Isengrin's Forge: A knife in the dark +Havoc+

This is outrageously good. I don't have further words at this point in time, I need to go through the whole thread and appreciate everything.

Thanks, be my guest!

Unbelievable work!!! That Terminator is insanely awesome, I'm a big fan.

Can't wait to see some more :thumbsup:

And more you shall see. The second terror marine is already sporting his base coat and a finished base. After I'm done with the squad the terminator is next in line.

Some fantastic paint jobs, love the kill tally on the lascannon! Also that jump pack lord looks phenomenal, love the arm mounted plasma pistol! Not sure if its the just the picture angle but it sort of looks like he's going to use the flat of the spear head to smack someone rather than the bladed edge, maybe turn the spear head slightly? Looking forward to seeing more painted up!

Thanks, buddy! It doesn't look as bad as the pic makes it out to be. The blade is angled at about 45 degrees to the base and aligns with his right hand, but it shouldn't be too hard to rotate it a bit, though.

So many Night Lords! <3

I'm happy you're doing justice to the best legion :happy.:

Most definitely. Night Lords are just the best. :biggrin.:

This entire thread is pure hobby platinum! Absolutely stunning conversions and I really really love the latest night lords. Keep up the great work :biggrin.:

Thanks, man!  

Voll phat alta!!!

-> awesome work old guy^^

Berliner Schnauze wat? :biggrin.:

Thanks, buddy!

Great as usual. Let's see some paint on that termie!

:tongue.:

Dude, I love this thread. Where do you get those old school raptor jump packs? I goddamn love them. 

Thanks! I was scouring ebay for a while until I came across a squad of those old raptors with a halfway reasonable price tag.

The jump lord is awesome, so much character in that conversion!

Thanks!

So, I'll upload a few pics of the raptor lord with different helm options as soon as I get around to it, because I'm still a bit torn on what to use. Then there's a little surprise in store too, which I almost forgot. 

And Number 2 is finished. I went with a violet tone for the volkite's OSL instead of red, because it fits better with the overall colour palette (heresy, I know, but what cha gonna do).

gallery_92971_11994_264271.jpg

gallery_92971_11994_281104.jpg

As I've written in my last post, I wanted to try out a few helm options for the raptor conversion, but in the end I think the first one still beats out all the others. Maybe it gets an additional air vent on top. Although there is something about the MkIII helmet, which makes me consider building another raptor as an antagonist or so to the current one.

gallery_92971_12020_178792.jpg

gallery_92971_12020_149530.jpg

As soon as my painting backlog is cleared, there's already the next project waiting around the corner.

gallery_92971_12020_891541.jpg

Holy khorne, these guys look amazing! I'm gonna read the crap out of this thread when I get home, my phone screen won't do these guys justice

Edit: Yup, amazing work as suspected. Most true scale marines feel a bit undetailed, with lots of flat surfaces, often with wonky proportions. Not these guys! Absolutely superb, and any marine player flaunting their new primaris minis will feel a bit cheated hehe.

Edited by ElDuderino

Very impressive work dude! Great attention to detail!

Thanks Captain!

Holy khorne, these guys look amazing! I'm gonna read the crap out of this thread when I get home, my phone screen won't do these guys justice

Edit: Yup, amazing work as suspected. Most true scale marines feel a bit undetailed, with lots of flat surfaces, often with wonky proportions. Not these guys! Absolutely superb, and any marine player flaunting their new primaris minis will feel a bit cheated hehe.

Thanks for taking such a prolonged look. I'll find out soon enough how they stack up against Primaris of the Black Templar persuasion, which should get interesting. :wink:

Oh man tha MKIII helm looks amazing, its malevolence is palpable. I vote the MKIII!

Yup...

Agreed with Luna707, the MKIII looks fantastic. Looking forward to the Hellbrute as well!

...MkIII it is then. Now that one of my gaming buddies is pushing for that helm as well, it has made my decision a lot easier. Thanks, guys!

Fantastic work, dude! The latest Night Lord looks excellent :thumbsup:

Thanks Kizz!

And off to the painting station again.

While I agree with the other guys that the Mk. III helmet wins due the sheer malevolence of its look, I would like to point out that the gargoyle-styled retro Raptor helmet seems like an unexpectedly nice option as well, and I would love to see you using it on a coming model!

In any case, that Raptor is fantastic! :)

Whoa! Serious quality brother. The volkite dude is great, and the skull trophies perfored on the temple reminds me of the (very khornate) ritually  prepared skull wall trophy racks of the aztec culture.

The raptor definitely needs that grim and menacing mk3 helm, and also I want to support Mal on the helm #5 -the gargoyle one- to be used on another model, as is a fantastic sculpt and very night lord-ish.

Forgive my typos as I'm phoneposting on the bus.

Cheers!

While I agree with the other guys that the Mk. III helmet wins due the sheer malevolence of its look, I would like to point out that the gargoyle-styled retro Raptor helmet seems like an unexpectedly nice option as well, and I would love to see you using it on a coming model!

In any case, that Raptor is fantastic! :smile.:

Funny you'd say that. I was trying to come up with a purpose for those heads for a while now, since I have a few of them and, yeah, they're really rad. So, after thinking for a while...watch this space for the Gargui (coming sometime this year). I don't have anything concrete beyond that, only one or two ideas floating in my head, but that's why I like to show all kinds of different options and stuff in here. You never know what's going to happen. Thanks for your feedback, it's as always very much appreciated.

Whoa! Serious quality brother. The volkite dude is great, and the skull trophies perfored on the temple reminds me of the (very khornate) ritually  prepared skull wall trophy racks of the aztec culture.

The raptor definitely needs that grim and menacing mk3 helm, and also I want to support Mal on the helm #5 -the gargoyle one- to be used on another model, as is a fantastic sculpt and very night lord-ish.

Forgive my typos as I'm phoneposting on the bus.

Cheers!

Thanks! As written above, I'll put the head(s) to good use as soon as all the other stuff is finished. I haven't thought much about Aztec rituals and culture, but I probably should dip into that. Besides simply being a very night lord-ish thing to do, the skull trophies are inspired by the Celtic custom of collecting heads in battle, believing them to be home to the soul. No idea if that is actually true or historically supported, but I've read that somewhere and it sounded fitting.

And don't worry about typos, who cares. :wink:

Yay, celts -kelts, actually- were very khornate too. What do you say is indeed an historical truth if we are to believe the romans and currect anthropologists. They also used to hang the heads on their horses to both inspire fear and as sort of protecting charm, and alsotocollect heads in chests and jars at their homes to show how powerful they were. And indeed, they used to pile heads in natural fountains and streams to please the water spirits/gods to ensure sacred ground and provide fertility. That is if my mind serves me well.

Anyway, please keep making such awesome trophies and models for the children of the night!

Wow, your stuff is off the chat amazing.... For the Raptor, I would stick with the original helm as the ravening jaws from the mouth grill, look seriously creepy, otherwise helmet 5 which is a bit green goblin-ish. 

• 3 weeks later...

Yay, celts -kelts, actually- were very khornate too. What do you say is indeed an historical truth if we are to believe the romans and currect anthropologists. They also used to hang the heads on their horses to both inspire fear and as sort of protecting charm, and alsotocollect heads in chests and jars at their homes to show how powerful they were. And indeed, they used to pile heads in natural fountains and streams to please the water spirits/gods to ensure sacred ground and provide fertility. That is if my mind serves me well.

Anyway, please keep making such awesome trophies and models for the children of the night!

I'm a tad late with replying, but after reading more on the matter I've supplied myself with a few writings about kelts. Fascinating stuff.

Wow, your stuff is off the chat amazing.... For the Raptor, I would stick with the original helm as the ravening jaws from the mouth grill, look seriously creepy, otherwise helmet 5 which is a bit green goblin-ish.

Thanks, man! They're both nice choices and I'm inclined to use those as well.

Progress is progress, however incremental it may be. After a very un-night-lordish week in the sun I've come back with re-charged batteries and swiftly finished the sergeant. Looking at the first three painted members of the terror squad, I'm very happy with the new painting recipe and the conversions in general. The helm crest on a Night Lord kinda looks like the perversion of a symbol commonly used by Ultramarines (at least that's the legion I associate them with). Maybe he chopped it off a counterpart from the thirteenth legion, before taking one of his hands as souvenir.

gallery_92971_11994_54312.jpg

gallery_92971_11994_238061.jpg

gallery_92971_11994_80220.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Edited by Isengrin

Now I can stuff away my Night Lords with good conscience and live through you. These are absolutely stunning, straight out of the art/nightmares.

Very much looking forward to more!

Cheers,

BTB

And rob us of your 61st company? No chance, dude. :wink:

They look so incredible. You know that I HAVE TO DO A NIGHTLORD IN THE FUTURE...

Merci beaucoup. I sure hope so.

Another fantastic paint job, stellar job on the eyes! Loving the squad so far, can't wait to see the next member!

Thanks, buddy! Me, too...this is pretty much the first unit, with which I'm thoroughly happy and I enjoy painting them more than anything else before.

Some how you've made that legionair helm frill look creepy. Well done sir

Thanks a lot! 

Really impressive work, definitely how chaos should look. Can I ask how you achieved the flesh tone on your flesh hounds and severed hands?

Thanks!

The hand is painted with Scale75 Basic Flesh, then washed with Vallejo Flesh Wash, then some Scale75 Pale Skin, after that Pale Skin mixed with Ceramite White for Highlights, and finally a little bit of Carroburg Crimson here and there.

Painting the hounds was a bit different, because I didn't have most of those colours back then. It was Administratum Grey, then Ceramite White, washed with Druchii Violet, Carroburg Crimson, and Seraphim Sepia, topped off with Ceramite White again (except for the paws, which were heavily washed with Carroburg). Using the washes and then white again was a messy affair and I can't recall the exact process, because I applied those paints again and again until it looked good to me.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Isengrin