Evening all!

I have finally finished the majority of First Claw - Variel still needs some work doing and I am waiting for a bits order to come through so I can get him done. I have finished Talos, Uzas, Xarl, Cyrion and Mercutian and as an added bonus I finally finished the third book in the series :D

Talos:

SAM_1603.JPG

First Claw:

SAM_1600.JPG

I actually finished these guys a little while back but have had some massive issues with my internet connection and haven't been able to get ionline long enough to upload any pictures. I will get a bigger picture of the entire group as soon as Variel is ready to join their ranks :tu:

As always C&C is very much welcome!

Nemac

This first claw is awsome it's realy what I was imaginated reading the books ! Great job brother ;) ! If I had one note it would be for Malcharion's (praise his name for generations) bolter witch is a little plain I think maybe some adornement or simply a few nostraman runes would do it :)

Morning all!

@Maximvs - Thanks dude! pleased you like them :D

@Malchy - I see what you mean about the bolter, I will try and paint some runes on it and see how they look :tu:

@Chaz - Thanks mate, that is high prise indeed :yes:

@Kraut - Thanks very much dude - also thanks for all the help and advice during this project, it is very much appreciated :D

@Vairocanum - Thanks mate, he was the one I was most looking forward to finishing but I have to say, I still love Uzas :)

More to follow shortly! I am working on my Armies on Parade board at the moment so I will try and get some pictures of that uploaded for your viewing pleasure (or displeasure :happy.:). 

Thanks again all! The comments do help to keep me motivated :D

Nemac

Hello again!

As I mentioned, here are the first pictures of my display board:

SAM_1609.JPG

The two buildings are removable for painting and I have used some of the old plastic board from Fantasy movement trays to make the floors inside. I still have to fill the sides around the back of the hill/rock and add some additional texture to the whole board.

SAM_1617.JPG

As always let me know what you think :)

Nemac

Thanks Bio :tu:, I have a fair way to go on it and am hoping to get some more time in it in the evenings this week. I will probably order the space marine casualties for the land speeder crew.

I also need to decide what I'm going to do on the front half of the board.

First Claw have been fun to do - may have to continue doing these sorts of characters :). Thanks for your help too, really is much appreciated and I doubt Xarl would look half as good without it!

Nemac

*How* could I have missed this amazing thread for so long - especially because you've been doing First Claw! Luckily, KrautSCientist gave you a shoutout in his thread. Yours are looking absolutely fantastic, buddy! Definitely the best 28mm version I've seen to date (I can't rule out kizzdougs truescalers, now, can I)

Your conversion of Xarl's MkVII helmet with ceremonial bat wings is particularly inspired - and I love how you used a Night Raptor body for him. It gives him a very feral, dynamic look. I always imagined Xarl as a very heavy-set, brute kind of guy, but yours is a very different, yet equally (if not more so) cool approach!  

Talos is simply fantastic. I love the detail of his chest plate! I envy that power armoured aquila torso part - as there is no are indomitus pattern terminator body with a aquila, so us truescalers had to sculpt our own. :wink:

Having done First Claw myself in truescale about two years ago, it´s very cool to see you made similar decisions as I have back then - especially on Mercution, for whom we used the exact same helmet and Heavy Bolter Muzzle bits - I haven't read the entire thread, but I'm guessing that is probably because (again) KrautScientist gave us both the same piece of excellent advice about that Chaos Hornblower bit! :biggrin.:

BTW: I noticed you went with MkII and MkIV for Uzas and Cyrion, respectively. Back when I created my First Claw, I minutely reread the whole trilogy to figure out the exact details about their appearance, and Uzas and Cyrion wear MkIII and MkII, respectively. I used the helmet you used on Uzas on Cyrion instead, for that reason. But one cannot replicate everything. Because not all details are given, and because not all the details that are given, can be conveyed in kitbashed/conversion form - unless one would sculpt the squad from scratch. Incidentally:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks Kraut, you are right about Mercutian's HB. I am planning to add the daemonic muzzle from the art work to the front of it so that should help it a little bit. As for Uzas, looking at the same artwork I feel that the World Eaters MKII helmet without the bunny ears is the best fit for him:

s-l500.jpg

It has the single eye lens as described in the book (if i'm remembering correctly) and also the spikes on the top from the picture. An added bonus is that their should be plenty of room to paint a hand print :biggrin.:.

I remember giving Augustus hell for choosing that same helmet (or one very much like it) for Uzas, but the helmet has really grown on me in the meantime -- there's something rather ironic about giving a model a dedicated World Eaters helmet, too :wink:

Instead, this is what I was given hell for: using that World Eater helmet on Cyrion - a Slaaneshi model -  instead. And rightly so! :biggrin.::wink::tongue.:

But kidding aside, my point is this: don't mind the fact that you can't be or chose to not be exact in your interpretation - your First Claw conveys your interpretation of First Claw, and what they meant to you, reading about them. Be sure to send the pictures to AD-B - I'm positive he'll love them and he might just post them on his blog!  When yours go around the web (and they will, the First Claw fanboydom reaches far outside this forum, and there are some dark corners, I assure you) don´t mind the criticasters! There are always going to be some people who disagree with how they actually look vs how they imagined their favourite model. Some may be constructive, helpful, and friendly (like Krauty!) but there will also be haters. My advice is: Be proud of your creation. Haters should try to make their own First Claw. :thumbsup:

EDIT: B&C code left out half of the original post again. I went back and rewrote it.
Edited by Augustus b'Raass

*How* could I have missed this amazing thread for so long - especially because you've been doing First Claw! Luckily, KrautSCientist gave you a shoutout in his thread. Yours are looking absolutely fantastic, buddy! Definitely the best 28mm version I've seen to date (I can't rule out kizzdougs truescalers, now, can I)

Your conversion of Xarl's MkVII helmet with ceremonial bat wings is particularly inspired - and I love how you used a Night Raptor body for him. It gives him a very feral, dynamic look. I always imagined Xarl as a very heavy-set, brute kind of guy, but yours is a very different, yet equally (if not more so) cool approach!

Talos is simply fantastic. I love the detail of his chest plate! I envy that power armoured aquila torso part - as there is no are indomitus pattern terminator body with a aquila, so us truescalers had to sculpt our own. :wink:

Having done First Claw myself in truescale about two years ago, it´s very cool to see you made similar decisions as I have back then - especially on Mercution, for whom we used the exact same helmet and Heavy Bolter Muzzle bits - I haven't read the entire thread, but I'm guessing that is probably because (again) KrautScientist gave us both the same piece of excellent advice about that Chaos Hornblower bit! :biggrin.:

BTW: I noticed you went with MkII and MkIV for Uzas and Cyrion, respectively. Back when I created my First Claw, I minutely reread the whole trilogy to figure out the exact details about their appearance, and Uzas and Cyrion wear MkIII and MkII, respectively. I used the helmet you used on Uzas on Cyrion instead, for that reason. But one cannot replicate everything. Because not all details are given, and because not all the details that are given, can be conveyed in kitbashed/conversion form - unless one would sculpt the squad from scratch. Incidentally:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks Kraut, you are right about Mercutian's HB. I am planning to add the daemonic muzzle from the art work to the front of it so that should help it a little bit. As for Uzas, looking at the same artwork I feel that the World Eaters MKII helmet without the bunny ears is the best fit for him:

s-l500.jpg

It has the single eye lens as described in the book (if i'm remembering correctly) and also the spikes on the top from the picture. An added bonus is that their should be plenty of room to paint a hand print :biggrin.:.

I remember giving Augustus hell for choosing that same helmet (or one very much like it) for Uzas, but the helmet has really grown on me in the meantime -- there's something rather ironic about giving a model a dedicated World Eaters helmet, too :wink:

Instead, this is what I was given hell for: using that World Eater helmet on Cyrion - a Slaaneshi model - instead. And rightly so! :biggrin.::wink::tongue.:

But kidding aside, my point is this: don't mind the fact that you can't be or chose to not be exact in your interpretation - your First Claw conveys your interpretation of First Claw, and what they meant to you, reading about them. Be sure to send the pictures to AD-B - I'm positive he'll love them and he might just post them on his blog! When yours go around the web (and they will, the First Claw fanboydom reaches far outside this forum, and there are some dark corners, I assure you) don´t mind the criticasters! There are always going to be some people who disagree with how they actually look vs how they imagined their favourite model. Some may be constructive, helpful, and friendly (like Krauty!) but there will also be haters. My advice is: Be proud of your creation. Haters should try to make their own First Claw. :thumbsup:

EDIT: B&C code left out half of the original post again. I went back and rewrote it.

Thanks Augustus :biggrin.:. I have really enjoyed making them. With the choice of helmet for Uzas I felt that the World Eaters helm better matched the artwork I was trying to follow. With Cyrion however, that was a mistake on my part but only realised after I had painted him :sad.:. I know they aren't exactly as described and I may one day soon remake Cyrion (I am not that happy with the finished model). Uzas on the other hand is my favourite character in the books and so I will leave him as is :thumbsup:.

I have seen your First Claw and, as it is with all of your work, they were a massive inspiration after seeing them on AD-B's blog :smile.:. Variel will be along shortly - someone touched him and now he is engaged in an unplanned surgical procedure but I do have a small teaser for everyone too:

I heard bolter fire...

Points for getting it right!

@hushrong - Thanks very much! I have done some more work on it so should have some pictures up soon.

Edited by Nemac Vradon

First up, regarding everything Auggs said above: QFT! :)

With Cyrion however, that was a mistake on my part but only realised after I had painted him :sad.:. I know they aren't exactly as described and I may one day soon remake Cyrion (I am not that happy with the finished model).

I'd argue the different mark of armour actually suits the character better than the gear he's described with in the books: There was always something suave about Cyrion that I feel is much better represented by the sleeker Mk. IV warplate. I think diverging from the "official" sources is pefectly fine when it actually works better. And it does, in this case.

But yeah, Uzas is the best. Both in the books and in model form ;)

I see what you mean, I hadn't picked up the Slaanesh influence on Cyrion so I may need to re read some of the books. MKII doesn't scream Slaanesh to me either. I guess the other option would be to give him a bare head with the helmet mag locked but I think modelling a smirk on said bare head may be beyond my ability. Guess I'll have a think about it and finish Variel first, I only have one arm left to do anyway.

I will also probably end up using the chirurgeon. Maybe adding a light to the centre of it. The issue is finding a bits seller for a normal backpack for an apothecary. They get them in stock and within five minutes they are gone again. I am also debating buying a bionic leg for the foot and replacing the foot on Variel that is covered by robes. The reason being I forgot entirely that he had a bionic leg.

The display board is coming together too - if it is finished around the same time as Variel then I will do some pictures in front of it :)

Nemac

I see what you mean, I hadn't picked up the Slaanesh influence on Cyrion so I may need to re read some of the books. MKII doesn't scream Slaanesh to me either. I guess the other option would be to give him a bare head with the helmet mag locked but I think modelling a smirk on said bare head may be beyond my ability. Guess I'll have a think about it and finish Variel first, I only have one arm left to do anyway.

I will also probably end up using the chirurgeon. Maybe adding a light to the centre of it. The issue is finding a bits seller for a normal backpack for an apothecary. They get them in stock and within five minutes they are gone again. I am also debating buying a bionic leg for the foot and replacing the foot on Variel that is covered by robes. The reason being I forgot entirely that he had a bionic leg.

The display board is coming together too - if it is finished around the same time as Variel then I will do some pictures in front of it :smile.:

Don;t forget, Cyrion also has lightning coming out from his vision slits, like tears. Being a big fan of the HH fluff, I never really associate any particular mark with a particular Legion - or God. Even colours really don't strike me as belonging to a particular god. Remember Forte once created a fantastic pink terminator that was instantly recognizable as Nurglite. But in the end, it's your call. For my First Claw, I didn't do the bionic leg for Variel because it was too much trouble... :D

I didn't forget, he has them :D. I'll try and get a clearer picture of him that shows them. My original thinking behind Variel's bionic leg was that surely he would still wear armour over it anyway. Take the Garro miniature for example, it still has armour over the leg. I'm sure a mass reactive would make short work of a bionic leg the same way it would unarmoured transhuman flesh.

The board is as finished as it can be for the moment bar the landspeeder so I will try and get some work done on Variel this weekend.

Edit: @Raztalin - he is interred :wink:

Nemac

Edited by Nemac Vradon

Thanks Bio :). Have you seen the pictures on Instagram? I have been meaning to add them to this thread but have been getting issues with my Wifi at home. I will try and get some taken and put up tonight or first thing in the morning

Morning all!

I have finally finished First Claw - Had a bit of a nightmare trying to get motivated to paint the rest of Variel and in the end decided to go with the Chirurgeon backpack instead of the standard apothecary one. The main reason is that Chirurgeon's look so cool :D. Anywho, here they are...

Variel:

SAM_1624.JPG

The entire First Claw:

SAM_1626.JPG

At some point I would like to take Malchy's advice about painting the runes on Talos' Combi-bolter but just need to pluck up the courage to attempt it. I recently switched from the standard set of Army Painter brushes to the Windsor and Newton Series 7's and have to say they have helped me dramatically. You can get much crisper lines with the Windsor and Newtons and they also last a lot longer if cared for properly.

Augustus will notice that there is a cut out of Cyrion in the top right corner - He doe's have lightning bolt tears, the same on both sides :wink:.

I have also been working on some objective markers using the crates from the Munitorum Containers kit. I figure Night Lords are scavengers so being on the field of battle and fighting for ammunition and promethium is as good a reason as any:

SAM_1630.JPG

As always C&C is very much welcome!

Nemac