg

looking good

I like it clean, personally. Would blend well with the rest of your warband.

You can always try a rune test using photoshop

I remember seeing tank with large chaos stars marked on them like the crew bombed them or quickly paint them and it really worked but they were beige with camo stripes with red or orange stars.

Already tried the Photoshop test. Also spoke to someone who did some excellent spray style writing.

I actually really like the idea of a patch-o-Pollock. I think it could really work and it sounds like something a Slaanesh cultist would do in a temper-tantrum of pleasure. Maybe they told Ephrael to grab the paints and put a chaos star or two and a mark of Slaanesh, and he went nuts and came back covered in paint with a post-orgasmic grin on his face. You can just see the other cultists rolling their eyes and shaking their heads at him.

"Ephrael, you had ONE job! Did you even put a SINGLE star on there? For Fulgrim's sake..."

You could do half a star and then have it gradually get all splattery to one side like you can see where he got carried away. :D And do it under one of the flags, like his annoyed comrades put the flag over it to cover it up (and pay homage to the gods, which is what HE WAS SUPPOSED TO BE DOING ANYWAY. I'm having entirely too much fun thinking about this.