He's off to a great start buddy, :tu: now I can see the issues others have raised ref his pose and I had written a fairly lengthy spiel about how I would look at changing it when I realised the pose I was describing was basically this guy.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n235/Stovie_2006/Biohazards%20Worldeaters/A7EE7B70-CCE5-4952-BC7A-57FFE427EA67.jpg

I would look at having the left leg planted flat as I think it would help give the weapon and his pose some weight if you know what I mean?

You could have the chainsword at an angle similar but not quite as extreme as Sevatars Glaive. The trophies I would add to his belt and have that hand open. It would give the impression he's just finished a massive eviscerating swing with his right hand counterbalancing his left.

I hope you can understand my ramblings here? These night shifts really scramble my head.

I've sent a pm with a couple of poses to try and help explain what I mean.

Thanks for the advice folks, I'll try and do a couple of mock ups tomorrow for him and see which you think is best. I quite like the position the sword is in now so I may leave that as is, The problem with drastically changing the right arms is the shoulder guard is fixed in place and I didnt really want to cut it away. I will have to see how things go with a couple of different options :)

Nemac

Well, this is becoming a problem! Three options and three different opinions :D. I will say that I can't use the severed heads on Xarl in his right hand anymore because...

SAM_1593.JPG

...Variel is a thief - Severed heads, star-ships, who knows what's next :)

I will have to have a long think about Xarl and which pose to go for though to be honest option two was the one I thought everyone would go for. With Variel, I had planned on using the entirety of Biles body but he was considerably shorter then the rest of First Claw. I think I've solved this by replacing the whole upper body and leaning it slightly forward to give him an awkward, predatory look. I had planned on putting him on a 40mm round base and having him dragging a flayed corpse behind him but then didn't want to have him on a different base from the rest of the unit.

As always C&C is very much welcome, any arguments as to which pose for Xarl would (I hope) also help me further and thanks everyone for the advice so far!

Nemac

Number two is still the stand out pose there for me personally. It gives the impression he's locked in combat dodging and weaving. Three just seems like he's tip toeing in a comical Elmer Fudd style.

Variel is a thief but a damn fine looking one. :tu: The new torso and hunched pose is awesome. Can't wait to see him with his narthecium as well.

This is going to be a brilliant representation of First Claw.

I don't like Xarl very much to be honest, that helmet is way too unpractical for a duelist -yes, I'm a Night Lord-at-heart who dislike batwings xD. Maybe one of those FW ones with small head wings would improve that. As for the weapon pose, may I suggest something? Like he's jumping onwards to decapitate someone. Ideally the left arm should be a bit high and leaning more to his right side. Please, forgive the crude approach, I did it in 30 secs:

gallery_33122_7839_125523.jpg

Number two is still the stand out pose there for me personally. It gives the impression he's locked in combat dodging and weaving. Three just seems like he's tip toeing in a comical Elmer Fudd style.

Variel is a thief but a damn fine looking one. :thumbsup: The new torso and hunched pose is awesome. Can't wait to see him with his narthecium as well.

This is going to be a brilliant representation of First Claw.

Can't unsee that now haha. I hope it turns out as well as I have it planned in my head. I honestly thought Xarl would be one of the easier members to get right! He's proving to be a bit of a pain :D.

I want to try and incorporate a knife into the hand with the narthecium on Variel to give him a bit more of a story when looking at him. Like he has just severed those theads and isnt walking around with them for giggles.

I don't like Xarl very much to be honest, that helmet is way too unpractical for a duelist -yes, I'm a Night Lord-at-heart who dislike batwings xD. Maybe one of those FW ones with small head wings would improve that. As for the weapon pose, may I suggest something? Like he's jumping onwards to decapitate someone. Ideally the left arm should be a bit high and leaning more to his right side. Please, forgive the crude approach, I did it in 30 secs:

gallery_33122_7839_125523.jpg

I know what you mean about the helmet, but, if I am remembering correctly, Talos said something to Xarl in Soul Hunter about the helmet being for ceremonial use and Xarl wouldn't have any of it - He just wanted to wear it regardless (I could be wrong, memory isn't all that great and a web search turned up nothing). Not really a big fan of the FW helms either, the bat wings just don't look right to me. I think I will probably go with pose number two. Bio has left a lasting imprint of Elmer Fudd with the head facing that way :D.

Thanks for the help with this guys, it is very much appreciated!

Nemac

Morning all!

After a lot of faffing about, I managed to get some time last night to get Mercutian painted :smile.:. I'm pretty pleased with how he turned out:

DSCF2056.JPG  DSCF2058.JPG

And with his buddies:

DSCF2050.JPG

So, that's three down and three to go! I think Xarl is next on the list for painting and lucky for me, I don't have work today :biggrin.:

C&C always welcome.

Nemac

Edited by Nemac Vradon

Thanks Vairocanum :), I was planning on entering this army in Armies on Parade when it comes around again so I will at some point be doing a display board. I have discussed with Raztalin what sort of board I am going to go for and came up with the plan to have some underground cut out sections underneath the main display. If it works out well then it should be a pretty cool board. We also discussed having the board so it links into the rest of a gaming board and makes one big area to play on :tu:. 

The heavy bolter for Mercutian was made using the Warriors of Chaos musicians... horn? The funny looking instrument anyway - I bits ordered it so only know it's from the musician and the warriors of chaos :D

Nemac

Mercutian is looking fantastic! And I think I'll add once more how much I like your version of Uzas, just to be on the safe side :wink:

Thanks Kraut :D, pleased you like him! Uzas is my favourite so far too! 

The daemonic maw on the heavy bolter is from the Warriors of Chaos, Chaos Knights kit :smile.:

I'm really loving your work on First Claw. The paint jobs and conversion work are both excellent.

I'm looking forward to seeing Xarl painted up :thumbsup:

Ahh ok, I knew it was from one of the Warriors of Chaos kits :tu:

Thanks Kizzdougs :D, I've just finished the blue base on Xarl so am about to start the process of filling in all the metal/bronze areas. He shouldn't take too much longer!

Nemac

Morning all!

Work finished on Xarl yesterday but I didn't get a chance to take a decent picture until this morning. I am very happy with how he turned out and now I just have Talos and Variel left to finish and I don't know which one to start first :unsure.:.

SAM_1595.JPG

I also had a little fun with Pixlr - This may be the new image for the first post in the thred :)

Anywho:

SAM_1597.JPG

SAM_1598.JPG

Please excuse the pictures - they are a little grainy but unfortunately the weather sucks and I can't set up my light box due to moving house :(

C&C welcome as always!

Nemac

That group shot is really cool.

Xarl looks great as well! :thumbsup:

Really looking forward to Talos and Variel.

Thanks Bio! I can't do anymore painting until the end of the week so I'm sad to say you will have to wait :(. Hopefully they will be worth it!

Stirling job mate!  the squads really taking shape now!  Also - the Containers look good!!! 

Thanks dude! I painted them as discussed but decided after spraying one black that I could dust it with the red spray and I think it worked out OK! I have to redefine the recesses but they are getting there. I need to think of some rules for this unit ready for our game :wink:

Nemac