World Eaters Points/Rules leaks

The monopose thing is annoying me lately quite a bit.

But getting past that (because 3rd party bits and model, plus 3D printing can offset that for me), I wanted to see World Eaters with several new Daemon engines and variant units and it really feels like an AoS style fire and forget army that is just a small handful of kits and a few characters.

Hopefully we'll see later waves for this army, but then that'll require another Codex release. Though I'm all for digital downloads and GW have been good at adding stuff like that.

So all in, mixed feelings. I really really wanted to be excited here but it just feels like a half an army job?

6 hours ago, Captain Idaho said:

So all in, mixed feelings. I really really wanted to be excited here but it just feels like a half an army job?

Me, completely. I have zero interest in the eightbound, but the cultists and berzerkers, and jugger lord, are all decent to great. Small 'collector' army? Maybe, but I dont know at this point.

Im so excited honestly not just a WE fanboy. If i didn't like something Id be very vocal about it.  I am very very excited......however I agree that is feels like they just started getting going with the models and rules and just.....stopped.  Almost like they wanted to do more but couldn't yet for some reaosn and threw out what they could.

20 minutes ago, betrayer41 said:

Im so excited honestly not just a WE fanboy. If i didn't like something Id be very vocal about it.  I am very very excited......however I agree that is feels like they just started getting going with the models and rules and just.....stopped.  Almost like they wanted to do more but couldn't yet for some reaosn and threw out what they could.

Its the Lumineth model of release. Scummy, but it is what it is.

I dont think it is, remember seemingly accurate rumours have elements of this release around since late 7th edition, its possible that the whole thing has just been sat on ice the whole time, or with minor tweaks and additions until it finally found its slot.

Minis that is, obviously this isnt a 7th ed codex :P 

1 hour ago, Sorot Saepirot said:

Allegedly WE were put off due to a issues with the molds themselves.  Because the grouping of units very much feels weird, and Invocatus feels like a wave 2 HQ

I heard that as well from 2 sources can't remember where.  Like these models were the ones they could get out on time so.....it's what we got for now

I'll tell ya, I'm certainly thankful this Thanksgiving that World Eaters aren't my primary army. 

I don't remember off-hand, but it seems like even Thousand Sons have more unique units and characters than WE. I didn't expect Death Guard level of unique units and characters, but this... this is disappointing. 

No Red Butchers? No Blood Slaughterer? No Teeth of Khorne or Brass Scorpion? 

It's not like GW even had to come up with a ton of new ideas, they literally have a bunch from past editions / HH that they could have pulled from. 

This is all obviously just my opinion, but it seems like this army was phoned in. Sad, especially for such an iconic Chaos Legion. 

30 minutes ago, Khornestar said:

I wonder if Arks of Omen: Angron will usher in the next wave of minis?

If they do that, then it would be very thematic as they'd have held back units from the codex to force people to buy another book causing a lot of berserk fury.

I'm convinced that GW will panic revise this Ark of Omens stuff when it doesn't sell because people really want new rules and won't pay for the background material or a game mode most people won't touch, so once the first couple books flop the 3rd will have new rules for Matched Play.

On that basis I fully expect new World Eaters stuff to be rushed/prioritised into like the 3rd Ark of Omen book to boost sales.

My guess is the lack of matched play rules is a response to the previous campaign books flopping real hard. It may not do better than them, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it not do worse than the war zone books.

I personally would be completely happy to never see matched play rules in campaign books again, unless they're actually themed to that. Like it's one thing for Badab War chapters to have some rules for that kind of campaign, it's another for Bloody Rose or Ultramarines or Death Guard to have them in there. PA was the bottom of the barrel there for me. For campaign books, I want to see maps, battle lines, etc.

1 minute ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

My guess is the lack of matched play rules is a response to the previous campaign books flopping real hard. It may not do better than them, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it not do worse than the war zone books.

I personally would be completely happy to never see matched play rules in campaign books again, unless they're actually themed to that. Like it's one thing for Badab War chapters to have some rules for that kind of campaign, it's another for Bloody Rose or Ultramarines or Death Guard to have them in there. PA was the bottom of the barrel there for me. For campaign books, I want to see maps, battle lines, etc.

Personally, I think matched play would be better taken out completely. I mean don’t take points out, but take the focus away from the hyper competitive nature of it. 

Agreed, Matched play has zero place in Narrative Campaigns. 

The clue is in the wording.

Keep Matched play to Dexes and their direct support docs.

+++Mental note to self and others, we are drifting into the Arcs topic. Let's steer back on course and take that there.+++

Edited by Interrogator Stobz

5 minutes ago, Interrogator Stobz said:

+++Mental note to self and others, we are drifting into the Arcs topic. Let's steer back on course and take that there.+++

Yeah, @Khornestar started putting us back to the right topic.

I'll just link his comment here, might be easier to just set a hard break on it.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

7 hours ago, DuskRaider said:

I'll tell ya, I'm certainly thankful this Thanksgiving that World Eaters aren't my primary army. 

I don't remember off-hand, but it seems like even Thousand Sons have more unique units and characters than WE. I didn't expect Death Guard level of unique units and characters, but this... this is disappointing. 

No Red Butchers? No Blood Slaughterer? No Teeth of Khorne or Brass Scorpion? 

It's not like GW even had to come up with a ton of new ideas, they literally have a bunch from past editions / HH that they could have pulled from. 

This is all obviously just my opinion, but it seems like this army was phoned in. Sad, especially for such an iconic Chaos Legion. 

Gotta suck to see the new Guard and Votann stuff around the same time with double the kits

9 hours ago, DuskRaider said:

I don't remember off-hand, but it seems like even Thousand Sons have more unique units and characters than WE.

Angron // Magnus

Khârn // Ahriman

Invocatus // Infernal Master

Juggerlord // Exalted Sorcerer

Berserkers // Rubricae

Eightbound // Scarab Occult

Exalted Eightbound // 

Jakhals // Tzaangor

Lord of Skulls //

So World Eaters are launching with slightly more options with 9 units vs the 6 TS had at their launch (the Infernal Master was a 9th Edition release). Even if you discount Khârn and the Lord of Skulls because they've already been around a long time, WE still come out on top.

You could make the argument that the Thousand Sons roster also includes Tzaangor Shaman, Enlightened and the Mutalith, but those things are really AoS models that were added in later Thousand Sons books. Something similar could always happen with things like the Khorgorath and Slaughterbrute being brought into a future World Eaters Codex.

Before anybody starts, I'm not saying this is good/right/fair, but it is objectively a better release than Thousand Sons had, even if that's not a particularly high bar to clear. I think it's a real shame and missed opportunity that we didn't see a Thunderwolf-style Juggernaut cavalry unit and a dedicated Terminator unit at the very least, and the inclusion of Traitor Guardsmen as a nod to the Blood Pact would have been another easy win for this Codex.

9 minutes ago, Halandaar said:

Angron // Magnus

Khârn // Ahriman

Berserkers // Rubricae

Exalted Eightbound // 

Jakhals // Tzaangor

Lord of Skulls //

So World Eaters are launching with slightly more options with 9 units vs the 6 TS had at their launch (the Infernal Master was a 9th Edition release). Even if you discount Khârn and the Lord of Skulls because they've already been around a long time, WE still come out on top.

You could make the argument that the Thousand Sons roster also includes Tzaangor Shaman, Enlightened and the Mutalith, but those things are really AoS models that were added in later Thousand Sons books. Something similar could always happen with things like the Khorgorath and Slaughterbrute being brought into a future World Eaters Codex.

Before anybody starts, I'm not saying this is good/right/fair, but it is objectively a better release than Thousand Sons had, even if that's not a particularly high bar to clear. I think it's a real shame and missed opportunity that we didn't see a Thunderwolf-style Juggernaut cavalry unit and a dedicated Terminator unit at the very least, and the inclusion of Traitor Guardsmen as a nod to the Blood Pact would have been another easy win for this Codex.

I mean the lord and named guy and the eight bound and exalted are the same boxes with 90% of the same bits and perform the same roles on the battlefield as the other option, one will just be slightly more points for a slightly better unit. That's about as lame if not lamer then porting over AoS stuff. And I would not count lord of skulls for WE, that's a vanilla codex khorne unit, not a dedicated WE unit. Might as well add cultist and vindicators to TS side then since they can use them and WE can't.

14 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

I mean the lord and named guy and the eight bound and exalted are the same boxes with 90% of the same bits and perform the same roles on the battlefield as the other option, one will just be slightly more points for a slightly better unit. That's about as lame if not lamer then porting over AoS stuff. And I would not count lord of skulls for WE, that's a vanilla codex khorne unit, not a dedicated WE unit. Might as well add cultist and vindicators to TS side then since they can use them and WE can't.

Well then you need to add Terminators and Master of Executions on the World Eaters side too and it all starts to get a bit silly.

The post I was responding to talked about UNITS rather than kits, which is why Invocatus/Juggerlord and Eightbound/Exalted are listed separately. If you want to talk specifically about new legion-unique KITS released at launch, then its WE 5 vs TS 6, and the only reason that difference is there is because Khârn has already been done, whereas Ahriman had not.

10 hours ago, Captain Idaho said:

I'm convinced that GW will panic revise this Ark of Omens stuff when it doesn't sell because people really want new rules and won't pay for the background material or a game mode most people won't touch, so once the first couple books flop the 3rd will have new rules for Matched Play.

On that basis I fully expect new World Eaters stuff to be rushed/prioritised into like the 3rd Ark of Omen book to boost sales.

GW doesn't put out campaign books to broaden the product range and target different markets. GW's product schedule just isn't flexible enough for them to react to sales, if its been previewed its been printed at least half a year ago.

15 hours ago, Scribe said:

Its the Lumineth model of release. Scummy, but it is what it is.

Lumineth have a perfectly viable range with pretty much everything a fantasy army needs (core infantry, archers, artillery, cavalry, wizards, a monster). There's no need for factions to have big expansion unit pools where most of those options are sub par duplicates. We don't need three different Phobos infantry types where there's weirdly more difference between the two load outs of Reivers than between carbine Reivers and the other two.

World Eaters are missing foot characters and fast attack, they don't need a ton of units.

Edited by Closet Skeleton

1 hour ago, Closet Skeleton said:

Lumineth have a perfectly viable range with pretty much everything a fantasy army needs (core infantry, archers, artillery, cavalry, wizards, a monster).

Well yeah but I suspect the point being made is that it took two separate release waves supported by two different battletomes for them to achieve the "perfectly viable range" they now have.

3 hours ago, Halandaar said:

Angron // Magnus

Khârn // Ahriman

Berserkers // Rubricae

Exalted Eightbound // 

Jakhals // Tzaangor

Lord of Skulls //

Can you even count the Lord of Skulls? That thing has been around forever and even then it's garbage.